Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

brevity wrote: »
    December & January will be tough imo.

Very much so, rotation and squad fitness will be key...7 games in 32 days, including Everton, United, Arsenal and City. At least the first 3 of those 4 are at home!

Dec
    1 – Everton (H)
    4 – Burnley (A)
    8 – Bournemouth (A)
    15 – Manchester United (H)
    22 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (A)
    26 – Newcastle United (H)
    29 - Arsenal (H)

Jan
    1 – Manchester City (A)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I see they kept the top 6 away from each other on opening day as usual.
    Poor old Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    7 matches in December when pitches are arguably in poor condition is nuts

I really think those days are gone. They're all like carpets nowadays. Especially when compared to years ago.

That said, there are too many games in December and it really should be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    7 matches in December when pitches are arguably in poor condition is nuts

When was there last a side that played on a ploughed field? The worst than could happen is a club gets in Allardyce during sacking season he grows the grass and refuses to water it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really think those days are gone. They're all like carpets nowadays. Especially when compared to years ago.

That said, there are too many games in December and it really should be changed.

Not really. Champs League/Europa League finishes early December, no international break. Games have to be played some time.

What do you suggest? Extend the season until June, start earlier in August, leave midweeks off/weekends off in December?

tinpib wrote: »
    Not really. Champs League/Europa League finishes early December, no international break. Games have to be played some time.

What do you suggest? Extend the season until June, start earlier in August, leave midweeks off/weekends off in December?

Revamp the League cup and have teams European teams enter even later.
    Reduce semi final to one leg as well.

Maybe have European teams have bye into FA Cup 4th round. Would be controversial.

Why can't league also finish a week later?

Other countries manage this and don't play during Christmas so they should be able to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Looking at flights,Am I better off waiting until tx fixtures announced ?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Looking at flights,Am I better off waiting until tx fixtures announced ?

Unless you want to go for entire weekends either way, then yes. It'll be early July before the first couple of months tv fixtures are announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

murpho999 wrote: »
    Revamp the League cup and have teams European teams enter even later.
    Reduce semi final to one leg as well.

Maybe have European teams have bye into FA Cup 4th round. Would be controversial.

Why can't league also finish a week later?

Other countries manage this and don't play during Christmas so they should be able to do something.

I see what you are getting at, but I think what that means is more of a winter break in January rather than in December.

The 'festive' fixtures are a very popular part of English culture, so that won't change, and I don't think it should change, but yes a break in January makes a lot of sense.

tinpib wrote: »
    I see what you are getting at, but I think what that means is more of a winter break in January rather than in December.

The 'festive' fixtures are a very popular part of English culture, so that won't change, and I don't think it should change, but yes a break in January makes a lot of sense.

I definitely think one Christmas game can be moved. Didn't Liverpool have to play 2 games in 48 hours last year which is crazy.

As for culture that can always be changed. Nothing lasts forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

No group of death type runs, that makes a change.

Arsenal & City in the space of 3 days over Christmas is tricky. Also likely to be the first team to visit Spurs new stadium according to the Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

5starpool wrote: »
    Unless you want to go for entire weekends either way, then yes. It'll be early July before the first couple of months tv fixtures are announced.

Yea think your right
    Il hang on for the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Nice desktop fixture list :)

erqqeUx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nice desktop fixture list :)

erqqeUx.jpg

First three fixtures represent a good opportunity to start well and get some points on the board from the off. Hard to say much beyond that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chance to make a good start given the fixtures. Tough games spread fairly evenly through the season. Some difficult games around Christmas/New Year's with Arsenal quickly followed by Man City but not much travel over that period. And I believe we have a home game after all the CL dates. Have to be happy enough with all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think I've ever been less hyped about a World Cup. Is there any buzz about it at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Those 3 away games in Sept won't be easy, picking up results in the first 3 games could be important

Kolido wrote: »
    Those 3 away games in Sept won't be easy, picking up results in the first 3 games could be important

We could be out of it if we don't beat West Ham on the first day!

We have home games after all 6 of our CL group games, although they include games vs Man City, Everton and Man Utd. 2 of those in the CL too obviously, so not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Why aren't we being linked with Martial I think he's a cracking player although would he fit in with klopps style

jones wrote: »
    Why aren't we being linked with Martial I think he's a cracking player although would he fit in with klopps style

Because he's in contract and they'd never sell to us.

I'm more worried as to why Can to Juve is not official, any chance he'd go to a Prem rival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

His contract expires at the end of the month so presume contractually they can't parade him in Juve colours until then.

Dickerty wrote: »

I'm more worried as to why Can to Juve is not official, any chance he'd go to a Prem rival?

I'm presuming at least one of Keita and Fabinho will be on upgrade on him. Not overly bothered if he goes to a PL rival tbh.

I'd wish him well even if it was Utd in the context of more than a few LFC fans hankering after Martial on a free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

We could be out of it if we don't beat West Ham on the first day!

Your post was tongue and cheek I know but we do need to develop a winning mentality and treat every game as must win.

Hiccups are inevitable but it's the team that proves the above most consistently which will win the title come May.

Not a lot wrong in looking at the fixtures in August and expecting a very good return as a solid foundation for the awkward September.

Your post was tongue and cheek I know but we do need to develop a winning mentality and treat every game as must win.

Hiccups are inevitable but it's the team that proves the above most consistently which will win the title come May.

Not a lot wrong in looking at the fixtures in August and expecting a very good return as a solid foundation for the awkward September.

Ah I know, but if get less than 6 points from those first 3 games there will definitely be some who seriously practically think we're doomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Salah will play tomorrow against Uruguay - too soon?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mohamed-salah-injury-egypt-boss-121800381.html

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Salah will play tomorrow against Uruguay - too soon?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mohamed-salah-injury-egypt-boss-121800381.html

No issue for me but if he dislocates his shoulder and doesn't come off I'll write an angry post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

What was Salah's injury in the end? At first I heard dislocated shoulder, but then I heard he'd done his AC joint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Godin & Gimenez will probably try a few shoulder barges if they can get near Salah.

jasonb wrote: »
    What was Salah's injury in the end? At first I heard dislocated shoulder, but then I heard he'd done his AC joint?

Definitely not a dislocation, maybe felt like it though! Given it's not leg related, they were always likely to play him. Like Linekar playing with the cast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Knex. wrote: »

We also have a home game after everyone so no big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Ah I know, but if get less than 6 points from those first 3 games there will definitely be some who seriously practically think we're doomed.

Less than 6 from those first three would be a disastrous start !

And half of those CL games are at home, so 3 out of 6 we will come back after an away game and they can sleep in their own beds for 5/6 nights in a row. And it's not like a trip to London is a big challenge.

Less than 6 from those first three would be a disastrous start !

It wouldn't be great, but people (including me at times admittedly) get too carried away with declarations of doom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

There was mutterings of Can to City a while ago, nothing about it since mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Fieldog wrote: »
    There was mutterings of Can to City a while ago, nothing about it since mind...
    Last I heard/read was that he's due a physical with Juve this week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't think Can is good enough that I'd particularly mind if he went to a rival.

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't think Can is good enough that I'd particularly mind if he went to a rival.

that's what Chelsea fans thought about Salah, be careful what you wish for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I dont think i have worried about can leaving for a single moment. Above average player with loads of prospect. But is often frustrating and makes silly mistakes at times. No loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

gimli2112 wrote: »
    that's what Chelsea fans thought about Salah, be careful what you wish for :)

Salah was never given a fair chance to prove himself in England until he came to Liverpool. Can has had four seasons to do so and I’m still not convinced by him.

The only annoying thing is not getting a fee for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think people are being a bit dismissive of Can. I mean it's Juventus who are after him, not some mid-table crowd.

I think he's a fine player. He's younger than Ox too so plenty of time to improve.

Would have been to good to keep him but I don't think he wanted to stay.

Nobody can deny Can's ability or potential.

He was just never consistent enough. Pity as there's a very good player in there.

Wish him the best anyway at Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit dismissive of Can. I mean it's Juventus who are after him, not some mid-table crowd.

I think he's a fine player. He's younger than Ox too so plenty of time to improve.

Would have been to good to keep him but I don't think he wanted to stay.

If you'd asked me before we signed Ox who I'd rather have at the club, it would have been Can without question. Fact is that Klopp's been able to turn Ox into a hugely effective player for us whereas Can looks decent in fits and starts for us. Still wish him all the best at Juve.

Dont get me wrong i like Can and if i had the choice i would rather he stayed. But i also dont think he is good enough consistently to rely on in big games. That of course is not to say he cant be one of our beat players at times. I just think we can improve that part of our team a lot. Fabinho and kieta are a great start to that goal. So thats why i dont think he is a big loss. Likewise hendo milner gini and adam. All above average players. But if we looked to improve on them i wouldnt miss them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Four weeks of this is going to kill me, sign someone!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Four weeks of this is going to kill me, sign someone!!!!!!!!

I hear that Nice striker is out of contract this summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It wouldn't be great, but people (including me at times admittedly) get too carried away with declarations of doom.

Yeah, like, there will definately come a run of fixtures this season where we get less than 6 points from 3 games we expected to win. Its 38 games... these things happen.

How we play is more important.

I actually kind of wish we had a few tougher games early on - we're not gonna have a lot of change at the start of the season most likely, so could have caught a few of the better teams out I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

August
    Date/Team Team TV
    11th Aug West Ham
    18th Aug Palace (a)
    25th Aug Brighton

September
    Date/Team Team TV
    1st Sep Leicester (a)
    15th Sep Spurs (a)
    18th Sep UCL Match Day 1