Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't know it does say Liverpool would want in excess of €100M for him. That's pretty fine investigative journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I don't know it does say Liverpool would want in excess of €100M for him. That's pretty fine investigative journalism.

Surely you didnt read it,click bait,the more clicks the more encouragement to continue

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fieldog wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it is fairly standard for clubs to go around offering their best players to other teams. Seems legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/AHunterGuardian/status/1004392536025288704

Not too sure about this. But an ok back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AHunterGuardian/status/1004392536025288704

Not too sure about this. But an ok back up.

No thanks, looked pretty chunky during Stoke's run-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

corwill wrote: »
    No thanks, looked pretty chunky during Stoke's run-in.

He's always been THICC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The early domestic friendlies for the Academy and fringe players are as follows

Chester FC, Saturday July 7
    Tranmere Rovers, Wednesday July 11
    Bury, Saturday July 14
    Blackburn Rovers, Thursday July 19

the usual step up with each game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Our squad is wafer thin, and at 12m Shaqiri would be an excellent squad player.

He is not the player we thought he would become, but he is better than our current backup to Salah and Mane (ie: no one)

Pennant level signing, although Shaqiri would be expected to be a squad filler, not the answer to all the team's woes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

The price is tempting for Shaqiri alright, probably just snap him up for that reason alone, but he certainly has talent, Klopp could potentially harness it.

It's just a bit odd if you consider Fekir scores loads of goals and is deffo a target and they can't all play together when you filter in Wiji, Ox-Cham, Lallana (if he stays). Is the club going to bin all three second level forwards? Unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Lallana is little more than Sturridge’s replacement these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Our current front three options are

Mane, Firmino, Salah and nothing behind that is close to good enough

Lallana and Ox can fill in that position but it's not something you'd like to see happen for a period of games. Lallana is injury prone and Ox is out until November possibly later until he's fully fit. Our front three likely won't grab us 90 goals again and we were pretty lucky with injuries to them this year.

We need minimum two players for the front three, one needs to be a player who can slot right in and compete and then another who is either a known quantity squad player option (Shaqiri) or a young guy to bring along (Moses Daddy Simon) who will be ok with waiting for their chance. If Shaqiri was our fifth choice attacker come August I'd be ok with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£12m for a half decent squad player would be alright.

To be honest you could buy him for £12m as it is the clause for him to leave and sell him the next day for more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/Andersinho_ITA/status/1004419729346433024?s=19

Agent Bobby at work.

Edit: click into the tweet and you can translate. But the gist is Allison asked Bobby about Liverpool, Bobby said he hopes he comes but knows he has offers elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Shaqiri for £12m is an utter no brainer. Low risk, and a matchwinner from the bench if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Is Shaqiri not fat and slow? Couldn't see him fitting kloppball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Admittedly I havn't seen Stoke play outside of the games against Liverpool this year but I never would have put him in the slow category from seeing him play before then. Back in 2016 he was clocked as the fifth fastest at the Euros so there is some speed in there.

http://www.allsoccerplanet.com/2016/07/revealed-top-10-fastest-players-euro-2016/

Now these 'speed tests' always seem to throw up random players you wouldn't expect to see but it gives some sort of idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redzerdrog wrote: »

Wouldn't call him slow to be honest. He's just a weird squat little build, strong and stout with a really low centre of gravity. Reminds me of Deschamp a bit actually. Terrific player when he's on his game though. for that price, there's not really much to lose really.

Would be another who could play the tip of the midfield, or slot into the front 3. Would certainly prefer him coming into the front 3 over Lallana anyway - hate seeing Lallana up there, think he's been fairly consistently rubbish in that position. All his good performances come from CM.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    . All his good performances come from CM.

This pretty much sums up adam in a liverpool shirt ! He has only played well on the right hand side of the midfield since he has joined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Did you ever think that Klopp's team could make him lose weight?

I think he would be a great squad addition.

It seems that every signing from Salah to VVD gets negative reactions here.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Did you ever think that Klopp's team could make him lose weight?

I think he would be a great squad addition.

It seems that every signing from Salah to VVD gets negative reactions here.

Have I missed something? Has he actually signed?

Have I missed something? Has he actually signed?

No but linked and being discussed as an option.

No but linked and being discussed as an option.

So a bit of stretch to compare the possible signing of a 12m bench player to the signings above who were quite obviously gona improve our starting 11.

If he signs so well and good, klopp has gotten more right than wrong but he doesn't strike me as someone mobile enough to play the type of football klopp likes to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

IMHO I'd say no thank you to Shaquiri, unless Klopp et al know something about him that he hasn't shown at Stoke, seems like a talent but is he a worker.... I don't think so based on what I've seen.

The last lads I saw being touted around here as 'no brainers for the price' were Mario and Lambert. Mario was a fvcking disaster, Lambert less so but what he lacked in ability he at least tried to make up in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

IMHO I'd say no thank you to Shaquiri, unless Klopp et al know something about him that he hasn't shown at Stoke, seems like a talent but is he a worker.... I don't think so based on what I've seen.

The last lads I saw being touted around here as 'no brainers for the price' were Mario and Lambert. Mario was a fvcking disaster, Lambert less so but what he lacked in ability he at least tried to make up in work.

Never heard anyone say Mario was a nobrainer.

Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mario was brought in to be our main striker and replace Suarez.

Shaqiri would replace Lallana or Woodburn in the pecking order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

noodler wrote: »
    Never heard anyone say Mario was a nobrainer.

Never.

Think he was confusing it with all the people saying “Mario has no brain”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lyon-finally-indicate-allow-nabil-12658388?3

Maddock with an update on Fekir. Apparently Fekir is now saying he will only join Liverpool and Aulas saying he will do a deal if the price is right.

So a bit of stretch to compare the possible signing of a 12m bench player to the signings above who were quite obviously gona improve our starting 11.

If he signs so well and good, klopp has gotten more right than wrong but he doesn't strike me as someone mobile enough to play the type of football klopp likes to play

They were given as examples and at the time some called Salah a Chelsea flop/reject and many said there was better defenders out there than VVD.

For me, Klopp has en excellent success rate at Liverpool with his signings. He must have a 70-80% success rate which is ridiculous.

So if Klopp wants a player than it's good enough for me. I'd trust him and his team's judgement more than people on the internet with limited information or prejudiced viewpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Someone said he's better than what we have on the bench so that's good enough for now.

David Maddock seems to have come to the fore again for LFC rumourmongering.

Id imagine most of the journos out there even the ones in the loop havent got a clue what is going on at LFC tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Is Shaqiri the type of player that is ever going to be in a squad that wins the Premier League?

Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Is Shaqiri the type of player that is ever going to be in a squad that wins the Premier League?

Never.

I can never understand these statements. Loads of winning teams have had average squad players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Never.

a bit of deja vu when robertson and chamberlain were signed,maybe not by you but plenty others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Never.

He’s better than a hell of a lot of players that where in our squads throughout the Fergie years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Shaqiri is an obviously talented player that's maybe lost his way a bit. We've seen what Klopp can do with players like that, ala Ox.

Good cover for the front 3.
    Good price.
    Good age and good experience.

I'd be all for it if the rumours we are interested in him are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is he the type that could come back next summer & looking like he ate his younger self? Possibly :o
    Add him to Pulisic, Fekir, Dembele, Bergwijn & Simon as attackers who we are "in" for. Not to mention players in other positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I'd rather see Shaqiri come on as a sub for Mane or Salah than any of the other current options (Ox, Lallana, Ings, Woodburn, Solanke). Serious talent on the ball and can unlock a defence.

Would improve the squad / bench if not the first team.

I know I would have rathered a fit Shaqiri to come off the bench for Salah in the final than lallana who was out all season injured.

I have to say it’s nice to see one of our players talk about a player who is a target at another club for a change.

Now Bobby starting about Neymar for sh1ts and giggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

World Cup,could get tasty of Brazil get Spain

https://www.twitter.com/goal/status/1004442950691053568

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Never.

Victor Moses. Fabien Delph.

Both played far more in title winning sides that we ever could have foreseen.

They were given as examples and at the time some called Salah a Chelsea flop/reject and many said there was better defenders out there than VVD.

For me, Klopp has en excellent success rate at Liverpool with his signings. He must have a 70-80% success rate which is ridiculous.

So if Klopp wants a player than it's good enough for me. I'd trust him and his team's judgement more than people on the internet with limited information or prejudiced viewpoints.

So because someone else spouted rubbish about vvd and salah we cant question anyone that we are linked with anymore. What a load of nonsense!!

It is not as of he is signed, if so od be on the same boat as you and think klopp has certainly got more right than wrong. But if we cant comment on the suitability of players who are tentatively linked then that is nonsense.

If we sign him fair enough I am wrong but he doesn't strike me as someone is particularly suited to us

• Advertisement

I know I would have rathered a fit Shaqiri to come off the bench for Salah in the final than lallana who was out all season injured.

A fit Lallana > a fit shaqiri though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

A fit Lallana > a fit shaqiri though

As a midfielder yes, as a forward, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Never.

Darren Gibson has a PL medal :o

New signing.

The man to rebuild Lallana and Sturridge.
    #LFC can confirm the appointment of Philipp Jacobsen as the club's new medical rehabilitation and performance manager.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1004332088739422208

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

A fit Shaquiri would be an unreal addition to our team. Been following him since we were linked with him back at his Inter days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement