Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh noes!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marco-asensio-transfer-doubt-real-12809961

Don't even bother clicking. Trinity Press websites are a crime against HTML

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Oh noes!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marco-asensio-transfer-doubt-real-12809961

Don't even bother clicking. Trinity Press websites are a crime against HTML

Hard not to click if you don't give us any context, Harry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

mosstin wrote: »
    I will never feel the need to watch one of these videos.

They're entertaining for me. I like to see what the lads are like 'IRL' and see how they get on together. From this video, I can see Mane is very shy and Wijnaldum is a happy go lucky type lad.

Just mouse over and it says Asensio offer rejected! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

5starpool wrote: »
    What has that got to do with anything?

You would have to be deliberately obtuse or exceedingly naive to not realize how a person's religious or spiritual beliefs can influence their personal or professional development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Keith Andrews, with the big 1950's head on him, is a decent pundit - heard him on some US streams last season doing commentary and he was good - time for some retirements in RTE to let the younger, less grumpy, pundits to come through...

He's very good and seems to have been a really professional player. Heard him on Newstalk or some sort of radio sports show where he discussed his relationship with Paul Ince - standing up to him, not backing down as a young pro at Wolves, Ince brought him to Blackburn then as a manager and they've worked together in mgmt too I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I was listening to Firas Zahabi (MMA coach) on Joe Rogan the other day and the way he talked about Ramadan was that it's just a thing they do. They know it's coming and it's difficult but it's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

D'Agger wrote: »
    Keith Andrews, with the big 1950's head on him, is a decent pundit - heard him on some US streams last season doing commentary and he was good - time for some retirements in RTE to let the younger, less grumpy, pundits to come through...

He's very good and seems to have been a really professional player. Heard him on Newstalk or some sort of radio sports show where he discussed his relationship with Paul Ince - standing up to him, not backing down as a young pro at Wolves, Ince brought him to Blackburn then as a manager and they've worked together in mgmt too I believe.
    One of the funniest moments of my life involved Andrews 
    A friend huge Newcastle fan seen himself and Shay Given having coffee in a hotel while on Ireland duty, He plucked up the courage after 20 minutes of will I won't I go over and ask Shay for his autograph ,
    He stroll over sheepishly and says ," Hey Shay any chance of an autograph"  and before Shay even looks up Andrews reply's, " **** off you ****ing donut " we all hear this and start breaking our crap laughing and our friend walks back head down laughing saying that didn't go as planned,
    For the last ten years , Ever now and again when he ever says something someone will reply, "**** off you ****ing donut, "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

One of the funniest moments of my life involved Andrews 
    A friend huge Newcastle fan seen himself and Shay Given having coffee in a hotel while on Ireland duty, He plucked up the courage after 20 minutes of will I won't I go over and ask Shay for his autograph ,
    He stroll over sheepishly and says ," Hey Shay any chance of an autograph"  and before Shay even looks up Andrews reply's, " **** off you ****ing donut " we all hear this and start breaking our crap laughing and our friend walks back head down laughing saying that didn't go as planned,
    For the last ten years , Ever now and again when he ever says something someone will reply, "**** off you ****ing donut, "

So he's an ignorant ****. Good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

corwill wrote: »
    So he's an ignorant ****. Good to know.

Ha, that's just what I was thinking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Hes so much better than the old "reliables", and the like of Duff, who at times seems like he wants the handy RTE number of no analysis, and find a scapegoat.

Ive heard Andrews on Newstalk a few times and he comes across very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Ive heard Andrews on Newstalk a few times and he comes across very well

Shame that he hates donuts...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

garra wrote: »
    You would have to be deliberately obtuse or exceedingly naive to not realize how a person's religious or spiritual beliefs can influence their personal or professional development.

Not really. If someone has religious beliefs that they can't play on a certain day of the week (as I'm sure some do) then they are never going to be professional footballers. Liverpool have 3 muslims who seem devout and all that. If there was a concern that this Ramadan thing they do every year, and the way they do it, impacted their performances, you can be sure that they would not have been signed by a top club. It's not like Ramadan is a new thing to be considered, and I'm sure muslim footballers, and their clubs know how this can best be managed for each individual.

I'm not sure how their personal development is a concern to you either. People can have a belief set derived from a religious point of view, but a religious person can be an asshole, much like a non religious person, same way either can be good, decent people.

Chelsea and Liverpool finally agree on Solanke deal!

Independent (UK) seems to think Shaqiri deal will be done as soon as he is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Chelsea and Liverpool finally agree on Solanke deal!

Independent (UK) seems to think Shaqiri deal will be done as soon as he is free.

I can't help but wonder if it's been easier to do a deal when both clubs have seen that Solanke hasn't done a lot this past season.

And someone has to say it, Shaqiri is definitley a no-brainer if he's free! :)

• Advertisement

This was the first season I've heard anyone mention Ramadan affecting players. You'd swear muslims only started playing in the past year.

It's a non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

From boot room to prayer room , changing times at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

According to the Independent in the UK, Xerdan Shaqiri's move to Liverpool will be confirmed after the World Cup.

as I've said before, no brainer. and as if it confirm it, he's had a pretty decent World Cup.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

SlickRic wrote: »
    According to the Independent in the UK, Xerdan Shaqiri's move to Liverpool will be confirmed after the World Cup.

as I've said before, no brainer. and as if it confirm it, he's had a pretty decent World Cup.

I don't think that he works hard enough on the defensive side. During the WC he was told not to as he was the only outlet for them.
    But I'm open for him to prove me wrong.

Cardiff are also trying to get Grujic on a season long loaner.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    SlickRic wrote: »

as I've said before, no brainer.  and as if it confirm it, he's had a pretty decent World Cup.

I don't think that he works hard enough on the defensive side. During the WC he was told not to as he was the only outlet for them.
    But I'm open for him to prove me wrong.

Cardiff are also trying to get Grujic on a season long loaner.
    Grujic loan to Cardiff is perfect, get to see how he copes in the prem week in week out ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Grujic loan to Cardiff is perfect, get to see how he copes in the prem week in week out ,

Yeah I'm happy enough with that, but unless he parts seas I don't see him coming back to nail down a starting spot for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

RoboKlopp wrote:
    This was the first season I've heard anyone mention Ramadan affecting players. You'd swear muslims only started playing in the past year.

I remember loads mentioned it on the liverpool forum back when we had yossi. Of course he is jewish and he observed the jewish day of attonment which is different from ramadam. It only lasts 25 hours for a start.

Mr.H wrote: »
    I remember loads mentioned it on the liverpool forum back when we had yossi. Of course he is jewish and he observed the jewish day of attonment which is different from ramadam. It only lasts 25 hours for a start.

I think we are agreeing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shaqiri another former transfer committee target we couldn't get over the line for whatever reason.

Shaqiri another former transfer committee target we couldn't get over the line for whatever reason.

That was down to Rodgers again I think - TC Shaqiri, BR - Lallana. Obviously we'll never know who was proven more right on that but it would be ironic if the Alpine Messi joined as the Hertfordshire Messi left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Lovre Kalinić the Croatian keeper looks so solid. Voted best keeper in Belgium last season. 6ft 7 . He's be solid but a very cheap pair of hands. 5m tops.

So many no frills boring keepers in Europe, I have no idea why we need to put up with what we have, or spend 100m on one.
    80 out of a 100 keepers are sound, you'd have 20 Mignolets and Karius's in there too.
    Just buy a boring keeper with a brain, it's very easy.

So many no frills boring keepers in Europe, I have no idea why we need to put up with what we have, or spend 100m on one.
    80 out of a 100 keepers are sound, you'd have 20 Mignolets and Karius's in there too.
    Just buy a boring keeper with a brain, it's very easy.

This is utterly misguided.

Karius was in the Bundesliga's Team of the Season before he came to us.
    Mignolet was widely renowned as a 'safe pair of hands' after his work for Sunderland.

Being in a keeper in a top team is extremely different to being a keeper for any other team. you must have a special capacity to concentrate, keep yourself on edge, not get bored by not seeing the ball for 95%, and still make that huge save when needed.

how some people don't get this yet is beyond me.

You're over complicating it. Rather take a chance on a Pickford than spend 100m on a ''Name''
    A player should become a star at Liverpool, not arrive as one.

You're over complicating it. Rather take a chance on a Pickford than spend 100m on a ''Name''

Why?

I would love to sign World Class ready made stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Even Neurer for all his acclaim has looked dodgy as has de gea in this world cup.
    Players **** up. You just hope it's not too big a stage they do it on.

• Advertisement

Why should we settle for taking chances?

The Nigerian and Korean keepers have both excelled but we all know about WC form. Personally I'd stop looking for a name and spend the real money stopping chances being created.

The Nigerian and Korean keepers have both excelled but we all know about WC form. Personally I'd stop looking for a name and spend the real money stopping chances being created.

Fab and Keita should hopefully help a lot with that.

Expecting every blade of grass to be covered twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Mr.H wrote: »

First 25 hour day ever!!

Why?

I would love to sign World Class ready made stars.

Maybe that could be us this summer, but usually we end up with the players no one seems to want, or at least players we only seem interested in.
    Coutinho
    Salah
    Suarez
    Firmino
    Mane
    They all arrived at the right money, but became stars at Liverpool. I don't see us paying 120m for anyone this summer. And who is a ready made star, Ronaldo, Bale, Messi, Suarez, Benzema, Canavani, Dybala, Neymar, Coutinho.....
    Nope, we'll be buying a Ferik if that. A player than has won nothing and has yet to prove himself in a top league, or in European or international level. But he could become a star at Liverpool, if he does come.

Pickford has never been on a team that doesn't have shots come at him on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Karius > pickford

Maybe that could be us this summer, but usually we end up with the players no one seems to want, or at least players we only seem interested in.
    Coutinho
    Salah
    Suarez
    Firmino
    Mane
    They all arrived at the right money, but became stars at Liverpool. I don't see us paying 120m for anyone this summer. And who is a ready made star, Ronaldo, Bale, Messi, Suarez, Benzema, Canavani, Dybala, Neymar, Coutinho.....
    Nope, we'll be buying a Ferik if that. A player than has won nothing and has yet to prove himself in a top league, or in European or international level. But he could become a star at Liverpool, if he does come.

And I would take Fekir over Gotze a guy who has won nearly everything and scored the winning goal in a World Cup Final.

It's about finding the right player all the better if the are proven but proven doesn't always work.

Although buy Reus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A sign that Liverpool have progressed - this time last year we were discussing James McClean as a potential player. We have come a long, long way baby ;)

• Advertisement

Not really. If someone has religious beliefs that they can't play on a certain day of the week (as I'm sure some do) then they are never going to be professional footballers. Liverpool have 3 muslims who seem devout and all that. If there was a concern that this Ramadan thing they do every year, and the way they do it, impacted their performances, you can be sure that they would not have been signed by a top club. It's not like Ramadan is a new thing to be considered, and I'm sure muslim footballers, and their clubs know how this can best be managed for each individual.

I'm not sure how their personal development is a concern to you either. People can have a belief set derived from a religious point of view, but a religious person can be an asshole, much like a non religious person, same way either can be good, decent people.

The original poster declared the player is Muslim. You called him on this comment, with a "so what" response.

The reason it is absolutely fine to mention a player's religious / spiritual belief system is that it will most likely have a bearing on that player's professional development. A player who doesn't drink or smoke, or take other drugs due to their belief system is a player less likely to have problems with money/stardom/fame.

In this context I don't like seeing posters fobbed off with a "So what?" type of response when their contribution is fully valid. There is plenty of nonsense in-joke / ironic posts on this forum, let's not cull the few original contributors.

The original poster declared the player is Muslim. You called him on this comment, with a "so what" response.

The reason it is absolutely fine to mention a player's religious / spiritual belief system is that it will most likely have a bearing on that player's professional development. A player who doesn't drink or smoke, or take other drugs due to their belief system is a player less likely to have problems with money/stardom/fame.

In this context I don't like seeing posters fobbed off with a "So what?" type of response when their contribution is fully valid. There is plenty of nonsense in-joke / ironic posts on this forum, let's not cull the few original contributors.

I wasn't being dismissive, but I didn't see the relevance whatsoever. None of the players smoke I'd imagine, and being Muslim is no bar to that anyhow. Henderson doesn't drink and I don't see that generally praised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Muahahaha wrote: »
    A sign that Liverpool have progressed - this time last year we were discussing James McClean as a potential player. We have come a long, long way baby ;)

Kenny was a big fan of James McClean and there was talk of signing him after his purple patch at Sunerland.

The original poster declared the player is Muslim.  You called him on this comment, with a "so what" response.  

The reason it is absolutely fine to mention a player's religious / spiritual belief system is that it will most likely have a bearing on that player's professional development.  A player who doesn't drink or smoke, or take other drugs due to their belief system is a player less likely to have problems with money/stardom/fame.  

In this context I don't like seeing posters fobbed off with a "So what?" type of response when their contribution is fully valid.  There is plenty of nonsense in-joke / ironic posts on this forum, let's not cull the few original contributors.

I wasn't being dismissive, but I didn't see the relevance whatsoever. None of the players smoke I'd imagine, and being Muslim is no bar to that anyhow. Henderson doesn't drink and I don't see that generally praised.
    Not going lie iv thought in the past it must be great to have these lads as role models for the young players coming through and one of the reason is they don't drink and won't ever been seeing in night clubs,
    To be fair its a long time since Liverpool players have seen to be big drinkers or partiers , I remember back when Spurs where a flakey bunch every week one of there players be pictured in the London club scene

Your point about Henderson is a great example.. Here is a technically-limited player who works like a trojan to get every last ounce out of his career, to the point that his professionalism is rewarded with the captaincy of LFC. He is not formally religious but lives his life with the kind of piety associated with stricter religious demands, ie Muslim, Mormon or similar.

Before Hendo was signed it would have been relevant to mention this "monk-like" adherence to clean living... to mention a player is a devout Muslim is akin to saying exactly the same thing.

For now let's agree to disagree on what we both find of relevance when discussing players, and leave each to their own regarding what others find relevant or not...

Your point about Henderson is a great example.. Here is a technically-limited player who works like a trojan to get every last ounce out of his career, to the point that his professionalism is rewarded with the captaincy of LFC.  He is not formally religious but lives his life with the kind of piety associated with stricter religious demands, ie Muslim, Mormon or similar.  

Before Hendo was signed it would have been relevant to mention this "monk-like" adherence to clean living... to mention a player is a devout Muslim is akin to saying exactly the same thing.  

For now let's agree to disagree on what we both find of relevance when discussing players, and leave each to their own regarding what others find relevant or not...
    I know Henderson doesn't drink but wasn't he pictured in a strip club the same night as the famous pic of Rooney drunk on England duty, I guess he gets his trills else where from alcohol . Not that there is anything wrong with that as long as he tipped :)

• Advertisement

Monk like - James Milner is practically our Dalai Lama

What kind of boring thread would that make?

What kind of boring thread would that make?

The sort of boring thread some posters would be delighted with.

corwill wrote: »
    The sort of boring thread some posters would be delighted with.

I disagree for some spurious reasons. I dare you to refute my logic. Go on.

I disagree for some spurious reasons. I dare you to refute my logic. Go on.

I'm absolutely blown away by the compelling nature of your arguments. Now, where did I leave that galaxy brain meme gif...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement