Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Dickerty wrote: »
    Indy has turned a corner and is really funny these days!

Yea, you have to appreciate the hustle. I'm sure he's making money from that Twitter account and it's all bull plop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

brevity wrote: »
    Yea, you have to appreciate the hustle. I'm sure he's making money from that Twitter account and it's all bull plop.

Pretty sure he is.. once he has a website up, the amount of ad revenue he could generate, it was actually a pretty smart move. He has loads of people clicking links all day everyday :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Most of the serious targets that are linked aren’t rubbish thought over the last couple of seasons.

They do make interesting topics to discuss.

Alisson, Fekir & Fab are the main three this summer by the look of it and each one of them are players that would strengthen the first team.

Discussing on if they join or not or who is being lined up as replacement targets is fun especially when there is no football on.

I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss but I see some people (not here so much, mainly from twitter retweets and so on) that see, to believe every rumour, and react accordingly whether with delight, disgust or upset if we don't sign the linked player. It's not a healthy way to function imo.

Some transfers, like Fabinho and Firmino are done before there are whispers, others like Keita and van Dijk were well flagged, but the manner and timing of the execution was a surprise.

I'm hoping that speculation linkng Butland to us is false though as that would not solve anything, although if he was backup to someone better than him or Karius I'd be ok with that.

Then when you have the so called two most reliable ITK Journo's connected to the club doing that you can see that they are just after the social media hits as much as the spoofers Indy, Don Balon etc..

They are probably just reporting what they are told by their sources in fairness, but a journo can live and die by one wrong move on Twitter these days, so even the most reliable ones will cover their backs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss but I see some people (not here so much, mainly from twitter retweets and so on) that see, to believe every rumour, and react accordingly whether with delight, disgust or upset if we don't sign the linked player. It's not a healthy way to function imo.

Some transfers, like Fabinho and Firmino are done before there are whispers, others like Keita and van Dijk were well flagged, but the manner and timing of the execution was a surprise.

I'm hoping that speculation linkng Butland to us is false though as that would not solve anything, although if he was backup to someone better than him or Karius I'd be ok with that.

I think we will all cry if the Butland thing happens ahead of Alisson or Oblak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

astradave wrote: »
    I think the problem is that, journalists have got good at wording tweets that they can be interpreted in a number of ways. Little things like the handshake could mean an agreement between player and club or club and club. Putting the “to” in the second tweet can be used so that if the deal falls thru they can say that they were informed it was going to happen but never said it did happen.

Could it not be as simple as there was a deal in place with just the physical as a formality to close the deal and then they found the knee issue and the deal was then voided for good reason? So the tweets were factual, just the facts then changed when it turned out Fekir was a potential crock?

I never expected us to sign Oblak, and I don't think we'll pay the quoted price for Alisson, although I have little basis for that. If we did end up paying a similar amount for another keeper though it would make you wonder.

I said this after the CL final, and I stick by it now. Karius will start off as our number 1 next season. If we sign Butland he may displace him at some point after calamaties, but it will be a like for like swap for a departing Mignolet.

I'd rather keep Ward and see him in action for us than sign Butland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Trent heard about the fan up the North who tragically killed himself the other day and sent a video message to his family, I tell you lads, future LFC captain right here, such a good lad :

https://streamable.com/2qbge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Then when you have the so called two most reliable ITK Journo's connected to the club doing that you can see that they are just after the social media hits as much as the spoofers Indy, Don Balon etc..

Your the type of person they target as you love transfers & constantly are referencing them here.

Just an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm really liking the new away shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

A handshaking reply pretty much say done deal to me from Pearce.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1004819046917959681

Joyce saying Liverpool seal the deal again pretty much say the deal is done.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1004823029002788865

But the deal was "pretty much" done. Pearce is reporting a handshake. Joyce mentions the terms of a deal but explicitly says that the deal hadn't yet been sealed.

I think it's fairly obvious they were told that the two clubs had come to an arrangement (which they did) and were given the details. Neither said the player had been signed. And just because they weren't aware of the Fabinho deal doesn't mean they know nothing. It just means they don't know everything.

Both also stated unequivocally in Feb that Alisson was no longer being considered due to the asking price. That info came from the club. 4 months later and it's looking like nothing has changed. Now it may have been misinformation given by the club; it may have been the club's stance at the time and reconsidered after Karius' performance in the final and we've been rebuffed again now. Point is, it's quite likely none of the rumours you've heard about our interest in Alisson since then were true, or up to date. They certainly aren't consistent (e.g. the jump from €65m to £70m). It would hardly be a shock if lesser journos were just filling column inches by perpetuating the rumour that he's the #1 GK target.

Either way it seems fairly unlikely we're going to be signing him, which is certainly no reason to think Joyce and Pearce are suddenly bullsh*t merchants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The deal was done, Fekir even done an in house interview and picked his shirt number. Don't know how much more confirmation a journalist needs before they are confident to say it's done. Pearce, Joyce, Reidy don't write rubbish I usually take what they say as 99% factual.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Fieldog wrote: »
    Trent heard about the fan up the North who tragically killed himself the other day and sent a video message to his family, I tell you lads, future LFC captain right here, such a good lad :

https://streamable.com/2qbge

Also I seen yesterday that a young fan wanted an England jersey with Alexander Arnold on it but at 1 pound a letter couldn't afford it so Trent tweeted him asking for his size and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Don't want him, Pope or Cillissen near the place. None are near what we need. Club needs to buy a sure thing not take a (large) punt on someone.

• Advertisement

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Could it not be as simple as there was a deal in place with just the physical as a formality to close the deal and then they found the knee issue and the deal was then voided for good reason? So the tweets were factual, just the facts then changed when it turned out Fekir was a potential crock?

That’s my point thou, the journalists very seldom lay say deal done until it’s confirmed, instead the play on words just in case something like what happens with Fekir happens

That’s my point thou, the journalists very seldom lay say deal done until it’s confirmed, instead the play on words just in case something like what happens with Fekir happens

The ones that deals with facts do this, yes. The ones that deal with speculation and the ones who just largely make crap up or steal from other places have no such qualms. Most of these wouldn't be what you'd call journalists though I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ERG89 wrote: »
    Don't want him, Pope or Cillissen near the place. None are near what we need. Club needs to buy a sure thing not take a (large) punt on someone.

I hear ya. Plenty of money now at the club and no excuses not to spend it on a top class keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Kimbot wrote: »
    Also I seen yesterday that a young fan wanted an England jersey with Alexander Arnold on it but at 1 pound a letter couldn't afford it so Trent tweeted him asking for his size and address.

I love him, hope he stays his whole career with us..

Edit : in other news, Carra is turning up at fans weddings these days :

https://t.co/OhqTXb81Ga

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm really liking the new away shirt.

Ribena coloured kit for Milner, he’ll be in his element.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    The ones that deals with facts do this, yes. The ones that deal with speculation and the ones who just largely make crap up or steal from other places have no such qualms. Most of these wouldn't be what you'd call journalists though I guess.

Exactly, I’d be talking about the more credible journalists in this case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kimbot wrote: »

Lol a pound a letter, what kind of fresh hell is this? That would cost you £15 to get his name on the back of it. And if you want Oxlade-Chamberlain that will be £17 please young fan. What a scam, youd swear these sports shops were employing highly skilled craftsmen instead of a young lad on minimum wage with a book of stickers and an iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Be on eBay after the world cup no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Exactly, I’d be talking about the more credible journalists in this case

Eh, I've seen you lads reference Duncan Castles.

Be on eBay after the world cup no doubt

Oh, doesn't Butland have an agent then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I love him, hope he stays his whole career with us..

https://t.co/OhqTXb81Ga

There’s the row sorted anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lol a pound a letter, what kind of fresh hell is this? That would cost you £15 to get his name on the back of it. And if you want Oxlade-Chamberlain that will be £17 please young fan. What a scam, youd swear these sports shops were employing highly skilled craftsmen instead of a young lad on minimum wage with a book of stickers and an iron.
    #UselessFactOfTheDay
    The letters, numbers and badges are printed in Kinsale, collected by fed ex, driven to Shannon airport and flown to Paris, then back to London to be distributed. Maybe all the air miles add to the cost.

mosstin wrote: »
    Eh, I've seen you lads reference Duncan Castles.

So? That’s nothing got to do with the discussion on hand, it’s about how credible Journalists word tweets to cover their backs.

Anyways, Castles is Jorge Mendes mouthpiece, who is Jose’s agent, since Jose came to United he’s been pretty on the ball with the ins and out of the transfer windows. Mind you if he isn’t reporting on Wolves or United id pay no attention to him whatsoever, unless the player was a Gestifute client.

A real gent & club legend.
    YNWA

So? That’s nothing got to do with the discussion on hand, it’s about how credible Journalists word tweets to cover their backs.

Anyways, Castles is Jorge Mendes mouthpiece, who is Jose’s agent, since Jose came to United he’s been pretty on the ball with the ins and out of the transfer windows. Mind you if he isn’t reporting on Wolves or United id pay no attention to him whatsoever, unless the player was a Gestifute client.

I wasn't specifically having a go at you. Castles is often referenced on your thread which I find laughable as his inability to say anything against Mourinho renders his journalistic credentials invalid.

• Advertisement

Martial agent confirming he wants to leave United. Would probably work well under Klopp but would never happen.
    Will be interesting to see where he'll go if he does leave.

I wasn't specifically having a go at you. Castles is often referenced on your thread which I find laughable as his inability to say anything against Mourinho renders his journalistic credentials invalid.

He's only really taken serious on the transfer dealings though, the vast majority know to take anything else with a huge pinch of salt, anyways we are dragging the thread off topic so i'll finish up there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Augeo wrote: »
    A real gent & club legend.
    YNWA

Two others, Fowler and McAteer, sent messages of condolences to a scouse relatives funeral a few days after the CL final (he had been to many of the clubs previous European Cup wins). I thought it was a class touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Martial agent confirming he wants to leave United. Would probably work well under Klopp but would never happen.
    Will be interesting to see where he'll go if he does leave.

He only has one year left on his contract apparently. So if he doesn't go anywhere this window, or negotiate a new deal, he's free to talk to anyone he wants from the start of the next window.

At that point anything's possible.

EDIT - 6-month rule doesn't apply to English clubs, apparently. Damn.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He only has one year left on his contract apparently. So if he doesn't go anywhere this window, or negotiate a new deal, he's free to talk to anyone he wants from the start of the next window.

There’s always ways around that, like a chance encounter in Blackpool. ;)

ballyargus wrote: »
    Two others, Fowler and McAteer, sent messages of condolences to a scouse relatives funeral a few days after the CL final (he had been to many of the clubs previous European Cup wins). I thought it was a class touch.

Fowler is my favourite LFC player.(we can look forward to some (only 2 or 3 now....might even get a twitter mention) referring to all of his misdemeanors regularly now I expect) ... a normal kid with exceptional talent. Made his mistakes on and off the field but seems to be a good family man and remained down to earth sort of chap despite the millions.

Sorry for your loss

Club have an option of another year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So world Cup is starting guess we won't see any movement for transfers until near the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Was the fixtures released early West ham(h) , Palace(a) , Brighton(h) , Leicester(a) doing the rounds anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

mightyreds wrote: »
    Was the fixtures released early West ham(h) , Palace(a) , Brighton(h) , Leicester(a) doing the rounds anyway

If they are correct that's a very favourable start. Should be winning all four.

That was the opening day fixture that was apparently leaked last week anyways for ye, there was an image going around on Twitter.

Suppose we will find out all the fixtures in the next 45 mins or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

That was the opening day fixture that was apparently leaked last week anyways for ye, there was an image going around on Twitter.

Suppose we will find out all the fixtures in the next 45 mins or so
    yeah thats why i've a feeling its crap maybe added in the extra fixtures for more credibility :)

Well looks like I should have more faith

Nice start and end to the season.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/304318-liverpool-fc-premier-league-fixtures-2018-19-revealed
    August

11 – West Ham United (H)
    18 – Crystal Palace (A)
    25 – Brighton and Hove Albion (H)

September

1 – Leicester City (A)
    15 – Tottenham Hotspur (A)
    22 – Southampton (H)
    29 – Chelsea (A)

October

6 – Manchester City (H)
    20 – Huddersfield Town (A)
    27 – Cardiff City (H)

November

3 – Arsenal (A)
    10 – Fulham (H)
    24 – Watford (A)

December

1 – Everton (H)
    4 – Burnley (A)
    8 – Bournemouth (A)
    15 – Manchester United (H)
    22 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (A)
    26 – Newcastle United (H)
    29 - Arsenal (H)

January

1 – Manchester City (A)
    12 – Brighton and Hove Albion (A)
    19 – Crystal Palace (H)
    30 – Leicester City (H)

February

2 – West Ham United (A)
    9 – Bournemouth (H)
    23 – Manchester United (A)
    27 – Watford (H)

March

2 – Everton (A)
    9 – Burnley (H)
    16 – Fulham (A)
    30 – Tottenham Hotspur (H)

April

6 – Southampton (A)
    13 – Chelsea (H)
    20 – Cardiff City (A)
    27 – Huddersfield Town (H)

May

4 – Newcastle United (A)
    12 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (H)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

September, December, January look like the crucial months for me personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No group of death type runs, that makes a change. Hang on, are you sure you did not click the Man Utd fixtures?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

AFAIK that Spurs away will likely get swapped with the home tie as they won't have finished their stadium. Good start and end to the season, with United, Arsenal and City in quick succession around Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

No really awful months. Makes a change

Sappy404 wrote: »
    AFAIK that Spurs away will likely get swapped with the home tie as they won't have finished their stadium. Good start and end to the season, with United, Arsenal and City in quick succession around Christmas.

Actually it'll probably be their first game in the new stadium I'd say unless they are playing their first 5 games away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

December & January will be tough imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

7 matches in December when pitches are arguably in poor condition is nuts

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement