Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/yv6lGICXH7U

And here's a video of saves he made that didn't cost the team.

Every one of them saves bar 2(imo) were saves that you would expect your keeper to make. The bolaise/everton one and (I think) man city, the video quality was poor, both very good saves.
    The penalty was straight at him and any keeper who doesn't dive saves it. It takes balls for a keeper to do that tho so kudos to him.

One thing that struck me watching that was a lot of his saves were punches/blocks, he gets hands to the ball like he did to Bales shot but he usually doesn't get his hands directly behind it so he has no control. The ball bounces off him and goes anywhere. Thankfully in that video they go out and it looks like a good stop, as we saw in the final, they can go anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone else notice that Lazar is missing from preseason already.

Poor lad

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Vicxas wrote: »

Poor lad

I'm as likely to play for Liverpool this season as he is at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Augeo wrote: »
    How come you're maligned on here if you think Karius is fooking brutal but slagging off Henderson is no problem?

Strange.

I have been critical of Henderson quite a bit but I don't think I've gone as far as to refer to him as an untrained animal or claimed conspiracy over injuries. Or posted a video of mistakes in training. I did call him a better Jay Spearing though and that was harsh.

I've no problem with Henderson being at the club and think he'd be a great option of the bench. If he proves me wrong and holds his spot then I'm wrong but so what.

I think people are going overboard with Karius, he was concussed and made mistakes. I think people can be a bit cavalier with comments on players health and wellbeing and I think it's disappointing. Especially for a club that prides itself on sticking by its players when they are going through a storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

brevity wrote: »
    I have been critical of Henderson quite a bit but I don't think I've gone as far as to refer to him as an untrained animal or claimed conspiracy over injuries. Or posted a video of mistakes in training. I did call him a better Jay Spearing though and that was harsh.

I've no problem with Henderson being at the club and think he'd be a great option of the bench. If he proves me wrong and holds his spot then I'm wrong but so what.

I think people are going overboard with Karius, he was concussed and made mistakes. I think people can be a bit cavalier with comments on players health and wellbeing and I think it's disappointing. Especially for a club that prides itself on sticking by its players when they are going through a storm.

"You'll Definitely Walk Alone The Minute The Chips Are Down, If We're Being Honest" doesn't have the same ring to it, does it.

I think it's fair to have an opinion on a player, and in the heat of a match you might slag them off, but so long as they're putting in an honest effort abuse is never warranted. And being snide about them on here just winds people up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5starpool wrote: »

Now that you're doing my training regime, we both should be ready if called upon next season.

My neck is nearly 100% and since my switch to gk and the lack of signings, I reckon this is the year.

Very old joke that might have made it to the list, so is probably worth at least 4-5 thanks.
    Soooo excited about next season though! Really feel like Klopp is building something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Can you play in goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

DeGea faced 148 shots on target and conceded 28. Less than 20%. Liverpool conceded at a rate of 37% - 103 on target and 38 conceded. If Liverpool had DeGea in goal we'd have conceded less than 20 goals. That is absolutely massive. Utd with Liverpool keepers would have conceded over 50 goals and wouldn't have made top 4.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots_perc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

joe_99 wrote: »
    DeGea faced 148 shots on target and conceded 28. Less than 20%. Liverpool conceded at a rate of 37% - 103 on target and 38 conceded. If Liverpool had DeGea in goal we'd have conceded less than 20 goals. That is absolutely massive. Utd with Liverpool keepers would have conceded over 50 goals and wouldn't have made top 4.

De Gea is the best in the world, people are suggesting the likes of Butland as an upgrade

mosstin wrote: »
    Can you play in goal?

I'm as good as Bogdan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If this team, Karius included gets us to another CLF we'd find it hard to complain.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Those stats are meaningless if they don't control in some way for the quality of the chances.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    De Gea is the best in the world, people are suggesting the likes of Butland as an upgrade

The point is Liverpool can do better. A good keeper makes a huge difference. Conceding 37% of all shots on target is going to cost points. To win the league we will need 90+ points. We need to find 15 points from somewhere. Starting with a new keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The point is Liverpool can do better. A good keeper makes a huge difference. Conceding 37% of all shots on target is going to cost points. To win the league we will need 90+ points. We need to find 15 points from somewhere. Starting with a new keeper.

Comparing to the best in world is pointless, compare to someone attainable

mayordenis wrote: »
    Those stats are meaningless if they don't control in some way for the quality of the chances.

Funny how the best keeper in the league manages to have lowest shots conceded. It's a keeper equivalent stat as most goals scored (quality of chances scored doesn't come in to that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sometimes Karius is over exposed and it make him look worse than he is. I'd love Klopp to learn from his time here and change his approach. We all know if Rafa had his riches we'd challenge year in year out.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Comparing to the best in world is pointless, compare to someone attainable

If you look at the table Liverpool come second last in the shots on target to goals conceded table 37% - 19th in the league. Utd are 1st 19% Burnley 2nd at 24%

Was he concussed when dropped last season?
    He's a poor keeper for a team with ambitions of challenging for a PL title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Anyone who thinks karius won't cost us points this season deluded imo, he'll cost more then he wins that's for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Blondie919 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/yv6lGICXH7U

And here's a video of saves he made that didn't cost the team.

I feed my children!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Oh wow, we're playing tomorrow.

Oh domestic football how i missed you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Just a quick question that someone here might be able to help me with. It occurred to me after seeing Brazil's own goal against Belgium.

If a striker scores a goal for his team but the ball goes in off his hand, it's disallowed. If a defender scores an own goal but the ball goes in off his hand, would it be allowed or not? It should be a free kick, not a goal, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

shamrock55 wrote:
    Anyone who thinks karius won't cost us points this season deluded imo, he'll cost more then he wins that's for sure

Anyone who thinks butland schmeichel or pope are better than karius are equally as deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

jasonb wrote: »
    Just a quick question that someone here might be able to help me with. It occurred to me after seeing Brazil's own goal against Belgium.

If a striker scores a goal for his team but the ball goes in off his hand, it's disallowed. If a defender scores an own goal but the ball goes in off his hand, would it be allowed or not? It should be a free kick, not a goal, right?

Technically it should be a penalty as it was a handball in the box, but then you are penalising the team for whom the goal was scored as the penalty could easily be missed

joe_99 wrote:

While i like these stats, they are a little misleading.

For example a shot on target under pressure is given the same weight as a shot on target where the keeper is left exposed and alone. The latter happens to our keepers a lot.

Most of our goals against come from defensive errors rather than keeper errors. It was mentioned here the other day by someone that virgil made a mistake against city and sterling. He allowed raheem to take the ball and instead of trying to get it back he looked for a free kick. He didnt get one but city certainly scored. This defensive mistake let to an exposed keeper. Yes he had other defenders but our main center back was in the stands crying foul.

That is not the same as when someone gets a shot in on da gae under pressure from a defense who are in position. Surely one of those types of shot on target is more difficult to score and will result in less goals?

shamrock55 wrote: »

I'd like him upgraded on, that's for sure, but there is no point getting too worked up about it. Your above post is impossible to quantify anyhow. Keepers don't just save points by shot stopping, they can do so with positioning which no one notices. They can do so with quick distribution which leads to counter attacks and goals, they can do so by organisational abilities.

I'm not saying Karius excels at any of the above, but a few high profile mistakes, annoying as they are, is not the only way to judge keepers, and some of this is probably lost on most football fans, me included. If Klopp and the ret of the coaching staff don't think we can upgrade at an acceptable cost, then while I can't promise not to get annoyed at Karius, I won't get angry at the situation in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If a defender tries to keep the ball out but gets a hand to it I reckon it's a goal or a save if it's Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Vicxas wrote: »

Poor lad

there was an article about him last week...
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lazar-markovic-returns-liverpool-transfer-14860771
    i'm no professional athlete but you would think if he was fighting to get back into the squad he'd come back to preseason in better shape, he's only 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thud wrote: »
    there was an article about him last week...
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lazar-markovic-returns-liverpool-transfer-14860771
    i'm no professional athlete but you would think if he was fighting to get back into the squad he'd come back to preseason in better shape, he's only 24.

He looks in good shape there? Looks to have built up a lot of muscle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sometimes Karius is over exposed and it make him look worse than he is. I'd love Klopp to learn from his time here and change his approach. We all know if Rafa had his riches we'd challenge year in year out.
    What nonsense, KArius looks bad because he is an awful goal keeper.,
    His mistakes aren't because he is over exposed !!!,
    He threw a ball to a man 5 yards from him that just being an idiot, Then throws a Bale shot from 40 yards in ,How is that from being over exposed ?
    It boggles my mind fans still trying to make excuses for him,  he is a shocking goal keeper end of story ,

What nonsense, KArius looks bad because he is an awful goal keeper., His mistakes aren't because he is over exposed !!!, He threw a ball to a man 5 yards from him that just being an idiot, Then throws a Bale shot from 40 yards in ,How is that from being over exposed ? It boggles my mind fans still trying to make excuses for him, he is a shocking goal keeper end of story ,

Lets just allow the concused excuse for a second. Can you name five examples of when he made a mistake where he wasnt left exposed? I mean if he is as bad as people say it should be easy to get just five examples.

The concussion is a poor excuse. I believe it is just to allow him to return to the team without question.

But anyone who thinks that even the likes of da gea wouldnt struggle in our team is just biased. Replacing karius for the sake of it wont fix the issue.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Lets just allow the concused excuse for a second. Can you name five examples of when he made a mistake where he wasnt left exposed? I mean if he is as bad as people say it should be easy to get just five examples...............

Presumably Klopp had plenty of reason to drop him for Migs about 18 months ago. Karius has generally played with Robertson and Virgil in front of him since then except for the CL group stages where iirc we were not fantastic defensively when playing teams that weren't very poor, and that was reflected in the goals conceded :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The concussion is a poor excuse. I believe it is just to allow him to return to the team without question.

A player gets elbowed in the head and then a medical professional tests them and says they have concussion, but it's really a conspiracy to protect a keeper Klopp doesn't even really seem to want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The one that bugs me is ,ball goes into box,hits defenders hand or arm ,but it's unintentionall completely...play on..no qualms..

Ball goes into box,hits attackers hand/arm ,but it's unintentionall completely,free out.. always seems to happen like this

Well no, the advantage rule means that play continues if the team who would be getting the penalty in this case gained an advantage because of play continuing, which it clearly did in this case. If there was no advantage rule then it would be a penalty, which would be a ridiculous rule, especially when there was about half a second in this case between the ball hitting the defender on the arm and goin in the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Klopp has said it's an explanation not an excuse.

What nonsense, KArius looks bad because he is an awful goal keeper., His mistakes aren't because he is over exposed !!!, He threw a ball to a man 5 yards from him that just being an idiot, Then throws a Bale shot from 40 yards in ,How is that from being over exposed ? It boggles my mind fans still trying to make excuses for him, he is a shocking goal keeper end of story ,

Lets just allow the concused excuse for a second. Can you name five examples of when he made a mistake where he wasnt left exposed? I mean if he is as bad as people say it should be easy to get just five examples.

But anyone who thinks that even the likes of da gea wouldnt struggle in our team is just biased. Replacing karius for the sake of it wont fix the issue.
    When he kicked the ball out for a corner from a goal kick , (never even seen a Sunday league keeper do that )
    When we trashed Arsenal at home and he managed to kick the ball off Welbeck on 3 occasions when he had loads of time,
    Sane goal at Anfield
    Bournemouth away,
    Last day of the season against Brighton, he let a really soft back pass roll under his foot and was lucky he was far enough from goal to recover,
    Roma at home when he made a meal of Kolarov's shot, and got away with it,  
    He constantly makes stupid little mistakes like basically every game ,like letting it run under his feet and so on but kept getting away with it, he is an accident waiting to happen for a long long time,
    You mentioned him being exposed but Karius whole issue is he makes a meal of things when under no pressure at all, his shot stopping is usual ok its when he has the ball at his feet or in his hands that he is liability .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Klopp has said it's an explanation not an excuse.

They're synonyms of each other anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Gbear wrote: »
    A player gets elbowed in the head and then a medical professional tests them and says they have concussion, but it's really a conspiracy to protect a keeper Klopp doesn't even really seem to want.

It also protects the resale value of an FSG asset somewhat:
    Crap keeper <€5m
    Mid level Prem league keeper who may have been concussed >€15m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Thud wrote: »
    It also protects the resale value of an FSG asset somewhat:
    Crap keeper <€5m
    Mid level Prem league keeper who may have been concussed >€15m

So a US brain specialist who no doubt spent 5-10 years of his life studying and training etc and now earns in excess of $500,000 a year agreed to fake the concussion diagnosis in order to potentially save FSG a few quid.

Really?

Tin-foil-hat-award1531134719.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Gbear wrote: »

Are you a boxing or MMA fan by any chance? If you were then you would be a lot more skeptical at paid medical professionals proffering an opinion that just so happens to absolve an athlete of wrongdoing.

I'd believe that story as far as I can throw it. He exhibited zero signs during the game itself. It's damage control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I bet Ronnie is glad that social media didn't exist back in his day I could imagine the sh1t he would have gotten and been put through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mr.H wrote:
    Anyone who thinks butland schmeichel or pope are better than karius are equally as deluded.

All of them have at least had a good season in England.
    It's sad people are trying to act like he's only had 1 bad game due to a concussion. People can point out Oblak or De Gea mistakes but they are so much better than Karius it makes Liverpool look bad to mention him in the same breath as any top class goalkeeper.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Mr.H wrote:

All of them have at least had a good season in England.
    It's sad people are trying to act like he's only had 1 bad game due to a concussion. People can point out Oblak or De Gea mistakes but they are so much better than Karius it makes Liverpool look bad to mention him in the same breath as any top class goalkeeper.
     Schmeichel and Pope are simply better goalkeepers than Karius but still not the level required,
    Butland is level with Karius and I wouldn't touch him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Every single keeper makes a mistake. De Gea, Neur the WC ones all do but are brilliant 95% of the time and pull of wonder saves. If Karius made one mistake in the CL final you'd get over it but 2? Top keepers don't do multiple mistakes in a game of that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

For me, its not so much the mistakes, it's the lack of confidence I have in the lad. Other keepers will make mistakes, but make up for it by being commanding, exuding confidence and making decent saves. Karius doesn't do any of that for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

When he kicked the ball out for a corner from a goal kick , (never even seen a Sunday league keeper do that )
    When we trashed Arsenal at home and he managed to kick the ball off Welbeck on 3 occasions when he had loads of time,
    Sane goal at Anfield
    Bournemouth away,
    Last day of the season against Brighton, he let a really soft back pass roll under his foot and was lucky he was far enough from goal to recover,
    Roma at home when he made a meal of Kolarov's shot, and got away with it,  
    He constantly makes stupid little mistakes like basically every game ,like letting it run under his feet and so on but kept getting away with it, he is an accident waiting to happen for a long long time,
    You mentioned him being exposed but Karius whole issue is he makes a meal of things when under no pressure at all, his shot stopping is usual ok its when he has the ball at his feet or in his hands that he is liability .

This is it a lot of his mistakes he has gotten away with or not ended up costing the team points. They were still dreadful mistakes and it was only a matter of time till his mistakes did cost us. I was in no way shocked with what happened in the CL in the exact same way I knew mignolet would end up costing us if we started with him as number 1 last season. The two of them aren't good enough and its by a country mile the weakest part of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The di**head fans that we have are going to ruin his life.

What good came out of the lad who rewound back the pre-match build up on LFCTV of a pre-season game while a World Cup game was taking place, just for the sole purpose of recording Karius making a mistake during a warm up? (anyways, isn't that what a warm up is for - to get a feel of the ball etc, make your mistakes there as opposed to during the game). Just so he could have a go at him and pretend like he is performing some duty for us or something.

That Liverpool 'fan' is trying to purposely affect Karius and turn all fans against him, making it a toxic atmosphere towards him, and the players & management in general.

Every single little thing Karius does now is going to be scrutinized to the max. 'He should be one foot to the left there', 'he should have caught not punched, 'he should not have posted that one word extra in an instragam post', 'he didn't jump high enough' and so on and on.

It doesn't matter one jot anymore if Karius has any good games as any one tiny mistake, whether it results in a goal or not, will be magnified 1000% and turned into this massive thing. No one will magnify the good games at all now.

I hope that p***k is happy with what he has stated. He has got the snowball rolling. It's only going to get worse from here on out. Gary Neville & the rest on MNF are already making a piece on him as we speak for defo, just waiting for an opportunity to hammer him so more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Well no, the advantage rule means that play continues if the team who would be getting the penalty in this case gained an advantage because of play continuing, which it clearly did in this case. If there was no advantage rule then it would be a penalty, which would be a ridiculous rule, especially when there was about half a second in this case between the ball hitting the defender on the arm and goin in the net.

Excellent explanation, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

FitzShane wrote: »
    The di**head fans that we have are going to ruin his life.

What good came out of the lad who rewound back the pre-match build up on LFCTV of a pre-season game while a World Cup game was taking place, just for the sole purpose of recording Karius making a mistake during a warm up? (anyways, isn't that what a warm up is for - to get a feel of the ball etc, make your mistakes there as opposed to during the game). Just so he could have a go at him and pretend like he is performing some duty for us or something.

That Liverpool 'fan' is trying to purposely affect Karius and turn all fans against him, making it a toxic atmosphere towards him, and the players & management in general.

Every single little thing Karius does now is going to be scrutinized to the max. 'He should be one foot to the left there', 'he should have caught not punched, 'he should not have posted that one word extra in an instragam post', 'he didn't jump high enough' and so on and on.

It doesn't matter one jot anymore if Karius has any good games as any one tiny mistake, whether it results in a goal or not, will be magnified 1000% and turned into this massive thing. No one will magnify the good games at all now.

I hope that p***k is happy with what he has stated. He has got the snowball rolling. It's only going to get worse from here on out. Gary Neville & the rest on MNF are already making a piece on him as we speak for defo, just waiting for an opportunity to hammer him so more.

That pretty much sums up my feelings

For his own sake he is probably better off leaving.

As for goalkeeping, cannot help feeling the standard is at a bit of a low globally right now (or maybe its just more dynamic footballs etc.)

There seems to be a lack of quality out there and beyond the top 5 there really isn't much between many of them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement