Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Was just about to post a link to this.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/20/ruben-loftus-cheek-england-chelsea?CMP=share_btn_tw

He wouldn't come cheap but is a superbly talented footballer from what I have seen. Worth a shot if some of our other targets aren't available?

I can only imagine the price he would be. And if he wanted guaranteed game time, why would he come to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Jack Grealish linked on a few of the papers today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Thud wrote: »
    Jack Grealish linked on a few of the red top rags papers today

FYP :P

god_no.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can to Juve I have to say I didn't see that one coming at all. Shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thud wrote: »
    Jack Grealish linked on a few of the papers today

His agent has a hell of a tabloid game.
    Wasn't he meant to be going to Spurs already??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Can to Juve I have to say I didn't see that one coming at all. Shocker.

That's because you stay above all that transfer rumour tattle, Coulson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

All the best you sexy beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would Grealish not be a decent signing? Wasn't he good with Villa last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

murpho999 wrote: »
    No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Enough of other teams

Echo saying that there will be 3 new broadcast locations at Anfield for next season on the main stand hopefully main camera will not be so high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I like the gods eye view, the old WHL camera position did my head in.

Pearce says Flanagan to Rangers will be done today.

Villa want £40m for Grealish.

Spurs offered £20m and that was turned down.

£20m would be the max any team should be paying for him even in these crazy transfer market days.

Also we have plenty of players like Wilson, Woodburn, Brewster in our own youth system that would have their way blocked that have the same if not better potential than Grealish.

That kind of money would be better spent on actual proven top class talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wilson scored more goals(7 in 13) in half a season in the Championship for a struggling team than Grealish (3 in 30) did in a good team in Villa.

Grealish is a still a very good player but not very good end product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Yeah the thought of Grealish signing would be bemusing to me to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If any manager in the world can nurture a young talent with potential into a world class player its Klopp.

Klopps success rate has been so good at the club that i have 100 per cent trust in who ever he brings in.

Still reckon Fekir will happen along with a winger (shaqiri), goalkeeper and a cb (hope its lascelles myself).

Villa want £40m for Grealish.

Spurs offered £20m and that was turned down.

£20m would be the max any team should be paying for him even in these crazy transfer market days.

Also we have plenty of players like Wilson, Woodburn, Brewster in our own youth system that would have their way blocked that have the same if not better potential than Grealish.

That kind of money would be better spent on actual proven top class talent.

Would really have no issue with Grealish signing. For the right money.

I don't get what people have against him.

It's all well and good talking about the quantities of players we have but we don't know how good WIlson, Woodburn & Brewster actually are yet.

Also, people said similar things last season when we signed Oxlade-Chamberlain and that worked out pretty well.

I think Klopp is very capable of improving players.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm not so sure about Grealish.
    He had a few sparks of creativity when in EPL, nothing consistent.
    He got more game time in the championship and showed alot more spark there, particularly in the latter half of the season.

I'd rather see what he can do in the EPL for another season before outlaying 40 mil on him.

There's loads of talk about having an attitude about him, I'm sure there was some truth to it, but this was all reported a few years ago and nothing recent.

Is he not just a younger Lallana though?

• Advertisement

The Guardian is reporting that Harry Maguire is a centre back target.

Would really have no issue with Grealish signing. For the right money.

I don't get what people have against him.

It's all well and good talking about the quantities of players we have but we don't know how good WIlson, Woodburn & Brewster actually are yet.

Also, people said similar things last season when we signed Oxlade-Chamberlain and that worked out pretty well.

I think Klopp is very capable of improving players.

One thing we do know is Wilson has been a better Championship player than him and by all accounts the club want to send him back out on loan again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Young English CB who just broke into the national team and is starting for them at the World Cup

To say the fee would be eye-watering is an understatement

Joe Gomez will become a better CB than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There’s at least two other English centre backs I’d want before even considering Harry Maguire. He was dire for most of the Tunisia game and VAR is going to ruin his career as a professional grappler with limited football ability. He’s Skrtel Mk2, and that isn’t a good thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Something more substantive than the rumour mill stuff? That is unreliable, to say the least, and is just a scraping of random stuff suggested on twitter it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Pearce says Flanagan to Rangers will be done today.

He'll fit in well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X7GbpbVARBg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MD1990 wrote: »

Gomez will never make it as a centre back in my opinion, he'll be a decent right full but I can't ever see him making it as a CB from what iv seen ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Gomez will never make it as a centre back in my opinion, he'll be a decent right full but I can't ever see him making it as a CB from what iv seen ,

If he doesn't make it as a CB, I don't hold out much hope for him at the top level whatsoever.

He did a fine job filling in at RB last season but often looked suspect positionally - almost like someone playing out of position... - and his crossing wasn't great, which is a big issue for a modern full back. He got turned a few times too.

I don't see him as a RB long-term at all really.

This isn't to say he can't improve on those elements but I always felt he was being earmarked as a long-term centre-back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Done and dusted

35886289_10155443002030846_6317897927503118336_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=573ca824158582b707cf3c3875e937ff&oe=5BEB121C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If he doesn't make it as a CB, I don't hold out much hope for him at the top level whatsoever.

He did a fine job filling in at RB last season but often looked suspect positionally - almost like someone playing out of position... - and his crossing wasn't great, which is a big issue for a modern full back. He got turned a few times too.

I don't see him as a RB long-term at all really.

This isn't to say he can't improve on those elements but I always felt he was being earmarked as a long-term centre-back.
    I'll go out on a limb and say we will never see him at CB other than a league cup game or some kind of crazy injury crisis .He is 21 and played what 1/2 games at CB since he joined the club ?
    I know he's been injured and that but at a big club like Liverpool young CB don't get a chance unless there word beaters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

MD1990 wrote: »

No he won't unfortunately

shamrock55 wrote: »
    No he won't unfortunately

Maquire at 21 played 3 games all season at Hull City & went on on loan to Wigan in the Championship.

Gomez has played to England against Brazil at 20 & got MOTM playing as a CB in a 3. So already well ahead at the same age of Maquire.

Gomez played well last year. 21 is very young for a CB. I think he will feature more at CB next season & can become a regular in the 2-3 years. Has all the attributes just needs some more experience.

The chances are quite high he will turn out a better player than Maquire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Maguire looks like a bit of an oaf at times. Would rather lascelles myself if we were to sign a young english cb. Both i reckon would cost over 40 million pounds.

I would much rather a player like Koulibaly than any English CB.

Even at £20/30m more.

• Advertisement

I'll go out on a limb and say we will never see him at CB other than a league cup game or some kind of crazy injury crisis .He is 21 and played what 1/2 games at CB since he joined the club ?
    I know he's been injured and that but at a big club like Liverpool young CB don't get a chance unless there word beaters

Couldn;t be much worse than Lovren to be fair. Especially if played with Robertson, Virgil and a capable RB.

Gomez might well be the weakest link in such a back 4 but I doubt he'd be really below what's required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gomez is doing what so many young centre-backs do, play full back while learning his trade. Writing him off at this stage is patently ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

€16 million signing on fee for Emre.

Nice if you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Gomez may not get a run long-term as CB. My point was that if he doesn't, I feel that it's more likely that he would be sold in a few seasons having underwhelmed as a full back because I don't think he has the capabilities to play there long-term.

He looks like a CB to me. When he plays right back, he still looks like a CB, even when he does well. If we try to crowbar him into another position, I just imagine he won't fulfil his potential and will go the way of many other youngsters.

Ive got high hopes for him as a CB, just a question of whether he gets the chance to show it.

I can see Gomez as a player that can sit in front of the back 4, but I don't see him getting that opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Boom_Bap wrote:
    I can see Gomez as a player that can sit in front of the back 4, but I don't see him getting that opportunity.

The issue is he has the potential to become the next carra but so did flanno and kelly. A loan to a preniwr league side that will play him center back would be the most ideal move.

He is a decent height but for some reason looks small on the pitch. His lack of raw pace will kill his full back chances so if he wants to make it here it has to be at center back.

I can see him moving on eventually. He will end up at a team like stoke but wont be big enough as a center back in a defensive team. He will end up playing as a defensive full back. For a pulis or alardyce type manager. Which will be a shame.

Although you never know with klopp. Who would have said klopp would be trusting 19 year old trent as first choice right back? Or players like ox as a firat teamer or ings and solanke as primary back up optoins?

Klopp is nuts and for all we know he sees gomez as a center back now with clyne being back

So he's the next Wisdom :)

I think that TAA took strides ahead of him last season in terms of full back. So it's Clyne and TAA battling for that position.
    In center half, I don't think at this time he is better than 3 of the four we have. So playing for fourth choice center half is no position that a young player wants to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Didn't he go a full year in the premier league where they lost every game he played? You want to take that chance with our current goalies?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Didn't he go a full year in the premier league where they lost every game he played? You want to take that chance with our current goalies?

Jaysus he could be the next Bale either.

Bale had that kind of losing record at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lovren defending well so far against Aguero and Messi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Vicxas wrote: »
    Lovren defending well so far against Aguero and Messi

Yeah, nice block on Meza's shot, looks comfortable, Croatia doing well so far, could be interesting to see how this turns out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gomez is doing what so many young centre-backs do, play full back while learning his trade. Writing him off at this stage is patently ludicrous.

Exactly. He's following the path of one of our best CB's of the past 20 years in Carra. Carra was 25 before he had developed enough to be seen fully as a CB.

Saying anything definitive about a 21 year old CB is pointless. It's an experience position, where players learn their trade over time, or on loan at smaller clubs.

Imo full back, or a loan move, with a bit of common sense with regards to development speed.

We've surely sold off enough good young CB's who went on to become full internationals once they hit their mid-20's, to have learned our lesson here surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Tbh Maguire or Gomez aren't the quality of cb we should even be thinking about,maybe Gomez will come good but I just don't see it being at Liverpool not at cb anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

FitzShane wrote: »
    €16 million signing on fee for Emre.

Nice if you can get it.

I'm guessing players get similar for renewing contracts, though obviously not as much. Otherwise why would players renew? I get the long contract security argument, but Jesus €16m...

As in he's a target for teams he plays against?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement