Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If for nothing else some fans should be happy that Klopp is sticking with him because it saves them having to go looking for something else to be negative about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr.H wrote: »
    Seems like half our fans are concussed to be honest.

What exactly do people hope to achieve? The ability to say I told you so? Thats a little sad.

Tbh I never thought half our fan base would ever get to a stage where the CL final mistakes were considered something he could come back from.

I'm worried about the effect him throwing away goals will have on the lads who break their bollox trying to score them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

noodler wrote: »
    Tbh I never thought half our fan base would ever get to a stage where the CL final mistakes were considered something he could come back from.

I'm worried about the effect him throwing away goals will have on the lads who break their bollox trying to score them.
    Thats not it.

Klopp has decided to give him another chance.

Best to support him rather than moan or join in the concussion jokes like sheep.

I would prefer a new keeper but it is not easy to get a top keeper in this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Karius could come back from all of this with a stronger mentality. It's sink or swim time. I hope he learns from it but yes he will have a tough time from opposing fans. But sure every Liverpool player gets stick from opposing fans. If he is to be our No. 1 then we have to support him. We don't have to like him. He will make wonder saves and probably will have howlers too. He's the Liverpool keeper for now, so he has my support. I have no doubt I'll be pulling my hair out from some of his actions this season but also will be applauding him for the rest of his actions. I think with Virgil in front of him he will get better. Honestly, I would prefer a new keeper but if we don't get one then Karius is the best option we have. He's still better than Mignolet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One of Hendo(TAA) and Lovren will be in the World Cup final! Mig could be there as well.

Low grade talk about Brandt move (presumably just a lazy column filler to compliment Fekir one/off chit-chat )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Holy crap it is a warm up before a pre season game, if anyone takes what they see there serious they need to really look at themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I really don't think people are basing their opinion on a warm up, rather on his generally average to poor performances since he joined and a horrific CL final.

In saying that I would be happy enough with signing a young keeper with potential to replace Mignolet and let them battle it out next season. I really hope Karius makes it as Liverpool's no.1 but I don't expect him to be at the club in two years time.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Karius could come back from all of this with a stronger mentality. It's sink or swim time. I hope he learns from it but yes he will have a tough time from opposing fans. But sure every Liverpool player gets stick from opposing fans. If he is to be our No. 1 then we have to support him. We don't have to like him. He will make wonder saves and probably will have howlers too. He's the Liverpool keeper for now, so he has my support. I have no doubt I'll be pulling my hair out from some of his actions this season but also will be applauding him for the rest of his actions. I think with Virgil in front of him he will get better. Honestly, I would prefer a new keeper but if we don't get one then Karius is the best option we have. He's still better than Mignolet.

Good to see a sensible post on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well lets hope Karius doesn't have a Lovren Spurs game now that really would put an end to his Liverpool career like it did Lovren.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Thats not it.

Klopp has decided to give him another chance.

Best to support him rather than moan or join in the concussion jokes like sheep.

I would prefer a new keeper but it is not easy to get a top keeper in this window.

I don't know what people want here.

This is going to be talked about ALL season if he stays.

Every mistake he makes, and he makes more than most, will be amplified.

Its unnecessary attention and an unnecessary distraction brought on by a rather forlorn hope that he will ever be the type of keeper the club needs.

I mean do you really think a line can be drawn under this because Klopp might back him?

I really feel like the CL final mistakes are the type that even his most ardent followers would have previously said would need to be committed before they'd consider him gone.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »

Or any of the last four windows it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

We hope to achieve a new and improved keeper. Nothing wrong with wanting a better squad, especially when augmenting an important problem area.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Ah no, as a Liverpool fan you must support Karius blindly no matter how many times he will muck up or is dropped for Mignolet. Same for Moreno let's bring him back in for Robertson as we were clearly in the wrong asking for Andy to start ahead of him too.

Except nobody disagrees we need a better keeper. The only thing is we keep saying Jack Butland and Schmiechel are not better keepers!!!

Also crying online about it isnt going to change Klopps mind.

If Karius starts as number one it means Klopp wants him to

Also typical tight wads FSG not spending money on Fekir when they can save money by keeping Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

It's not about I told you so with karius because we all bloody know at this stage apart from klopp,if that lads in goal for us this season then it's already a write off and it's as simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

shamrock55 wrote: »
    It's not about I told you so with karius because we all bloody know at this stage apart from klopp,if that lads in goal for us this season then it's already a write off and it's as simple as that

I agree we are slowly morphing into the new Arsenal (minus the fa cups).

I for one think its about time we start challenging for league titles and winning trophies.

We have all this premeir league tv money, champions league money and the coutinho money. Thats why i find it absolute bollox that the club cant break the bank on a new goalkeeper such as Oblak.

It has been pretty publicly reported since January that Klopp is looking for a new number 1 and much like when he was being lambasted by fans for not signing a CB last summer when he couldn't sign VVD and waited it also being reported that he will wait for the right target.

When reported it is being reported by the likes of Joyce & Pearce.

Last season was a write off when we didn't sign VVD in the summer yet we got to a CL final and finished top 4 nice write off.

FSG And Klopp out and get people in who know about goalkeepers.

ricero wrote: »

I for one think its about time we start challenging for league titles and winning trophies.

We have all this premeir league tv money, champions league money and the coutinho money. Thats why i find it absolute bollox that the club cant break the bank on a new goalkeeper such as Oblak.

In fairness, we have only just qualified for the CL for the second time in a row for the first time in a decade.

The Arsenal comparisons are bit flattering. I'd love if we had that kind of stability tbh.

It's pretty well reported Klopp has been looking for a keeper. Have patience. Enjoy the summer

ricero wrote: »

Were you banging the Allison drum before the World Cup?

• Advertisement

Oblak can't even catch or punch a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Who says Klopp likes Oblank or Allison? Perhaps he prefers an alternative and is biding his time, like he did with VVD. Just because we aren't spunking our load on a top named keeper, doesn't mean we are suddenly morphing into Arsenal.

Klopp is not Wenger, he wants to win stuff and is ruthless when it's the right time to be ruthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I just hope he doesn't drop a massive clanger in first game or two ,his head goes completely, and we are stuck with him or ward as number 1 then

I hope he doesn't pull off a worldie save in the first game of the season and we lose so he won't gain any confidence from it and Klopp showing some faith in him and just ****s off to be a model and retire from football completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I hope he doesn't pull off a worldie save in the first game of the season and we lose so he won't gain any confidence from it and Klopp showing some faith in him and just ****s off to be a model and retire from football completely.

To late to get another the keeper then

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thread badly needs something to happen. That or people should say what they mean and not communicate entirely through sarcasm.

I would be happy if we signed a new keeper, but I don't want one that doesn't improve us. I don't expect us to though, but I won't be spitting chips because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Has anyone seen the video of youtube of Fat Gerrard Mellor doing analyis on the pitch before yesterdays game and if u look between himself and the other presenter you can see Karius warming up behimd them , He does a tokem Karius and lets a really really tame one slip out of his hands and between his legs into the net , Its quite funny given his very recent history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Karius will be number 1 next season unless Klopp finds one he actually wants. I understand peoples frustration but I've made my peace with it and it may not be the doomsday scenario as many may think it is. We have shown we can compete with Karius and he was contributing to the team before the CL final.

An upgrade would be great but would 60M equate to say 10 more points from a GK? Does it buy you that quality currently? I'm not entirely sure but something has to happen if Karius cannot improve a decent amount. Looking at stats, we have conceded 38 goals from 108 on target shots. Or a goal every 3 shots on target approx. It simply has to improve if we want to win things. I think we are helping our GK's as much as possible in terms of protection we just need a GK that can make some of the difficult saves Karius/Mig couldn't and thats easier said than done. So we'll have to wait for the GK Klopp wants.

Suppose it’s better than criticising him for saves he did make.

Btw 60m on the right keeper absolutely gains you 10 PTS in the LGE,karius -10,that's a 20 PT swing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Btw 60m on the right keeper absolutely gains you 10 PTS in the LGE,karius -10,that's a 20 PT swing

Can you break down that points Karius lost us in the league by reference to games?

We conceded 38 goals last season. A 20 point swing based on a GK is almost impossible in your scenario unless he pretty much saves everything. De Gea conceded 28 and United finished 6 points ahead. Are you proposing a new GK would have gotten us to 95 points last season?

I mean its statistically possible but I dont see how a new Keeper would automatically do that by saving nearly everything. If that was the case we'd have a new GK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

.... In your opinion I presume or is there hard evidence to back up these specific figures.

It's obviously only my opinion that we would gain 10 PTS with a quality keeper,and with the minus 10 PTS I'm talking about this coming season and with the fragility of karius I honestly think he could lose us alot of PTS this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It's obviously only my opinion that we would gain 10 PTS with a quality keeper,and with the minus 10 PTS I'm talking about this coming season and with the fragility of karius I honestly think he could lose us alot of PTS this season

Ah here, put down the shovel. Signing Ronaldo send Messi would barely result in a 20pt swing and you think that could be achieved with a change of keeper?

Point to one example ever in any league where a change of keeper would have resulted in a 20pt swing?

Villa want £40m for Grealish lol

Spurs have offered £15m so my guess is Villa are attaching Liverpool to him to try and get Spurs up the bid.

£15m seems about right for him

However with Wilson, Ojo, Woodburn, Solanke, Origi already at the club I don't see why we would be in for him at any price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Can I have the lotto numbers while your at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We should be buying Donna Rumma, 50m would buy and we could tell for 100m in 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quoted so you do not have to visit the Echo
    Liverpool will resist any loan offers for talented youngsters Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson until Jurgen Klopp has been allowed a closer look at the duo throughout the summer.

Woodburn and Wilson both started in Liverpool's 7-0 friendly victory over Chester on Saturday, the latter scoring twice in the opening half of the game.

That display prompted an immediate loan bid from Celtic for Wilson, an offer which was turned down flat by Liverpool. The Reds would not consider sending any player on loan to the Scottish club after seeing how Brendan Rodgers' side used loan signings last season.

Rodgers snapped up Patrick Roberts from Manchester City and Charly Musonda from Chelsea but both found their opportunities limited in 2017/18. Musonda was recalled just six months into his 18-month loan due to a lack of playing time.

Claims in Scotland that the issue is the fee wanted by Liverpool to sanction a loan to Celtic are wide of the mark.

and
    Liverpool have no interest in Jack Grealish - despite bizarre links claiming Reds had held talks with Aston Villa

15 million is more than Grealish is worth, but less than you’d expect him to go for given his nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Having read the wealth of goalkeeper criticism over the last few weeks here, the impression I'm getting: there's De Gea and Courtouis and that's it.

Every other goalkeeper on the planet is complete ****e who couldn't hold water. Correct?

Don't feel too bad about Karius now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can pull up videos of many great keepers making mistakes, but those mistakes rarely cost the team. The likes of Karius and Mignolet have cost us so much.

Can pull up videos of many great keepers making mistakes, but those mistakes rarely cost the team. The likes of Karius and Mignolet have cost us so much.

The Spanish and German keepers cost the Countries in this World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I honestly think he could lose us alot of PTS this season

I think PTS will be huge issue if Klopp persists with Karius as No.1....
    As in Post Traumatic Stress! ;) And Pre Traumatic Stress while we wait for the team sheets :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

https://youtu.be/yv6lGICXH7U

And here's a video of saves he made that didn't cost the team.

How come you're maligned on here if you think Karius is fooking brutal but slagging off Henderson is no problem?

Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Augeo wrote: »
    How come you're maligned on here if you think Karius is fooking brutal but slagging off Henderson is no problem?

Strange.
    Tis bizarre.

Strange.

Or call Sturridge a crock but Ings deserves a chance, or Origi is rubbish but Solanke needs games etc etc......People are hypocrites, I include myself in that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Strange.

The Henderson slagging is old hat at this point.

Some will never recognise the role he plays and after years of toing and froing, there's no point arguing about it.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Or call Sturridge a crock but Ings deserves a chance, or Origi is rubbish but Solanke needs games etc etc......People are hypocrites, I include myself in that :pac:

Maybe we need to start saying ‘Stick with Karius because he might have a Neuer season.’

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement