Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Its all gone very quiet on the transfer front but it was to expected with the world cup going on.

I just hope that a lot of the deals are done for the club and will be finalised promptly after the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Leno wont be our new keeper. Signed for Arsenal and it is expected to be announced tomorrow.

Will Klopp stick with Karius or will we get a new keeper???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Interesting how Arsenal are plundering the BL by one means or another. What are those Le Harve teenagers going to do now? :(;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Interesting how Arsenal are plundering the BL by one means or another. What are those Le Harve teenagers going to do now? :(;)

Their head of recruitment is a German and only moved from Dortmund this year...add to that that Mertesacker is also the head of the academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

For those watching, Henderson's passing has been quite wonderful tonight. England are wretched though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mosstin wrote: »
    For those watching, Henderson's passing has been quite wonderful tonight. England are wretched though.

Ah would you stop... it's the best opening 10 minutes an England side have produced at a major finals since 66.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Ah would you stop... it's the best opening 10 minutes an England side have produced at a major finals since 66.

This is the equivalent of North Korea they're playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Henderson is a better Jay Spearing. Point, point, point, hide behind opposition player, point, receive ball and pass back to player, hide behind opposition player, more pointing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

brevity wrote: »
    Henderson is a better Jay Spearing. Point, point, point, hide behind opposition player, point, receive ball and pass back to player, hide behind opposition player, more pointing...

Jesus......would have said a poor man's Carrick myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kane will get the plaudits for the goals but Henderson was the best player on the pitch and one of the few who looked like he had his brain switched on.

Pffft...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Leno wont be our new keeper. Signed for Arsenal and it is expected to be announced tomorrow.

Will Klopp stick with Karius or will we get a new keeper???

I'll keep throwing his name out but schmeichel would be a fine upgrade and cost half of what this Brazilian lad would.

I thought Henderson had a great game.
    Kane stepped up and took his two goals well too, what you want a #9 to do IMO.
    Can't really begrudge our neighbours a win at the WC, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

VVD points - he's a leader

Henderson points - he's not captain material, not a leader, all he does it points and shouts

VVD points - he's a leader

Henderson points - he's not captain material, not a leader, all he does it points and shouts

He is a remarkably maligned player. Have a lot of respect for him. If he's good enough for Klopp, he's good enough for me. You can sing that to the tune of Dodgy if you wish. Christ, they were an awful band, weren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We should really look at Sergio Rico from Sevilla.

Been very impressive for Sevilla last few years & could get him for 20-30m. Excellent GK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I'm always a fan of Hendo. Someone mentioned there earlier that he points and hides - I would say the last thing he ever does is hide. He does sometimes have a tendency to run too much, without tangible effect, but I think he's gotten much better with this. Picking and choosing when to run and when to hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Glad to hear Hendo played well, caught the last 30mins or so didn't notice him doing anything extraordinary but by all accounts, England started well and lulled considerably. I know it's the RTE lads but they were saying he was the weakest link in the team in the pre match analysis, going backwards and sideways was repeated. The guy was anchoring the midfield, as club captain, in Liverpools run to the CL and a decent season whilst having a few injuries. I don't understand some of the criticism he gets. Guys Mr.Dependable and he's getting better under Klopp.

Loftus Cheek did well with driving runs when he came on, made me realise how unlucky Ox is given how improved he was at driving at opposition. Really looking forward to what our midfield can bring next year with Keita and Fabihno added.

He's meh! Meh! Meh! Meh!

Of course he's capable of a good pass or even a good performance and he's probably lovely to old ladies or something but I've had enough. I've made a point of watching him of late - hes a dumb waiter of a player. Watch him, he's so predictable.

Keita and Fabinho are being brought in because our midfield is weak as ****. Klopp knows it and has had to make moves. His time is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Henderson gets an awful lot of undeserved criticism here by people who don't appreciate what he brings to the team.

The pointing thing has just become annoying that posters say who can't really think of anything genuine to criticise him for.

He wouldn't be picked every week by Klopp and kept as captain and also picked by various England managers unless he offered more.

I also remember we really missed him in the team when he was suspended in for the last 3 games of our title run in 2014 but not many will 'point' that out.

• Advertisement

He was playing a very different role back then, not sure he's be missed much from here on once Fabinho and Keita axis is up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's meh! Meh! Meh! Meh!

Of course he's capable of a good pass or even a good performance and he's probably lovely to old ladies or something but I've had enough. I've made a point of watching him of late - hes a dumb waiter of a player. Watch him, he's so predictable.

Keita and Fabinho are being brought in because our midfield is weak as ****. Klopp knows it and has had to make moves. His time is up.

I bet he'll still play an awful lot more than you think next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Keita and Henderson will start more games next season and everyone else will rotate imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote:
    I bet he'll still play an awful lot more than you think next season.

God I hope that statement is wrong. Klopp was a soft touch to some players for too long.
    Time to upgrade the team if we want to start winning things no performance against world cup place fillers like Tunisia is going to convince me Henderson is good enough to deserve a starting role for us now. Same with Wijnaldum he can go hide on the bench now with his topsy turvy form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d completely forgotten about the Fabinho signing until he was brought up there a few posts back. It’s like when you buy a packet of Toffee Pops and they got lost under all the other shîte in the cupboard, only to find them a few weeks later and think “Deadly, I’ll fcuking have that”. If I end up enjoying the performances of Fabinho as much as I enjoy Toffee Pops, hold onto yer feckin hats, it’ll be a good season lads. And yes I’ve had a bit tonight. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭Guffy

rob316 wrote: »
    I'll keep throwing his name out but schmeichel would be a fine upgrade and cost half of what this Brazilian lad would.

Wouldn't it be gas if the son of a United legend where to became a Liverpool one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

mightyreds wrote: »
    And go into all world cup related threads posting GOAT

Greatest big game player i have ever seen even if he doesnt have the supreme skill of a neymar/messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

martyos121 wrote: »
    I’d completely forgotten about the Fabinho signing until he was brought up there a few posts back. It’s like when you buy a packet of Toffee Pops and they got lost under all the other shîte in the cupboard, only to find them a few weeks later and think “Deadly, I’ll fcuking have that”. If I end up enjoying the performances of Fabinho as much as I enjoy Toffee Pops, hold onto yer feckin hats, it’ll be a good season lads. And yes I’ve had a bit tonight. :)

Thanks martyos, you just reminded me Ive got a box of mini chocolate eclairs in the freezer that Id forgotten about. Eating one now, must resist the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Hendo is a good player and passer of the ball. However, he is a bit slow at releasing and getting into position to receive the ball. Seems to me that he's always looking for the hollywood ball across the pitch instead of going through the middle of the opposition with a one two with another player which would damage them better.

Because of this England are easy enough to hold off and contain....Hendo is not the main problem though. They had a ton of wingers/pacy players and hardly got any crosses in to the box.

He's meh! Meh! Meh! Meh!

Henderson was a success story last season, 2nd half of the season especially. I think you are being overly harsh tbh.

Agree with competition being needed. If Henderson still gets a game with the competition he'll have earned it. Who knows how the new signings will perform. Hopefully successfully, but it doesnt always work out as we know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was a strong critic of Henderson earlier this season. Towards the end he was a different player. He was showing for the ball, more mobile, looking forward, getting back into that QB position and setting tempo from there. He was dictating the play and breaking up attacks. He was everywhere in the middle third.

The way he was playing was allowing the top 3 to do what they do and letting the wing backs get forward.
    There was nothing glamorous about what he was doing, but it was extremely effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Henderson's been one of our more under rated players since he signed. Doesn't ever seem to get the credit but is first in line for criticism when things go wrong.

Blows my mind the bad manners Henderson gets.

Ultimate pro. Never smoked and if I remember correctly he doesn’t drink.

Has always worked as hard as he can. Tries as hard as he can on the pitch. Is very competitive. I think he’s also talented. He’s definitely made the most of his ability.

He does what he does and has played under a few LFC managers now. They all seem to think he’s been good enough. Klopp thinks he’s good enough.

I think his mentality is spot on and I’m delighted to have him play for us.

If we could get 11 players on the pitch every week that care as much as he does and tries as hard as he does we’d be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pearce is reporting that Fekir's agent is saying there is more to come on that story.

Agent asked about it on French TV.
    He didn't sign because um... it is not over! This is not the end of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Henderson is a great player, He will be one of those who is always questioned but the mangers will keep picking him and when he is gone or older people will realise how effective he was,
    Henderson is a leader and England and Liverpool preform better when he plays that says it all really,
    Its like everyone seems to be saying United and England miss Carrick but for years he was never thought of highly,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Imagine a captain in central midfield passing and communicating with the players around him. Yes, Henderson should be sent home.

I don't think Henderson has the quality to play in the current position.

He is Ok.

He tries but he is ponderous on the ball and is uncomfortable receiving the ball under pressure. He seems to constantly receive the ball facing his defence. From what I have seen, he will pass to a player and then move to a position where he can't receive the ball possibly putting his teammate in an awkward spot. This happened a number of times in the England game and a lot in the CL final and the Roma game.

He probably knows his limitations which is why he plays the way he plays.

I do think, when he plays further up, he is capable of very good performances. Like the run when we finished second. He is obviously capable of good passes and I don't really have an issue with him being captain.

The way I look at it is, if we get in a CL semi/final, facing some world class midfielders, would I be happy with Henderson there?

**** no.

Henderson isn't a natural #6, we all know that and so does Klopp. Henderson took on that role, along with the captaincy and had to play infront of a back 4 containing Moreno, Matip and Lovren more often than not.

A difficult gig that he made a decent fist of, rarely worse than 7/10 performances.

Neither Wij or Can kept a fit Henderson out of the first 11, I've no doubt we'll see plenty of Henderson even with Keita and Fabinho in the team/squad.

Reason Henderson gets so much criticism is probably because he is english & rarely scores or assists.

The criticism he gets from some fans is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Augeo wrote: »
    Henderson isn't a natural #6, we all know that and so does Klopp. Henderson took on that role, along with the captaincy and had to play infront of a back 4 containing Moreno, Matip and Lovren more often than not.

A difficult gig that he made a decent fist of, rarely worse than 7/10 performances.

Neither Wij or Can kept a fit Henderson out of the first 11, I've no doubt we'll see plenty of Henderson even with Keita and Fabinho in the team/squad.
    It's mad he isn't a natural 6 but is seen the best England have to play in the position .
    Take into account that mean's in 10/12 years of producing footballers (anyone from 20 /32)  he is the best suited to the roll in the whole country but yet people will abuse him , That's some achievement to be fair to the lad,
    I always thought when as an Irish fan we criticised the likes of Paul McShane and the like,, How bad where the rest of us that they made it and we didn't .

Blows my mind the bad manners Henderson gets.

Ultimate pro. Never smoked and if I remember correctly he doesn’t drink.

Has always worked as hard as he can. Tries as hard as he can on the pitch. Is very competitive. I think he’s also talented. He’s definitely made the most of his ability.

He does what he does and has played under a few LFC managers now. They all seem to think he’s been good enough. Klopp thinks he’s good enough.

I think his mentality is spot on and I’m delighted to have him play for us.

If we could get 11 players on the pitch every week that care as much as he does and tries as hard as he does we’d be alright.

Lucas got it before him. There's always players that divide fans opinions.

Thankfully Klopp picks the team, and you have to trust that he knows best, be it with or without Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Get your support out for PAOK

PAOK (GRE) V Basel (SUI)

If PAOK beat Basel that will move Liverpool up one spot in the seeding and closer to pot 2, then need Benfica to also not get into the group stage to move into Pot 2 from Pot 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I love the way people here criticise henderson for his hollywood balls (not that i wish to see them). His job is to make those passes and release the likes of salah and mane who are making in runs. We scored so many goals because of those long diagonals in the last two years. The way firmino orchestrates the pressing from the front, its Jordan who does that in midfield. He is it pivot of our midfield. When we have the ball he sits back to form an almost back three. This allows our full backs to get forward and provide overlap runs for mane and salah as well as outlets to stretch a defence. When we dont have the ball our wider center mids pivote around Jordan. When he goes 5 yards left or right, so do the other two. When one presses, he falls behind to fill a gap and the other mid comes closer to him. Again being the pivote. Henderson is as important as firmino to our pressing game and his high energy is one of the reasons.

Anyone who seriously things henderson is being replaced clearly hasnt been paying attention. Will there be more competition? Of course. Will he be rotated more now? Of course. But he is still a starter in our strongest xi. He is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

And he's basically covered for (fan's favourite) Can's lack of effort the last two years too.

So all reports are saying we will let Sturridge go if we get €15m.

I can see plenty of teams taking the risk at that price.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    And he's basically covered for (fan's favourite) Can's lack of effort the last two years too.
    I think that is unfair on Can.

He has his poor games but I would never say it is due to lack of effort.
    It is more so his positioning as a midfielder especially as a DM is very poor. Gets attracted to the ball all the time.

Juventus should help him improve in that aspect of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think that is unfair on Can.

He has his poor games but I would never say it is due to lack of effort.
    It is more so his positioning as a midfielder especially as a DM is very poor. Gets attracted to the ball all the time.

Juventus should help him improve in that aspect of his game.

I've lost count the amount of times I watched a game and Can was just walking.
    Lack of effort, nonchalant, too relaxed (reason he gets caught in possession too often as well)... call it what you will, but Henderson has had to covered for Can in loads of games , and bore the brunt of the criticism of it afterwards too.

Bild in Germany are reporting we are going for Yann Sommer as the new keeper.

I remember him from Basel. Lovely smile. No idea if he's a good keeper! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Salah starts :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement