Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Talisman wrote: »
    It's not a case of sitting on the bench waiting for an injury, rotating the players to keep them fresh will prevent injuries.

That's why I'm saying just one for the top 3 positions. You don't need 6 players hanging around for those 3 positions.

Not sure if Fekir can play there or if he's further back. But we need a top class player to rotate with those 3 and maybe a younger player like Solanke to get more of a chance too when we have cup games etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Wheety wrote: »
    That's why I'm saying just one for the top 3 positions. You don't need 6 players hanging around for those 3 positions.

Not sure if Fekir can play there or if he's further back. But we need a top class player to rotate with those 3 and maybe a younger player like Solanke to get more of a chance too when we have cup games etc.

I like to see us put in a cheeky £25-30m bid for Vardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I like to see us put in a cheeky £25-30m bid for Vardy.

When have Liverpool put in a "cheeky" bid?

The phrase annoys me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cheeky? That's insulting, he may be 31 going on Albert Steptoe but he'll go for twice that unless he is down to his last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

someone is on a serious phucking wind up,has to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Lot of lads cant handle a few home truths. Millions need to be spent on defence and a keeper and + what's going on currently in midfield. There wont be money for the other end. Sturridge for Firmino is a no brainer.
    Yep I agree there is a missing brain here alright but I won’t clarify what I mean by that.
    Have you been watching Sturridges career over the last 3 years ? Do you even watch football ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

someone is on a serious phucking wind up,has to be.

I agreed with the post until the point Sturridge was mentioned, now I know it's a wind up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Lot of lads cant handle a few home truths. Millions need to be spent on defence and a keeper and + what's going on currently in midfield. There wont be money for the other end. Sturridge for Firmino is a no brainer.

I saw this quote and assumed it was someone pulling a post from like 2 years ago then i see its from 20 minutes ago. :eek::eek:

Give yourself a break lad and pack in watching football. Its obviously not for you.

There's a reason the ignore button exists.

In other news - Harry Wilson makes the Guardian's Championship Team of the Season despite having only joined Hull in January.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2018/may/30/football-league-best-xis-2017-18-ruben-neves-marc-mcnulty

Fieldog wrote: »
    I agreed with the post until the point Sturridge was mentioned, now I know it's a wind up...

Maybe its a T1000 version of Sturridge, but f**k me because it's Sturridge he'd probably end up getting injured too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

So the Egyptian FA have announced that Mo's absence through injury won't be longer than 3 weeks. I hope they don't rush him back and do further damage. Can't blame them for wanting him but I'm seeing this from our perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Goalkeeper is a hugely important position. If it takes a monstrous bid to get a keeper that's at the level of the rest of our team than so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Goalkeeper is a hugely important position. If it takes a monstrous bid to get a keeper that's at the level of the rest of our team than so be it.

We are going to get rid big time for any goalkeeper! But on last Saturdays performance, well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

mosstin wrote: »
    So the Egyptian FA have announced that Mo's absence through injury won't be longer than 3 weeks. I hope they don't rush him back and do further damage. Can't blame them for wanting him but I'm seeing this from our perspective.

I cant see them rushing him back because LFC would have to give him clearance to play because they pay his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

dogbert27 wrote: »
    We could do a cash plus player for Allison or Oblak, send Mig the other way.

That would only increase the fee we have to pay

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/football/coupe-du-monde/premiere-offre-de-liverpool-pour-fekir-30-05-2018-7744437.php
    Comme beaucoup de Bleus, Nabil Fekir aimerait que son avenir soit réglé avant la Coupe du monde. Il bénéficie d’un bon de sortie de la part de Lyon et l’intérêt de Liverpool est tellement pressant que cela reste une forte possibilité. Le finaliste de la Ligue des champions a comme prévu entamé des discussions concrètes avec l’OL. Il a selon nos informations transmis une première offre autour de 60 M€, qui ne correspond pas encore totalement aux attentes lyonnaises.

Du côté de Lyon, on n’est pas certain que le deal soit conclu avant l’entrée des Bleus en compétition (le 16 juin). Parce que les discussions sont encore loin d’aboutir, parce que certains détails sont aussi à régler dans l’entourage de l’attaquant de 24 ans… et parce que l’OL n’est pas si pressé.

No, it doesn't need translating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think you vastly overrate my French, Harry.

Je suis Tarzan, cá bhfuil Jane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fekir wants to join before the World Cup Lyon want to drag it out.

I think this is just a case of waiting until Lyon do not look like they are being taken advantage of. €60m for this fella is arguably robbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

me and google translate have this

Like many Blues, Nabil Fekir would like his future to be settled before the World Cup. He has a good exit from Lyon and the interest of Liverpool is so urgent that it remains a strong possibility. The finalist of the Champions League has as planned started concrete discussions with the OL. According to our information, it provided a first offer of around € 60 million, which does not yet fully meet Lyon's expectations.

As for Lyon, we are not sure that the deal is concluded before the entry of the Blues in competition (June 16). Because the discussions are still far from over, because some details are also to be settled in the entourage of the 24-year-old striker ... and because OL is not in such a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I think this is just a case of waiting until Lyon do not look like they are being taken advantage of. €60m for this fella is arguably robbery.

Who's doing the robbery? Us? He must be some player. I don't know much about him but this is probably gonna be our best transfer window in many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lyon are hoping he has a good world cup and other teams come in with bigger offers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

This has the makings of being our transfer saga for this window - Olympique Lyon have a history of holding out for the highest possible price for players.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This has the makings of being our transfer saga for this window - Olympique Lyon have a history of holding out for the highest possible price for players.

As they should generally. I'm hoping an agreement can be reached though soon enough, get it boxed off. Fekir, a goalie, and a good forward, one you wouldn't mind seeing Mane/Firmino benched for as rotation, would be a great window provided we didn't lose anyone we wanted to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

astradave wrote: »
    Lyon are hoping he has a good world cup and other teams come in with bigger offers..

As they're perfectly entitled to do.

Yep, can’t see him even forcing the issue before the World Cup, it could have a bad effect on him too and he is under contract with Lyon so ultimately they have the final say.

Now watch him sign for ye tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

There is a flip side for Lyon, though. LFC and other EPL clubs have only until 9 August to get their business done. Lyon would want to be sure of bidders from other leagues to push it beyond a certain point. Go to far, and they'll be faced with Juve and the likes sidling up to them with half a Mars bar and and an iPhone 4S with a cracked screen, looking to trade adverts.ie style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Not sold on Fekir. Also not sure the rumours have any grounding in reality. The club are super fucķing smooth in their transfers these days.

5starpool wrote: »
    As they should generally. I'm hoping an agreement can be reached though soon enough, get it boxed off. Fekir, a goalie, and a good forward, one you wouldn't mind seeing Mane/Firmino benched for as rotation, would be a great window provided we didn't lose anyone we wanted to keep.
    You can always hope but be prepared for the frustration - OL's president has a long history of holding out for what he believes a player is worth.

In 2005, they rejected numerous offers for Michael Essien and eventually settled on a deal that was almost three times Chelsea's original offer and just shy of the £30M that Lyon's president Jean-Michel Aulas said the player would cost.

They received serious offers from Premier League clubs for Lacazette for 4 years, yet they kept hold of him until they were ready to sell. The opening offer from Chelsea was £25M in 2014, in 2015 it was £30M plus a player, 2016 Arsenal offered £42M (Lyon wanted £45M) and in 2017 they agreed to sell for £53M.

The way OL's president has spoken about wanting Fekir to stay for the Champions League next season I don't think he intends to sanction a move unless there is an absolutely ridiculous offer made for the player. And by ridiculous I mean €90-120M, I have my doubts that Liverpool will make such an offer for him this summer.

• Advertisement

Fekir wants to leave it appears so that helps Liverpool.

Fekir wants to leave it appears so that helps Liverpool.
    I don't think it does.

The early reports said there was an agreement with the club that he could leave if Lyon didn't qualify for the Champions League. Since then Marseille dropped points in the last few league games (Europa League distraction) that allowed Lyon to sneak into third place and secure the final Champions League place.

After the last league game Fekir said he would have to speak to the club president before he could say whether he would be leaving the club.

The only way I can see him leaving is if Lyon specify the fee they will accept and Liverpool make an offer that's in the same range. To give an example, last summer they sold Tolisso to Bayern for €42M plus add-ons which could potentially make it €48M in total. After the deal was announced it was reported that when Bayern initially enquired about the player they were quoted a price of €50M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107107982&postcount=8849 "Surprised you haven't made it rain yet, though I suppose its still just getting cloudy now isn't it."

Thought you were having a go at me there for a minute :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The only way I can see him leaving is if Lyon specify the fee they will accept and Liverpool make an offer that's in the same range. To give an example, last summer they sold Tolisso to Bayern for €42M plus add-ons which could potentially make it €48M in total. After the deal was announced it was reported that when Bayern initially enquired about the player they were quoted a price of €50M.

is that not how every transfer works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Maybe Lyon would like Origi? I think he'd do well in France, the league itself is improving, and they still need to properly replace Lacazette - Marion did well until Christmas, but only 5 since, a lot expected of Depay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Not sold on Fekir. Also not sure the rumours have any grounding in reality. The club are super fucķing smooth in their transfers these days.

He is what we need and will be a huge addition.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134893/Show/Nabil-Fekir

IW25cAN.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Can't say I'm in any way familiar with him but those stats are impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Some more Fekir stats -

Total Appearances - 26
    Total Goals Scored - 17
    Shot Accuracy - 68%
    Total Chances Created - 52
    Avg. Pass Accuracy - 84%
    Avg. Pass Length - 15m

Compare to Coutinho before Jan -

Total Appearances - 13
    Total Goals Scored - 2
    Shot Accuracy - 68%
    Total Chances Created - 26
    Avg. Pass Accuracy - 86%
    Avg. Pass Length - 15m

So he has near identical stats, except more goals. Same pass and shot accuracy, same pass length, same chances created (for half the games)

They are only stats, but pretty compelling reading...

You would hope so, but Aulas has spoken about Fekir being worth as much to Lyon as Lemar (€100M+) and Mbappe (€180M) were worth to Monaco last summer. Liverpool's supposed €60-70M valuation of the player falls some way short of that.

In the past our club has had a tendency to haggle rather than come to the negotiations with a viable compromise offer. The deals for Keita and Van Dijk might be an indication that the club is going to be sensible and not lose out on transfer targets when they have the money to spend anyway.

We'll have to wait and see.

Indeed, but it seems to be expected that Lyon value the chap at a tad more than the rumoured €60m being mentioined.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, but it seems to be expected that Lyon value the chap at a tad more than the rumoured €60m being mentioined.

Every minute that we are linked to him is free advertising and media promotion for Lyon :)
    I'd say they are hoping for a good WC from him to add the WC premium if he is sold to us.

• Advertisement

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134893/Show/Nabil-Fekir

IW25cAN.jpg

He’d definitely slot in nicely behind your front three and is great at running from deep, he would be a direct replacement and upgrade for Ox, who played the role great in fairness. When is Ox due back? Really thought ye missed his running from the Centre in the CL Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Harry Wilson made the Football Leagues Best 11 even though he only joined Hull in January. Hopefully he gets a loan move to one of the PL clubs next season so he can build on this.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2018/may/30/football-league-best-xis-2017-18-ruben-neves-marc-mcnulty?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Post_on_Reddit

When is Ox due back?
    The club hoped he would return in July but have since said it will be the end of the year so November/December.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He’d definitely slot in nicely behind your front three and is great at running from deep, he would be a direct replacement and upgrade for Ox, who played the role great in fairness. When is Ox due back? Really thought ye missed his running from the Centre in the CL Final

The most important thing is that he is a player if he came in that is not a squad filler, but one for the starting 11 and competing for a place in the front 3....well, I think that we are going to switch to a front 4 in some games this upcoming season with the strength we've added to the spine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ox is due back November sometime. Could be closer to December if there are any further set backs.

Just seen that Sean Cox moved to Beaumont Hospital at the weekend.

Stricken Liverpool fan Sean Cox returns home to Ireland - but remains in a critical condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

The club hoped he would return in July but have since said it will be the end of the year so November/December.

Even with the reinforcements that's a killer. Ox was really relishing his play. However no way can you rush the rehabilitation on this, especially given it's the second time it's happened at such a young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I get the feeling this might come with its own big bag of salt, lots of 'Ifs' in the article...

https://readchelsea.com/2018/05/31/liverpool-eye-shock-move-for-thibaut-courtois/

jasonb wrote: »
    I get the feeling this might come with its own big bag of salt, lots of 'Ifs' in the article...

https://readchelsea.com/2018/05/31/liverpool-eye-shock-move-for-thibaut-courtois/
    Before Christmas there was mention of him returning to Atletico if Oblak was sold. It wouldn't surprise me to see him run down his contract and move to one of the Madrid clubs on a Bosman in 2019.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Some more Fekir stats -

Total Appearances - 26
    Total Goals Scored - 17
    Shot Accuracy - 68%
    Total Chances Created - 52
    Avg. Pass Accuracy - 84%
    Avg. Pass Length - 15m

Compare to Coutinho before Jan -

Total Appearances - 13
    Total Goals Scored - 2
    Shot Accuracy - 68%
    Total Chances Created - 26
    Avg. Pass Accuracy - 86%
    Avg. Pass Length - 15m

So he has near identical stats, except more goals. Same pass and shot accuracy, same pass length, same chances created (for half the games)

They are only stats, but pretty compelling reading...

Whotinho scored 7 goals before he left.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement