Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The Echo's predicted starting XI for the Chester game on Saturday

I might have this on alongside the England game if this is the actual team

owqidp60a4811.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Poor old Chester is all I can say, usually the first home friendly is a pick and mix of U18s, U23s and struggling bench to be loaned options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Poor old Chester is all I can say, usually the first home friendly is a pick and mix of U18s, U23s and struggling bench to be loaned options.

Healthy gate receipts should keep them happy. Just have a niggle when playing lower league teams that they might be a bit kick-happy in 50/50's and someone picks up a needless injury. Hopefully someone has a word with them...

To be fair starting Karius will give them some real hope :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Sofa Spud wrote:
    Healthy gate receipts should keep them happy. Just have a niggle when playing lower league teams that they might be a bit kick-happy in 50/50's and someone picks up a needless injury. Hopefully someone has a word with them...

I think i read earlier in the season that this game was to help out their financial side of things. So it was always going to be a atrongish side. So id like to think it will be played in a friendly mindset all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Dying to see how Harry Wilson looks surrounded by good players if that lineup is real. I’d love to see him make a breakthrough into our first team squad this summer.

To be fair starting Karius will give them some real hope

Remember we used to say the same about Lucas. Even gerrard and carra had a few moaners at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Karius making mistakes in games i can put up with until a real upgrade is found. Karius making videos like that i cannot put up with.

Butland in!!!

Can’t understand anyone wanting Karius dropped but a keeper like Butland brought in. 1 step forward, 2 steps back stuff tbh.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Dying to see how Harry Wilson looks surrounded by good players if that lineup is real. I’d love to see him make a breakthrough into our first team squad this summer.

Wilson is my latest doomed pet project youth player! West Brom have been linked with him today, better than Scotland but only just! Much sooner he did enough this summer to stay as a squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Butland is exactly the type of keeper we don't need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Can’t understand anyone wanting Karius dropped but a keeper like Butland brought in. 1 step forward, 2 steps back stuff tbh.

Both are rubbish but in no way is karius an upgrade on Butland. At least Butland has proven himself over a full season. Karius didn't even get that long to demonstrate how bad he is.

Both are rubbish but in no way is karius an upgrade on Butland. At least Butland has proven himself over a full season. Karius didn't even get that long to demonstrate how bad he is.

Karius is a better keeper than Butland, without a doubt. A couple of high profile errors (likely the result of concussion) is not going to change my mind, I’ve seen enough of Butland last season to believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Karius is a better keeper than Butland, without a doubt. A couple of high profile errors (likely the result of concussion) is not going to change my mind, I’ve seen enough of Butland last season to believe that.

Karius has made more than 2 high profile errors and he wasn't "concussed" for all of them. He has stopped very few shots. His concentration is woeful and his positional sense is worse. The only thing he is better than Butland at is playing with his hair. Put Butland in our team with VVD in front of him and we'd have done as well if not better. Put Karius in the Stoke team and they'd have been relegated in December. He has no presence in the box, calls nothing and hopes that nothing comes at him.

Karius has made more than 2 high profile errors and he wasn't "concussed" for all of them. He has stopped very few shots. His concentration is woeful and his positional sense is worse. The only thing he is better than Butland at is playing with his hair. Put Butland in our team with VVD in front of him and we'd have done as well if not better. Put Karius in the Stoke team and they'd have been relegated in December. He has no presence in the box, calls nothing and hopes that nothing comes at him.

Don’t agree with much of that, have you seen Butland since he came back from his lengthy ankle injury? For whatever reason he hasn’t been nearly as convincing or confident in goals since then. He looked a great keeper just before it happened, bigger clubs than us were interested in him AFAIK. He’s made some woeful errors since, as many as Karius if not more, but you seem to be ignoring that in favour of criticising the ones our keeper has made.

Ever keeper makes errors, even top class ones like De Gea and Neuer. The reality is that outside of shotstopping, Karius suits our style of play well because he’s confident with the ball at his feet and his distribution and confidence visibly improved as he played more games for us.

The Champions League final was a major setback but he should absolutely be given the chance to bounce back from it, unless a top class keeper becomes available. And Butland is miles off top class. A sideways step at best.

Also, the part in bold, what were you thinking? You can’t say any of that with even a modicum of certainty, it’s wild speculation and “what ifs?”. You rate Butland higher than Karius, fair enough (though I disagree wholeheartedly with that opinion), but you can’t be saying stuff like that without proof of how he definitely would’ve done better. It’s two different keepers with two different teams in front of them. One faces more shots than the other, one faces different types of shots as the other, ones plays with the ball to feet more than the other, and all of that comes down to the system used for the 10 players in front of them. The only way to know for sure how ourselves and Stoke would’ve done if we swapped keepers is if it actually happened.

Apart from all that, you seem to only remember the bad times with Karius. Much like Dejan Lovren, a lot of fans dwell on the mistakes and forget what a talented defender he actually is. He’s made some top class saves which have been forgotten by many, as well as how quickly and accurately he gets the ball up to our forwards for counter attacks, something that is massively taken for granted (Mignolet for example took an age to get the ball out of his hands and often rolled it to a fullback once the opposition had reset, killing our counter-attacking opportunities before they ever got started).

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to sign a better goalkeeper who can play the way Klopp wants at a higher level than Karius, but those players are like gold dust. A lot of people call for Oblak, he’s a terrific shot stopper but can’t play out of defence very well, which our style demands. Alisson appears to tick all the boxes but we don’t seem to be in the running for him anymore. The silver bullet for us would be Manuel Neuer based on his skill set as a keeper, but that’s never going to happen. I can’t think of anyone else off the top of my head who would go a long way towards solving our problems in goal. Certainly not Jack Butland.

• Advertisement

Butland has proven nothing more than Migs had before he joined us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is the Dortmund keeper any good. Seems to be an ever-present in goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Is the Dortmund keeper any good. Seems to be an ever-present in goal.
    Welcome back Toby :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

eyerer wrote: »
    Welcome back Toby :pac:

Stand back. Stand the **** back. That isn't Toby. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Liverpool interested in Dyabla is the latest crazy rumour.
    Would be a great signing though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sign Dybala and keep Karius as the number 1 would everyone be happy with that?

I think I would.

Sign Dybala and keep Karius as the number 1 would everyone be happy with that?

I think I would.

I’d nearly play with no keeper if we could sign Dybala. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Apparently our move for Dyabala has been hindered by the fact that Utd are trying to sign Ronaldo...

Oh silly season how I've missed you

Stupid rumour obviously, I doubt Dyabala would join as a bench option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

If the logic is that Juve will sell Dybala to fund buying Ronaldo then there really is no logic to that - sell a 24yr old rising, or risen, star for a 33yr old that has probably peaked and if not, maybe has 2 more outstanding seasons left in them!?! If it's the case that Dybala wants away then cashing in and spending less on Ronaldo probably does make sense, but how much would we have to fork out for Dybala with 4 yrs left on his contract? Silly season indeed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So Klopp wants a new GK, but we aren't getting one.....

I suppose it's not really black and white, perhaps there is a small shortlist of GKs Klopp would consider an upgrade on Karius and their availability might be an issue.

Klopp clearly reckons Karius is decent, he was bought as our #1, I doubt he'd go from hero to zero too quickly in Klopp's thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FitzShane wrote: »
    So Klopp wants a new GK, but we aren't getting one.....

He wanted a new CB last summer and we didn't get one. He waited and eventually got the one he wanted. Could be a similar situation with the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I reckon that Karius will be our No. 1 at the start of the season, unless Klopp gets the Keeper he wants. As he's shown with other players, he won't just buy anyone, he'll only buy the exact player he wants, and if he can't get that player yet then he'll wait. So, if Klopp wants Oblak, say, and he's not available until next season, then we'll have Karius this season. The article below seems to at least lay the ground work for Karius still being No. 1 next month.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/306090-jurgen-klopp-loris-karius-concussion

But who knows really? We tend to keep our transfers cards close to our chests these days, so it's all really press speculation. We could literally announce a new Keeper tomorrow, or not sign anyone at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

“Whoever had a concussion knows there is not one way how it feels, there are different ways. He didn’t feel it obviously. He had a knock on his head and he felt that but he didn’t know he had a concussion. That’s how concussions are. The guy who has it is the last one to be aware of it probably.

“With all the intensity of the game, adrenaline and the disappointment after the game, nobody really thought about that. I needed a few days, to be honest, to accept the fact and deal with the situation [of losing the final]. It was not that easy.

“After four days I got a call from Franz Beckenbauer, our Bobby Moore, our biggest football player who is a good friend of mine. He called me and said he came from a doctor, he told me: ‘your goalkeeper had a concussion.’ I said, ‘what?’ because in the game, from my position that situation is not very good to see: ‘maybe there was contact or not.’ I told him immediately, ‘OK’. He said the doctor is the most famous doctor in Germany. I said: ‘OK, give me a few minutes, I have to fix a few things.’

“I got all the pictures from different perspectives, saw it and thought: ‘how can we all think that the boy who didn’t show any weakness in that game until then made these big mistakes in a very important game and nobody thinks it’s because of the knock he got?’ How can we think that? That was, for me, the explanation and I thought: ‘OK, come on, we need to check that.’

“I thought it was too late, you cannot check that. But now I know a concussion isn’t coming and going in a day – if you have one, you see it days later. Five days after the final, Loris had 26 of 30 markers for a concussion still. That’s clear.

“If you ask Loris, he says he didn’t think about it and didn’t use it for a second as an excuse. We don’t use it as an excuse, we use it as an explanation. That’s always important, that’s what analysis should be: you explain why things happen. So, from this point of view, from my side everything is fine. We don’t think about that anymore and we start completely new.”

" ‘how can we all think that the boy who didn’t show any weakness in that game until then made these big mistakes in a very important game and nobody thinks it’s because of the knock he got?’ "

Well Jurgen, you did drop him last season for being brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What do people expect Jurgen to say, Yes he is crap and he cost us the biggest game of the last 10 year's ,
    We have signed no keeper yet so Jurgen ain't going to say a bad word on Karius and be left with a Keeper who knows he isn't wanted,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Seen an article this morning about how Kane is playing himself into Real Madrid's plans. Let's hope Brazil persist with Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

That instagram video is why Karius will never be top keeper. Absolute cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    If the logic is that Juve will sell Dybala to fund buying Ronaldo then there really is no logic to that - sell a 24yr old rising, or risen, star for a 33yr old that has probably peaked and if not, maybe has 2 more outstanding seasons left in them!?! If it's the case that Dybala wants away then cashing in and spending less on Ronaldo probably does make sense, but how much would we have to fork out for Dybala with 4 yrs left on his contract? Silly season indeed...

If anything, you'd imagine that Higuain would be on the chopping block. Ronaldo will play as a centre forward, not a winger, and Higuain has been linked away this summer already.

He's also 30 so would have less longevity than Dybala or anyone else in that attack.
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    That instagram video is why Karius will never be top keeper. Absolute cringe.

This is something I just can't buy into. I don't particularly like Karius, I'm frustrated with his performances and the fact that it looks like he's going to be our number 1 again next season but what the f*ck does instagram have to with anything?

It's like the media narrative about Paul Pogba's hair or Jess Lingard's dancing - what the hell does it have to do with anything? Do people think that footballers weren't always doing stuff like this? Just now we get a proper insight into their personalities through their social media accounts.

Is karius good enough? I don't think so. Is it because he puts silly things on the Internet? Of course not.

The instagram video shows the type of character he is. One who's all about the product. About himself. I see he's got his "1K" thing going on with the baseball cap now as well. Does he want to be a model or does he want to be a top class keeper? slow motion of him pouring water over his face, showing off the tats, LA lifestyle, here I am...look at me narcissism !!! F8ck off and get back to doing it on the pitch mate. And if you do it there, you can make all the self promotion twaddle you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

jasonb wrote: »
    I reckon that Karius will be our No. 1 at the start of the season, unless Klopp gets the Keeper he wants. As he's shown with other players, he won't just buy anyone, he'll only buy the exact player he wants, and if he can't get that player yet then he'll wait. So, if Klopp wants Oblak, say, and he's not available until next season, then we'll have Karius this season. The article below seems to at least lay the ground work for Karius still being No. 1 next month.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/306090-jurgen-klopp-loris-karius-concussion

But who knows really? We tend to keep our transfers cards close to our chests these days, so it's all really press speculation. We could literally announce a new Keeper tomorrow, or not sign anyone at all...

yeah i think this is a sign that Klopp is putting his faith in Karius (at least until Xmas)....i just hope Karius tries a bit harder than before to concentrate.

Anyways...I hear scott carson might be available again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Higuaín will go to Chelsea,
    No hope we will get  Dybala

• Advertisement

The instagram video shows the type of character he is. One who's all about the product. About himself. I see he's got his "1K" thing going on with the baseball cap now as well. Does he want to be a model or does he want to be a top class keeper? slow motion of him pouring water over his face, showing off the tats, LA lifestyle, here I am...look at me narcissism !!! F8ck off and get back to doing it on the pitch mate. And if you do it there, you can make all the self promotion twaddle you want.

Standard enough really. If it doesn't bother Klopp and LFC it doesn't really bother me. The Insta stuff that is.

The only player who should be allowed on social media is James Milner,

The Pogba type stuff is the work of an aggrandising prima donna with one eye on the bank account.

Now, is there any chance of a transfer today? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lets be really clear on something here lads - instagram content may be vain, it may be self promoting and not something I'm particularly interested in seeing - but it tells you sweet fúck all about somebodys character.

If the modern day footballer is a gobshíte on social media, then the modern fan is worse for analyzing it and formulating conclusions on that persons character.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MD1990 wrote: »

Hopefully our awful record in early kick off games last year won't be repeated this season. Perhaps it was all coincidence, but I think we only won 1 of 9 PL games that kicked off before 2pm last season. Something mad like that anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Possibly coincidence - but yeah, definitely needs to improve.

Watford A Draw
    City A Loss
    United H Draw
    Everton H Draw
    United A Lose
    Palace A Win
    W Brom A Draw
    Stoke H Draw

• Advertisement

And the post Europe games. And January.

Any others? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

GBX wrote: »
    Possibly coincidence - but yeah, definitely needs to improve.

Watford A Draw
    City A Loss
    United H Draw
    Everton H Draw
    United A Lose
    Palace A Win
    W Brom A Draw
    Stoke H Draw

Wow, that's poor form. Maybe we could try training an hour earlier in the lead up to early KOs

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I'm heading over for the City game the first weekend in October. Any idea when the TV schedule for those games will be done?
    I thought it would be today but, of course, it went right up as far as the weekend before :D

D'Agger wrote: »
    Lets be really clear on something here lads - instagram content may be vain, it may be self promoting and not something I'm particularly interested in seeing - but it tells you sweet fúck all about somebodys character.

If the modern day footballer is a gobshíte on social media, then the modern fan is worse for analyzing it and formulating conclusions on that persons character.

If instagram content is vain and narcissistic and self promoting then those are the exact things that tell you about the person using it. Thats the nature of the beast. Its the social media world we live in, so of course i can draw conclusions about someones character from what he posts on instagram. Karius is vain and narcisstic. He is also a sh*t keeper.

I look at that video and think "Jesus, this guy is our number 1 for next year".
    Its a sad state of affairs.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Harambe wrote: »
    I'm heading over for the City game the first weekend in October. Any idea when the TV schedule for those games will be done?
    I thought it would be today but, of course, it went right up as far as the weekend before :D

Another month approximately.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107418146&postcount=2762

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement