Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If one of the front 3 get a long term injury I for one would much rather Shaqiri week in week out than Wilson ,

Doesnt play a bit like our front three. If we go again for Fekir I'd rather us buy a winger instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sell origi replace with shaquri,one suits or play the other dont, Should balance each other's fees out plus the extra weekly wedge for xerdan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If one of the front 3 get a long term injury I for one would much rather  Shaqiri week in week out than Wilson ,

And I'd rather Lallana, AOC, Fekir, Lemar, Pulisic, or whoever we end up getting.

Alternatively, we can go two up top because we now how serious depth in midfield, and now proven width from full back.

Bar in a few cases, where you're getting cheap, often old backup, like Klavan, or a backup keeper, where it kinda suits both parties to have them sit on the bench picking up their cheque every week, I don't think you should be buying players pretty much not to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You have an old romantic view of what Academy's are for in this day and age,
    You may not like it but the Academies at top clubs are now  to build up young players you can sell for a few million quid to help pay the wages for players like Shaqiri,
    Of course every 10 years or so you can strike it lucky and get a real gem that goes straight into the team but reality is most are sold off for a few million to help pay wages of top stars,
    Obviously at smaller clubs its slightly different,

You can see the perils of this line of thinking with Chelsea last season though.
    They decided to buy Danny Drinkwater while sending Loftus-Cheek on loan elsewhere.
    What was the point? At least he went on to have a pretty good season with Palace, so his growth wasn't stunted, but loans don't always work out, and it didn't do Chelsea much good.

Klopp knows better than I do what quality there is in the Academy, so maybe he just doesn't rate them, but the benefits from signing someone like Shaqiri would be so marginal that I can only see it being necessary if Woodburn et all are no-hopers.

Trent was dropped into the Senior team and did fine. Even with Solanke, when you put good players around him like against Brighton, he looked an awful lot better.

So much of what we get to see of Academy players is when they're all dumped in against non-league teams at once and there's unsurprisingly no cohesion between them.

I wouldn't want them starting a CL final, but I'd have no major concerns if we had to rest one of the front 3 and Woodburn or Wilson were given a go for a league game. I think they'd do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Liverpool pulled out of the deal going by Liverpool reporters. Lyon pulled out going by French reporters we as mere fans will never know the truth

Seems far more likely to me that we pulled out altogether. "Mitigating the risk" on a £53m move sounds insane. If I was about to spend £500k on a house and the surveyor told me that a repair job on the foundations was botched and they're likely to sink, I'm not going to turn around and offer £495k

The results of a medical, like any such appointment, will be subject to a large degree of confidentiality, so we'll never know for certain what the scans showed. The natural assumption is that Fekir's failed, and people will think it's his knee that's goosed. Of course Lyon aren't going to want that to be the case, so they come out with this renegotiation story to obfuscate things.

The only reason I'd believe we're still interested is the lack of 'official' word from the club to the local journos about interest ending, like we've seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Liverpool pulled out of the deal going by Liverpool reporters. Lyon pulled out going by French reporters we as mere fans will never know the truth

Seems far more likely to me that we pulled out altogether. "Mitigating the risk" on a £53m move sounds insane. If I was about to spend £500k on a house and the surveyor told me that a repair job on the foundations was botched and they're likely to sink, I'm not going to turn around and offer £495k

The results of a medical, like any such appointment, will be subject to a large degree of confidentiality, so we'll never know for certain what the scans showed. The natural assumption is that Fekir's failed, and pelple will think it's his knee that's goosed. Of course Lyon aren't going to want that to be the case, so they come out with this renegotiation story to obfuscate things.

The only reason I'd believe we're still interested is the lack of 'official' word from the club to the local journos about interest ending, like we've seen before.
    Its strange that no one else was in for him considering he is such a good player,
    Makes you think we have it all wrapped up or everyone knows he is in a jocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Judging that there hasn't been a post in over 2 hours im assuming all is quiet today transfer wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sky reporting that we will not sign Alisson this summer. If we end up as Butland and Shaqiri as Alisson and Fekirs alternatives i think i may cry.

Even worse is the thought of Karius still being our number 1 next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Well that was a long two weeks. Free at last free at last, thank the mods im free at last.

Anyone know when the season starts in terms of cards here? Just need to know how careful i need to be lol.

So fabinho eh? Id just like to say "called it". Before the champions league final i said he would be the perfect signing. So while i didnt actually call it, i am certainly over the moon. If we could just sign a keeper like oblak or allison now i really think our defence will solid next season. I would still like a center back but things are looking good.

As for fekir, if we get him brilliant. If not thats better. We do not want another sturridge. If his knee is screwed its nothing to do with how much we pay. Its nothing to do with insurance premiums ffs. We dont want a player who will become a sturridge. Class when fit but never fit. It may be that his knee will eventually go and he will become injury prone. Id rather us move on and go for someone like pulsic who has bundles of pace to challenge the front three for a spot. surely being american will have its sponsor appeal also.

Shaquiri would be a decent signing but to be honest i dont rate him much better than markovic. But lazor wont be getting another chance so id welcome the back up. Hopefully ben will also get game time.

Anyway its good to be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ricero wrote: »
    Sky reporting that we will not sign Alisson this summer. If we end up as Butland and Shaqiri as Alisson and Fekirs alternatives i think i may cry.

Even worse is the thought of Karius still being our number 1 next season.

There is your 1st mistake, listening to Sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,932 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see Sky are now saying we are going to sign Asensio as there will be no place for him when the sign Neymar for €320m.

Can’t believe we will end up with him instead of Will Hughes.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Hope you boys are enjoying the hurling championship.

The Echo don't half speel some awful stuff......

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/nabil-fekir-liverpools-big-transfer-14769918

"......But Manuel Lanzini's ruptured anterior knee ligament has subsequently given Jurgen Klopp and his recruitment team something of a headache.

News emerged on Friday the West Ham United attacking midfielder could be sidelined for the best part of a year having suffered the damage while training with Argentina ahead of the World Cup.

Around the same time, Liverpool were backing away from a near-£50million deal for Nabil Fekir after the Lyon player had undergone a medical.

A preferred target and a likely alternative gone within the space of the same day.........."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bit worried that Lanzini seemed to be the number one alternative to Fekir. A decent player but not a Coutinho/Fekir level of player and that is what is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Bit worried that Lanzini seemed to be the number one alternative to Fekir. A decent player but not a Coutinho/Fekir level of player and that is what is required.

It's horsesheet. Why would this come out AFTER he got a bad injury? It's a story with no credibility...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

We don't have much idea really what's going on, I can't get my head around the whole lfc saying nothing about the fekir deal whilst Lyon saying it's over, are they trying to spend the money first and don't wanna be bent over a barrel? Is his ligament that suspect?

Is it the price, payment structure?

If it were dead I think we would have heard from our side somehow,but we ain't.

Strange one

Salah was a second choice target last summer.

That didn’t turn out to bad I must say.

The transfer committee have been rockstars with there signings since Klopp came in.

As we also have seen there targets under Rodgers that didn’t sign or were vetoed by the manager also have gone on to be proven to level players.

Reports in Spain that Liverpool have offered Roma €65m for Alisson and he has been guaranteed the number 1spot by Klopp.

Where as Madrid have offered Roma €50m plus bonuses added up to €65m.

My sources tell me know one has a clue and everyone is guessing.

It’s fun guessing thought till the football starts again in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Reports in Spain that Liverpool have offered Roma €65m for Alisson and he has been guaranteed the number 1spot by Klopp.

Where as Madrid have offered Roma €50m plus bonuses added up to €65m.

My sources tell me know one has a clue and everyone is guessing.

It’s fun guessing thought till the football starts again in a few days.

:confused::confused:

Is this an in-joke of the good old boys?

I also dislike the implication that you are above it all while doing the same thing.

Attitudes like that make me sick to the pit of my stomach.

• Advertisement

Attitudes like that make me sick to the pit of my stomach.

Gonna be a long summer if that makes you sick

Fulham & Huddersfield are both prepared to pay £7m for Wilson according to the Mirror however Liverpool would prefer for him to go out on another loan.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Gonna be a long summer if that makes you sick

I am not even in the slightest bit scared of posts on the internet. I have to be up front about this. I will NEVER be scared of posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Sky Sports Germany reporting the Allison Becker has informed Roma he wants to join Real Madrid.

Also linking LFC to Jasper Cillessen since early morning.......player however did say last week that he was sure Barca wouldnt sell him for less than his release clause......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

cuckoo!!!!

Cillessen will go to Chelsea. We can't compete with them in the transfer market sadly.

cuckoo!!!!

It won't work. I am galvanised against such tactics.

How good is Cillessen

Excellent by all accounts. His distribution is second to none and he may be the best shot stopper in the world right now.

Signing him would be a real coup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Excellent by all accounts. His distribution is second to none and he may be the best shot stopper in the world right now.

Signing him would be a real coup.

Doesn't start for his club.

Has started 4 games in La Liga & CL in the last 2 seasons - 2 dead rubber GW 6 in the group stage of CL. 1 dead runner in La Liga and 1 game where Barca lost 2-1 to Alaves at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cillessen will go to Chelsea. We can't compete with them in the transfer market sadly.

They're already quite well sorted in the goalkeeper department, or are you thinking one of them might leave?

Any sensible decision would be held off until the management situation over there resolves itself.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I wouldn’t be paying £60m for him anyway which is his alleged buyout clause.

21 games for Barca 2 league starts and the others came in cup games since joining them.

29 years of age and never really shown anything more than being the back up keeper at Barca after joining from a very very weak Dutch league and being the keeper in the worst Dutch national team ever over the last 4/5 years.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Doesn't start for his club.

Has started 4 games in La Liga & CL in the last 2 seasons - 2 dead rubber GW 6 in the group stage of CL. 1 dead runner in La Liga and 1 game where Barca lost 2-1 to Alaves at home.

How does that counter what I said? I am confused :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It won't work. I am galvanised against such tactics.

The Rodgers tactic, I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

How does that counter what I said? I am confused :confused:

Well, when I read your post I wondered how the bloody hell he could be considered - by you - as possibly the best shot stopper in the world? How can you possibly suggest anything like that?

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The Rodgers tactic, I see.

Can you explain this comment for me? It went over my head.

Can you explain this comment for me? It went over my head.

No, it's only for the good old boys.

mosstin wrote: »
    Well, when I read your post I wondered how the bloody hell he could be considered - by you - as possibly the best shot stopper in the world? How can you possibly suggest anything like that?

He is extremely agile and his hand-eye coordination is second to none.

He is extremely agile and his hand-eye coordinationis second to none.

He never plays games.
    He never plays against medium level opposition, let alone top level opposition.

How can you claim him to be the best shot stopper in the world, and also the best distributor of the ball in the world if he never actually plays games?
    How can you claim to have this unreal hand eye coordination by sitting on the bench for 50 odd games a season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Why are certain posters allowed to bait others and not be sanctioned for it? Not telling any Mod what to do! But some posters only seem to want to wind up others...

• Advertisement

He never plays games.

How can you claim him to be the best shot stopper in the world, and also the best distributor of the ball in the world if he never actually plays games?
    How can you claim to have this unreal hand eye coordination by sitting on the bench for 50 odd games a season?

He played over a 100 games for Ajex. Do you believe that just because he is not currently first choice at the biggest football club in the world that his skills have dulled? I do not. That's for damn sure. Why would all these big clubs like ourselves be interested if he were not exceptional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I can think of a reason, but I can’t say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

He is extremely agile and his hand-eye coordination is second to none.

Are you basing that on seeing him play the limited numbers of games he's played or have you seen him play table tennis?

Seriously, if you're going to call someone possibly the best shot stopper in the game, you'd need to be able to back that up with something solid.

Isn't he only 6'1 , I think small keepers struggle in England,

He played over a 100 games for Ajex. Do you believe that just because he is not currently first choice at the biggest football club in the world that his skills have dulled? I do not. That's for damn sure. Why would all these big clubs like ourselves be interested if he were not exceptional?

I do believe that not playing first team football and getting competitive match experience would dull his abilities. That would dull anyone's.

He never plays games.

Read above.

Playing well in an average Dutch league does not make you the best in the world.

Are you basing that on seeing him play the limited numbers of games he's played or have you seen him play table tennis?

Seriously, if you're going to call someone possibly the best shot stopper in the game, you'd need to be able to back that up with something solid.

Solid? I mean I have watched him play for Ajex many times. I don't know what else I can say. He had an excellent game againist Twente a couple of years back, when he really caught my eye.

I am one of the only people who does back up their arguments with valid reasoning and yet you single me out?

Dickerty wrote:
    Why are certain posters allowed to bait others and not be sanctioned for it? Not telling any Mod what to do! But some posters only seem to want to wind up others...

I think its because noone reports them to be fair. Mods probably just dont see the posts or think of nobody reports it, its not an issue.

Personally i have no issue with these poster. They are only trying to be funny and they are very transparent. If you dont like their posts just dont take the bait. You can also mock them for saying stupid things as an alternative.

Just dont let it drive you away from here. We are losing too many good posters these days.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I do believe that not playing first team football and getting competitive match experience would dull his abilities. That would dull anyone's.

I respectfully disagree.

mosstin wrote:

To be fair his stats in fifa are amazing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement