Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sad about Fekir. But obviously something scared them beyond doubt

Where is the source to support he failed the medical?

Lyon pulled out of the deal, not Liverpool right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

quarryman wrote: »

Rumour is that the Liverpool negotiating team expressed concern over Fekir's knee after the major injury he sustained a couple of years back. They tried to negotiate the fee downwards as a result. Lyon (Aulas) said get lost, deal is off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Typical on both counts!

Karius will be no.1 next season almost certainly.

This won't surprise me at all if true. He's shown before that he won't throw any of his players under the bus. His faith in his players while admirable is a bit misguided at times. Romero and Lovern being some examples although he wasn't long giving up on Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Be interesting if the knee thing was a genuine concern or just something to leverage a lower price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Slippery fekir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

greendom wrote: »
    Rumour is that the Liverpool negotiating team expressed concern over Fekir's knee after the major injury he sustained a couple of years back. They tried to negotiate the fee downwards as a result. Lyon (Aulas) said get lost, deal is off.

Mitigating risk does not necessarily equal lowering an already agreed fee. All deals are subject to a medical. Liverpool may well be happy with the player but may attempt to restructure the deal. Especially if the bulk of the fee was up front. For example they may wish to adjust the fee down but 'extras' up, for number of appearances etc. Therein, mitigating risk due to possible long term fitness problems. The eventual fee may be exactly the same but the player may need 100 games to activate it. Crude assessment obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Wahey, my 2 week sin-binning is over! Back from MrMac imposed purgatory.

Anyway, pesky transfers.... anyone up for Navos? Great keeper... let's not be fooled by the narrative - the guys a 3 time CL winner. Has the odd mistake in him but I'd have him ahead of our current options. Nick Pope looks a good keeper, but come on now...

ricero wrote: »
    Great to be back after a long ban since the champos final.

I hear you, brother :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rory Smith tweeted that he was told that Liverpool pulled out on Friday due to the medical results and Lyon attempted to renegotiate the deal after that.

Lyon obviously have a different version of events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

greendom wrote: »
    Rory Smith tweeted that he was told that Liverpool pulled out on Friday due to the medical results and Lyon attempted to renegotiate the deal after that.

Lyon obviously have a different version of events.

Here is the tweet from Rory Smith that states we wanted to pull out of the deal, not just renegotiate it.

https://twitter.com/RorySmith/status/1005546420923977728

So according to this Lyon wanted to get the deal back on track. I would assume that if there is a medical problem that was found in the medical, the selling club would be looking to sell even at worse terms than was agreed.

I don't know what happened with this deal, whether he has a medical problem we have wanted to change the terms of the deal. We will get the details later I am sure, even then those that want to believe we screwed up somehow will believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Pity really, was looking forward to him playing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

noodler wrote: »
    Be interesting if the knee thing was a genuine concern or just something to leverage a lower price.
    If the transfer negotiation team are going to pull those sort of shenanigans we won’t be getting in the door to start negotiations for any player!

sideswipe wrote: »
    If the transfer negotiation team are going to pull those sort of shenanigans we won’t be getting in the door to start negotiations for any player!

Let's assume there was a genuine issue found with the medical. Liverpool's insurance company could've quoted a massive figure to insure Fekir as a result, making the transfer too risky/costly for Liverpool to persue.

Quite possibly, as a show of good faith, Liverpool may have shown the medical results to Lyon to prove that they're genuine about pulling out of the deal and that they aren't just taking the p!ss looking for a reduced fee. If Lyon have attempted to renegotiate down, it would indicate that they've seen the medical and agreed it's an issue.

Of course, if there's no issue with the medical and Liverpool were attempting to lower the fee, then I'll agree that's a major screw-up, but I've never heard of any further negotiations taking place for players once it's agreed that a player can go for a medical. Essentially, all details have been bashed out by that point, with everything to be signed following a successful medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Never fancied him anyway.

*Sniff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It could be that we agreed say 50m + 5m in add ons. Now with concerns over the knee it might be something along the lines of 45m + 10m with more add ons linked to games played.

Lyon might not have been happy that we are wanting to reduce the main fee and talks are at a standstill now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder how long before the Dembele rumours start to appear again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

ricero wrote: »
    Great to be back after a long ban since the champos final.

Delighted with Fabinho but this Fekir news has left a bad taste in the mouth.

Will wait for more clarification before i comment on it.

Whether intentional or not, that last line there could well have come from the mouth of indykaila

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I could never quite understand the Coutinho and Neymar level transfer fee paid for Dembele.

Always felt it was as much to do with the Neymar money burning a hole in Barca's pocket.

How much would he cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

I wonder how long before the Dembele rumours start to appear again.

Yeah, and Pulisic for that matter - I think now that we're into the week leading up to the WC that there's probably not much point in paying attention to anything other than leaning photo's. Having being burnt with the whole Fekir saga, gonna try to ignore all the guff and clickbait until after the WC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Charlie19 wrote: »

“Huge hint that Dembele could sign”

What's that huge hint I hear you ask?

“Ladbrokes have slashed odds”

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

astradave wrote: »
    “Huge hint that Dembele could sign”

What's that huge hint I hear you ask?

“Ladbrokes have slashed odds”

:pac:

Yeah, the Express is just as bad as the Metro, would reflexively ignore anything from them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Charlie19 wrote: »

The dreaded Express but I'll bite and share my thoughts....

If we walked away from Fekir due to fitness concerns it wouldn't really make sense to turn to Dembele. A player that would cost more money considerably and who has also had less time to prove his fitness after a bad injury than Fekir had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

The dreaded Express but I'll bite and share my thoughts....

If we walked away from Fekir due to fitness concerns it wouldn't really make sense to turn to Dembele. A player that would cost more money considerably and who has also had less time to prove his fitness after a bad injury than Fekir had.

Not only that....Klopp would know about his character, the influence of his family in anything money related and about how he (his mum advised him) went about his business in Dortmund in the week before his move.

Personally took Klopps comment about talking to his mum as being sarcastic.......as his mom is the one who screwed over his 2 mates at BVB for a few million in a signing on fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool pulled out of the deal going by Liverpool reporters. Lyon pulled out going by French reporters we as mere fans will never know the truth

• Advertisement

Liverpool pulled out of the deal going by Liverpool reporters. Lyon pulled out going by French reporters we as mere fans will never know the truth

Quarryman has spoken, it was Lyon that ditched us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Here we'll give you 53 million
    "no thanks"
    said no French club ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Brazil v Austria on lfctv at 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Seen the deal is back on today according to ex West Ham goal keeper Hislop, we have no idea what is happening only the 2 clubs

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/708622/Liverpool-transfer-news-Nabil-Fekir-Lyon-Jurgen-Klopp-Premier-League-Shaka-Hislop-ESPN-FC

Suso or Luis Alberto as replacements.

• Advertisement

Aspas no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Quarryman has spoken, it was Lyon that ditched us.

Won’t find a more unbiased source than that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Seen the deal is back on today according to ex West Ham goal keeper Hislop, we have no idea what is happening only the 2 clubs

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/708622/Liverpool-transfer-news-Nabil-Fekir-Lyon-Jurgen-Klopp-Premier-League-Shaka-Hislop-ESPN-FC

All due respect to Shaka Hislop but I'll wait until it's officially confirmed by either Danny Dyer or Jack Whitehall at the Soccer Aid game today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

If we are being whooers by trying to get the fee down then that's bad form.

I've been level headed about this saga but that would anger me. We'll know the truth soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Talk on the boulevard says PSG will have their summer transfer plans severely curtailed unless they sell to buy. If Pastore is headed for West Ham who else might there be to pick up? Only Draxler seems to fit the squad needs.

Mbappe Klopp had done some ground work before he moved to PSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looking at the PSG sqaud it really isn't very much to get excited about - most of their best players are now late 20s/30s. Only Verratti/Neymar and loan Mbappe have talent and plenty of time still.

I'd take Marquinhos as well.

Looking at the PSG sqaud it really isn't very much to get excited about - most of their best players are now late 20s/30s. Only Verratti/Neymar and loan Mbappe have talent and plenty of time still.

Don't forget Weahs son.....the next Andy Cole in needing attempts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

See alot of places going with shaqiri deal is nearly done and fekir is still alive just it'll be after the world cup, wonder are Lyon waiting for a bidding war if he has a good world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

mightyreds wrote: »
    See alot of places going with shaqiri deal is nearly done and fekir is still alive just it'll be after the world cup, wonder are Lyon waiting for a bidding war if he has a good world cup.

French & German press reporting this morning that Lyon want to delay the deal until the start of July so that the fee is not in the current financial year.

Leno also wants Napoli ahead of Liverpool

Allison saying his next club could be sorted before the WC starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shaqiri is a no-brainer as an option from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Shaqiri is a no-brainer for me - he's 26, 70 international caps, quick, direct, good set piece taker. If you ignore that he came from Stoke (like ignoring Robertson came from relegated Hull, or VVD/Mane from Soton), it's a great price for a squad attacker. Better option to have than Wilson or Ojo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Dickerty wrote: »
    Shaqiri is a no-brainer for me - he's 26, 70 international caps, quick, direct, good set piece taker. If you ignore that he came from Stoke (like ignoring Robertson came from relegated Hull, or VVD/Mane from Soton), it's a great price for a squad attacker. Better option to have than Wilson or Ojo...

It's also another admission that the Academy is a waste of time.

If we're going to the effort of spending 12m and giving 80k a week to a lad that ideally won't play much, it doesn't say much for the Woodburns or Wilson's of this world.

Gbear wrote: »

If we're going to the effort of spending 12m and giving 80k a week to a lad that ideally won't play much, it doesn't say much for the Woodburns or Wilson's of this world.

It's not a waste of time, but don't expect it to produce more than 2 regular-starting-quality players in a generation. TTA is one, Woodburn will be another but not yet. Wilson did very well for 5 months in the Championship, as did Grujic, but it's a big step up to CL level football.

I think Wilson needs a season as a Prem team, but wait and see whether any of them are willing to take a punt on him when survival is on the line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You have an old romantic view of what Academy's are for in this day and age,
    You may not like it but the Academies at top clubs are now  to build up young players you can sell for a few million quid to help pay the wages for players like Shaqiri,
    Of course every 10 years or so you can strike it lucky and get a real gem that goes straight into the team but reality is most are sold off for a few million to help pay wages of top stars,
    Obviously at smaller clubs its slightly different,

You have an old romantic view of what Academy's are for in this day and age,
    You may not like it but the Academies at top clubs are now  to build up young players you can sell for a few million quid to help pay the wages for players like Shaqiri,
    Of course every 10 years or so you can strike it lucky and get a real gem that goes straight into the team but reality is most are sold off for a few million to help pay wages of top stars,
    Obviously at smaller clubs its slightly different,

Unfortunately true. Ibe, Smith, Canos and Sinclair left summer 2016 for £25M - that paid for Wijnaldum. Stewart paid for Robertson last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Trent's going well at the moment but how would he have fared if Clyne had been fit all season and he hadn't had a chance to play any regular football?

On the one hand it's rare to find the quality, but on the other, it'll never mature if you block any chance of progressing to the first team.

I'm not convinced that the half a dozen appearances of possibly more quality is worth more than giving a chance for an academy talent to make a case for themselves.

I've nothing in particular against Shaqiri. I'm sure he'd be grand. I don't really see the need for that profile of player though.
    Klopp has tended to be patient with building the squad, so I'd be puzzled why he either wouldn't sign another serious player who you'd want to start, either now, or in subsequent transfer windows.

It seems like an odd foray into short-termism for him, but at a time when we're less likely to reap the benefits from the trade-off.

If this was, say, West Ham who got relegated and Lanzini, then I wouldn't have the same reservations either. I don't think Shaqiri is worth the trouble.

Perhaps we'd even be happy to get 18 months out of him, at which point we know we can make a profit. There might be an element of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Trent's going well at the moment but how would he have fared if Clyne had been fit all season and he hadn't had a chance to play any regular football?

On the one hand it's rare to find the quality, but on the other, it'll never mature if you block any chance of progressing to the first team.

I'm not convinced that the half a dozen appearances of possibly more quality is worth more than giving a chance for an academy talent to make a case for themselves.

I've nothing in particular against Shaqiri. I'm sure he'd be grand. I don't really see the need for that profile of player though.
    Klopp has tended to be patient with building the squad, so I'd be puzzled why he either wouldn't sign another serious player who you'd want to start, either now, or in subsequent transfer windows.

It seems like an odd foray into short-termism for him, but at a time when we're less likely to reap the benefits from the trade-off.

If this was, say, West Ham who got relegated and Lanzini, then I wouldn't have the same reservations either. I don't think Shaqiri is worth the trouble.

Perhaps we'd even be happy to get 18 months out of him, at which point we know we can make a profit. There might be an element of that.
    If one of the front 3 get a long term injury I for one would much rather  Shaqiri week in week out than Wilson ,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement