Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

MD1990 wrote: »
    Would love to see Croatia win it.

Incredible achievement population of only 4 million.

Not much between Ireland and Croatia in terms of Population and Area size, Its a pity Ireland cant compete like the Croats in the major competitions.

Then again I'd say Croatia can probably call on a larger group of players from other break away countries in the old Yugoslavia region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Not much between Ireland and Croatia in terms of Population and Area size, Its a pity Ireland cant compete like the Croats in the major competitions.

Then again I'd say Croatia can probably call on a larger group of players from other break away countries in the old Yugoslavia region.

Plus their kids aren't also torn between playing GAA and Rugby leaving Croatia with a much bigger pool of football playing talent to choose from Vs Ireland.

What's the big alternative to playing soccer in Croatia? Olympic wrestling??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Plus their kids aren't also torn between playing GAA and Rugby leaving Croatia with a much bigger pool of football playing talent to choose from Vs Ireland.

What's the big alternative to playing soccer in Croatia? Olympic wrestling??

Mentioned it in match thread, but basetball, ice hockey and handball are all very popular in Croatia. Obviously football is well ahead in terms of the number of players - as it is in Ireland - but the others are still major draws.

Was over in Zagreb when some league basketball game was on (wasn't a final or anything), and the whole place was going mad for it, at least GAA levels of interest, and much more than you'd see for a club rugby match. They're ranked in the top ten in the world in handball too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Most fans probably support a Croatian team instead of one from a neighbouring country like we do. And I say that as a Liverpool supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Mentioned it in match thread, but basetball, ice hockey and handball are all very popular in Croatia. Obviously football is well ahead in terms of the number of players - as it is in Ireland - but the others are still major draws.

Was over in Zagreb when some league basketball game was on (wasn't a final or anything), and the whole place was going mad for it, at least GAA levels of interest, and much more than you'd see for a club rugby match.

I haven't done the research but I doubt they have basketball clubs in every parish in Croatia or a centralised organisation with anything like the clout of the GAA.

People sometimes feel it as an excuse but I really think we are special cases when it comes to competing sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

noodler wrote: »
    I haven't done the research but I doubt they have basketball clubs in every parish in Croatia or a centralised organisation with anything like the clout of the GAA.

People sometimes feel it as an excuse but I really think we are special cases when it comes to competing sports.

Sorry, that was poorly written - I meant the furore over that one random league match was equal to what you see on any given GAA match weekend here.

No one is saying they have the same level of competition for players as we do, but I was responding to a post intimating there was no competition. There are scales. But football is clearly not the only sport hoovering up players there. Their basketball and hockey leagues must be up to some sort of decent standard at least, for the NBA and NHL to steal players from them occasionally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The difference is that getting a trial with a club, any club, in England is the holy grail for any Irish kid, even if it's some 2nd division jokeshop where the training consists of hoofing it up to the big lad, 'getting it in the mixer', 'getting stuck in' etc. When you send talented 15 and 16 year olds abroad to live in digs in some god forsaken post-industrial kip it's no wonder the majority come back disillusioned and quit the game.
    Even with the popularity of other sports, we should still always have at least one world class player, a few more 7.5/8s and some solid pros filling out the national team-just like Croatia.

Blame the FAI and no one else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Well, it didnt take long for another karius f*ckup.
    Some people saw nothing wrong with the warm-up video against chester where he let two shots drop. Wondering why he was being 'targeted'. Well, this is exactly the reason that was highlighted. What he's doing /or not doing on the training ground is transferring onto the pitch.

It was the same with Sturridge warming up last year i think. I remember bringing it up here. He was just going through the motions of stretching while the rest of the team were pushing themselves to the limit.
    They might not seem like much, but its the little tell tale signs that can give something away about where the players i mentally/physically.

I dont think i can say any more about Karius that hasnt been said, hes doing his talking out on the pitch.

100%. Need a new keeper in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've tried saying "World Cup winner, Dejan Lovern" out loud and it just sounds daft

It does sound daft. Lovren ffs! Still though, I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

He is a big mouth at the best of times, imagine him with a WC winners medal in every social media pic. Unbearable.
    It's only the thought of Giroud with the World Cup in his hands that could allow me to back Croatia.

Have to admire him in a way. He had the belief in himself to big head his way out of his awful form. Poor oul Karius is the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Lovren was really good second half onwards, one last ditch clearance especially

Hope he does it Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

**** me, what's he going to do in the final after that spectacular, fully-operational-Death-Star of a self-jinx? Perfect hat-trick of OGs, before killing Modric stone-dead with a bicycle kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

corwill wrote: »
    **** me, what's he going to do in the final after that spectacular, fully-operational-Death-Star of a self-jinx? Perfect hat-trick of OGs, before killing Modric stone-dead with a bicycle kick?

Or worse, allow Giroud score even though he hasn't had a shot on target at the world cup yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

They are pretty handy at water polo too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia_men%27s_national_water_polo_team

and tennis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Thud wrote: »
    They are pretty handy at water polo too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia_men%27s_national_water_polo_team

and tennis

Look, you'd swear Ireland is the only country on the planet where more than one sport is played. It's a horse**** excuse, really. Football is simply administered appallingly here, from top to bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really don't agree with this. Other countries have different sports to contend with.

The problem in Ireland is not numbers as then China should beat India in every world cup but quality and development.

The youth set up in Ireland is poor and clubs are badly funded by the FAI.

I'm sure if you were to look at how players are developed and how clubs operate it would be very different to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really don't agree with this. Other countries have different sports to contend with.

The problem in Ireland is not numbers as then China should beat India in every world cup but quality and development.

I'm sure if you were to look at how players are developed and how clubs operate it would be very different to here.

I think the fundamental difference between Croatia and Ireland is that there is no translation in the Croatian language for "Shur, it'll be grand."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

That new third kit is rotten. I will definitely only be getting the home kit this season.

https://twitter.com/NBFootball/status/1017302539509944320?s=19

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Some dodgy Italian source suggesting we have made a bid of 60m _5m in add ons for Allison. Roma holding out for 70m. Dodgy Italian sources are considered reliable, aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Roma will end up selling Alisson to someone.

If Real don't want him we have a great chance.

Imagine the craic if we signed Allison and he missed a cross in the last minute against West Ham and Any Carroll headed home an equaliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

MD1990 wrote: »
    Roma will end up selling Alisson to someone.

If Real don't want him we have a great chance.

I can't be the only person who thinks he's vastly overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

what do you think of Butland? think i'd prefer him to Alisson, wasn't particlarly blown away by Allison although never seen much of him in action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I can't be the only person who thinks he's vastly overrated.

Been out of form a bit last few months.

Was incredible before that especially against Shaktar & Napoli in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

5starpool wrote: »
    Imagine the craic if we signed Allison and he missed a cross in the last minute against West Ham and Any Carroll headed home an equaliser.

I'd rather that than another round of Karius concussion jokes anyway.

Knex. wrote: »

True. Something has to be better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'm apathetic about Karius but if him going means we can put this never ending discussion to bed then ship him out ta ****. Sick of seeing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just wondering do you watch every warm up you can or just warm ups with Karius?

Whatever warm ups are shown. They usually broadcast a bit before the matches. Have a look next time you might spot something.

What do people think of Allisson?

I've only seen him a few times for Roma in the CL and in the World Cup in Brazil and he does not strike me as a €70m keeper.

Is it just hype? Am I missing something?

• Advertisement

Dave Maddock of the Mirror (he who said Fekir is still pushing for the move) says we have definitely not bid for Allison and any interest we had has definitely cooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

So, we're back in for Fekir or more so he's saying he still wants the move? It's a bit confusing because I thought we passed up on him because of a dodgy medical? That was never to my knowledge confirmed but people were definitely taking it as gospel. Surely the deal would be dead in the water if the medical rumours were true.

Knex. wrote: »

Same as everyone joking that Lovren does an interview and then plays crap. Not really true and fair play to him, he does take enough $hit so let him have a pop back, no denying that he's achieved alot in the last year. Let him come back full of confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So, we're back in for Fekir or more so he's saying he still wants the move? It's a bit confusing because I thought we passed up on him because of a dodgy medical? That was never to my knowledge confirmed but people were definitely taking it as gospel. Surely the deal would be dead in the water if the medical rumours were true.

They might be willing to take the chance if they can get the price lowered or Fekir was willing to alter his wages to be more geared towards appearances etc.
    Don't think it's confusing at all.

All just speculation of varying reliability. Allegedly Fekir has told Aulas that he wants the move to Liverpool and to re-open talks. It seems like it is the structure of the deal, not the fee that is potentially to be agreed again. That or else Liverpool have fully pulled out of the deal because of old injury concerns and no restructuring of terms will change that. Who knows.

So if the rumours are true regards previous injuries and an inability to train much, would people be happy to spunk the money on what was described in here as another Sturridge. I guess the club and club doctors will know what they're doing!. Maybe the injury rumours are all complete bs too.

I'm not overly bothered what players cost. Klopp and his team have a budget and it's up to them to spend it.

In saying that it's hard to get away from the price as it does sort of set an expectation level. ..............We expected a lot from Virgil and he's delivered :) Salah has delivered 4 fold on the expectation of him IMO :)

Ox cost £35m iirc and is on £120k/week, bought with a year left on his contract. As good as he's been (far, far better than I'd have expected due to his Arsenal form) he's about what you'd expect from that wad of cash.

Matip and Karius were decent signings if you consider they cost effectively nothing or very close to it. If either had cost £20m+ back when they were signed they'd be brutal signings. If either are were sold shortly they wouldn't fetch £20m IMO :)

It's like anything, spend more and you expect more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ah Lovren.

you weren't even very good yesterday.

if England were in any way competent, they'd have been 3 goals up at half time.

if the referee was in any way competent, you'd have been booked and on a tightrope from midway through the first half, and certainly by half time.

you are not one of the best defenders in the world (unless 'one of the best' means top 50), and believing it, in your case, doesn't make you any better, so please stop.

Christ Almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

SlickRic wrote: »
    ah Lovren.

you weren't even very good yesterday.

if England were in any way competent, they'd have been 3 goals up at half time.

if the referee was in any way competent, you'd have been booked and on a tightrope from midway through the first half, and certainly by half time.

you are not one of the best defenders in the world (unless 'one of the best' means top 50), and believing it, in your case, doesn't make you any better, so please stop.

Christ Almighty.

That's a bit harsh, he's just gotten to a world cup final, the pinnacle of any footballers career and gave some back to the media who have ridiculed him before as he's just knocked out their darlings.
    On his day he can be one of the world's best, but he always has that brain fart moment in him that can ruin the previous 5/6 great games. Hopefully he'll still be smiling come Sunday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    They might be willing to take the chance if they can get the price lowered or Fekir was willing to alter his wages to be more geared towards appearances etc.
    Don't think it's confusing at all.

I think it's more XX% upfront + XX% per year of the contract, 50% + 10% x 5 for example. If he gets a serious re-occurrence in year 2 then LFC are less exposed.

murpho999 wrote: »

Heading very OT now but Ireland has loads of sports, cricket, tennis, badminton, big athletics scene etc.

But Gaa (both forms) and rugby are absolutely huge.

.red. wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh, he's just gotten to a world cup final, the pinnacle of any footballers career and gave some back to the media who have ridiculed him before as he's just knocked out their darlings.
    On his day he can be one of the world's best, but he always has that brain fart moment in him that can ruin the previous 5/6 great games. Hopefully he'll still be smiling come Sunday evening

i don't think it's harsh.

he's measuring himself as 'one of the best in the world'. that is a level occupied by the likes of Ramos, Varane, Godin, Silva, Vertonghen, Hummels, Chiellini IMO.

if you're saying you're one of the best in the world, harshness comes with that territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,283 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

SlickRic wrote: »
    i don't think it's harsh.

he's measuring himself as 'one of the best in the world'. that is a level occupied by the likes of Ramos, Varane, Godin, Silva, Vertonghen, Hummels, Chiellini IMO.

if you're saying you're one of the best in the world, harshness comes with that territory.

lost me at Vertonghen

Cyrus wrote: »
    lost me at Vertonghen

fair enough. you disagree with one name. my point stands.

and I'd take Vertonghen tomorrow over Lovren. in a fúcking heartbeat.

Jesus Lovren.

"I took Liverpool to the CL final"

My god.

I think that was Salah, Mane and Firmino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well I hope Lovren wins the World Cup and gives a MOTM performance and then goes on social media and shoves the medal in the face of everyone who has abused him on those platforms.

Well I hope Lovren wins the World Cup and gives a MOTM performance and then goes on social media and shoves the medal in the face of everyone who has abused him on those platforms.

So do I.

It doesn't mean he's one of the best in the world though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Same as everyone joking that Lovren does an interview and then plays crap. Not really true and fair play to him, he does take enough $hit so let him have a pop back, no denying that he's achieved alot in the last year. Let him come back full of confidence.

He's been talking in the media pretty much after every game all year. It's going alright for him!

Wouldn't worry too much about an ecstatic, adrenaline pumped up statement of self admiration from Lovren after just getting to a WC final. I'm sure you're bound to feel good about yourself after that.

He'll be brought back down to earth with a howler against Huddersfield or Cardiff next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I hope he does too as it would be cruel for him to lose two high profile finals in the space of a couple of months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement