Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MD1990 wrote: »
    murpho999 wrote: »
    With the amount of games we have this season, do we have a starting 11 anymore.

I think you'll see more chopping and changing this season rather than a settled 11.

I think Shaqiri will get plenty of game time.
    Not so sure he will unless Salah gets injured.

Shaqiri isn't very versatile always plays on the right cutting inside.
    He will play plenty of games, Salah has played up top remember,
    Shaqirir is perfect singing for us, he wont start every game but we need to be able to rest the front 3 so he will play lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He will play plenty of games, Salah has played up top remember,
    Shaqirir is perfect singing for us, he wont start every game but we need to be able to rest the front 3 so he will play lots.

If Shaqiri does play hopefully he can improve a bit.

Takes too many touches, can be lazy at times & switch off.
    Outside of that he certainly has ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He is versatile but coaches just take the easy option and plonk in on the right sideline and ask him to either whip one in or cut inside and curl the ball. Put him in behind the nominal striker and you'll see a better player in my view. That said Klopp will probably use him as a rotation wide man unless Fekir deal never happens in which case he may get a chance to be more creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Being lazy is not an option in a Klopp team. I can see Shaqiri getting plenty of games, cup games, home against fodder type games, coming off the bench for the last 20, giving one of the front 3 a rest, there will be plenty of games to go around. We ran those boys into the ground last year and were blessed to avoid injuries, it will be nice to be able to switch them up a bit this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People were saying similar things about Ox last season and it worked out well.

I don't know how people can say he's not versatile. Depends what team he's in and what the manager wants him to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm not that enthused about Shaqiri, but it's nice to have new shiny things to play with, and if nothing else, he has great memeing potential.

I'm not his biggest fan and he doesn't strike me as a Klopp type player but hard to argue at that price. Scored 8 goals last season for a terrible Stoke side. He does have a lot of talent as seen in the Serbia match in the World Cup where he was the best player on the pitch. Will be a very good option off the bench you'd imagine. I'm sure he thinks he can do enough to start but I can't see him dislodging any of the front three.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I expected us to sign a winger but plans changed at that price I suspect. Hope he can play both sides of a front 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

So Ward is better than Karius now, based on a year on the bench, his two 45 minute preseason appearances, and because he doesn't play with his hair.

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

He was pretty robust until that mystery injury.

After Trent's appearance, I wonder how we approach RB.
    I'd be happy to see Clyne for away games and games against the better teams, and Trent when we're trying to be more aggressive with the ball.
    He's also a good attacking substitution if we want to leave the front 3/4 untouched.

I can't ****ing wait to see this team playing again.

Yeah, and it'll be really interesting to see how Clyne and Gomez can play together, coming back after their respective injuries, during the U.S. tour and if they can play their way into automatically starting for the beginning of the season.

Also, confirmed now that Hendo/TAA/Mig/Lovren won't be back until after the French training camp after the tour and all the rest of the WC players will all be travelling to the U.S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm not his biggest fan and he doesn't strike me as a Klopp type player.

Maybe no player looks like "a klopp type player" until they play in a klopp team?

Sappy404 wrote: »
    So Ward is better than Karius now, based on a year on the bench, his two 45 minute preseason appearances, and because he doesn't play with his hair.

Great stuff.

Not sure anyone said that tbf. I think most people are agreeable to give him a run and see what he's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Shaqiri won't feature much at the start of the season.

He will need to work hard to get to the required condition to play our style of play. I am sure Klopp spoke to him before he arrived & showed where he needs to improve.

Looked to have the required condition at the World Cup.

I'm pleased with the signing.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Looked to have the required condition at the World Cup.

I'm pleased with the signing.

There is a notion out there that he is not fit and fat despite being an international.

Also, don't know of any Klopp signing that has struggled with the conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Haha not a klopp player yet klopp signed him. Ffs lads and ladies thank crap there is only 4 weeks to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

murpho999 wrote: »
    There is a notion out there that he is not fit and fat despite being an international.

Also, don't know of any Klopp signing that has struggled with the conditioning.

Shaqiri has a weightlifter's build it is why Lloyd likes him :pac:

He isn't fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone turning their nose up at Shaqiri all I can think of myself is I wish we had him for the Champions League Final when Salah had come off injured instead of Lallana who wasn't fit and missed the entire season through injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shaqiri was a make me buy me price. He's already worth twice at much by penning a contract with us.

To be honest o see him as a yossi type signing. A really good player but not stand out. Someone who can fill on instead of relying on a 18 or 19 year old. A player that while might not be good enough to be a starter, is certainly good enough to play against any premier league side. Its better than shoving ings sturridge or origi out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sappy404 wrote:

People still seem super sensitive to criticism of Karius as if he's one of the best goalie's in the league in a bad run of form.
    I don't see how Ward can do any worse than Mignolet or Karius. All he has to do is save shots directly at him without flapping it back out & not give away corners on goal kicks.

Shaqiri was a make me buy me price. He's already worth twice at much by penning a contract with us.

To be fair if it wasnt for the release clause he would have fetched at least double that anyway. Not trying to talk him up because he is almost a liverpool player. But after his displays at the world cup along with his consistency in the premiership. He is a decent player. We are lucky that others didnt think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If he's half as good as Yossi, I'd be very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ERG89 wrote: »
    People still seem super sensitive to criticism of Karius as if he's one of the best goalie's in the league in a bad run of form.
    I don't see how Ward can do any worse than Mignolet or Karius. All he has to do is save shots directly at him without flapping it back out & not give away corners on goal kicks.

I think your expecting a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As I said weeks ago, Shaqiri is an utter no brainer at that price.

we don't need to spend massive amounts up front. scoring isn't the problem. save the big money for Keita, Fabinho, Fekir (maybe), and please God a goalkeeper.

Shaq will not be a frequent starter, and he won't expect to be unless he's mental.

also, he's not fat. Christ.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    If he's half as good smelly as Yossi, I'd be very happy.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He's a bit of a cnut too,which we are short off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The only worryfor me is that Shaqiri has always had a reputation for not trying very hard follow him around a couple of clubs

He would be great player to bring on when we have a wall of defenders refusing to play , but not if other players are pissed of with him swanning around training

Hes a better back up option than Solanke or Ings anyway.

For the money quoted it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://streamja.com/M476

Bring on the Cube...

Xherdan, you have 2 lives remaining and a 50/50...

The lad hasn't even signed yet and fans have turned him into a Meme.

God help him if he misses an open goal.

At least he can ask Lovren & Karius what it's like when fans turn against you.

Worst fans in the world.

Edit: I see Club legend and spitter has already taken the p1ss/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

SlickRic wrote: »

we don't need to spend massive amounts up front. scoring isn't the problem. save the big money for Keita, Fabinho, Fekir (maybe), and please God a goalkeeper.

Shaq will not be a frequent starter, and he won't expect to be unless he's mental.

We need another attacker and not just a cut price one.
    Scoring is a problem. We don't score enough goals for a team as attacking as we are, and more to the point, we don't score constiently enough. I can't remember off hand but I think there were 11 league games where we scored 1 goal or fewer. Whether or not your defending is good, that's leaving too much to chance.

Maybe Shaqiri goes on to exceed all expectations, but if we go from the rumours of Lemar or Pulisic - a guy who we're looking at to be in the team for at least 5 or 6 years and hopefully longer, who'll go on to be world class, and instead settle for Shaqiri, you have to be disappointed with that.

I don't for a minute think it's penny pinching and, broadly speaking, if we got Fekir and a keeper we'd have had a good window, but it's certainly not getting everything we need.

Shaqiri makes sense if he's a bonus - a wildcard. I hope, and this has been the position of the club, as per reputable journalists, that we're still getting not only Fekir, but also another wide attacking player as well.

It's not about money but about their profile as either a young,potentially world class player, or a CL class player with a pedigree. Shaqiri is neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Sappy404 wrote: »

Great stuff.

I reckon he's better than Karius in that he has a brain, and one that isn't concussed. Karius might have more ability but I reckon Ward will make less mistakes and concentrate better and maybe allow the defence to have a bit of confidence in him. In general, be less of a cabbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Worst fans in the world.

Lighten up Coulsen, JC is just having some good quality banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

He is versatile but coaches just take the easy option and plonk in on the right sideline and ask him to either whip one in or cut inside and curl the ball. Put him in behind the nominal striker and you'll see a better player in my view. That said Klopp will probably use him as a rotation wide man unless Fekir deal never happens in which case he may get a chance to be more creative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

SlickRic wrote: »

we don't need to spend massive amounts up front.  scoring isn't the problem.  save the big money for Keita, Fabinho, Fekir (maybe), and please God a goalkeeper.

We need another attacker and not just a cut price one.
    Scoring is a problem. We don't score enough goals for a team as attacking as we are, and more to the point, we don't score constiently enough. I can't remember off hand but I think there were 11 league games where we scored 1 goal or fewer. Whether or not your defending is good, that's leaving too much to chance.

Maybe Shaqiri goes on to exceed all expectations, but if we go from the rumours of Lemar or Pulisic - a guy who we're looking at to be in the team for at least 5 or 6 years and hopefully longer, who'll go on to be world class, and instead settle for Shaqiri, you have to be disappointed with that.

I don't for a minute think it's penny pinching and, broadly speaking, if we got Fekir and a keeper we'd have had a good window, but it's certainly not getting everything we need.

Shaqiri makes sense if he's a bonus - a wildcard. I hope, and this has been the position of the club, as per reputable journalists, that we're still getting not only Fekir, but also another wide attacking player as well.

It's not about money but about their profile as either a young,potentially world class player, or a CL class player with a pedigree. Shaqiri is neither.
    Maybe we can't get any of these young wingers this summer , Klopp obviously see's something in Shaqiri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think Shaqiri will turn out to be an excellent buy. Also we were very lucky on avoiding injuries up top last season, that is unlikely to continue so he will be getting decent game time at some stage. If he has an attitude that sometimes stinks Ive no doubt Klopp will turn him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

but if we go from the rumours of Lemar

Did he not go to Athletico Madrid in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManCity/status/1017460659045453824

Better parade Shaqiri around Anfield like how City did Mahrez...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fieldog wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ManCity/status/1017460659045453824

Better parade Shaqiri around Anfield like how City did Mahrez...

:D

Jesus Christ, I've seen bigger crowds waiting in a queue for a public toilet.

Worst fans in the world.

So very much wrong with this post, it's hard to know where to start tbh.

You yourself have ridiculed Lovren, now you're defending him blindly. You've slated Henderson and Sturridge relentlessly, your contradictions are extraordinary, is it only certain players that those 'poor fans' are allowed criticise? and you can slate who you like?

Seeing as you like to reduce people like Flanagan (girlfriend beater) and Carragher (spitter) down to previous misdemeanors, I look forward to you referring to Firmino as 'drink driver' from now on, just to be consistent. Problem with that is you won't it will be fun bobby this that or the other.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    .........JC is just having some good quality banter.

Indeed, Jamie is a great lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

corwill wrote: »
    Did he not go to Athletico Madrid in the end?

I think so, but it suggests there's a style and calibre of player we're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I think so, but it suggests there's a style and calibre of player we're after.

Oh just a trivial question, 100% agree with you re style/calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Can't complain about the Shaqiri signing.

If he produces his goal return of 8 goals in the PL from last year I'd be happy with it. He'll have a lot less time but will be in a team creating plenty of chances and generally dominating the game compared to playing in a relegated team. I have a feeling he'll be a hit.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, I've seen bigger crowds waiting in a queue for a public toilet.

That was awful. Just sign a player, leaning photos with jersey, interview asking if they watched Liverpool in Istanbul. Job done.

No need for embarrassing walks, pyrotechnics and tellytubbies to announce a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

The Swiss national team twitter just announced Shaqiri joined Liverpool for 17m francs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

robwen wrote: »

Cheers for that - absolutely love these.

What that video proves above anything is what a genuinely nice guy Klopp is. So patient with fans, signing the official's programme at HT, the faces of the kids when he went amongst them as he was about to board the bus. Love the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I love seeing the players signing a few autographs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement