Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

astradave wrote: »
    Does getting these players in that will definitely improve the first 11, raise expectations for ye? Do ye have a min expectation yet for next season?

Next year is our year ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Is crazy that anyone thought Liverpool overpaid for Bobby but it just illustrated the ignorance of many. Edwards was being judged on Rodgers shoddy use of him really.

You need a manager to attract the top players, imagine a phone call from Klopp and Rodgers asking you about joining the team.
    The Klopp phone call will always win hands down if you ask me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Does getting these players in that will definitely improve the first 11, raise expectations for ye? Do ye have a min expectation yet for next season?

My expectations will be that we play entertaining football and win lots of games. A trophy would be lovely but not a must have I guess in that I won't be calling for Klopp to leave if we finish 3rd on 80 points but don't win a trophy. it really depends on how things go overall I guess and I can't definitively say what is good enough. I'd love for us to get 80 points and win a trophy. I'd really love for us to challenge for the PL, but that is contingent on City or anyone else not running away with it again with a huge run of wins in a row.

As things stand,I genuinely think we have about 14 players that stack up well to City's best 14 players, but there is still a drop off in quality after that. A good season in terms of injuries, and a goalie who performs well and who knows what could happen.

There will be a point where Klopp will be judged on no trophies, especially if he never really challenges for the league title, but I don't think next season is that season, for me anyhow. It is hard to overstate how happy most of us are to have Klopp as manager at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is crazy that anyone thought Liverpool overpaid for Bobby but it just illustrated the ignorance of many. Edwards was being judged on Rodgers shoddy use of him really.

He was worth it for this alone tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Anyone watch the English game? Saw that Hendo and TAA got subbed at 64min, so just wondering if they did anything to push into the starting line-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You need a manager to attract the top players, imagine a phone call from Klopp and Rodgers asking you about joining the team.
    The Klopp phone call will always win hands down if you ask me.

Or even a text from Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Or even a text from Gerrard.

Thats pretty embarrasing in fairness , the manager should be the one to be selling the project and not the players.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Next year is our year ;)

If I knew which keeper we are signing, if any, I would be very very tempted to back us for the league.

A keeper a center back and a center forward now please.

Another big up for Michael Edwards is none of the players are on astronomical wages for footballers most are on incentive and bonus system wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So where will Fekir sit in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Anyone watch the English game? Saw that Hendo and TAA got subbed at 64min, so just wondering if they did anything to push into the starting line-up?

Only saw first half, TAA played wing back and whipped in some fine balls from open play and corners. Henderson was Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Vicxas wrote: »

Everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Delighted with the new signings but some might take more time to settle into the system like robbo and ox last year. Would be great if one of them hit the ground running like Salah did though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A title challenge. Good CL run , goals and maybe a cup .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Delighted with the new signings but some might take more time to settle into the system like robbo and ox last year. Would be great if one of them hit the ground running like Salah did though

That's to be expected in fairness - none of them have played in the Pl before so they'll need a bit of time. Klopp likes to swap thing around in the first half of the season anyway, so it'll be good motivation for the current 3 to fight for their places and it means there'll be options for switching formations depending on match needs - playing attacking sides or bus parkers etc.

All good...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It does raise expectations. You have to be realistic about what you expect and realise that all clubs/managers aren't given the same circumstances to work with. Klopps first full year was about trying to get CL and he did which was a good achievement with the squad/resources he had. Season just gone was about getting top 4 again and proving we could juggle the league and Europe. Due to what's happened the past two years and the increase in money and improved reputation as the club for a destination for players . Klopp can now afford to have a bigger squad and is now able to attract a better standard of player. I think its now realistic to target a domestic cup while at the same time it not affecting the clubs performance in the PL or CL. This hasn't been the case in klopps reign until this season no such worries at either Manchester club or Chelsea until now perhaps. I know arsenal got mocked for being a regular top 4 only team but with where Liverpool have come from this is what the last 2 seasons have required to get the club back relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

cjmc wrote: »
    A title challenge. Good CL run , goals and maybe a cup .

A CL final rerun with Real Madrid would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Stargate wrote: »
    A CL final rerun with Real Madrid would be nice.

And let Kieta loose on Ramos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Charlie19 wrote: »
    And let Kieta loose on Ramos.

Once he doesn't pull his arm, sure you'd all be going mentally at how thuggish that behaviour would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

It does raise expectations. You have to be realistic about what you expect and realise that all clubs/managers aren't given the same circumstances to work with. Klopps first full year was about trying to get CL and he did which was a good achievement with the squad/resources he had. Season just gone was about getting top 4 again and proving we could juggle the league and Europe. Due to what's happened the past two years and the increase in money and improved reputation as the club for a destination for players . Klopp can now afford to have a bigger squad and is now able to attract a better standard of player. I think its now realistic to target a domestic cup while at the same time it not affecting the clubs performance in the PL or CL. This hasn't been the case in klopps reign until this season no such worries at either Manchester club or Chelsea until now perhaps. I know arsenal got mocked for being a regular top 4 only team but with where Liverpool have come from this is what the last 2 seasons have required to get the club back relevant.

This 100%. A top 4 finish, decent champions league campaign and some silverware for this season. Something like the FA cup would be huge.

Edit: Its already discussed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Usual back 4
    Fabinho keita
    Salah decker mane
    Firmino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fekir will rotate with Mane and Salah i'd imagine. He wont be playing in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

His dribbling is top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Fekir will rotate with Mane and Salah i'd imagine. He wont be playing in midfield.

Think he'll play the attacking midfield/10 position behind the front 3 a bit alright, in the same way we used Coutinho there to break down those teams that just sit back and 3 CM's are just not needed.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Think he'll play the attacking midfield/10 position behind the front 3 a bit alright, in the same way we used Coutinho there to break down those teams that just sit back and 3 CM's are just not needed.

I think he's being bought for that TBH.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Wrong fourm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Any chance of getting Reus for left back cover? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I wonder is the way we lined up vs Brighton going to be seen alot more next year with 4 primarily attackers on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yesterday began with a debate over whether we should sign Shaquiri and ended up with us getting Fekir. Few more days like that and things'll be grand.

Loved Bobby's response to being asked about Ramos' comments at the Brazil presser. I don't know why he said it maybe because he's a champion, I think he's an idiot.
    Sounded better in Portuguese. Real drops mike walks off stage moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thats pretty embarrasing in fairness , the manager should be the one to be selling the project and not the players.

It's not like Messi and Suarez wouldn't hawk Barca to anyone who'd listen.

If you have players with a huge profile, whether it's from the top or off their own initiative, you want them selling the idea of the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yesterday began with a debate over whether we should sign Shaquiri and ended up with us getting Fekir. Few more days like that and things'll be grand.

Loved Bobby's response to being asked about Ramos' comments at the Brazil presser. I don't know why he said it maybe because he's a champion, I think he's an idiot.

Bobby really say that? Fair ****ing play to him. Hope a pool player comes face to face with him anyway in this WC.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some people get very easily embarrassed. I have no issues with players saying to other players that they would like them at their club. It is essentially just lads chatting. I'd prefer if it was kept between themselves though. I doubt the clubs ask the likes of Firmino to talk to Allison as that would be a weird tactic.

It isn't embarrassing either way though, you need to either reevaluate your use of the word or be less easily embarrassed.

He didn't say Ramos was an idiot he said it was an idotic comment. It's been taken out of context to create a headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

He didn't say Ramos was an idiot he said it was an idotic comment. It's been taken out of context to create a headline.

Ok I'm just going by what was on SSN yesterday. I saw him saying it but he said it in Portuguese (I think) He didn't get drawn into it in any event it was a one-liner and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

https://twitter.com/TheKopHQ/status/1004829275504152576?s=19

See the lfc flask lads. Think we can call this one done too.

Ok I'm just going by what was on SSN yesterday. I saw him saying it but he said it in Portuguese (I think) He didn't get drawn into it in any event it was a one-liner and move on.

It was SSN, they definitely wouldn't try get a headline ;)

When I saw it first I thought he had called Ramos an idiot as well. There was a thread on Reddit though where they had the correct translation done.

Our friend Kaveah Sohlekol is now saying Fekir will hold off signing in order to lure Barca or Madrid...

Man is a dope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Anything for clicks!

So was the Shaqiri thing leaked to get people off the Fekir trail? Cause it worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Our friend Kaveah Sohlekol is now saying Fekir will hold off signing in order to lure Barca or Madrid...

Man is a dope

He didnt really say that at all reading the quotes

I dont think he was talking about Fekir specifically, just complimenting liverpool getting in and trying to get deals done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I really hope this Fekir deal is done.

I got all excited seeing the new reports this morning. It would be gutting if it fell through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    it means there'll be options for switching formations depending on match needs - playing attacking sides or bus parkers Man Utd etc.

FYP

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Ok, something bad happening - Lyon official site have posted a denial that a deal is done...

https://twitter.com/OL/status/1005000114262413313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FYP

(sorry, couldn't resist)

All joking aside: United have bought a defender and a defensive midfielder, we've bought two midfielders and an attacker: I look forward to 95% possession and a 1-0 loss to a soft late penalty.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Ok, something bad happening - Lyon official site have posted a denial that a deal is done...

https://twitter.com/OL/status/1005000114262413313

Sagas are great, arent they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This Southampton and VVD all over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

He didn't say Ramos was an idiot he said it was an idotic comment.

He must be a member here, avoided a card by attacking the post and not the poster.

Some suggestions it's because they are a listed company, so they need to manage the official news to manage the share price impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rumours Fekir failed medical. Had a bad ACL injury 3 years ago.

Looks like he isn't joining. Awful news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement