Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Whoever klopp wants im fully getting behind, certainly wouldnt have been on my list but for the price touted its a sensible transfer. Perhaps klopp can sell a last chance saloon type vision for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Darren Gibson has a PL medal :o

He didn't cost £12 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Now this is going too far if you ask me !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Knex. wrote: »
    Victor Moses. Fabien Delph.

Both played far more in title winning sides that we ever could have foreseen.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

You need players like these to create the right sort of depth. Ings and Solanke have 1 league goal each this season, and neither of them look a good fit for slotting into the front 3 positions when one of the 1st team are injured.

Shaqiri is the right age and PL-proven (8 goals, 9 assists last season in a truly rubbish side). I won't go so far as to say it's a no brainer, but if matched Klopp's requirements then £12 million is a good buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Vicxas wrote: »
    A fit Shaquiri would be an unreal addition to our team. Been following him since we were linked with him back at his Inter days.

Been following hin since his Basel days :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

He didn't cost £12 million.

I sincerely hope you're not comparing Shaqiri (who has admittedly not lived up to his potential but nevertheless has done well in an extremely **** Stoke side) with Darren ****in Gibson, because that would be a very, very stupid thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I sincerely hope you're not comparing Shaqiri (who has admittedly not lived up to his potential but nevertheless has done well in an extremely **** Stoke side) with Darren ****in Gibson, because that would be a very, very stupid thing to do.

Gibson actually has a good player in him, unfortunately he has been hammered by injuries throughout his career and is near ruined. He hasnt coped with that well either.

Ross Barkley, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Andre Ayew, Theo Walcott, Guido Carillo, Andre Gray, Michael Keane, Kevin Wimmer, Chris Wood, Sam Clucas, and Britt Assombalonga have all gone for far more than Shaqiri in the past 12mths and yet for some reason, seemingly half of our fanbase is divided on whether he's worth getting for less than any of this lot of eejits.

12m is literally chump change in this market and for that money, Shaqiri is an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Now this is going too far if you ask me !!

Literally any vitriolic personal abuse directly to a player is going too far, let alone any sort of threat. And a threat to their family and loved ones... those are matters that should result in charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

redzerdrog wrote: »
    So because someone else spouted rubbish about vvd and salah we cant question anyone that we are linked with anymore. What a load of nonsense!!

It is not as of he is signed, if so od be on the same boat as you and think klopp has certainly got more right than wrong. But if we cant comment on the suitability of players who are tentatively linked then that is nonsense.

If we sign him fair enough I am wrong but he doesn't strike me as someone is particularly suited to us

In fairness, you commented earlier that's he's fat and slow that's nowhere near the reality, he's a stocky little speedster, you're not exactly coming into this discussion armed with much knowledge of the player, so probably best not to question the potential signing.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Gibson actually has a good player in him, unfortunately he has been hammered by injuries throughout his career and is near ruined. He hasnt coped with that well either.

He's been between average and muck his entire career. The fact he's even mentioned in the same breath as Xherdan Shaqiri shocks me tbh. I get we're all irish here so he's bound to come up at some stage, but this is apples and oranges we're talking about here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Well actually I am in a way.
    Is Shaqiri the type of player that is ever going to be in a squad that wins the Premier League?

Never.

And my response was to point out that Utd won a PL with Darren Gibson in the squad and Shaqiri is a much much better player than him.

Ulysses Gaze responded to say but Darren Gibson didn't cost £12m which is kind of pointless as a) he was "home grown" by Utd in the same way Ryan Giggs didn't cost them anything and b) the original assertion wasn't about the price/value of a player it was purely about talent so it's not even worth responding to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Sturridge origi ings should be sold
    Solanke goes on loan
    Brewster to first team squad if he doesn’t leave
    There is not a hope we will be as lucky next year with our front three remaining injury free. Shaqiri for 12 million is a no brainer for me-sign him asap.
    Firmino,mane,salah,shaqiri,Brewster and Fekir/another.

I’d sell lallana markovic and grujic
    Fabinho,hendo,ox,winj,keita,Milner

Backline sell Moreno and clyne
    Robertson and taa with Gomez and Milner as back up in either position

VVD, Lovren,matip,klavan,Gomez, and 1 more superstar.

Sell mignolet and ward
    But oblak Allinson Karius as back up

There really is not too much work to be done in the market to get our squad up to a level where we could challenge in all competitions.

I think we have our midfield sorted and backline for the most part.
    Keeper is priority one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Solanke goes on loan
    There is not a hope we will be as lucky next year with our front three remaining injury free. Shaqiri for 12 million is a no brainer for me-sign him asap.

Sell mignolet and ward

There really is not too much work to be done in the market to get our squad up to a level where we could challenge in all competitions.

Keeper is priority one

Not sure why you'd be selling Clyne. Buy Oblak and Alisson and keep Karius as number 3? Not asking for much are you.

I'd also keep Lallana as backup CM, not for front 3. If he can't stay fit this coming season then offload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

In fairness, you commented earlier that's he's fat and slow that's nowhere near the reality, he's a stocky little speedster, you're not exactly coming into this discussion armed with much knowledge of the player, so probably best not to question the potential signing.

I actually asked is he not fat and slow as that is the perception he gives. Some players can be deceptively quick though, maybe Shaqiri is one of them but still wouldn't have a high pressing game as particularly suiting him.

At 12million though its not as if it matters either way however still suprised by the links to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Solanke goes on loan

Sell mignolet and ward

Keeper is priority one

Why are you selling our entire midfield?
    Two of them haven't even had a game for us yet?

Why are you selling our entire midfield?
    Two of them haven't even had a game for us yet?

He's proposing the first 3 mentioned are sold, the others are what he reckons would be adequate/good to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Literally any vitriolic personal abuse directly to a player is going too far, let alone any sort of threat. And a threat to their family and loved ones... those are matters that should result in charges.

I read it as getting dumped by his girlfriend was going too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

robwen wrote: »
    Come on thats fake as fake can be

The real James Pearce

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho

Not you of course....whoever the sad case is running that account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ross Barkley, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Andre Ayew, Theo Walcott, Guido Carillo, Andre Gray, Michael Keane, Kevin Wimmer, Chris Wood, Sam Clucas, and Britt Assombalonga have all gone for far more than Shaqiri in the past 12mths and yet for some reason, seemingly half of our fanbase is divided on whether he's worth getting for less than any of this lot of eejits.

12m is literally chump change in this market and for that money, Shaqiri is an absolute bargain.

Not all about getting a good deal.

Shaqiri lacks the pace & running ability to be a good option for us.
    Scores some great goals then goes missing for weeks.

I would prefer a player with pace as back up.
    Adama Traore for 20m would be a better option. Has lots of flaws but a good option off the bench with his pace & driibbling.

Indeed, he's only value if we need and then utilise him.
    Unless FSG are interested in buying to sell on again to make a few quid, which I doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, he's only value if we need and then utilise him.
    Unless FSG are interested in buying to sell on again to make a few quid, which I doubt.

Which is actually a great idea if you think about it; he's a fantastic player, don't let the fact he has a bodyshape like spongebob squarepants fool you, he's worth a lot more than 12m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

backup to Shaquiri? :D
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44380883

Babel back to DJ in the dressing room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I can never understand these statements. Loads of winning teams have had average squad players.

Yes, totally agree. I see this sort of statement regularly from some united fans who think you can have a squad of 23 top quality players which is unrealistic.

You are lucky if you can have 16 very good players. In terms of winning leagues I think having 5-8 core substitutes who can come in and do a competent job. They don’t have to be exceptional but if a team generally has the core same eleven starting, then one or two changes shouldn’t make a huge difference.

Looking on the outside in I would think that a central defender to partner Van dijk would be extremely useleful to Liverpool. Perhaps a good central midfielder to strengthen that area. Asides from that I wouldn’t know what other areas you guys would be desperate to address.

I am not sure that Klopp can persist with Karius even if the concussion story is true so I suppose that’s another area Liverpool might need to address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Shaqiri is a no brainer

Would really like him at the club.

Those saying goes missing, I would too if I had Diouf as a CF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Has Shaqiri even been linked with us yet? I can see a team like West Ham, Everton or even Arsenal snapping him up if he stays in the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

At the moment we don't have a plan B or someone who could spark a little magic off the bench, if we keep recruiting like for like teams will figure us out.
    More than happy to wind up Shaqiri and let him loose for the last 25 when we can't break down teams.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Which is actually a great idea if you think about it; he's a fantastic player, don't let the fact he has a bodyshape like spongebob squarepants fool you, he's worth a lot more than 12m.

Indeed, but I don't think FSG would do so. Just opinion of course, they like their stats and value no doubt but they aren't Arthur Daley or Dellboy either :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Has Klopp ever signed a player like Shaqiri, someone who regardless of talent is known to be both lazy and disruptive? They seem contrary to what he looks for in a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Looks like Allison and Oblak are no gos at the moment? Seems odd at this stage. Especially if the links to Leto and McCarthy are true, neither seem better than what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

And my response was to point out that Utd won a PL with Darren Gibson in the squad and Shaqiri is a much much better player than him.

And we won a Champions League with Djimi Traore in the team.

Doesn't make either a fantastic player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Has Klopp ever signed a player like Shaqiri, someone who regardless of talent is known to be both lazy and disruptive? They seem contrary to what he looks for in a player

Where does the lazy come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Where does the lazy come from?

Bayern & Inter heavily implied he didn't put the work in when he was there. Put it this way there is a reason he ended up at a side like Stoke & not a Spurs or Arsenal

Looks like Allison and Oblak are no gos at the moment?............

Thought we were close to a £50m deal for Alison?

LiamoSail wrote: »

Mane didn’t have the best reputation in either of those two departments before joining us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

https://twitter.com/maddockmirror/status/1004452494582472705?s=21

No progress with keeper search for @LFC. Oblak priced out of market by Atletico, and Liverpool will NOT bid at £88m. Sources say will be "very difficult" to get Alisson out of Roma too. Liverpool may be forced to look elsewhere. Saints' McCarthy on radar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mane didn’t have the best reputation in either of those two departments before joining us.

... that said, aren't those the exact reasons he got rid of Sakho?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

... that said, aren't those the exact reasons he got rid of Sakho?

He inherited Sakho but bought Mane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Really? Can't say I recall that! I just remember Southampton fans claiming that he only played when the sun shined - August to October and March to May. His goal return here isn't actually too far off that... :eek::pac:
    https://twitter.com/maddockmirror/status/1004452494582472705?s=21

No progress with keeper search for @LFC. Oblak priced out of market by Atletico, and Liverpool will NOT bid at £88m. Sources say will be "very difficult" to get Alisson out of Roma too. Liverpool may be forced to look elsewhere. Saints' McCarthy on radar

Alex McCarthy? F*cking hell that's some drop off from Oblak and Alisson.

The Mirror link us to Bernd Leno but also suggest Neto (Valencia), Cilissen (Barcelona), Strakosha (Lazio) and Butland.

Never heard of Strakosha - anyone have an insight there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ERG89 wrote: »
    Bayern & Inter heavily implied he didn't put the work in when he was there. Put it this way there is a reason he ended up at a side like Stoke & not a Spurs or Arsenal

Didn't Klopp say before that he meets players and then knows if their attitude is right or not.

I don't see what the issue is? He's talented and available at a cheap price.

If Klopp wants him then go for it and if it doesn't work out then it's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Simon Hughes hinting that there may be another Liverpool transfer in the next 24 hours. I presume probably Shaqiri rather than Fekir as it's an easier deal to complete.

Not against the Shaqiri deal if it happens. He doesn't seem like a very Klopp type player but I think you are in decent shape if he is a squad player for you coming off the bench. Not sure how he would take not playing every week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We're not seriously signing Shaqiri are we.... surely.

The fact it's all Mersey-side based journalists saying it, suggests to me that it may not be true. They don't get info anymore. Very little unimportant in the grand scheme of things, if anything.

None of them knew about Fabinho
    None of them knew about VVD (when he signed)
    None of them knew about Keita (when he signed)
    Can't remember if any of them had the Firmino contract either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Moses Simon is a likely option too - that one seemed to be pretty far along when reported earlier this week.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see it as a €10million and loaned back for a year, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Shaq wouldn't be a bad signing,for all our midfielders efforts we haven't one that can consistently put in a killer pass. Shaq is one of the best passers of a ball in PL

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Shaq wouldn't be a bad signing,for all our midfielders efforts we haven't one that can consistently put in a killer pass. Shaq is one of the best passers of a ball in PL

I really don't see him as a player competing for the starting 11 which is what we should be trying to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I really don't see him as a player competing for the starting 11 which is what we should be trying to sign.

Well I'd see him as more of a player competing for the starting 11 than Solanke, Origi, Ings Sturridge etc. We need strength in depth & Shaq definitely has something to offer IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Boom_Bap wrote: »

We are trying to sign players to come into the first 11. Fabinho, Fekir, Alisson/Oblak if reports are true. Doesn't mean we don't lack quality on the bench, and for 12m Shaqiri would definitely be cheap, quality on the bench. Our squad is quite light and not everyone we sign can be a 50-60m superstar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The great thing is if the shaqiri signing is true he is coming in as a squad filler nothing else. In recent years he would have been a guaranteed starter and our main summer signing. The club and the team have moved to an entirely different level under klopp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement