Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Wow - goalie error that Mig would be proud of and Croatia are leading 1-0 - looks like Lovren might be missing a bit of pre-season....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Lovern playing like a total boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lovern playing like a total boss.

Lovren has been good since Van Dijk came into the team. Would still want an upgrade but gotta give him his due.

ricero wrote: »
    Lovren has been good since Van Dijk came into the team. Would still want an upgrade but gotta give him his due.

In fairness, if he can eliminate the brain farts, he'll be fine beside VVD next season. Would prefer to see us go for an absolute quality replacement - and there's not many potential CB stars on the market - than get some moneyball type player that just messes up the continuity. We have Raggie and Matip and potenially Gomez too, so don't see any need to upset that particular apple cart unless we're bringing in a clear upgrade that will start every week...

Jaysus! That was sweet from Modric! That could be Messi having more time off than he was expecting. Looking forward to the Iceland match tomorrow - all to play for...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Lovern to be World Cup winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Lovern to be World Cup winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had to laugh at the statement on the BBC commentary which went somewhere along the lines of "one of the world's greatest ever players is looking a shadow of his former self, slumped shoulders, treading wearily back to the halfway line."

Actually I thought Dejan Lovren did alright and he looked pretty chuffed at the end :D

Assuming they top the group now, it looks like Denmark in the next round and then probably Spain or Portugal, so could be another 3 games for him - fair dues, the experience will be great for his confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lovren has been doing very well.

Bu I get the feeling he gets carried away with his performances & loses concentration. Hopefully he doesn't start trying some stepovers again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Croatia can worry if he does a presser!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

In case people were thinking I was losing my mind with that statement it was in jest.

May also be losing my mind who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    In fairness, if he can eliminate the brain farts, he'll be fine beside VVD next season. Would prefer to see us go for an absolute quality replacement - and there's not many potential CB stars on the market - than get some moneyball type player that just messes up the continuity. We have Raggie and Matip and potenially Gomez too, so don't see any need to upset that particular apple cart unless we're bringing in a clear upgrade that will start every week...

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle!

Notwithstanding a decent second half to the season, he's still an accident waiting to happen. Sure he dithered and ar5ed around in the first half and helped present an open goal that the Argie fella missed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Notwithstanding a decent second half to the season, he's still an accident waiting to happen. Sure he dithered and ar5ed around in the first half and helped present an open goal that the Argie fella missed.

True, but it was the left back that started the problem, if he dealt with the ball....

After all , if my Aunt had balls.....

Yeah, it was an obvious statement, driven to an extent by him getting a bit more stick than he deserves sometimes. He's not perfect, but he's better than some of the attacks and if he gets his head right (hopefully he's on top of all the off-pitch weirdness he's had to deal with in his private life) he'll be fine next year and there's higher priorities for big ticket buys next season....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Lovren to end up in the team of the tournament.

You heard it here first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lovren not good enough for Liverpool,not if we have any desire to win titles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Lovren not good enough for Liverpool,not if we have any desire to win titles

Many worse have won much more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mr.H wrote: »
    Many worse have won much more

Step forward Otamendi

I cant believe some people are still talking about Schmeichel as a real alternative choice for us. He is turning 32 in November and is above average. Lets be honest he is no better than migs or Karius. He plays in a team that is tactically solid at the back. Where our lads play in a team that is tactically ignorant at the back. Dont get me wrong I am not saying we cant do or shouldnt try to do better in goal. But I am saying that Schmeichel is not an improvement. Jesus his age alone should be the end of that question. He is still thought about as having potential ffs.

ricero wrote: »
    Step forward Otamendi

Jeff Kenna, David May, Pascal Cygan, Luke Chadwick, John O f'n Shea!!

I know our Lovren has his critics but ffs he is way better than all of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I cant believe some people are still talking about Schmeichel as a real alternative choice for us. He is turning 32 in November and is above average. Lets be honest he is no better than migs or Karius. He plays in a team that is tactically solid at the back. Where our lads play in a team that is tactically ignorant at the back. Dont get me wrong I am not saying we cant do or shouldnt try to do better in goal. But I am saying that Schmeichel is not an improvement. Jesus his age alone should be the end of that question. He is still thought about as having potential ffs.

He's certainly better than Mignolet and Marius and turning 32 in November means that he's 31. Sorry but I hate this moving players ages forward if they've a birthday in the next year. United signed Van Der Sar when he was 34 and he sorted out the position for 6 years after a troublesome period. If the family genes are anything to go by he'll be good for 5 or 6 years minimum. A no brained if the price is right imo.

Liam O wrote:
    He's certainly better than Mignolet and Marius and turning 32 in November means that he's 31. Sorry but I hate this moving players ages forward if they've a birthday in the next year. United signed Van Der Sar when he was 34 and he sorted out the position for 6 years after a troublesome period. If the family genes are anything to go by he'll be good for 5 or 6 years minimum. A no brained if the price is right imo.

My point of saying 32 is that is the age he will be for the majority of the season. He will be 32 for far more games than he will be 31.

Is he actually better than them? He is bang average at times and is prone to mistakes even with his all out defence at leicester. He is nothing like his dad. Id rather joe hart and that says it all.

As for his price do you really think they would sell him for less than 30? They dont exactly need the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My point of saying 32 is that is the age he will be for the majority of the season. He will be 32 for far more games than he will be 31.

Is he actually better than them? He is bang average at times and is prone to mistakes even with his all out defence at leicester. He is nothing like his dad. Id rather joe hart and that says it all.

As for his price do you really think they would sell him for less than 30? They dont exactly need the cash.

:eek: You take that back!

~Rebel~ wrote:
    You take that back!

Lol i think i got sick a little as i typed it

Listen everyone im not going crazy i want a new keeper. Just a good one. If oblak was our only other signing it would make my transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Every goalkeeper is bang average at times. Look at Neuer and DDG. Both have made significant mistakes throughout their careers but who doubts they are among the best in the world? Schmeichal I don't rate as world class but he is a dependable keeper. You'd have to be to be in goals when Leicester win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

No he didn't....

Liam O wrote:
    Every goalkeeper is bang average at times. Look at Neuer and DDG. Both have made significant mistakes throughout their careers but who doubts they are among the best in the world? Schmeichal I don't rate as world class but he is a dependable keeper. You'd have to be to be in goals when Leicester win the league.

Do you think wes morgan is good enough to be in our defence?

Their whole team was set up not to concede goals. Migs could have played in that side and would have been no worse. Of course its subjective but kasper has more experience in a position where players get better with experience. We are talking about the difference of how many years? I would prefer our current options to wasting cash on schmiechal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I was thinking the other day at what point should I start panicking that we haven't bought a keeper. I see we've started this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Do you think wes morgan is good enough to be in our defence?

Could you imagine Carra!?

Surely Matip is ahead of Lovren to partner Vigil if both are fit? There's not much between them anyway so if one is injured the drop off in quality isn't anyway significant.

If Virgil is injured we're back to Lovren and Matip, if Virgil and one of Lovren and Matip are injured it gets very grim currently IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Augeo wrote: »
    If Virgil is injured.

Don't you ever say that, do you hear me?
    Never!

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I was thinking the other day at what point should I start panicking that we haven't bought a keeper. I see we've started this now.

The window to buy some players is short as the window closes when the league starts I think....
    The World Cup final is the 15th of July, the Premier League begins August 11th. Add in our pre season or post world cup holidays makes it's a tight enough window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Surely Matip is ahead of Lovren to partner Vigil if both are fit? There's not much between them anyway so if one is injured the drop off in quality isn't anyway significant.

If Virgil is injured we're back to Lovren and Matip, if Virgil and one of Lovren and Matip are injured it gets very grim currently IMO.

Lovren is an excellent CB 90% of the time. Matip is a decent CB 95% of the time.

A slight improvement on the ball and a shade more consistency aren't worth it, IMO. Matip is too tentative and weak. He's a nice option, especially if we'll dominate possession, but you'd never back him against anyone with pace or strength.

Gbear wrote: »
    .........., but you'd never back him against anyone with pace or strength.

Well I suppose that's what Virgil is for.
    As I said, not much between Lovren and Matip really.

I wouldn't describe Lovren as an excellent CB 90% of the time tbh though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not a hope, Dejan is miles better than Matip ,
    I'm my opinion when Dejan is on form there are very few better, Yes every 6/7 games he will make a mistake but when on form he is world class,
    Matip is just decent and also makes errors ,
    I don't think its even a debate Dejan is miles better,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The problem is if Virgil gets injured for any length of time a partnership of Lovren/Matip/Ragnar we know isn't good enough. Maybe a stronger midfield will protect them more, but I still think another CB is a priority.

Also he seems to be the go to fall guy for some
    For instance away to United he lost one header against Lakaku in the whole match but unfortunately it was one when Trent was out of position and people blamed Lovren after the game, Losing one header to Lakaku is no shame, .

I'm my opinion when Dejan is on form there are very few better..............

I think folks are going a tad OTT with Lovren praise, Virgil came in and the defence is better. Robertson has helped too.

Dejan is with the club 4 or 5 years now, how often was he on form?

I don't think Lovren or Matip are great tbh. Klavan can step in and replace either one and not look too bad, and he's brutal to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/raheem-sterling-england-it-was-all-a-drea

Good read and insight to his upbringing, he had it fairly hard...

I'll still boo him at Anfield though... :)

ERG89 wrote: »
    Don't you ever say that, do you hear me?
    Never!

The window to buy some players is short as the window closes when the league starts I think....
    The World Cup final is the 15th of July, the Premier League begins August 11th. Add in our pre season or post world cup holidays makes it's a tight enough window.
    Window shuts two days before the season, so the 9th - I personally can't wait for the 10th, so all the click-bait bullsh!t and wishful thinking is over and it's all tingly excitement for the new season to begin the next day...

I think the posts about VVD being injured are relevant - I've stuck up for Lovren but there's absolutely no denying he's better because VVD brought cool as fcuk calmness to the defense, and lets not forget that Karius was seen as being better organised and more vocal than Mig before the CL final. Still say there's no point wasting money on bringing in anything other than a marquee signing if one was available...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Lovren is a decent defender, if he's not trying anything fancy and keeps a level head, he'll get the job done.
    Having VVD as a partner will give much more confidence, and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder as much as there will be more trust with his partner.
    Not only that, with a better full back along side him, there is less looking out wide to cover.

Lovern is appalling and is not even close to the standard required.

If our goalkeeping situation wasn’t so bad I’d have a new centre half too of my wish list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd definitely have the chubby Lovester partnering VVD ahead of Matip.

He's been nothing short of excellent for months now. A top class GK behind him and we could be looking at a monster defense next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Lovern is appalling and is not even close to the standard required.

If our goalkeeping situation wasn’t so bad I’d have a new centre half too of my wish list.

He most definitely is not appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Croatia can worry if he does a presser!

Oh well. It was good while it lasted. :P:pac::D

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/22/croatia-dejan-lovren-world-cup-1998-semi-final-argentina-luka-modric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Lovren is a decent defender, if he's not trying anything fancy and keeps a level head, he'll get the job done.
    Having VVD as a partner will give much more confidence, and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder as much as there will be more trust with his partner.
    Not only that, with a better full back along side him, there is less looking out wide to cover.

He ended the season going the right way anyway. I've never doubted his ability more so mentally and we've been fairly unlucky in that regard over the last few years if you include Mignolet, Karius, Sakho and Moreno.

VVD has had a calming effect on the defence as a whole and Lovren has played well with him, so I'm happy to go into the new season with them as the main pairing.

Yes the worry is an injury to VVD but there are other more pressing parts of the pitch that need upgrading ahead of it, mainly a GK and a forward.

• Advertisement

I think folks are going a tad OTT with Lovren praise, Virgil came in and the defence is better. Robertson has helped too.

I don't think Lovren or Matip are great tbh. Klavan can step in and replace either one and not look too bad, and he's brutal to be fair.

He's a class player who has moments of madness it's simply, Lovren has had loads of amazing games for Liverpool but he also makes mistake that stick out,
    Bar the Spurs game I can't remember any forward ever giving him the run around, When he's bad he normally dominates but makes one mistake ,
    Matip never even dominates ,he isn't on the same level
    Now obviously he isn't perfect and if we get a world class defender who doesn't make the same mistakes then get him , I know it sounds mad but Lovren has everything but just sometimes makes a huge mistake ,
    Matip is no where near as talented or a dominated for periods but maybe doesn't make as noticeable mistakes

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I know that we haven't taken much from the Champo League Final, but Lovren was one of the standout performers for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I know that we haven't taken much from the Champo League Final, but Lovren was one of the standout performers for me.

Probably the best defender on the pitch.
    Ramos and Varane looked composed but they weren't under anything like the same pressure.

Bobby about to come on for Brazil - 0-0 against Costa Rica 68mins

Phil saves Brazil's blushes in injury time...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement