Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Said the Mig! :D

Something we havn't considered is an ethic Albanian in the same squad as a Serb.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yeh probably, but as Klopp seems to be sticking with him until 'the right player' comes along ala VVD, it would be really awesome if we didn't do our rivals fans work for them by making one of our own players an even greater figure of ridicule then he already was just before the season starts. All for the sake of a few likes or retweets.

Most don't, but the loudest get the most attention on these things. Most people, while not saying he is good enough, want no part in the poison that goes on at times on twitter and the likes. I'm not talking about people saying in places that he isn't good enough, but online anonymity for something like this is poison and allows the cowards to be vocal in a horrible manner. It's not just Liverpool fans, but some are most definitely among that number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Liverpool were one of a number of clubs in for me and I saw the way we as a fanbase pile on our players, making videos go viral of their mistakes in preseason training and opposing players calling one of ours **** , I don't think I'd bother signing .

"Wow there's that many zeros on my contract" where do I sign!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

On preseason, are Liverpool coming to Dublin this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

James Pearce talking as if it's a done deal

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1016978506348138496

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

cjmc wrote: »
    On preseason, are Liverpool coming to Dublin this year?

Yep, 6th of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

x43r0 wrote: »
    James Pearce talking as if it's a done deal

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1016978506348138496

His tweet is a bit odd. I like Pearce but if you click the link, it says the club has opened negotiations and that the player favours the move but is currently on holiday and that no negotiation has taken place.

His tweet makes it seem like he will be announced this evening or something. Perhaps it will but the article certainly makes it sound like there's a while to go in the negotiation yet, especially if Stoke are hopeful of taking one of our lads in exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I cant believe that people are honestly saying give ward a shot. He is the exact same age as karius. He had played 3 games of top flight football compared to well over 100 the karius has played.

While you may not think karius is good enough and i dont think many disagree, you cant compare ward to him. Ward is untested. He is well behind in his development and we cant trust him to be our number one. At least with karius we went months with one of the best defences in the league.

Its not as simple as lets get rid of Karius. We need someone to play. He us better than migs and younger. He is the same age as ward and has much more experience. Like it or not he is the best we have.

And whats this rubbish about Allison by the way? I mean i understand if he wants madrid ahead of us but i refuse to believe he wants chelsea ahead of us. Surely if madrid are not in for him then we are the next best option? Spend the fekir money on him or oblak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr.H wrote: »
    I cant believe that people are honestly saying give ward a shot. He is the exact same age as karius. He had played 3 games of top flight football compared to well over 100 the karius has played.

While you may not think karius is good enough and i dont think many disagree, you cant compare ward to him. Ward is untested. He is well behind in his development and we cant trust him to be our number one. At least with karius we went months with one of the best defences in the league.

Its not as simple as lets get rid of Karius. We need someone to play. He us better than migs and younger. He is the same age as ward and has much more experience. Like it or not he is the best we have.

And whats this rubbish about Allison by the way? I mean i understand if he wants madrid ahead of us but i refuse to believe he wants chelsea ahead of us. Surely if madrid are not in for him then we are the next best option? Spend the fekir money on him or oblak

Jorginho wants Chelsea ahead of City now. Money talks at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Said the Mig! :D

Something we havn't considered is an ethic Albanian in the same squad as a Serb.
    I like the planes

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Jorginho wants Chelsea ahead of City now. Money talks at the end of the day.

Poor old City eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This is a huge issue and one I keep mentioning. If we are nervous watching mig/karius in goal . Imagine what its like having to play in front of them. You need a commanding keeper somebody that a player will feel they can trust if you have either of our two jokers playing behind you, your decision making will be influenced by them and that's the last thing you need as a defender. Ill go back to the first game of last season Watford away. Panic in our defence from corners and it comes from the keeper not doing what he should be doing.Karius when he got back in made a couple of decent saves that's it his new found form was nothing to get excited about. What we have seen so far from him in pre season is no surprise. I find it hard to believe klopp will not be able to find a much better keeper than what we have. Every team and opposition fans will target karius and I can only see it end one way. He is at the club 2 years and has proved time and time again he is nowhere near the standard of the rest of our starting eleven. I see our keepers as bad as when we had moreno as our first choice lb.

Poor old City eh?

Never said anything like that. Just Mr H said why would Alison join Chelsea over us, and the main reason would be money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

City had personal terms agreed with Jorginho.
    City are the current champions and are in the CL.
    Chelsea finished 5th last season and are not in the CL.
    Chelsea came in with a higher offer than City.

Money talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

As I said when VVD was eventually brought in, and it proved to be the right decision to wait for the right man.. Klopp works in mysterious ways.

There is no point second guessing his methods, or fretting about an under-performing first team player. I have learnt to be zen-like and wait on the great man to make his move. Any other course of action is just wasted energy.
    tinpib wrote: »
    Klopp can't wave a magic wand to make a brilliant keeper sign, likewise, he couldn't do it last summer to make a CB appear when the Virgil deal fell through. But many fans were angry that we didn't buy SOMEONE.

Klopp doesn't work like that and possibly more importantly the owners don't work like that. They are businessmen. If they had done what fans wanted then we would have another CB for let's say 25/30million sitting on the bench on huge wages which is not what any club or business wants. The club accepted possible poor results on the pitch for 6 months until they got Virgil in and were happy to keep their money in their pocket.

And it looks like they have been proved correct.

I feel it's the same situation here. If they can get the keeper they want they will. If they can't well they are not wasting any money on sloppy seconds and will accept more mistakes from Karius until his superior replacement is found.

Klopp has said more than once that he will only bring in players that will improve the squad, and those players have to be available, affordable and want to come to too.

But as has been shown before Klopp will talk up and defend current players hugely to the media but we don't know what exactly is going on in private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Pretty harsh on the Scottish Premiership there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shaqiri another name to keep the likes of Woodburn, Wilson and Brewster off the bench and out of match squads. Would really like to give them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Shaqiri another name to keep the likes of Woodburn, Wilson and Brewster off the bench and out of match squads. Would really like to give them a chance.

If they're good enough they will get in the squad on merit no matter how old they are.

FitzShane wrote: »
    City had personal terms agreed with Jorginho.
    City are the current champions and are in the CL.
    Chelsea finished 5th last season and are not in the CL.
    Chelsea came in with a higher offer than City.

Money talks.

Interesting one, I think Jorginho saw that nailing down a regular spot at City would be hard even if Fernandino is getting on, Chelsea will have Kante and Drinkwater, but the latter will clearly stay on the bench and if a mad offer is made then they'll let Kante go I'd say and Sarri (?) who of course managed him at Napoili would want to have him and have more use for two fairly defensive mids in any event. No really Guardiolas style, hence Masch at CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Will be delighted with Shaquri at that price.

He will need to buy into Klopp's philosophy but I can see it happening.

Henderson
    Sturridge
    Lallana
    Mignolet
    Origi
    Klavan
    Moreno
    Ings
    Grujic
    Markovic
    Randall

Probably 700,000 a week to keep those benchwarmers .Every last one needs to leave and 4 decent players brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Henderson
    Sturridge
    Lallana
    Mignolet
    Origi
    Klavan
    Moreno
    Ings
    Grujic
    Markovic
    Randall

Probably 700,000 a week to keep those benchwarmers .Every last one needs to leave and 4 decent players brought in.

wtf....

wtf....

Henderson
    Sturridge - off
    Lallana
    Mignolet -off
    Origi - off?
    Klavan
    Moreno
    Ings - off
    Grujic - loan to Cardiff it looks like
    Markovic - off
    Randall - off

So four of them likely to stay!

wtf....

Lallana will never be the same, too old now. Henderson is a good lad, but that's about all. We need to upgrade to be serious title challengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Henderson
    Sturridge
    Lallana
    Mignolet
    Origi
    Klavan
    Moreno
    Ings
    Grujic
    Markovic
    Randall

Henderson will be going no where ,
    Fan are mad, the lad would walk into any Prem squad and make them stronger why the F*CK would we want rid,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Exclusive | RMC's @Tanziloic on Nabil Fékir & Liverpool: "Liverpool will come back for him after the World Cup."
    https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1017042444217700352

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Said it before n I'll say it again,Roma keeper is not in the top bracket of keepers ,yes hes better than what we have..but not 50-60 million better,I'd hate to spend that on him and still have a 'not great' keeper as our no 1

TitianGerm wrote:
    Never said anything like that. Just Mr H said why would Alison join Chelsea over us, and the main reason would be money.

Of course but surely we can compete with chelsea financially?

8-10 wrote:

It really isnt. Its on par with the bottom half of the championship at best. Take celtic out and its the same standard as league one.

• Advertisement

Lallana will never be the same, too old now. Henderson is a good lad, but that's about all. We need to upgrade to be serious title challengers.

Henderson starts whenever he is fit. That wont change. Lallana is a great squad player and would easily get into most premier league first teams

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm sure for most players, clubs will have a max they are willing to spend on a player, not necessarily the most they can spend on them, so if Chelsea offer wages 50% above what we agree to pay and we refuse to budge, he'll likely go to Chelsea.

5starpool wrote: »

I'm sure for most players, clubs will have a max they are willing to spend on a player, not necessarily the most they can spend on them, so if Chelsea offer wages 50% above what we agree to pay and we refuse to budge, he'll likely go to Chelsea.
    Chelsea don't really have a wage structure and some players are on mad money,
    London is a huge factor to
    Plus Allison is from Brazil they normally just follow the cash and don't really care about the club they join, Look at China full of good Brazilians in there prime ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

To not sign a goalkeeper would be gross negligence by Klopp and the club.

Dont buy into this ****e that is being spun that the keepers we are after are out of our price range. Remember the tv money, champions league money and the Coutinho money is all there. Take the cheque book out and get us a reliable goalkeeper in.

ricero wrote: »

Dont buy into this ****e that is being spun that the keepers we are after are out of our price range. Remember the tv money, champions league money and the Coutinho money is all there. Take the cheque book out and get us a reliable goalkeeper in.

Nobody said Allison was out of our price range. What has been said is that it's possible the club don't feel he's worth the fee Roma are asking.

Personally I haven't been impressed with him for the money mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote:

Remember how long it took us to sort out left back. Milner spent an entire season there cause we ignored it.
    I thought after the last game of the season we'd go for 2 things a goalkeeper obviously & someone who could be put in for Mane and Salah if either (God forbid) got injured. Not sure Shakiri is the like for like replacement for the pace our front 3 plays at & Klopp's quotes in the post match yesterday won't leave me holding my breath on a goalie now either.
    Month left in the window and the prices ain't going down now. Best we can hope for is Real buy one and go for Navas. Something will have to fall into our laps on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ricero wrote: »

Oblak is probably unattainable and I personally don't think Alisson is worth what's been asked.

While appreciate the club don't want a stop gap in the squad that has to be replaced next season, the goalkeeper spot has been a problem position since Reina left and has developed to a serious problem that need's to addressed this summer in some capacity. Klopp has no faith in Mignolet and Karius is a disaster that has already happened.

If Klopp is serious about challenging for the league, it has to be sorted.

Alisson is overrated a good keeper but not worth the money but the problem is any club know Liverpool need a keepers so money goes up ,
    I'd lover to get the young lad at Milan while also signing someone like the Croatia keeper or Sommer , and get rid of both Migs and Karius total fresh approach ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Thats where the vast are wrong. The proof/point is if you're not putting it in off the pitch then thats gonna show up on the pitch. If you're making mistakes in a warm up that will carry over into the game itself. As karius has proven.
    One affects the other.

Just wondering do you watch every warm up you can or just warm ups with Karius?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

We've already upgraded chief. Henderson will be a great option next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

FFS lads give most the time complaining about our weak bench & young lads being on it & we get linked to signing a quality international player to be back up & there still complaining

We've already upgraded chief. Henderson will be a great option next season.

Indeed, 2 from Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Wij and Milner for the 2 CM positions.

1 from Lallana, Ox, Henderson ..... maybe Wij or Shaqiri also for the 3rd midfileder if we continue with 4 3 3 formation.

7 players 3 positions.

Not to mention Grujic etc

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, 2 from Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Wij and Milner for the 2 CM positions.

1 from Lallana, Ox, Henderson ..... maybe Wij or Shaqiri also for the 3rd midfileder if we continue with 4 3 3 formation.

7 players 3 positions.

Not to mention Grujic etc

And Fekir if that goes through after the World Cup.

Grujic will probably go on loan to Cardiff again.

It was mentioned that the fact Karius cost sfa should somehow be considered in the fact that him turning out to be fairly crap isn't a huge issue or something along those lines.

I'm not overly bothered what players cost, of course expensive signings are expected to perform to an extent but if you announce a keeper as your #1 the fact he cost SFA isn't a factor IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We'll be starting the season light in midfield if you ask me, so no midfielders can leave with what we have right now.

Gini - getting linked with a move away
    Ox - is gone until November/December
    Henderson - will likely get three weeks off before he's back in pre season
    If we even do sign Fekir - same as Henderson

That leaves us
    Fabinho & Keita - new to the team/league but have a pre season in them
    Milner - he's 32 now and has been playing PL football since 16. Those legs might be fit but have lots of miles on them.
    Lallana - could get injured at any moment.

Now that's worst case scenario, no other mids in and Gini out but it's light until we get everyone back. Lots of our rivals are in worse situations with players getting back late but no need to hurt ourselves by selling first team players. There's very few players I'd let leave this year until we've strengthened a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Gross negligence...heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

8-10 wrote: »

Also while not top flight did very well at Huddersfield

Fromvert wrote: »
    We'll be starting the season light in midfield if you ask me, so no midfielders can leave with what we have right now.

That leaves us
    Milner - he's 32 now and has been playing PL football since 16. Those legs might be fit but have lots of miles on them.

Now that's worst case scenario, no other mids in and Gini out but it's light until we get everyone back. Lots of our rivals are in worse situations with players getting back late but no need to hurt ourselves by selling first team players. There's very few players I'd let leave this year until we've strengthened a lot more.

This is news to me, sources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fromvert wrote: »

That leaves us

So we're starting light in midfield as you've gone worst case scenario on each player.
    Gini is only a rumour. Started 40 games last season so I don't believe he's going anywhere.
    Milner is fit as a fiddle and will be fine.
    Henderson can go straight in to the side when back.
    Lallana: Any player can get injured at any moment.

Hopefully get Shaqiri too and that will help, so I think we'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Fabinho/Hendo/Milner
    Keita/Hendo/Gini/Milner
    Fekir/Lallana/Gini

then add Ox-Cham in and there's plenty of options.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement