Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

punk_one82 wrote: »
    We are trying to sign players to come into the first 11. Fabinho, Fekir, Alisson/Oblak if reports are true. Doesn't mean we don't lack quality on the bench, and for 12m Shaqiri would definitely be cheap, quality on the bench. Our squad is quite light and not everyone we sign can be a 50-60m superstar.

But if we sign someone like Fekir, that is a starting 11 player, so that pushes either Mane/Bobby/Salah into bench rotation. That negates the need for a player that signed for the squad to compete for starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Not sure how he would take not playing every week though.

If he accepted playing week in week out for Stoke he'll probably relish the chance to play a lesser role at Liverpool. With League Cup, FA Cup, injuries and hopefully games where some of the front 3 are either rested or subbed off early he could get a hat full of chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    But if we sign someone like Fekir, that is a starting 11 player, so that pushes either Mane/Bobby/Salah into bench rotation. That negates the need for a player that signed for the squad to compete for starting 11.

TBH I see Fekir playing more an ACM role with Keita and Fabinho and the front 3 staying as it has been all season, with the option for him to play further forward if someone is injured/being rested. These sort of players can play in multiple positions and the ability to rotate our midfield and front 3 is something we've seriously lacked this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Going to a long season though. Liverpool were lucky last season that Mane, Salah and Firmino played most of the games. An extended period sidelined for one or even two of those (remember when both Torres and Gerrard were out injured for weeks at the same time) would be a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

This is probably the first time in a long time that I won't be able to say without even thinking about it that "I trust Klopp regardless of what he does in the transfer market" but I accept what people are saying that Shaquiri would be purely squad filler.

Though if it's true I've no doubt Klopp is quietly thinking about tapping the player's apparent potential.

I'm ok with it anyway. Interesting development to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

For 12m I'd happily take him from Stoke.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

TBH I see Fekir playing more an ACM role with Keita and Fabinho and the front 3 staying as it has been all season, with the option for him to play further forward if someone is injured/being rested. These sort of players can play in multiple positions and the ability to rotate our midfield and front 3 is something we've seriously lacked this season.

But that's the same thing really, it pushed Lallana/Ox/Wij/Henderson/Milner onto the bench who would be competing for starting 11.

And the beauty of a signing such as Fekir means there are more options.

So I guess what I'm saying is that any signings we make should be for the first 11 pushing existing first 11 players into competition for starting and bench...rather than looking for Shaq who would be a bench player trying to get game time.

We should be looking to our U23's for that type of player, such as Wilson/Woodburn.
    Not saying Shaq doesn't have his good points, but I'd rather see us buy competition for places over a bench player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If Liverpool were selling Mane or Salah to replace him with Shaquiri then I can see what people would be odd.

This is not the case. He will be bought as back-up and so that when Klopp looks at the bench, he's not looking at a bunch of teenagers and lames.

But that's the same thing really, it pushed Lallana/Ox/Wij/Henderson/Milner onto the bench who would be competing for starting 11.

And the beauty of a signing such as Fekir means there are more options.

So I guess what I'm saying is that any signings we make should be for the first 11 pushing existing first 11 players into competition for starting and bench...rather than looking for Shaq who would be a bench player trying to get game time.

We should be looking to our U23's for that type of player, such as Wilson/Woodburn.
    Not saying Shaq doesn't have his good points, but I'd rather see us buy competition for places over a bench player

I disagree. How often have we played FA/League cup games with a second rate side and been completely void of any creativity at all, or even lower PL teams? We have all these backup players who offer very little in terms of creating chances, while still decent players in their own right. We could easily start Shaqiri in an early round cup game, giving someone like Salah a rest and still be confident of scoring goals, or have someone like Shaqiri coming off the bench with a little bit of magic in him, rather than Lallana who'll Cruyff turn his way into oblivion.

I disagree. How often have we played FA/League cup games with a second rate side and been completely void of any creativity at all, or even lower PL teams? We have all these backup players who offer very little in terms of creating chances, while still decent players in their own right. We could easily start Shaqiri in an early round cup game, giving someone like Salah a rest and still be confident of scoring goals, or have someone like Shaqiri coming off the bench with a little bit of magic in him, rather than Lallana who'll Cruyff turn his way into oblivion.

That's a good point, but if for example a league game we had to pick 3 of Mane/Salah/Fekir/Firmino to start, if the next game is a cup game, surely we would play the 4th who didn't start the previous game and have that type of rotation...along with having the odd U23 player thrown in the mix as well.

• Advertisement

That's a good point, but if for example a league game we had to pick 3 of Mane/Salah/Fekir/Firmino to start, if the next game is a cup game, surely we would play the 4th who didn't start the previous game and have that type of rotation...along with having the odd U23 player thrown in the mix as well.

But that was my point, I think Fekir would be the creativity from CM that we currently have none of. That then leaves Mane, Salah and Bobby the same as before. What if one of those gets injured or we're playing a cup game? Shaqiri slots in, Fekir stays where he is and we don't end up with a vanilla midfield who'll work like donkeys but give us nothing going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Shaqiri is a great bench upgrade for 13m. He's knows if he comes he'll be second fiddle to our front three too, so I cant see him kicking up a fuss when he knows we've got the most exciting forward line in europe and he's not going to be starting every game. He was close to joining us before, so would probably jump at the second chance (just like salah did;)) and now he's got the added benefit of working with Klopp.
    I'm actually surprised he's only 26, thought he was late 20' early 30's...seems to have been around for years. In today's market to get a player of his experience for that amount of money seems like a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

While it's important to have bodies to shoulder the load of Klopp's high intensity system, I think it's also important that players have some semblance of rhythm.

That would mean we can't have too large a squad either.

Maybe we can fit him in, but if we're working off having 5 for the front 3 (Bob, Salah, Mane, Fekir, +1) that basically all play a full season taking into account rotation, suspension and injuries, then I think that's enough.
    Whoever else can fill in there has to be happy enough basically not featuring. Maybe that's Shaqiri. Maybe we're better off leaving it to the youngsters.

I certainly wouldn't want him to be one of those 5 though, but if Klopp wants him, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'd have brought Shaqiri on vs Real instead of Lallana when Salah went off. He'd have made a better option against Stoke than Ings or Milner. Instead of bringing on Klavan to shore things up like against Roma, he's an option for an attacking substitution that keeps the pressure on. He's a better dead-ball taker than anyone on the team currently, and he's harmlessly cheap. There might be questions about his work-rate and perhaps his attitude, but he's a no-brainer of a squad player for me. Sign him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

brevity wrote: »
    This is not the case. He will be bought as back-up and so that when Klopp looks at the bench, he's not looking at a bunch of teenagers and lames.

i don't see how some don't get this.

low risk.
    cheap (relatively).
    can shoot and create on a high level on occasion.
    he'll only be backup.
    we desperately need cover for the front 3.
    he can also hit a set piece.

we don't need him to be desperately consistent. if he wants to become consistent, then great. he'll be viable competition then. but if we're buying him, it's not with a view to starting him.

i'd prefer that any substantial funds go into other areas of the team. we don't need to improve the front 3, so we don't need to invest heavily there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Shaqiri & Fekir are signed.

Fabinho (Henderson), Keita (Ox), Fekir (Shaqiri) Gini, Milner, Lallana & Gurjic.

That would be a decent squad of players to pick a starting three from.

It's the front three where we need proper cover as well.

Ox, Shaqiri, Fekir & Lallana could all play the dual roles of midfield and front three however I'd want some real cover Ings, Solanke & Origi probably won't cut it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Signing Shaqiri for 12m to be a bench player is a genuine sign of progress.

We haven't been in a position to sign a player like him to willingly sit on the bench for God knows when. Perhaps never.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Shaqiri & Fekir are signed.

Fabinho (Henderson), Keita (Ox), Fekir (Shaqiri) Gini, Milner, Lallana & Gurjic.

That would be a decent squad of players to pick a starting three from.

It's the front three where we need proper cover as well.

Ox, Shaqiri, Fekir & Lallana could all play the dual roles of midfield and front three however I'd want some real cover Ings, Solanke & Origi probably won't cut it next season.

No one we have been linked with is either a potential replacement for Firmino in the case of injury, or can play the CF role, even in a different manner to Bobby. Perhaps Klopp thinks that Salah/Mane/Fekir (if signed) could adapt in a similar way that Bobby did if needed? As said, we need to reduce the need for use of people like Ings/Solanke as a focal point.

Knex. wrote: »

We haven't been in a position to sign a player like him to willingly sit on the bench for God knows when. Perhaps never.

He's been very ish at stoke for two seasons. I dunno what a player like him would do in our set up but I'd think Ox is more effective TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Knex. wrote: »

He got relegated with Stoke.

Despite some goals I was not impressed with last season.

Seems like a poor character as well.
    Shaqiri admits to missing his illustrious former colleagues, with his time in the Premier League having been a “sobering” experience.

He told Schweizer Illustrierte: "The feeling that even a Ronaldinho could do little in this team is sobering.

"I had to realise that it's a bit different when you have players like Ribery and Thiago at Bayern or Icardi and [Mateo] Kovacic at Inter.

"Here at Stoke I cannot exert too much influence, simply because there is a lack of quality around me."

Having aired his frustration at seeing challenges for titles and European places swapped for a relegation scrap at the bet365 Stadium, Shaqiri has hinted that his days at Stoke may be numbered.

He added: "I cannot just down tools but it would take something extreme for Stoke in the transfer market this summer to revive my enthusiasm.”

Shaqiri is currently enjoying his most productive season with the Potters, even if those around him have struggled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

However, any potential move will not be completed before the World Cup, with Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas delivering a blow to Liverpool’s hopes.

“The deal is at a standstill. Nothing has happened,” he told the club’s official website, according to Sport Witness.

“The whole thing will certainly not be completed during the World Cup, and I don’t think anything will change before it.

“We haven’t set a starting price because we haven’t discussed that yet.”

The above quotes were carried on football365, citing Sport Witness (not familiar with this site?) as the source.

Not quite sure what the "blow" is, it's simply restating the position that Lyon have held all along - no deal until after the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

MD1990 wrote: »
    He got relegated with Stoke.

Despite some goals I was not impressed with last season.

Seems like a poor character as well.

Was he wrong though?

The first reply sums up the internet.

Google translate.
    The file @NabilFekir will not buckle before or during the @FIFAWorldCup."

https://twitter.com/OL/status/1004720869640417280

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Double post

Having the likes of shaqiri in your squad makes the likelihood of giving the domestic cups a good go.
    Karius
    clyne matip Gomez moreno
    Milner wijnaldum llalana
    Ox new backup striker shaqiri
    This is the type of team we could put out in cup games next season. Being able to do this keeps our better players fresh for other games. This is why the likes of utd/ city can target the domestic cups they have the squad for it. We haven't had that type of squad for years. Also before/ after European games 3 or 4 of the above can come into the team or around the busy Xmas period. We either haven't been able to do this or when we did the drop off in quality was too much. I'd be fairly confident off a trophy next year due to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Having the likes of shaqiri in your squad makes the likelihood of giving the domestic cups a good go.
    Karius
    clyne matip Gomez moreno
    Milner wijnaldum llalana
    This is the type of team we could put out in cup games next season. Being able to do this keeps our better players fresh for other games. This is why the likes of utd/ city can target the domestic cups they have the squad for it. We haven't had that type of squad for years.

My thoughts exactly.

Karius
    clyne matip Gomez moreno
    Milner wijnaldum llalana
    This is the type of team we could put out in cup games next season. Being able to do this keeps our better players fresh for other games. This is why the likes of utd/ city can target the domestic cups they have the squad for it. We haven't had that type of squad for years. Also before/ after European games 3 or 4 of the above can come into the team or around the busy Xmas period. We either haven't been able to do this or when we did the drop off in quality was too much. I'd be fairly confident off a trophy next year due to this

Idiot.

mosstin wrote: »
    Idiot.

Ha ha

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Karius
    clyne matip Gomez moreno
    Milner wijnaldum llalana

Having a different XI for domestic cups is nice in theory but it won't work. Utd play pretty much full strength teams in cups, with some rotation, but certainly not full rotation. Playing players that intermittently would be bad for their motivation and players who don't play together lack cohesion as well.

What we need is the ability to have a large number of players play 30-50 games in a 60 games season (if we do well in cups), which implies far more integration than Just needing them when needed via injury or for cup games to avoid injuring our more important players.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Having a different XI for domestic cups is nice in theory but it won't work. Utd play pretty much full strength teams in cups, with some rotation, but certainly not full rotation. Playing players that intermittently would be bad for their motivation and players who don't play together lack cohesion as well.

What we need is the ability to have a large number of players play 30-50 games in a 60 games season (if we do well in cups), which implies far more integration than Just needing them when needed via injury or for cup games to avoid injuring our more important players.

I'm not advocating different starting XI but can see how thats how my post came across. It was more an example of a team of back up options that could stand in at any time. Ideally in cup games it would be a mix and match .

I'd be firmly in the happy to sign Shaq camp also. Don't really see the downside. Quality player and a serious option off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Fekir looks close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fekir looks close

Wanna share with the rest of the class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fekir looks close
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Wanna share with the rest of the class?

He's stalking him! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Moreno being no. 2 left back is still a problem. I would buy an expensive bottle of wine if he was somehow shown the door this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ballyargus wrote: »
    Moreno being no. 2 left back is still a problem. I would buy an expensive bottle of wine if he was somehow shown the door this summer

Bigger problem is CB. A bad injury to VVD and we are back to the 3 stooges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Reddy seems to have the ear of Klopp so on the Fekir front it's encouraging.... less so on the keeper front. Club didn't care about breaking the record for a defender so hopefully it's the same mentality for a GK.

Reddy on Alisson.

Liverpool iced talks in February on the gloveman when they were quoted £62m.

Gloveman. Gloveman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Reddy on Alisson.

Liverpool iced talks in February on the gloveman when they were quoted £62m.

Gloveman. Gloveman.

My favourite was when the Guardian referred to Shaqiri as 'the world's first rectangular shaped footballer'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Seems everyone is on the fekir bandwagon must be close now

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    My favourite was when the Guardian referred to Shaqiri as 'the world's first rectangular shaped footballer'...

Shaqiri is a prop who ended up playing a different game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So we still need a keeper , CB and forward after Fekir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

L'Equippe reporting that Fekir is agreed and done. Having a medical tomorrow

Edit, link:

https://m.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Nabil-fekir-a-un-pas-de-liverpool/908757

Allison
    TAA--New--VVD--Robbo
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Fekir
    --Salah-Firmino-Mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Leverkusens keeper Leno being heavily linked to Liverpool tonight by reliable German journalists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Allison
    TAA--New--VVD--Robbo
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Fekir
    --Salah-Firmino-Mane

Bit narrow in the middle Harry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Allison
    TAA--New--VVD--Robbo
    Fabinho
    Keita
    Fekir
    --Salah-Firmino-Mane

Oh my what a first XI that would be.

Some strong options from the bench too. I'm hoping we actually bring origi back too, never understand why he went on loan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement