Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    If instagram content is vain and narcissistic and self promoting then those are the exact things that tell you about the person using it. Thats the nature of the beast. Its the social media world we live in, so of course i can draw conclusions about someones character from what he posts on instagram. Karius is vain and narcisstic. He is also a sh*t keeper.

I look at that video and think "Jesus, this guy is our number 1 for next year".
    Its a sad state of affairs.

I still disagree tbh. He might be vain and narcissistic but, again, that says nothing about his talent or ability on the pitch. There are literally dozens of examples of vain, narcissistic players in our recent and long term history, just like there are plenty of absolute bastards, total gents and everything in between.

None of it really makes a difference. I 100% guarantee that if Salah was putting out that video, nobody would care. Just like Firmino's teeth whitening is a source of humour, not frustration. Is that not also vanity?

The fact is that Karius is no different to most other lads his age. His appearance, videos, marketing and vanity are not unusual and are not the main problem with him as a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Updated Games, typical early kick off after international break

Date/Team Team TV
    12th Aug West Ham Sky Sports
    20th Aug Palace (a) Sky Sports
    25th Aug Brighton BT Sports

Date/Team Team TV
    1st Sep Leicester (a) Sky Sports
    15th Sep Spurs (a) Sky Sports
    18/19th Sep UCL Match Day 1 BT Sports
    22nd Sep Southampton
    25th Sep EFL CUP 3rd Round
    29th Sep Chelsea (a) BT Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

That's why I originally said if he was doing it on the pitch Id have no problem with it. He could do it to his hearts content, wouldn't bother me.
    But his off pitch persona, whether we like it or not, effects his on pitch persona. He's as flakey as the cone he was eating.
    That video only re-affirms for me he's not suited to be our no.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

None of it really makes a difference. I 100% guarantee that if Salah was putting out that video, nobody would care. Just like Firmino's teeth whitening is a source of humour, not frustration. Is that not also vanity?

Bobby's dazzlers are a "passive" and personal vanity and let's face it without his obsession he may never have made it in Europe! :)

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/brazilian-dentist-discovered-roberto-firmino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

That's why I originally said if he was doing it on the pitch Id have no problem with it. He could do it to his hearts content, wouldn't bother me.
    But his off pitch persona, whether we like it or not, effects his on pitch persona. He's as flakey as the cone he was eating.
    That video only re-affirms for me he's not suited to be our no.1

Fair enough! We won't agree on that element of it but we can both agree that we don't want him in goal anyway.

I must say, I though, I'll be shocked if Klopp makes that change given the way he is speaking about the CL final etc.

Whats more likely, I think, is Mignolet and Ward to both leave and a new back up to come in. Tbf, both those lads should go for their own sake. They won't get the chance here. Mignolet has to be playing every week at his age and its very hard to see Ward making a go of a top level career (even championship or SPL) if he doesn't start to actually play regular football now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Much as I despise the Karius video - though I watched the version with added Baywatch music for that wee bit of levity - I think that we have to be aware the we're signing footballers these days that see themselves as brands. Their agents are probably encouraging them to see the long-term, after they're retired or, of course, maybe the opposite is true and make as much out of it as they can now.

Either way, that's the way these things are going. Equally, those Mother Teresa things we see our players doing - searching up fans who were looking for their jerseys etc - I have no doubt that most football clubs are behind 99% of that, trying to present the club as an inclusive, caring institution and not the capitalist behemoths who bleed supporters dry for every cent they can.

Aye, I'm a right cynic.

Every yin - Karius - has its yang - Milner. Rapidly becoming my favourite person on the planet.

https://twitter.com/JamesMilner/status/1015217795980816385

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Anyone else here travel cork/ Liverpool return,what the hell is it with Ryanair leaving Liverpool at 8am,I'm looking to book flights but coming home that time sun morn is a bitch,I'd normally come home from Manchester a bit later but that's an extra 60 yo yos and I'm trying to save a few quid,pain in the ass tbh

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think that video was daft, but I also don't care really as it isn't measurable to say that anything like that he does impacts on his on pitch performances, which is all I care about. If he had a superhuman season people wouldn't give a crap about any of that. If it was a video of him torturing babies or animals or something it'd be something to get upset about, but otherwise, let him off. He'll be fully judged on his on the pitch things.

If I was a professional sportsperson I don't think I'd have any sort of social media presence as you are ony leaving yourself open to the mostly worst that society has to offer, hidden behind the cowards cloak of anonymity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This time last year most of the same fans that are calling out Karius were calling for the head of Lovren and saying the club would be in huge trouble if Lovren stayed.

Now most of those think Lovren is grand.

It's a funny old game.

I'm sure Klopp has a goalkeeper or two targeted and will wait like he did with VVD to try and get the right one.

There will be a very expensive Goalkeeper Merry-Go-Round coming up and I would imagine Liverpool will be involved in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Seen an article this morning about how Kane is playing himself into Real Madrid's plans. Let's hope Brazil persist with Jesus.

I think Kane is superb, but I don't understand how this tournament is him playing himself into any big teams plans.

he's scored a truck load of penalties, and 3 that were nothing to write home about. most goals were against nobody.

I've seen him be far, far better than he's been so far this tournament, but anyway.

I agree though. as stupid as it is for them to keep doing it, let's hope Bobby stays on the bench.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

SlickRic wrote: »
    I think Kane is superb, but I don't understand how this tournament is him playing himself into any big teams plans.

he's scored a truck load of penalties, and 3 that were nothing to write home about. most goals were against nobody.

I've seen him be far, far better than he's been so far this tournament, but anyway.

I agree though. as stupid as it is for them to keep doing it, let's hope Bobby stays on the bench.

If Kane's last 3-4 seasons of consistent scoring hasn't seen him 'play his way into Real Madrid's plans' then I doubt 3 pens, a shot that just hit him, and 2 goals against Tunisia will have all of a sudden done the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Anyone else here travel cork/ Liverpool return,what the hell is it with Ryanair leaving Liverpool at 8am,I'm looking to book flights but coming home that time sun morn is a bitch,I'd normally come home from Manchester a bit later but that's an extra 60 yo yos and I'm trying to save a few quid,pain in the ass tbh

There is a flight back into Dublin leaving Liverpool on the Sunday at 2.30 if thats any good to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If instagram content is vain and narcissistic and self promoting then those are the exact things that tell you about the person using it.

Nope, that's what you percieve, and your perceptions are not fact. That's all I'm stating. Guy could be doing wonders for charities, helping family and friends through tough times, but he puts a video on instagram and you have him pegged as a dope.
    Thats the nature of the beast. Its the social media world we live in, so of course i can draw conclusions about someones character from what he posts on instagram. Karius is vain and narcisstic. He is also a sh*t keeper.

I look at that video and think "Jesus, this guy is our number 1 for next year".
    Its a sad state of affairs.

It's the social media world you live in, because you're the one immersing yourself and analyzing posts - I'm saying look beyond that. As others have alluded to -his on field performances have led to their perceptions of him as a goalkeeper, you're letting a 30s social media clip (I know that's not all you're basing it on, but your original post alludes to the instagram video being the problem).

Anyway, I'm done discussing the merits of instagram....it's a strange beast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

On a happier note, only 24hrs until we see Nabby and Paulinho tog out in a red shirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,285 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

This time last year most of the same fans that are calling out Karius were calling for the head of Lovren and saying the club would be in huge trouble if Lovren stayed.

Now most of those think Lovren is grand.

It's a funny old game.

I'm sure Klopp has a goalkeeper or two targeted and will wait like he did with VVD to try and get the right one.

There will be a very expensive Goalkeeper Merry-Go-Round coming up and I would imagine Liverpool will be involved in it.

difference being VVD can make a decent defender out of lovren, karius is on his own really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    On a happier note, only 24hrs until we see Nabby and Paulinho tog out in a red shirt!

You sure about that?

Lovren had to close his social media accounts for a time because of the online abusive he was getting from fans.

Lovren is a 9 in 10 player 9 good/alright games where he can look a beast then that 1 game where he looks the worst in the world and Lovren will have games that will cost us in the future then he will be the worst in the world again even with VVD beside him.

martyos121 wrote: »
    You sure about that?

Why wouldn't they get some game time?

• Advertisement

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they get some game time?

Paulinho might get a game for Brazil alright.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

There is a flight back into Dublin leaving Liverpool on the Sunday at 2.30 if thats any good to you

That's not a bad idea actually,I'll check it out,thanks for that

Paulinho might get a game for Brazil alright.:P

Ah, ok, see what I did there, can't really blame it on spell check either...:p

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Nabby and the Brazilian bloke get some game time and seeing which of the kids/loanees/soon to be sold Klopp plays in the front 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

D'Agger wrote: »
    Nope, that's what you percieve, and your perceptions are not fact. That's all I'm stating. Guy could be doing wonders for charities, helping family and friends through tough times, but he puts a video on instagram and you have him pegged as a dope.

It's the social media world you live in, because you're the one immersing yourself and analyzing posts - I'm saying look beyond that. As others have alluded to -his on field performances have led to their perceptions of him as a goalkeeper, you're letting a 30s social media clip (I know that's not all you're basing it on, but your original post alludes to the instagram video being the problem).

Anyway, I'm done discussing the merits of instagram....it's a strange beast

If he puts a dopey narcisstic video on instagram then thats what he is.. a narcisstic dope. If he puts a charity video up helping kids then thats what he is... a charity worker. He can be all and he can be one. I can judge him on whatever he puts up. He has control of what he wants the world to see. And he wanted the world to see a souped up model/fashion shoot. Some people like that, i have no time for it.

I dont have instagram or twitter or snapchat so i'm not "immersed" in the social media world - thats why its alien to me. These look at me, vain footballers we have now. Lallana did a piece before the CL final taking bout his teammates...a little taking heads piece...the only thing he said about karius??..."we might get to see a manbun in the final". That was it. He talked about his hair. Nothing about how commanding he is, shot stopper, ...nope. his f*cking hair.

sums it up.

bottom line;

we need a new keeper!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

D'Agger wrote: »
    Lets be really clear on something here lads - instagram content may be vain, it may be self promoting and not something I'm particularly interested in seeing - but it tells you sweet fúck all about somebodys character.

If the modern day footballer is a gobshíte on social media, then the modern fan is worse for analyzing it and formulating conclusions on that persons character.

I mean, that's not quite true.

That's like saying watching somebody's actions or listening to their words tell you feck all about their character.

There's definitely stuff to be garnered from it if that's something that you wanted to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Uruguay keeper must have had a concussion too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Knex. wrote: »
    I mean, that's not quite true.

That's like saying watching somebody's actions or listening to their words tell you feck all about their character.

There's definitely stuff to be garnered from it if that's something that you wanted to do.

Most footballers or athletes social media don't tell you much about them at all.

Just used for marketing & for their brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

It's these modern light balls that's the problem. Moving all over the shop. In my day the balls were made of sheep's bladder and soaked up water. If you got a smack of one you could legitimately claim you had concussion. Glorified beach balls the kids use nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very original joke:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

MD1990 wrote: »
    Very original joke:rolleyes:

I saw Gary Lineker make a similar joke about it during the match and, yeah, it was obvious and not very funny. Some Anfield Wrap lad got up on his high horse about it, though - concussion is a serious issue etc. We're a remarkably precious bunch at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

People need to get off Karius's nuts over the video. He's a modern footballer, they promote themselves. Personally I'd rather him project confidence in his videos then have him look a contrite but broken man. He just needs to back it up with solid performances.

I'd love if we got Oblak in, but if he's a non starter I don't see the point in buying some flavour of the month for what keepers are going for these days, I'd rather see that money spent elsewhere this season or on a more proven talent next season. We already saw an improvement in our defensive solidity with the introduction of VVD, throw in Naby and Fab tackling everything that moves and Karius will hopefully be given very few opportunities to **** up.

There's a misconception that you need an elite keeper to win titles. You don't. Weidenfaller and Kasper Schemeichel were/are not elite but with the right players and system in front of them Weidenfaller won 2 and Schmeichel 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Is this dybala thing just bollox? Be an amazing signing if real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Allison looking like a right yoke again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mosstin wrote: »
    I saw Gary Lineker make a similar joke about it during the match and, yeah, it was obvious and not very funny. Some Anfield Wrap lad got up on his high horse about it, though - concussion is a serious issue etc. We're a remarkably precious bunch at times.

It’s weird...some people go to extremes to defend him and on the other hand you have people fabricating stuff like him having never made a save to criticize him.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a goalkeeper receive as much criticism for a save he actually made as Karius’ save against Roma.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It’s weird...some people go to extremes to defend him and on the other hand you have people fabricating stuff like him having never made a save to criticize him.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a goalkeeper receive as much criticism for a save he actually made as Karius’ save against Roma.

I think as Liverpool fans we have collective PTSD when it comes to bungling keepers. Any flapping at the ball and we all get Vietnam flashbacks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

jones wrote: »
    Is this dybala thing just bollox? Be an amazing signing if real

Absolute utter bollox. No way the club pay 100 million for a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

And lads wanted Klopp to spend 70+ million on the Brazilian keeper......worse than Karius and Migs if you ask me

And lads wanted Klopp to spend 70+ million on the Brazilian keeper......worse than Karius and Migs if you ask me

Some people just can’t understand that big money doesn’t always mean a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's looking like Bobby will be on an early flight home at this rate.
    Great break and link up play by Lukaku and Dr Bruyne but poor defending and suspect keeper positioning from Brazil...
    At this rate if Allison is the answer we were asking the wrong question ;)

Would love to see a Bobby led comeback in the 2nd half but would rather have him back early.

• Advertisement

Hazard is looking very sharp.

I hope Madrid are taking note ;)

Must have seen Allison now a dozen times and he hasn't been anything special. Anyone been following his career have a better insight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Agree can't see the quality especially at the quoted price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lads, Simon Mignolet might actually win a World Cup. :eek:

Bit like saying we all almost won the CL in May - Mig is just a spectator...

Hazard is looking very sharp.

I hope Madrid are taking note ;)

Needs a move away from Chelsea.

Well now, Brazil mean business with Bobby on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Bobby gets 45 min at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you can't tell quality from the world cup, that cuts both ways.

I'm sure whoever we get it'll be off the back of extensive scouting, and not just a Dioufian punt.

• Advertisement

As good as Reina.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement