Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah people react differently. I remember Maradona on the news shooting at people who had gathered at his gate. It was the media he was firing at but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I read it at the time. Can't find it in an article now though. Lots of mentions of his old release clause and that this safeguards against that, but nothing specifically to say there is not release clause now.

Yeah, my recollection of coverage was that nothing was said about the presence or absence of such a clause in the new contract. It felt like it was being left to folks to draw their own conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Seemingly LFC had a scout at the Shamrock Rovers game on Friday looking at their 16 year old Keeper, I kid you not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

not yet wrote: »
    Seemingly LFC had a scout at the Shamrock Rovers game on Friday looking at their 16 year old Keeper, I kid you not..

That is not strange.

Do you think they're thinking of him as a first choice for next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-send-their-goalkeeping-coach-to-watch-young-shamrock-rovers-netminder-37068382.html
    Jurgen Klopp may turn to an Irish teen to help ease his long-term goalkeeper problems after sending John Achterberg to watch Gavin Bazunu in action for Shamrock Rovers.

Klopp’s goalkeeping coach was at Tallaght Stadium on Friday to watch the 16-year-old keep his third clean sheet on the spin in the 2-0 win over Derry City.

Was actually Achterberg we sent. Tbf, the club has a massive scouting network, it'd be no surprise that they occasionally end up in Ireland.

There's also a young lad from Cork in one of the underage teams - Caoimhin Kelleher - who has been namechecked by Klopp at times too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Gbear wrote: »
    Are Spanish players bad? Koke, Silva, Busquets, Isco, Iniesta, etc...

Multi-league and champions league winning players from back to front. Clearly the quality of the individuals isn't the problem and you can hardly accuse such serial winners of lacking bottle.

Isco would be phenomenal. He wouldn't have the pace but he's an incredible footballer. He'd walk into our team. It's a bit of a pity they've just changed manager because there's surely someone great in there who'll not be seeing games but they probably won't know themselves until halfway through the season.

For sure tactics had a part to play ( why I said it might not be his fault ) but for example when Iniesta came on he started moving play forward and took the initiative to take risks.

I felt Isco was particularly cowardly yesterday and did not show the courage to take a risk and try and create something. He is now 26 years of age and should have the mentality to take responsibility to try and create something. Certainly Klopp might fix that with him , but the player who played yesterday I want nowhere near our shirt.

murpho999 wrote: »
    That is not strange.

Do you think they're thinking of him as a first choice for next season?

Jesus no, But at 16 if he developed he could be a long term prospect, The lads Nigerian and enormous for a 16 year old with great reflexes and a good football brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool have signed 20 year old Isaac Christie-Davies from Chelsea.

Expect price to be sorted next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rob316 wrote: »
    Really hope now that Denmark are out Schmeichel is sounded out. Superb again yesterday.

Admittedly I didn't see the whole game but I wasn't overly impressed. Punched one under no pressure when could have caught it.
    One or two saves back out into players when should have been pushed wide.
    Not sure if he'd be a massive increase over Karius.
    What's he like at the Foxes?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Never heard of him. Probably another player who won't play any sort of proper role for us. Obviously not every signing will be a superstar, but still, there should be a bit of a middle ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What's going on at Chelsea that their academy 'stars' are leaving and joining Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

murpho999 wrote: »
    What's going on at Chelsea that their academy 'stars' are leaving and joining Liverpool?
    Figure they want to play in England instead of having to learn Dutch for a few years.

Liverpool can offer league cup games as a chance to impress and stake a claim, you're not even getting that at Chelsea

Sky understands Bogdan has joined Hibs on a season long loan.

Can't believe he is still a Liverpool player.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11423773/liverpool-goalkeeper-adam-bogdan-to-join-hibernian-on-loan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-send-their-goalkeeping-coach-to-watch-young-shamrock-rovers-netminder-37068382.html

Was actually Achterberg we sent. Tbf, the club has a massive scouting network, it'd be no surprise that they occasionally end up in Ireland.

There's also a young lad from Cork in one of the underage teams - Caoimhin Kelleher - who has been namechecked by Klopp at times too.

Would love to had heard Klopp trying to pronounce that! Lived in Germany for years and had a mate from the Dingle Gaeltacht called Caoimhin and he gave up after a while and just told people to call him Kev.

So I guess the days of English clubs having full time Irish scouts are probably gone now... big compliment if Achterberg was sent over, but won't help much for now. Will be interesting to see what happens with Karius in the pre-season games.

Also chuffed for the Salah news, says a lot about his commitment. Question though - do folks think that the club's apparent policy of not allowing release clauses (which I'm 100% for) might put off rising talent that think they could really shine under Klopp and then cash-in with PSG or in Spain but won't be able to walk for a better offer if they can't be bought out? I would say fcuk 'em in that case, but could it hamper some signings? Just a thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Salah signing is great, of course Coutinho signed his contract too. It means little unfortunately, means he has all this extra money every week and he could still leave in Jan.
    Win win for player, one can only assume though that there is no buy out clause, that at least means we can get 150m plus ''IF'' he's not a one season wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Would love to had heard Klopp trying to pronounce that! Lived in Germany for years and had a mate from the Dingle Gaeltacht called Caoimhin and he gave up after a while and just told people to call him Kev.

So I guess the days of English clubs having full time Irish scouts are probably gone now... big compliment if Achterberg was sent over, but won't help much for now. Will be interesting to see what happens with Karius in the pre-season games.

Also chuffed for the Salah news, says a lot about his commitment. Question though - do folks think that the club's apparent policy of not allowing release clauses (which I'm 100% for) might put off rising talent that think they could really shine under Klopp and then cash-in with PSG or in Spain but won't be able to walk for a better offer if they can't be bought out? I would say fcuk 'em in that case, but could it hamper some signings? Just a thought...

Those that it would hamper probably aren't worth the trouble anyway, they would need to have mega-greedy / speculative agents working for them if they advise their player to not sign with LFC & Klopp because of the absence of a buy-out clause. So yes it could hamper some signings, but the club are probably better off as a result.

If anything, this policy lends more status to the club as a final destination than a stepping stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Salah signing a contract only means he'll get paid his worth going forward. Winning trophies is what will keep him here.

garra wrote: »
    Those that it would hamper probably aren't worth the trouble anyway, they would need to have mega-greedy / speculative agents working for them if they advise their player to not sign with LFC & Klopp because of the absence of a buy-out clause. So yes it could hamper some signings, but the club are probably better off as a result.

If anything, this policy lends more status to the club as a final destination than a stepping stone.

Yeah, agreed, as I said, fcuk 'em if that's what they want. The point about being a final destination club is a key one that a lot of us and pundits have made recently and it does feel, for the first time in a long time, that we have a realistic potential of achieving that status without having Sheik/Oligarch money to fund silly wages.

I think part of that too, without wanting to make a petty point, is the siging of African players that don't have the same idolised view of Barca and Real that South American players do. And of course the big trump card right now is Klopp. The way the Nabby and Fabinho transfers were dealt with were great, and the Fekir deal could have been too if it were not for the physical - can't wait to see how the remainder of the transfer window is managed and what that might indicate in terms of making it as a destination club...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

https://mobile.twitter.com/LFC/status/1013754588636250112

The man is a class act on and off the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Be as important as mo,get paid like mo, great incentive to push hard for a player,good for player's outside to see we reward them too,for future transfers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Poor from Allison again on the cross.
    Really hope we don't spend 70 million on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Poor from Allison again on the cross.
    Really hope we don't spend 70 million on him.

Talks of Chelsea going for him or Kasper and Courtious going to Atletico.

Oblak to us then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Buy Ochoha or however it's spelt.

Ah here! would someone please give that Neymar fella a proper slap, or an Oscar, and tell him that kinda playacting has no place in footie. Enough already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

90 seconds is all it takes for him.

Fun Bobby :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bobby is some man.

Sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Bobby for top scorer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Neymar is a pity, his ego is off the scale and I'm guessing it needs to be caressed and stroked gently by all around him.
    He layed a good ball off for Bobby, who tucked it away and more players ran to the lad who assists than the guy who tucked it away.
    Jesus has been awful too, can't see how he's in ahead of Bobby, and that's not just cos I'm a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

.red. wrote: »
    Neymar is a pity, his ego is off the scale and I'm guessing it needs to be caressed and stroked gently by all around him.
    He layed a good ball off for Bobby, who tucked it away and more players ran to the lad who assists than the guy who tucked it away.
    Jesus has been awful too, can't see how he's in ahead of Bobby, and that's not just cos I'm a Liverpool fan.

Looked more like Neymar shot and the keeper got a toe to it and it went to Bobby as opposed to Neymar being unselfish.

PES 2019 have added Fun Bobby's No Look Pass (TM) to the game.

https://twitter.com/officialpes/status/1010568165598941184

Ste- wrote: »
    Looked more like Neymar shot and the keeper got a toe to it and it went to Bobby as opposed to Neymar being unselfish.

Either way, it was like the lads had to congratulate that idiot before Fun Bobby.
    Id say he's very hard work to be around all the time.
    Could you imagine Roy Keane or Viera putting g up with him every day at training?

Have no idea why Jesus is still in the starting XI ahead of Fun Bobby , Jesus is a cracking player but its just not working for him out there , another bad day , every time Fun bobby comes on Brazil look twice as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Won’t read a better tweet than this all week. :)

https://twitter.com/liverpoollive2/status/1013825933839650816?s=21

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Won’t read a better tweet than this all week. :)

https://twitter.com/liverpoollive2/status/1013825933839650816?s=21

Not to be a doom merchant but that just means their contracted for a long time.
    Hopefully they all sign another one in a year or 2 tho after some success

.red. wrote: »
    Not to be a doom merchant but that just means their contracted for a long time.
    Hopefully they all sign another one in a year or 2 tho after some success
    Sorry .red. but you are being a doom merchant - that's easily the best tweet I'll read all week, and it's only Monday.

So who are we buying from Southampton this window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Fraiser foster on deadline day

Yoshida !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The scouts surely? Cut out the middleman.

Yoshida !

Are they petrol or diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://twitter.com/MattOrdish/status/1013883381850038278?s=19

Milner is a machine :pac: some of the comments are funny as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

In other news Arsenal signed Papastathopoulos from Dortmund, weren't we looking at him a while ago?

Have to say Arsenal are doing a fair bit of tasty business very quietly.

I saw some general twitter stuff last night saying that we are in for Donnarumma as Milan have signed Pepe Reina. Probably 2+2 = 29 type stuff as usual though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If it's being reported via Twitter and it's good news I accept it as fact.

Twitter (in general) is a pretty reliable medium alright. I deliberately didn't provide links due to the solid nature of everything posted on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

PES 2019 have added Fun Bobby's No Look Pass (TM) to the game.

https://twitter.com/officialpes/status/1010568165598941184

Yeah they can fock right off with all that window dressing.
    Fun Bobby won't be fouled by the computer so you'll never get a chance at pens and free kicks, for the 15th year in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

5starpool wrote:
    Twitter (in general) is a pretty reliable medium alright. I deliberately didn't provide links due to the solid nature of everything posted on twitter.

To be fair thats where we found out about fabinho am hour before he signed

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair thats where we found out about fabinho am hour before he signed

A stopped clock ......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement