Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Did you ever think it might be just to put him in the shop window to get a bigger transfer fee instead of penny pinching?

Then buy him big for 60 million to make ricero happy.

Also don’t think I’ve ever seen Karius more concerned with his hair than being a goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ricero wrote: »
    Reeks of penny pinching if true.

All 3 of our goalkeepers are not good enough imo. Cash needs to splashed on a top class number 1.

Would u ever Fcuk off with those comments. If Klopp wants a new keeper and he’s happy for FSG to pay the price it gets done

I hate these penny pinching snide remarks towards FSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

corwill wrote: »
    If it was that standardised and automated, Suarez would have been togging out at Ashburton Grove in August 2013. Everything you say makes sense if one assumes a competently represented player making full use of their bargaining power, but that's an assumption.

He would have been, had he chosen to. That was completely up to him. Liverpool chose to not stand by their contract and to make life difficult, requiring a legal challenge from the player - which would undoubtedly have succeeded. He only stayed - and he's said this - after being convinced that bigger clubs would come calling the following year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He would have been, had he chosen to. That was completely up to him. Liverpool chose to not stand by their contract and to make life difficult, requiring a legal challenge from the player - which would undoubtedly have succeeded. He only stayed - and he's said this - after being convinced that bigger clubs would come calling the following year.
    Think it was Gerrard who convinced him to stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Only my opinion, but informed by experience in other industries, they could only have been in a position to threaten protracted litigation if there was sufficient ambiguity in the drafting of the buy-out/release clause to make a mandatory injunction unobtainable on a summary basis (and it wouldn't take a great deal of ambiguity, courts in common law jurisdictions are pretty lairy about what might amount to a perpetual order without proceedings having run their course to a plenary hearing) that would have gotten him out the gap in time for the start of the season. The choice to remain followed him being given the bad news by his own lawyers.

If memory serves, didn't Dnipro tell us to eff off despite seemingly having met the price of Konoplyanka's buy-out clause?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All 3 of our goalkeepers are not good enough imo. Cash needs to splashed on a top class number 1.

Allison isn't worth whats been asked and the club clearly think the same.

I can get behind ward getting a shot, I'm just not behind karius.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Did you ever think it might be just to put him in the shop window to get a bigger transfer fee instead of penny pinching?

Surely you don't mean playing Ward to sell him?
    The idea of rotating Mignolet & Karius like we have been doing is not the answer.
    Would u ever Fcuk off with those comments. If Klopp wants a new keeper and he’s happy for FSG to pay the price it gets done

I think the problem is we spend too much time in identifying what we need, even if it's blatantly obvious to the outside world.
    The goalies we've brought in the last few years have all been poor, often cheap signings. Mignolet, Jones, Bogdan, Manninger, Karius.
    Trying to get a goalie now is probably too late as if we had someone lined up we'd have bid but it is baffling to me if we aren't looking for one the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ERG89 wrote: »

I think the problem is we spend too much time in identifying what we need, even if it's blatantly obvious to the outside world.
    The goalies we've brought in the last few years have all been poor, often cheap signings. Mignolet, Jones, Bogdan, Manninger, Karius.
    Trying to get a goalie now is probably too late as if we had someone lined up we'd have bid but it is baffling to me if we aren't looking for one the last year.

Yes but as we have seen in the past with VVD and Kieta that Klopp wanted those players and waited. He didn't just go for the alternative to get a body in.
    This could be the same with GK, nobody knows and we can all (just like those on Twitter) speculate until the cows come home.

The only person knows what is going on is Klopp

Yes but as we have seen in the past with VVD and Kieta that Klopp wanted those players and waited. He didn't just go for the alternative to get a body in.
    This could be the same with GK, nobody knows and we can all (just like those on Twitter) speculate until the cows come home.

The only person knows what is going on is Klopp

And you'd think we'd have learned by now to just trust the guy's judgement.

A bunch of lads runnin' around;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Being reported Shaqiri will have his medical on Friday.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And you'd think we'd have learned by now to just trust the guy's judgement.

Tbf, most of us do. There’s just one or two who seem to have a sense of entitlement and feel Klopp should spend big on the latest name they’ve hardly seen play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Shaqiri medical booked in for tomorrow.

Delighted with this bit of buisness. Really believe Klopp can bring out the best from him and make him consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I have came around to Shaqiri.

Not his biggest fan but he is a talent has a great left foot. Klopp will instill work rate into him & improve his conditioning as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just sign someone! (and then someone else)

Just sign someone! (and then someone else)

Fekir and a new goalkeeper would be fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Delighted with this bit of buisness. Really believe Klopp can bring out the best from him and make him consistent.

A bit underpriced for your tastes, no? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I've no problem with klopp giving ward a chance,and I'm delighted with shaquiri business
    Can't believe the crap lovren came out with today what a complete dipstick he is, he's totally up his own hole and hasn't endeared himself to me one bit after that the ****ing idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

shamrock55 wrote: »
    hasn't endeared himself to me one bit after that the ****ing idiot

I'm sure he'll be up all night worrying now :pac:

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/PrometheusX1Z/status/1017529658588442625?s=19

I shouldn't laugh at this but I did. Hope Ward does ok

I've no problem with klopp giving ward a chance,and I'm delighted with shaquiri business
    Can't believe the crap lovren came out with today what a complete dipstick he is, he's totally up his own hole and hasn't endeared himself to me one bit after that the ****ing idiot

Why? And why do you think he's trying to endear himself to you, or anyone else?

He's very obviously a confidence player, and has consistently shown that on his day, he's as good as anyone around. He has the ability level of a world class centre back. The problems always come down to confidence and insecurity. If this is what he needs to do to keep his own confidence high, putting out a bullish front, then so be it. Confidence is a very fickle thing.

He was directly asked about how he feels after abuse earlier in the season, and then reaching the CL and WC finals, and he doubled down on his own self-belief and ability. Maybe some other players can put out some bland 'all part of the team blah blah blah' stuff, but obviously this doesn't work for him.

From all the other player interviews and stuff, he's clearly one of the most popular members of the team, so if it's not effecting them, and it helps him, I see nothing wrong with it.

Wonder how long before people are distancing themselves from calling for Ward to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

From this time last year dude........

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104345544&postcount=9101

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104345555&postcount=9102

:pac:

For the money, he can potentially make a huge contribution to the cause next season.

Turtyturd wrote:
    Wonder how long before people are distancing themselves from calling for Ward to start.

Probably longer than the people were defending Karius in the last few weeks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Turtyturd wrote: »

When’s our next pre-season match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why? And why do you think he's trying to endear himself to you, or anyone else?

He's very obviously a confidence player, and has consistently shown that on his day, he's as good as anyone around. He has the ability level of a world class centre back. The problems always come down to confidence and insecurity. If this is what he needs to do to keep his own confidence high, putting out a bullish front, then so be it. Confidence is a very fickle thing.

He was directly asked about how he feels after abuse earlier in the season, and then reaching the CL and WC finals, and he doubled down on his own self-belief and ability. Maybe some other players can put out some bland 'all part of the team blah blah blah' stuff, but obviously this doesn't work for him.

From all the other player interviews and stuff, he's clearly one of the most popular members of the team, so if it's not effecting them, and it helps him, I see nothing wrong with it.

First thing is he certainly doesn't have the ability of a world class cb,secondly anytime he gets a bit of confidence as you say he ****s up,if he's confident fair enough but he should keep that to himself,he's won **** all yet and him believing in his own hype won't end well because it's delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

daithijjj wrote: »

For the money, he can potentially make a huge contribution to the cause next season.

A welcome appearance of the brothers chuckle on this thread, great to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Personally have no idea if Ward is a suitable replacement for Karius, you'd like to think that he can't be much worse and might be better but only one way to find out I guess by giving him a run in the team.

• Advertisement

First thing is he certainly doesn't have the ability of a world class cb,secondly anytime he gets a bit of confidence as you say he ****s up,if he's confident fair enough but he should keep that to himself,he's won **** all yet and him believing in his own hype won't end well because it's delusional

I think you largely missed my point. Some players have natural inner confidence, and that's great for them. He clearly doesn't. He needs to externalize his confidence to make it real. He's not "believing his own hype". If anything, i'd say it's the opposite. Seems like he gets really strongly effected by low confidence, so doing something like this - pushing out the negative comments and reinforcing the positive - is how he deals with it.

And he gets interviewed a lot, because he speaks well and is an interesting guy. You only notice it when he ****s up, but he's given plenty of interviews where nothing happened after. Including before the CL final, during which he was probably our best player. He's put in plenty of top tier performances against top level opposition. It's the mental frailty that sees him collapse at times, so, again, perhaps he needs to do things this way to gain self belief.

Honestly, i can't see why you're getting so angry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,671 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

martyos121 wrote: »
    When’s our next pre-season match?

Saturday.
    https://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/2018-19/first-team/fixtures-and-results

Pretty sure Ward will get a run out at some point before the season starts. Full competition might take a while though, you would think.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Saturday.

Pretty sure Ward will get a run out at some point before the season starts. Full competition might take a while though, you would think.

Played a half in each game so far... reckon that'll be the same on Saturday, with him getting more time in the US on tour when they start giving 60+ minutes to players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

How are you still so negative, jesus christ man :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Saturday.

He has already played 2 half games, and probably will do the same on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Looking good for Shaqiri anyway with medical due today. I wonder where he lives exactly? If he lived north of Stoke towards Liverpool it could mean he wouldn't have to move house. Ideal circumstances to hit the ground running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

And IIRC being granted a new contract on increased wages which included a tailored release clause stating that should a non PL competitor wish to acquire Suarez who he wanted to join LFC would negotiate with them in good faith and not stand in his way.

............. training alone etc in advance of that contract seemed to help too iirc. FSG and the Rodgers :pac: did a right good job of that situation IMO

daithijjj wrote: »

Delighted for Shaqiri as a squad player not part of the starting 11 which i feel you were alluding to.

Shaqiri won't feature much at the start of the season.

He will need to work hard to get to the required condition to play our style of play. I am sure Klopp spoke to him before he arrived & showed where he needs to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

MD1990 wrote: »
    Shaqiri won't feature much at the start of the season.

He will need to work hard to get to the required condition to play our style of play. I am sure Klopp spoke to him before he arrived & showed where he needs to improve.

Similar to Ox. Took him a while to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I actually think if Shaqiri embraces Klopps philosophy of hard work and running he will play a lot of games for us next season.

There is no doubting his talent. When hes good he is excellent its a matter if getting him to be more consistent. Hopefully hes a bit older now and a few years at Stoke has taught him this is his last big chance. Great signing for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Salah, Mane & Grujic will fly to America with the rest of the squad for the games in America.

Fun Bobby will join up after the American tour in the 4 day training camp in France.

I'm guessing the 4 left at the World Cup will only rejoin close to when the season starts and miss out on preseason completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Delighted for Shaqiri as a squad player not part of the starting 11 which i feel you were alluding to.

With the amount of games we have this season, do we have a starting 11 anymore.

I think you'll see more chopping and changing this season rather than a settled 11.

I think Shaqiri will get plenty of game time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

ABK

Anyone but Karius

murpho999 wrote:

Other than midfield I don't see where we can change that much. The front 3 haven't got any like for like replacements that can press and attack with that pace, they are key to us. Van Dijk will have to play most games for us, same with Robertson & Alexander Arnold. Haven't much faith in Moreno & Clyne as backups, the latter missed a lot of time with the injury so it's hard to know where he is & Moreno is Moreno lest we forget. Great options in the midfield now with Keita & Fabinho.
    If Ward is a success on tour he plays every week the other 2 can sit on a board of nails for all I care about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm not that enthused about Shaqiri, but it's nice to have new shiny things to play with, and if nothing else, he has great memeing potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Clyne was great in his half against Chester (!) full of hard running in the opposition half obviously easy to do in that game but he is clearly fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Clyne was great in his half against Chester (!) full of hard running in the opposition half obviously easy to do in that game but he is clearly fit.

He was pretty robust until that mystery injury.

After Trent's appearance, I wonder how we approach RB.
    I'd be happy to see Clyne for away games and games against the better teams, and Trent when we're trying to be more aggressive with the ball.
    He's also a good attacking substitution if we want to leave the front 3/4 untouched.

I can't ****ing wait to see this team playing again.

murpho999 wrote: »

I think you'll see more chopping and changing this season rather than a settled 11.

I think Shaqiri will get plenty of game time.
    Not so sure he will unless Salah gets injured.

Shaqiri isn't very versatile always plays on the right cutting inside.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement