Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Brego888 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ROUNDTHEBEND__/status/1016785587397910528?s=19

This is Ben Tollit
    A Liverpool supporter
    Says it all really

That is sad as f**k, if he's actually a Liverpool fan.

Who laughs at a mistake by a player from the team that they support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That is sad as f**k, if he's actually a Liverpool fan.

Who laughs at a mistake by a player from the team that they support?

Er I think he was laughing at the liverpool fan wearing a Tranmere jersey calling karius **** cause of his **** up, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Read back some posts mate,it was said to me earlier

There’s no way you said anything even close to being positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think the problem Karius has is that he's thinking too fast.

Before the ball comes to him he's probably already thinking what he's going to do with and not cocentrating on receiving the ball.

Same with the CL final for the first goal. He probably already made the decision that he was going to roll it out right before he received the ball and just executed his plan without concentrating on his surroundings, i.e. Benzema.

His concentration is really poor and by now that should have been trained in to him. Another goalkeeper under Actherbergs tenure tp throw on the heap. Reina, Bogden, Jones, Mignolet, Karius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

ricero wrote: »
    And now for something completely different....

https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/status/1016799903933259782

That's some neck on the line stuff from Mr Percy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

martyos121 wrote: »
    But you still thought we should sign him even though you admit yourself he isn’t even decent anymore? Bizarre.

When did I say that? Despite Butlands poor form, I still think he's a better bet than karius now. There's no recovery for the latter at LFC. Butland would at least be given a chance if he came in. Pretty much anyone would at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If Karius gifts West Ham points in the opener I think I may run away from this thread and join the foreign legion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anything said for giving Ward a chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Vicxas wrote: »

Why not?

He had a good first half yesterday....

https://streamable.com/1pjvp/[URL][/url]

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »

Don't see why not...have him as No.2 at least while getting rid of dumb and dumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Mr.H wrote: »
    Making stuff up or has anyone actually said that?

here you go:
    You being a secret Schalke fan can be the only reason for wanting Ralf Fahrmann at Liverpool. I watch him regularly live and in training due to work and he isnt half as good as Karius was in his last season in the Bundesliga. He is as the Germans would say....a good weather keeper......or put simply...he is very inconsistant.

Real LFC fans should be getting behind Karius, supporting him and trying to build the lads confidence because thats all he needs with a solid defence infront of him.

Karius is still young but a the end of the day he's a professional football player on good money, so people can be softly softly with him of they want, but don't tell other fans that they're not real fans because they hold players to a standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Major respect lost for klopp if Karius will be starting in the premier league opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I change my mind. Karius is done for. Obviously the physiological mountain he had to climb is too big.

We had to buy a number 2 already anyways cos Mignolet is leaving, but that is now a number 1 for sure.

Klopp wants a new keeper, that is well known. Whether the scouts & Edwards can now deliver on that remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I kinda want to keep him now, massive pressure on him to perform in every game now so after a month or two we will know for certain if he can handle it. We will still have Ward and another to step in if Karius doesn't work out.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »

Klopp wants a new keeper, that is well known. Whether the scouts & Edwards can now deliver on that remains to be seen.

Klopp bought Karius as his #1 keeper.
    Karius is brutal, has been dropped once and looks as bad now as he was when he was dropped.
    I don't think the scouts and Edwards can be held accountable if they can't clean up this mess tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Klopp can't wave a magic wand to make a brilliant keeper sign, likewise, he couldn't do it last summer to make a CB appear when the Virgil deal fell through. But many fans were angry that we didn't buy SOMEONE.

Klopp doesn't work like that and possibly more importantly the owners don't work like that. They are businessmen. If they had done what fans wanted then we would have another CB for let's say 25/30million sitting on the bench on huge wages which is not what any club or business wants. The club accepted possible poor results on the pitch for 6 months until they got Virgil in and were happy to keep their money in their pocket.

And it looks like they have been proved correct.

I feel it's the same situation here. If they can get the keeper they want they will. If they can't well they are not wasting any money on sloppy seconds and will accept more mistakes from Karius until his superior replacement is found.

Klopp has said more than once that he will only bring in players that will improve the squad, and those players have to be available, affordable and want to come to too.

But as has been shown before Klopp will talk up and defend current players hugely to the media but we don't know what exactly is going on in private.

tinpib wrote: »
    ........ If they had done what fans wanted then we would have another CB for let's say 25/30million sitting on the bench on huge wages which is not what any club or business wants. ............

If that CB was better than Lovren and Matip they wouldn't be on the bench too often :) We likely need a new CB tbh, if Virgil misses any games we're back to Matip and Lovren as a partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

There is GK's that we can sign that would be a big uprgrade on Karius apart from Alisson

- Sommer
    - Olsen
    - Areola

3 good keepers all probably not hard to sign apart from Sommer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Klopp will be making a big mistake if he persists with Karius. The team's confidence will be shot early in the season with this calamity between the sticks.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a link to the journo tweet (can't remember who it was - maybe Paul Joyce?) that said that Klopp wanted Oblak.

Augeo wrote: »
    Klopp bought Karius as his #1 keeper.
    Karius is brutal, has been dropped once and looks as bad now as he was when he was dropped.
    I don't think the scouts and Edwards can be held accountable if they can't clean up this mess tbh.

He bought a keeper for pittance, who before he came to Liverpool was highly rated. On paper it seemed like a good transfer at the time.

You cannot say for sure every transfer works out. Some don't work out, it happens.

Klopp have Karius his chance, and he looked like he was taking it. Up until May last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

FitzShane wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the journo tweet (can't remember who it was - maybe Paul Joyce?) that said that Klopp wanted Oblak.

Agent Coulsen probably has it stored somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp can't wave a magic wand to make a brilliant keeper sign, likewise, he couldn't do it last summer to make a CB appear when the Virgil deal fell through. But many fans were angry that we didn't buy SOMEONE.

Klopp doesn't work like that and possibly more importantly the owners don't work like that. They are businessmen. If they had done what fans wanted then we would have another CB for let's say 25/30million sitting on the bench on huge wages which is not what any club or business wants. The club accepted possible poor results on the pitch for 6 months until they got Virgil in and were happy to keep their money in their pocket.

I feel it's the same situation here. If they can get the keeper they want they will. If they can't well they are not wasting any money on sloppy seconds and will accept more mistakes from Karius until his superior replacement is found.

Klopp has said more than once that he will only bring in players that will improve the squad, and those players have to be available, affordable and want to come to too.

But as has been shown before Klopp will talk up and defend current players hugely to the media but we don't know what exactly is going on in private.

Ya all well and good but this fella can't even catch a ball though.

Go with Ward as number 1 at the start, I'll be happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ardent wrote: »
    Klopp will be making a big mistake if he persists with Karius. The team's confidence will be shot early in the season with this calamity between the sticks.

What do you mean by persist? As in have Karius there instead of using Migs or Ward?

We only have 3 keepers, so it is going to have to be one of them.

I hope that he is only 'persisting' with one of them until a superior replacement comes in, whether that is this summer, January or next summer.

But at this stage I certainly don't believe Klopp will persist with Karius as in thinking "this is my number 1 guy for the next few years"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I cant and dont believe that anyone actually wants karius to be our number one. I am happy for him to be number one if it is a question of him or "taking a punt" on a keeper who has done well for someone else. You cant guarantee that any signing will be a success but if we replace him it will be with a keeper where there is very little doubt of his success.

Lets say we are liked with a keeper. Leta call him tilibano. He is the peru number one and has played for spartak for the last three years. He has 80 clean sheets in that time and has a save ratio of 4 per game. He has a release clause of 30 million. Sounds like a great signing on paper. But nobody is considering factors such as how defensive spartak are. Do they play with just two center backs and their wing backs in the final third at times? Does he face strikers of a similar quality to the premier league? What age is he so is he as far along or further along than karius.

People are picking out names and saying we should sign them without considering all the factors. That is the rubbish recruiting the signed downing and enrique. I for one am happy we have moved away from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He wasn't even raging after,head down, defeated..not a good sign at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Well, it didnt take long for another karius f*ckup.
    Some people saw nothing wrong with the warm-up video against chester where he let two shots drop. Wondering why he was being 'targeted'. Well, this is exactly the reason that was highlighted. What he's doing /or not doing on the training ground is transferring onto the pitch.

It was the same with Sturridge warming up last year i think. I remember bringing it up here. He was just going through the motions of stretching while the rest of the team were pushing themselves to the limit.
    They might not seem like much, but its the little tell tale signs that can give something away about where the players i mentally/physically.

I dont think i can say any more about Karius that hasnt been said, hes doing his talking out on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Shaqiri deal looks set to wrap up soon. Club has opened negotiations with Wilson and/or Ojo going the opposite direction.

Via the Telegraph, Liverpool Echo, Guardian etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Well, it didnt take long for another karius f*ckup.
    Some people saw nothing wrong with the warm-up video against chester where he let two shots drop. Wondering why he was being 'targeted'. Well, this is exactly the reason that was highlighted. What he's doing /or not doing on the training ground is transferring onto the pitch.

It was the same with Sturridge warming up last year i think. I remember bringing it up here. He was just going through the motions of stretching while the rest of the team were pushing themselves to the limit.
    They might not seem like much, but its the little tell tale signs that can give something away about where the players i mentally/physically.

I dont think i can say any more about Karius that hasnt been said, hes doing his talking out on the pitch.

I think the vast don't give a crap about warm up is it is that a warm up. It's what happens in the match that counts. I would like to see the AC Milan goalkeeper myself or maybe he could start Ward this season and see. I like what I see when I see him pmay

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote: »
    I cant and dont believe that anyone actually wants karius to be our number one. I am happy for him to be number one if it is a question of him or "taking a punt" on a keeper who has done well for someone else. You cant guarantee that any signing will ................

He's no better than Mignolet.
    Mignolet hasn't had a chance to play much games with a back 4 containing Virgil and Robertson.

Karius is quite likely the worst of our 3 keepers IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ward obviously isn't good enough , if was he'd have got a chance already due to the state of the goal keeping from Karius and Migs so I wouldn't hold much hope for him

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Karius looks absolutely shot of all confidence, certainly not helped by all the abuse received from the twitter hero's, and it is a massive problem.

Karius just isn't a good enough keeper. Even if we accept that he did have concussion in the final and that is the explanation, as Klopp put it, for the sh*tshow in Kiev, his performances were still suspect up to the IMO. Take the Roma games for example; at Anfield he got away with Kolarov's shot, a howler similar to Bales shot, that was before we took them apart, it potentially could have been different if we had went behind. In the second leg, whilst not been commanding throughout the game, what sticks in mind was his rashness in taking down Dzeko potentially resulting in a penalty and red card and was only saved by an incorrect offside decision. A few weeks previously his rashness also led to a penalty for Crystal Palace when he clattered in Zaha, I think. This was during a spell when his form was supposedly good. Last season, I can only barely recall 2 or 3 times where I thought that was a good save/block as opposed to a save you would expect a professional keeper to make.

Klopp is now in a difficult position and evern his comments last night sounded weary. Does he stick to his principles and wait for a preferred target, like he did with Van Dijk, or replace Karius now? I think we all know the answer and as his comments suggest he is prepared to wait. You have to admire him for that but it could cost us. So far Karius hasn't demonstrated the ability or mentality to bounce back. That might seem harsh based on one mistake in a preseason friendly and a video of him dropping balls in the warmup but his body language just doesn't look good.

But I think we will have to prepare ourselves to see him start against West Ham come August and in fairness Klopp hasn't got too much wrong so far so lets see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Does anyone else reckon that James Pearce of the Echo is out of the loop now with regards to transfer targets ?

Seems to be a bit off the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Does anyone else reckon that James Pearce of the Echo is out of the loop now with regards to transfer targets ?

Not sure if he is out of the loop or not but definitely less reporting done since the Van Dijk debacle last year. Whether that is down to a club decision to keep quiet or an agreement from the Echo not to report until LFC say so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

CB is a bit different to GK.

I'd rather be in a position now where we're looking to move on Matip or maybe Klavan, and have Lovren, VVD, New Guy We Bought Last Summer, and Gomez and the other one for cover.

You can only have one goalkeeper, and they can't really get games sprinkled in with rotation, other than the odd cup game, whereas we'd have had no problem accomodating two new CBs last season.

It's difficult to say Klopp made a mistake when he knows what he's about, we had a good season, and we don't have all the information, but I struggle to think of how we would've been worse off if we'd signed a CB last summer.

GKs are trickier. You can easily sign a dud for big money and it might just be down to a loss of confidence. Keepers don't have an easy a time of it of just getting to do the basics until they find their feet. They are completely reactive as a position, so if the **** hits the fan, they're either ready or they make a fool of themselves, and deepen the pit they're in.

If worse comes to worst, and Karius is still in bits at the start of the season, I'd be happy to see Ward step up, rather than sign someone I don't have complete confidence in.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Most of the so called reliables don't really state anymore who we are actually interested in. They seem to be happy enough to dispel rumours about targets, and to just be the first (of a few) to confirm concrete happenings. Their pieces about targets are often long term strategy types, such as 'Klopp wants to target a midfielder and a centre back this summer' type pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I think the vast don't give a crap about warm up is it is that a warm up. It's what happens in the match that counts. I would like to see the AC Milan goalkeeper myself or maybe he could start Ward this season and see. I like what I see when I see him pmay

Thats where the vast are wrong. The proof/point is if you're not putting it in off the pitch then thats gonna show up on the pitch. If you're making mistakes in a warm up that will carry over into the game itself. As karius has proven.
    One affects the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shaqiri is a pretty decent squad signing at that price and I also still think myself we will sign Fekir and Alisson.

Add a CB to the summer signings and that will be a really good window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The club itself have kept info indoors rather than the leaks of the past. In one way its better but the press will run with any old story now to generate a story of a signing on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Can Millie play in goal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Ste- wrote: »
    Can Millie play in goal ?

That's not a pre-requisite to be a Liverpool Goalkeeper apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I would be more concerned about the effect Karius could have on our defence.
    If they are not confident in his ability, it can impact their decision making, instead of having a tight back 5, it ends up a 4 + 1, where the 4 try to over protect the 1.
    Only time will tell, but ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

The fact that Karius had been the topic of discussion on this thread for so long says it all for me. He isn't good enough - move him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

If Liverpool were one of a number of clubs in for me and I saw the way we as a fanbase pile on our players, making videos go viral of their mistakes in preseason training and opposing players calling one of ours **** , I don't think I'd bother signing .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I looked at some ''highlights'' from his time at FSV Mainz . Karius can not hold a shot, every clip is a save, but also a spilled ball. The guy could not catch a cold.
    Even at Liverpool he catches nothing, even a timid cross. The guy can't hold a shot, and he never could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

If Liverpool were one of a number of clubs in for me and I saw the way we as a fanbase pile on our players, making videos go viral of their mistakes in preseason training and opposing players calling one of ours **** , I don't think I'd bother signing .

Worst fans in the world obviously.

In fairness I'm sure every club does the exact same thing. That's Social media's fault, guy with 23 followers has a voice now and will spout drivel in the hope of getting some attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Worst fans in the world obviously.

In fairness I'm sure every club does the exact same thing. That's Social media's fault, guy with 23 followers has a voice now and will spout drivel in the hope of getting some attention.

Yeh probably, but as Klopp seems to be sticking with him until 'the right player' comes along ala VVD, it would be really awesome if we didn't do our rivals fans work for them by making one of our own players an even greater figure of ridicule then he already was just before the season starts. All for the sake of a few likes or retweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Can you play in goal?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Final straw last night. No point in even sticking with him until the right keeper comes along.

Give Ward a shot. Fc*k it even give Migs another shot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement