Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

5starpool wrote: »
    I disagree for some spurious reasons. I dare you to refute my logic. Go on.

I don't see the relevance of this comment to LFC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    This was the first season I've heard anyone mention Ramadan affecting players. You'd swear muslims only started playing in the past year.

It's a non story.

That's perhaps more to do with the timelines of it though? In recent years it's been between May and June. Not exactly peak time for games.

And it's getting earlier as the years progress due to how the Islamic calendar lines up. For example, in 2021 it'll be mid April to May. In 2005 it was Oct to Nov.

In every sport you hear about ramadan potentially affecting players, rightly or wrongly, whenever it's about to crop up.

Khabib in MMA never fights during this time, for example.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. They're well used to it. Just I suppose at the very top level of the game small margins can count, so I can see why people make a meal out of it.

(pun not intended)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The 'Iranian Messi' is now free to concentrate on his club career without the distraction of international football.

%D9%88%D8%B1%D8%B2%D8%B4.jpg

Sardar Azmoun retires from playing for Iran at 23 (BBC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

In spite of his best efforts, Sadio might well be getting a bit more rest than he thought this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He's been a bit disappointing I have say, lacking focus too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He's been a bit disappointing I have say, lacking focus too often.

He's trying too hard to do everything, he's surrounded by dross up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mane & Salah going to be back early so should be fine for opening day of season.
    Good news.

The rest of the top 4 could be missing some of there best players depending how far they advance.

Good chance to get off to go a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

TAA starts for England in a World Cup match, very pleased for the young lad, even if there’s little at stake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mane & Salah going to be back early so should be fine for opening day of season.
    Good news.

The rest of the top 4 could be missing some of there best players depending how far they advance.

Good chance to get off to go a good start.

Anyone know what the time off standard is after the WC? If it's two weeks then the folks already out should be able for the U.S. tour...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

martyos121 wrote: »
    TAA starts for England in a World Cup match, very pleased for the young lad, even if there’s little at stake. :)

He's been really good so far. His crosses are so dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

England midfield not looking as strong without Henderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

TAA doing well enough, hard to see Henderson's position coming under threat from Dier.

Trent has some techinque for a RB.

Going to be some player in a years. Maybe he might play in midfield in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

MD1990 wrote: »
    Trent has some techinque for a RB.

Going to be some player in a years. Maybe he might play in midfield in the future

Think he actually is a midfielder

TAA doing well enough, hard to see Henderson's position coming under threat from Dier.

Thought Trent was superb in the first half. Only his 2nd cap - standout player for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'll never complain about Henderson again.

How do Spurs function with Eric Dier in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'll never complain about Henderson again.

How do Spurs function with Eric Dier in there?

Awful, awful performance from Dier today. I didn't think he was that bad a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lad who works with me is an avid Spurs fan. Can't abide Dier playing in midfield. His head is wrecked with him.

He predicted exactly that type of performance if he was starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

nfRrMdk_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Karius > pickford

That is an incorrect equation. Karius is superior to no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

See a lot of stories being reported about Asensio. There's no way we're going to pay the kind of money being talked about. Find it hard to believe it's Liverpool pushing these rumours. Maybe RM are going to try and suggest a player swap.
    More like one journalist made it up and others are just following it. I believe sheeple is the term now used or maybe it's sheople.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

gimli2112 wrote: »
    See a lot of stories being reported about Asensio. There's no way we're going to pay the kind of money being talked about. Find it hard to believe it's Liverpool pushing these rumours. Maybe RM are going to try and suggest a player swap.
    More like one journalist made it up and others are just following it. I believe sheeple is the term now used or maybe it's sheople.

The valuations in the media are nuts, but he's a superb player. No way Real would
    let him go though, he'll be the new star with Ronaldo dimming.

As for Trent yesterday, I wonder did he bring him off thinking he might play next game? Thought him and Rose were much better then Trippier and Young, against a real opponent...

On his day he's not too bad, if you accept the concussion was at least partly responsible for the shambolic CL display then he's far from the worst keeper in the PL.

I don't think he's what we need but I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our #1 for the coming season, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Augeo wrote: »

On his day he's not too bad, if you accept the concussion was at least partly responsible for the shambolic CL display then he's far from the worst keeper in the PL.

I don't think he's what we need but I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our #1 for the coming season, unfortunately.
    He's up there ,the guy kicked a goal kick out for a corner earlier in the season he is shocking,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Anyone know when sky bring out their TV dates for games

• Advertisement

I'cant remember karius ever making a save tbh,nothing of note anyway

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I'cant remember karius ever making a save tbh,nothing of note anyway
    Newcastle at home, Everton away ,Kane peno .
    To be fair he got better at shot stopping from January on but still not good enough ,

Karius is only ok. We need better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Karius has cost us more points than he will ever win back for us. He's done as a goalkeeper at the club, he hasn't the mental strength or ability to be starting anymore. It's a total joke if he is starting come August.

I can't go back to Mingolet if it's a choice between the two.

• Advertisement

I can't go back to Mingolet if it's a choice between the two.

No way. Mingolet needs to be moved on.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Anyone know when sky bring out their TV dates for games

Don't know the exact date.

But will be early July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ERG89 wrote: »
    Karius has cost us more points than he will ever win back for us. He's done as a goalkeeper at the club, he hasn't the mental strength or ability to be starting anymore. It's a total joke if he is starting come August.

I can't really think off-hand any time he's cost us points.

There was a league cup game where he tried to stop a shot but his hands appeared to turn into lettuce and the shot went straight through him.

He was pretty well redeemed in many people's eyes up until the CL final. He had been on a good run.
    The general feeling around here was that he was grand but an upgrade was needed. It wasn't "he's dire and we'd be better off with a potted plant".

Just heard,that duckenfield who was is charge of security at Hillsborough is to go to trial for manslaughter of 96 fans,great day for Liverpool fans,29 yes too late but great news all the same

He's up there ,the guy kicked a goal kick out for a corner earlier in the season he is shocking,

Debatable. I think he's quite poor for where we are in the table, he's not a Top4 keeper. I don't think he's any better than Mignolet, likely worse really. But he was bought to be our #1 keeper and if the club reckon the concussion was responsible for the CL performance than we might see plenty more of him.

I was reading something today that referred to an article Boris Johnson wrote while editor of the spectator. It was about a hostage who had been beheaded in Iraq who happened to be from Liverpool. He took the opportunity to bring Hillsborough into it basically defending the sun and the police and apportioning blame or at least an element of it to fans. It was really quite vile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Bigley

It struck me as bizzare some 16 years after the event the establishment was still following this line. I genuinely don't remember this element of it. He's tried to apologise subsequently even in the immediate aftermath but it hasn't been accepted.

I was reading something today that referred to an article Boris Johnson wrote while editor of the spectator. It was about a hostage who had been beheaded in Iraq who happened to be from Liverpool. He took the opportunity to bring Hillsborough into it basically defending the sun and the police and apportioning blame or at least an element of it to fans. It was really quite vile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Bigley

It struck me as bizzare some 16 years after the event the establishment was still following this line. I genuinely don't remember this element of it. He's tried to apologise subsequently even in the immediate aftermath but it hasn't been accepted.

Boris Johnson is, has been and always will be an utter ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Gbear wrote: »

There was a league cup game where he tried to stop a shot but his hands appeared to turn into lettuce and the shot went straight through him.

He was pretty well redeemed in many people's eyes up until the CL final. He had been on a good run.
    The general feeling around here was that he was grand but an upgrade was needed. It wasn't "he's dire and we'd be better off with a potted plant".

Its the saves he doesn't make that's the problem not just errors. A lot of goals can't be stopped but there are a percentage that you wouldn't necessarily say are a goalkeeper error but the better goalkeepers save them. Thats why we need a better goalkeeper to make the saves that will bring in those extra points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I thought the general consensus was that Karius was doing well up until the final.

He's a good keeper imo. It would be nice to get someone better in and keep Karius as a 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

brevity wrote: »
    I thought the general consensus was that Karius was doing well up until the final.

He's a good keeper imo. It would be nice to get someone better in and keep Karius as a 2.

I've always been extremely nervous with him in goal. He fills me with no confidence. With Mignolet even less confident when he is playing. People were also happy at the end of last year as mignolet had a decent end to the season and we see what happened there. Neither are good enough to start for a top 4 team and an upgrade is needed more so than any other position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

One thing that I do like about Karius, and I think he showed it a lot during his 5 month run, was that he was confident in himself.

He backed himself to make saves, come for crosses, punch the ball away, try and command his area. He had his own confidence in himself.

I never got that feeling with Mignolet ever. He seemed to feel sorry for himself a lot.

FitzShane wrote: »
    One thing that I do like about Karius, and I think he showed it a lot during his 5 month run, was that he was confident in himself.

He backed himself to make saves, come for crosses, punch the ball away, try and command his area. He had his own confidence in himself.

I never got that feeling with Mignolet ever. He seemed to feel sorry for himself a lot.
    Counts for nothing, in the biggest game of most players life time he literally threw away two goals ,
    The first one you wouldn't see at any level , Migs will never ever make a blunder like that for the rest of his days ,

Counts for nothing, in the biggest game of most players life time he literally threw away two goals ,
    The first one you wouldn't see at any level , Migs will never ever make a blunder like that for the rest of his days ,

The argument there is that Karius was concussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

That's true, but the issue isn't really that he was concussed. The issue is that I didn't hear anyone, even on TV etc., say 'That was unexpected, there must be someone wrong with him'. Not even Klopp said that. It felt like no-one was really surprised by those two mistakes made by him, no-one was looking for an external reason why it happened. And that just shows his standing as a Keeper, he's expected to make mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Honestly since I've been a fan there's only been a few years where we had a good keeper. Through the James playing too much playstation all the way up to Karius now, Reina was the only one who put in 3-4 years of good/great goalkeeping.

Same lad out a kick out out for a corner early this season ,Was he concussed then ?

Same lad out a kick out out for a corner early this season ,Was he concussed then ?

No, probably not.

Look, Karius has made his mistakes but that's what happens when a club buys a player early in his career. He cost £5m too btw. We are looking to replace him with someone who could cost upwards of 40 or £50m - some perspective is required.

He's not infallible and, as we've seen at the world cup, every keeper makes mistakes.

Has he shown some improvement? I believe so. Do we need an upgrade? Probably. But whoever it is, it won't be cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gbear wrote: »

Here are 2. There are other mistakes in games we won so he got away with it. There probably would be more had he not been dropped for mignolet which sums up his time at the club.

He would be nowhere near the starting XI of any big side now (bar maybe a Wenger managed Arsenal). We should sign another goalkeeper; he's clearly not good enough from when he was first dropped (for being thrown in too quick) to being reduced to a punchline in the game vs Real Madrid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement