Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Whiff of Babchenko off this whole Kerry disappearance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Whatever system it is we now have a lot better calibre player for the midfield roles.

The water carriers like Henderson will have huge parts to play during the season if they can except going back to being just squad players.

I think Gini, Milner and Ox understand that role and know if they do play well they will get game time over the season I don't know if Henderson and Lallana will. I would hope they do because they will add a lot as squad players something we have sadly lacked for a decade.

Do you think it's likely we'll start the season with the current midfield being more regular starters and then seeing the new lads being rotated in as they get used to the PL and Klopp has a better idea of how/where to use them?

So could it be more likely Gini, Milner, Hendo and hopefully a renewed Ox (back by November, no?) might not need to adapt to squad roles until later in the season and have at least a chance to fight for their roles or to be regular impact subs in the early season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Some talk in Germany that Munich are ready to listen to offers for Boateng.

I'd love to see us throw a good offer at them.

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Do you think it's likely we'll start the season with the current midfield being more regular starters and then seeing the new lads being rotated in as they get used to the PL and Klopp has a better idea of how/where to use them?

So could it be more likely Gini, Milner, Hendo and hopefully a renewed Ox (back by November, no?) might not need to adapt to squad roles until later in the season and have at least a chance to fight for their roles or to be regular impact subs in the early season?

No I think Klopp will start with Keita and Fabinho right away and if we sign Fekir he will start as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sky Sports reporting Chelsea are likely to sell Courtois and are looking at Allison as his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

They have a host of players that the supposedly made available

https://twitter.com/cfbayern/status/1002104135313915905?s=21

Someone asked why Thiago was on the list and he replied that he wants to leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Is that to offset the Hummels rumours also doing the rounds?
    I would see Boateng going first, he's there a long time, they may need freshening up. But he's not a Klopp signing, very little chance he'd improve, wrong side of 28...

Sky Sports reporting Chelsea are likely to sell Courtois and are looking at Allison as his replacement.

IIIIFFF that's true, then he has refused a new contract. Any top keeper moving might spark off a few moves...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Gbear wrote: »
    Our biggest failure this year were the number of home draws.

We had 7. Of those, 6 involved us scoring at most 1 goal.

In total, there were 12 games where we scored 1 goal or fewer.

As good an attack as we have, it's inconsistent. It didn't work in at least a third of the games we played in the league. There's clear avenues in which it can improve.

More attacking options on the field at once, better options to change a game off the bench, more goals from midfield and set pieces are all things that we need to see have an impact.

The defence gets stick, but most of the points dropped weren't much to do with them. It's pretty clear that if you're spending 60-70% of the match with the ball and you don't win, then it's your use of the ball that's the issue.

Spot on.

The casual Liverpool fan / other fans will always point to us supposedly having an amazing attack and a rubbish defence.

However, under Klopp we have consistently had issues breaking down buses. We haven't United in the league for a while because of this.

There wasn't much of an improvement last season compared to the season before. When a team sits deep and we can't use our electrifying pace we often don't have an answer. Fekir's long shot threat as well as his ability to play in tight spaces and beat a man in central areas will be vital here, so I do think Fekir plus the front 3 will be the default if we do sign him.

More consistently breaking down teams who come to spoil the game is arguably the most crucial area to improve upon to go from a CL qualification tally to a league title challenge.

Fair enough, but we lost 14pts, IIRC, from wining positions, so it's not all about the attack - main thing is we are lot more solid now and a stronger midfield should work wonders for the back four and front three, so time to focus on what's coming and put last season to rest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Sell Matip buy Boateng, let him and Lovren battle it out for the spot beside VVD, Gomez can get LC/FA Cup games to see if he can grow into a CB.

Bid for Courtois, Chelsea showed last year they'd sell to a rival. He had a few questionable moments last year but is still a very good keeper. He may not 'fit' exactly what Klopp wants from a keeper though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Morzadec wrote: »

However, under Klopp we have consistently had issues breaking down buses. We haven't United in the league for a while because of this.

When you look at what's on offer, there's basically 60 pts for free from the bottom 10. If you get even half the points from the rest, you're on 87.
    90% of those games are about turning up and crushing them with quality and depth. Every now and again you'll need to actually perform and put effort in, but even then, they'll usually turn over and show their throat once you're up by 2.

If you're not raking all that in, you're making life very difficult.

One-nilling your way through 20 games is next to impossible. Anomalies happen. Clubs like City just twat them and remove all doubt.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm pretty sure that next season we'll score 120 goals, and let in 5. It'll be a pretty sweet season.

Boateng is a proven winner that would bring huge club and International experience to a group of players sadly lacking in that department.

He would be a no brainer to sign on a 3 year contract if you could get him.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Bid for Courtois, Chelsea showed last year they'd sell to a rival. He had a few questionable moments last year but is still a very good keeper. He may not 'fit' exactly what Klopp wants from a keeper though.

A great keeper is a great keeper. He's big, agile, very experienced, dominating. We'd be foolish to not consider it, IF he's available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He will go to Spain,his kids live there,he's said as much that he wants to go there, probably back to ATHLETICO if oblak goes,or real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kerrigooney....never forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Turtyturd wrote: »

Sorry that Kerri did that, great contributor. Did it myself....the fcukers win when you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sure that's always the way with Liverpool. We sell to buy. Fabinho in, Kerri out. ****ing John Henry and his penny pinching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm gonna change my avatar to a mitsubishi sign in honor.

Netherlands down a goal to Slovakia - VVD and Gini on the bench

Sorry that Kerri did that, great contributor. Did it myself....the fcukers win when you do it.

Shame alright but I think with the direction the thread’s going we’ll lose more and more of the good ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Boateng is a proven winner that would bring huge club and International experience to a group of players sadly lacking in that department.

He would be a no brainer to sign on a 3 year contract if you could get him.
    Keeping him fit is the issue - his legs are going. For the past two seasons he has been suffering with recurring issues with his thighs/hamstrings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Shame alright but I think with the direction the thread’s going we’ll lose more and more of the good ones.

I'll never leave but I suppose, that's not what you were saying there. You said the good ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I was out watching the match on Saturday so wasn't posting on here and then once we lost, there wasn't a chance i was reading anything written on the soccer forum for the rest of that weekend. But judging by the first few pages of that Feedback thread, it looks like i missed a complete meltdown. Glad i missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A couple of rubbish Spanish sauces speculating about Dembele to Liverpool this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'll never leave but I suppose, that's not what you were saying there. You said the good ones.

tenor.gif

A couple of rubbish Spanish sauces speculating about Dembele to Liverpool this evening.

I'd take him on loan for the season.

Just to make sure the lad isn't as brittle as Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Aren't you supposed to insult everyone and start a fire before you leave? Slipping away quietly is no fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Aren't you supposed to insult everyone and start a fire before you leave? Slipping away quietly is no fun.

Once Elvis left the building as he so spectacularly did that time, there is no following that.

Thought Kerrigooney seemed a very decent chap tbh.

• Advertisement

Which Dembele :pac: and of its moussa, which Moussa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Feel like we need a to start an internet terrorist campaign started to get Kerrigoner back

https://www.change.org/start-a-petition

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Augeo wrote: »
    Dunno why folk can't just refrain from posting etc .......... the ole account closure is a tad OTT, IMO of course.

A very good poster gone without fanfare. Nothing ott about closing your account, wouldn't have been noticed only it was pointed out.

I'll miss him as it's refreshing to see posters not to have to resort to multiple emoticons to keep the passive aggressive tone.
    It would be a terrible shame if that happened and that type of behaviour contributed to good people leaving. :)

By virtue of fact it was pointed out it was noticed.

I have no idea what your passive aggressive & emoticon speel is about but lol if you think he closed the account over me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Any idea why he left?

Mightn't have liked being carded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

A rage quit, hereby known as pulling a Kerri! Happens the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Augeo wrote: »
    By virtue of fact it was pointed out it was noticed.

I have no idea what your passive aggressive & emoticon speel is about but lol if you think he closed the account over me

:)

:)

Don't bottle it all up, that never helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Probably getting a hear of myself on this one but if it was a choice between Fekir and Dembele, which one would you fancy? Dembele would plug a more pressing gap for me personally.

Of course, my mind would be blown if both were legitimate target with one not cancelling out the other. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

If Firmino has a good WC we should listen to offers. With the money we could bring in a proper goal scoring striker like Higuaín and make a real push for 4th next season. I think it will be much harder to get champions league football next year as the competition will be much stronger and a consistent goal threat would be needed. I feel like Firmino is vastly overrated and rarely changes a game for us. He was very quiet in the final when we needed someone to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Pushing for 4th, I think given the potential team we will have next season and how long Klopp has been there now, shouldn't we be going for the title?

If Firmino has a good WC we should listen to offers. With the money we could bring in a proper goal scoring striker like Higuaín and make a real push for 4th next season. I think it will be much harder to get champions league football next year as the competition will be much stronger and a consistent goal threat would be needed. I feel like Firmino is vastly overrated and rarely changes a game for us. He was very quiet in the final when we needed someone to step up.

But what you are advocating there is that Klopp changes his set up completely to play a natural striker. Firminos role in the team is not to be a proper striker but rather a link man who knits the play together between the midfield and the attacks, and also to drag the CB’s out to allow the wider players to get in behind. He’s basically a false 9. Changing that to a proper 9 will have an effect on the wider areas too.

Kolido wrote: »
    Pushing for 4th, I think given the potential team we will have next season and how long Klopp has been there now, shouldn't we be going for the title?

It's a possibility. I think we are far off the likes of City for punishing the 'weaker' teams, sure we can beat anyone on our day, but consistency is key and we haven't really showed that we can do that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

This shows a lack.of basic understanding as to the football klopp has us playing, Firmino has been excellent this season and is one of the first names in the teamsheet.

Yes he was quiet it the final however rather than trying to replace him we should be looking at an option to bring in and change things up if it not working out for him

Sell him and bring in Rashford.

astradave wrote: »
    But what you are advocating there is that Klopp changes his set up completely to play a natural striker. Firminos role in the team is not to be a proper striker but rather a link man who knits the play together between the midfield and the attacks, and also to drag the CB’s out to allow the wider players to get in behind. He’s basically a false 9. Changing that to a proper 9 will have an effect on the wider areas too.

It would but I think it's a risk worth taking. We have bags of pace and pressing in the squad as is. I think we could afford the luxury of a proper 9.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    This shows a lack.of basic understanding as to the football klopp has us playing, Firmino has been excellent this season and is one of the first names in the teamsheet.

Yes he was quiet it the final however rather than trying to replace him we should be looking at an option to bring in and change things up if it not working out for him

I understand how the team works. 1 simple change isn't going to completely unbalance how we are set up. The upside of more goals is huge, especially when it comes to putting the smaller teams away.

I understand how the team works. 1 simple change isn't going to completely unbalance how we are set up. The upside of more goals is huge, especially when it comes to putting the smaller teams away.

Front 3 scored plenty if goals. So you think replacing Firmino with a natural 'number 9' who plays on the shoulder of the centre half would not impact on the space available for salah and mane thus impact on their goal return. Never mind trying to better Firminos excellent contribution of 27 goals and 17 assists

• Advertisement

Also the fact that higuain is 30 years of age and has less goal and less assists while being the main man for the best team in alesser league last season. You think he will ensure Liverpool score more goals and challenge for 4th as a result.

Lets face it your whole argument is nonsense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement