Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

https://twitter.com/_RoarOfTheKop_/status/1014584070884528128?s=19

Rare enough to get footage of this cracker v United

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

robwen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/_RoarOfTheKop_/status/1014584070884528128?s=19

Rare enough to get footage of this cracker v United

Ya, referred to as the lost goal for years I think. This clip only surfaced in recent years. Loved watching molby in his pomp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

ricero wrote: »
    Rumours Shaqiri is to be announced in the next few days.

Delighted if true i think he will be shrewd bit of buisness.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Molby was my favourite player as a kid. Unbelievable passer of the ball . Very similar player to Alonso in ways.

Loved Molby.

Also love the fact that he developed a scouse accent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Molby was such a graceful footballer for a big man I always remember that hat trick of penalties he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool looking to snap up Ki-Jana Hoever, Ajax 16 year old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Molby was a class act, loved how he could effortlessly spray the ball around and he had a thunderbolt of a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Loved Molby.

Also love the fact that he developed a scouse accent!

I've probably posted this before, but whenever Molby's mentioned, I recall the cover of a long lost Liverpool fanzine just around the time that Carlsberg were announced as our shirt sponsors. Bit of controversy around it initially, I think.

Anyway, the cover featured a picture of Molby with a speech bubble saying: "I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've had Carlsberg down the front of my shirt for years."

Bloody legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Met Jan Molby in Cork years back, and he was an absolute gent.

It was the time when Hodgson had just been fired and he was excited about the prospect of seeing Kenny back. Chatted to him about the Xabi Alonso interview he had done the year before, how they were similar as players, and about the behind the scenes with him and Benitez.

Top man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

And he was a bloody great penalty taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

gafferino wrote: »
    Source?

The internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

mosstin wrote: »
    And he was a bloody great penalty taker.

second only to Le Tissier according to wiki. Was one of my favourite players unlucky with injury as he found it difficult to get back into the team when he came back,

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I met the Liverpool squad many years ago, I was a youngfella and in Liverpool and just went to Anfield to see the stadium.
    As I was having a gawk, the doors opened and the squad started to come out, Molby came straight over to me to say hello and asked if I wanted an autograph.

I managed to meet the team and get pics with them all but Molby stands out as he approached me.

They then all jumped on the coach and headed off to play Wimbledon away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MD1990 wrote: »
    Karius is a decent goalkeeper.
    It is all mental with Karius.

He looks very nervous . Bale's shot in the CL final for the 3rd goal would not have happened if he didn't make the first error for example.
    I think a loan move would be good for him but that won't happen as there isn't many keepers out there & some are way overpriced like Alisson.

Oblak is probably not realistic as Atletico have the CL final in their home stadium next season & have made some good signings.
    Karius is NOT a decent keeper , He makes mistake Sunday league keeper would rarely make,
    It is all mental but unfortunately that's the biggest part of goalkeeping , So he's rubbish at the most important part ,
    Its ok to admit he has been a terrible signing and solved nothing ,

MD1990 wrote: »
    Karius is a decent goalkeeper.
    It is all mental with Karius.

He looks very nervous . Bale's shot in the CL final for the 3rd goal would not have happened if he didn't make the first error for example.
    I think a loan move would be good for him but that won't happen as there isn't many keepers out there & some are way overpriced like Alisson.

Oblak is probably not realistic as Atletico have the CL final in their home stadium next season & have made some good signings.
    Karius is NOT a decent keeper , He makes mistake Sunday league keeper would rarely make,
    It is all mental but unfortunately that's the biggest part of goalkeeping , So he's rubbish at the most important part ,
    Its ok to admit he has been a terrible signing and solved nothing ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its mental and he's proved to be a mental weakling.

Where is the ruthlessness? Everyone remembers Massimo Taibi, the guy made a couple of errors and was never heard from again at United. Karius mistakes were in a CL final, its even more high profile and embarassing.

We are giving up before the season begins, if he is number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

DDG with a howler in the WC, and made a couple last season.
    Lloris made more errors resulting in a goal conceded than any other GK in the league.
    Courtois has had a couple of bad seasons recently.
    Cech gone to the dogs and replaced.
    Ederson shown he is prone to errors too last season.

For me, it's all down to how Karius bounces back. Will this spur him on to be better, or will he wallow in his own pain? He shown last season that he is actually a decent keeper. Confident in his own abilities and is able to command his area.

I have a lot of sympathy for Karius and am inclined to give him a chance. I watched the CL goals (first time seeing the Bale one) again last night and I would urge any of you still supporting him to do so.

Karius out!

FitzShane wrote: »

Lloris made more errors resulting in a goal conceded than any other GK in the league.

For me, it's all down to how Karius bounces back. Will this spur him on to be better, or will he wallow in his own pain? He shown last season that he is actually a decent keeper. Confident in his own abilities and is able to command his area.
    All the keepers you mentioned are world class who made a mistake, Karius is bobbins
    How do people not see the difference or is it just people refusing to admit a Liverpool players is crap.
    If Karius was at another top 6 team and not replaced we would all be laughing ,

• Advertisement

Lovren isn't good enough

Henderson isn't good enough.

Two more positions that need to be replaced with better players

ah here Henderson is England's most successful player ever, confirmed on SSN this morning - 29 game unbeaten run. England's talisman is easily good enough for our bench.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If we could get an excellent keeper in then I'd be happy to do so. If we are talking about the likes of Butland coming in, there's no point.
    Karius will suffice until we can get a brilliant keeper in.
    I don't see the point in getting a stop gap shot stopper in until we get what we need.

Lovren is grand beside VVD.
    Henderson is already facing competition with our signings so far.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Everybody too shell shocked by the cringeworthy nature of Karius' latest Instagram video to be able to discuss it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

spockety wrote: »
    Everybody too shell shocked by the cringeworthy nature of Karius' latest Instagram video to be able to discuss it?
    I hope he didn't get concussed diving into that pool!

Neymar may now have the 2nd biggest ego in football!

Don't see the problem with Henderson or Lovren,
    They would both walk into the any squad any the Prem including City and be great options ,
    They would strengthen any of the top 6 squads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

There’s making a howler in game , and there’s making 3 in the biggest game of the year . Thing is even if he stays he’ Only be an ok kepper, not a great one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

spockety wrote: »

I saw it yesterday, talk about cringe, how much does he pay his photographer?

Does he travel the world with him...

It was like GTA V

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just see here in work Mourinho has entered the fray for Shaqiri, probably bull paper talk, just thought I'd mention it.....

I'd say he wants Liverpool though if I was a guessing man I'd say he would want to work with Klopp over José...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Fieldog wrote: »
    Just see here in work Mourinho has entered the fray for Shaqiri, probably bull paper talk, just thought I'd mention it.....

I'd say he wants Liverpool though if I was a guessing man I'd say he would want to work with Klopp over José...

Depends whether he fancies being converted to to a RB or not ;)

Lovern is not good enough for our bench let alone our first 11.

Some fierce bad judges in here. He’s a liability. Always will be. Can’t be trusted.

Doesn’t have the concentration levels or mental strength to be good enough. Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It was a CL final, not 1 but 2 huge blunders. There is no coming back from it.

Klopp's biggest strength is his biggest weakness.

Fieldog wrote: »

I'd say he wants Liverpool though if I was a guessing man I'd say he would want to work with Klopp over Jos.

Seems to be rumours section type talk. If we end of getting him, fine, probably a better option than we have in reserve currently. If we don't it likely won't be the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Lovern is not good enough for our bench let alone our first 11.

Some fierce bad judges in here. He’s a liability. Always will be. Can’t be trusted.

Doesn’t have the concentration levels or mental strength to be good enough. Not even close.

Lovren is fine, he's not the dominant partner in the centre-half relationship and when he has his colossus beside him he actually defends very well.
    I trust him, I think Klopp trusts him. Kloppp used to ask him to not drop off the centre forward which sometimes leaves him exposed but it's what Klopp wanted so he put up with the odd blunder.
    Of all the players to pick out for "not even close to good enough" type comments, Lovren is way down the list.
    Obviously he loves a media appearance and that leaves egg on his puss too often, but I reckon he could mature a bit this season. Hope he wins the WC and comes back like a conquering warrior for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It's extremely hard and expensive to buy a better defender than Lovren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

The probs with Deggsy is trust. Can we trust him? will he always he destined to brainfart at some stage in ridiculous fashion?

He seems a likeable guy and popular in the dressing room but you will always have the inkling in the back of your mind he is one random step away from calamity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

rob316 wrote:
    It was a CL final, not 1 but 2 huge blunders. There is no coming back from it.

Unless we get world class then we will have to put up with him.

No point in replacing a decent keeper with another decent keeper. Not to mention the fact that all the non upgrade names that have been mentioned would cost 30 plus million at least. Keep the 30 plus million and add it to the budget next season for a world class keeper. The only point in replacing him would be to massively upgrade the position.

Change for change sake is a panic purchase.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    The probs with Deggsy is trust. Can we trust him? will he always he destined to brainfart at some stage in ridiculous fashion?

He seems a likeable guy and popular in the dressing room but you will always have the inkling in the back of your mind he is one random step away from calamity

I think his main problem, is not that he makes mistakes, but that the mistakes he makes are often brainless stupid ones that look really bad. Most defenders make mistakes, lots of them more often than Lovren, but probably not as much of the "wtf was he thinking?" type rather than the "he should have done better there probably" type.

I'm ok with us having out current CB's as our options next season, although I hope van Dijk doesn't get injured too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hopefully Instagram come in with a big bid for Karius.

• Advertisement

For some reason I want to go to LA and eat a cornetto.

For some reason I want to go to LA and eat a cornetto.

May as well make the most of it and have a King Cornetto.

I though watching the video that it was going to advertise something. There is a logo on the hat which looks like a K, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

5starpool wrote: »
    I think his main problem, is not that he makes mistakes, but that the mistakes he makes are often brainless stupid ones that look really bad. Most defenders make mistakes, lots of them more often than Lovren, but probably not as much of the "wtf was he thinking?" type rather than the "he should have done better there probably" type.

I'm ok with us having out current CB's as our options next season, although I hope van Dijk doesn't get injured too often.

Agreed - anyone remember VVD's brainfart when he didn't play to the whistle 'cos he thought Sterling had fouled him and City then scored in the opening minute in the CL match at the Ethiad - can you imagine if Lovren had done that, we'd never hear the end of it. There's definitely something about his personality that makes it easy to focus on his fcuk ups, but I just don't think he's as bad as people make out. Someone here recently did a great post along the lines of VVD is the alpha and Lovren takes his direction from him and that's the partnership and set-up that suits Lovren's game. He is not a bad option for us and he's had some great games and 8 league clean sheets since VVD came in. There's no shame in saying he's better since VVD - that's a good thing. And he's getting some great experience in the WC - beat Russia, which reason would say they will, and he's got 2 more high profile, high pressure games at the highest level - that's gonna do him good. If we have the cash and the luck to bag a big name that works well with that VVD alpha dynamic then great, but give Lovren his due - he can be sometimes a brainfarter, but he's not alone in that, and he's mostly a consistent and committed worker that deserves to be where he is...

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    May as well make the most of it and have a King Cornetto.

I though watching the video that it was going to advertise something. There is a logo on the hat which looks like a K, but that's it.

I thought it was a sponsorship deal type thing as well.

I thought it was a sponsorship deal type thing as well.

Maybe it's the first in a series that's building up to something :P

I heard Ojo saying that he's in the best shape of his life and raring to get going for us. I know that it's something all the youngsters should be saying, but he had a rough year with injuries so he might have a bigger point to prove.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Maybe it's the first in a series that's building up to something :P

I heard Ojo saying that he's in the best shape of his life and raring to get going for us. I know that it's something all the youngsters should be saying, but he had a rough year with injuries so he might have a bigger point to prove.

Maybe he is following Sturridge by branding his own baseball hat line K for Karuis.

Forget 6 packs Ojo was showing off a 9 pack on social media.

Remember this guy started his clothing line

1416143019604_wps_13_PREVIEW_babel_jpg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool not letting Wilson go on loan to Celtic or Rangers, I see Origi is bigging himself up as a more mature person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Lovern is just about acceptable but i think he's should be the third choice CB. It's not just the obvious brain-farts, they're easy to identify. It's his positional sense that has often been naive too. If our best CB is injured (VVD) then we should feel reasonably confident with the back up pairing. Lovern and any of the others and there's a palpable sense of uncertainty.

That said, he has improved from a low base and has possibly done enough (learned enough, maybe?) while playing with VVD to warrant being 1st choice CB for a while to see how he progresses. Just I'm skeptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool not letting Wilson go on loan to Celtic or Rangers, I see Origi is bigging himself up as a more mature person.

Not against Origi staying as long as he realises he'll be coming off the bench a lot. He was useful enough in scoring occasionally off the bench. Might be more inclined to let Solanke get a season away on loan. Especially as I imagine part of the reason Brewster signed for 5 years is that he was given assurances that he would get at least a little game time next season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement