Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The new number 23 takes over from Can & the club legend and El Hadji Diouf spitting award winner.

Chair lean.
    thumb_67973_default_news_size_5.jpeg
    thumb_67965_default_news_size_5.jpeg
    thumb_67948_default_news_size_5.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Contrast to fulhams serri pics are hillarious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Nice risk free signing that could turn out to be a serious bargain, good work by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Been a huge fan since we were linked with him donkeys years ago

Think he'll be a great signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The new number 23 takes over from the club legend and El Hadji Diouf spitting award winner.

Chair lean.
    thumb_67973_default_news_size_5.jpeg
    thumb_67965_default_news_size_5.jpeg
    thumb_67948_default_news_size_5.jpeg

Hopefully he goes on to overtake Can as our best number 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Good signing at a great price. I don't see how anybody can be unhappy about it.

murpho999 wrote: »

Oh there's bound to be a few!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fecking dwarf.

His biceps are twice mine.

Fecking dwarf.

To be fair Klopp is about 7ft

Bascombe...

Klopp wants to add a number 10 and a goalkeeper before the window closes.

Fekir & Alisson?

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Yes, sure some where unhappy with Salah last year and some also said that VVD was not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Not necessarily unhappy with it. Just didn't think he was a klopp type player. But I think klopp has earned the right to given the benefit of doubt regarding signings.

Very little outlay on and experienced international is never bad (well maybe not never I still have nightmares about Poulsen) but if he can contribute 15+ goals/assists he will be and excellent addition so heres hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bascombe...

Klopp wants to add a number 10 and a goalkeeper before the window closes.

Fekir & Alisson?

If we got both of them it will be our best transfer window ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Gbear wrote: »
    We need another attacker and not just a cut price one.
    Scoring is a problem. We don't score enough goals for a team as attacking as we are, and more to the point, we don't score constiently enough. I can't remember off hand but I think there were 11 league games where we scored 1 goal or fewer. Whether or not your defending is good, that's leaving too much to chance.

Maybe Shaqiri goes on to exceed all expectations, but if we go from the rumours of Lemar or Pulisic - a guy who we're looking at to be in the team for at least 5 or 6 years and hopefully longer, who'll go on to be world class, and instead settle for Shaqiri, you have to be disappointed with that.

I don't for a minute think it's penny pinching and, broadly speaking, if we got Fekir and a keeper we'd have had a good window, but it's certainly not getting everything we need.

Shaqiri makes sense if he's a bonus - a wildcard. I hope, and this has been the position of the club, as per reputable journalists, that we're still getting not only Fekir, but also another wide attacking player as well.

It's not about money but about their profile as either a young,potentially world class player, or a CL class player with a pedigree. Shaqiri is neither.

What was ox or salah or mane ....i never thought tbey would be world class players and none of them were young with potential like mbappe or lemar etc. Give him a chance. A fine player who gave the run around to chelsea and man u in champions league with basle a few years ago

Salah was brought in to replace Shaqiri at Basel..

Now Shaqiri is being brought into replace Salah who will be sold by the cheapskates FSG.

Full circle type thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

SlickRic wrote: »
    Shaq will not be a frequent starter, and he won't expect to be unless he's mental.
    People said pretty much the same thing about Oxlade-Chamberlain last year. If Shaqiri shows the right attitude and puts the expected effort in for the training sessions Klopp will give him a fair opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

thumb_67965_default_news_size_5.jpg

Official interview on horrible streamable site :)

https://streamable.com/03ept

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hopefully he goes on to overtake Can as our best number 23.

I think Fowler was a tad better than Can.
    Doubt shaqiri has enough in the locker to rival Fowler s exploits in the #23 shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

RoboKlopp wrote: »

We could sign Messi and people would still bemoan FSG for 'lacking ambition' or 'not spending enough'.

Big Shaq is a cracking signing at any price and for £13m is a bargain. Even if he's Balotelli-level bad we'll still recoup pretty much the entire fee (we sold Ibe for £15m ffs).

Cannot see anything wrong with this signing at all. The guy scores bangers for fun, is quick, strong and despite playing for Stoke always looked like he was pulling that team along.

Sign Fekir or someone else decent and a top GK (though unlikely) and this will be one of the best summers in a while - even after last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What’s the depth chart at this point?

GK: Karius, Mignolet, Ward

RB: AA, Clyne, Gomez
    CB: The Man, Lovren, Matip, Klavan, Gomez
    LB: Robertson, Moreno

CM: Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Ox, Milner, Wijnaldum, Lallana

Attackers: Salah, Firminho, Mane, Ox, Shaqiri, Lallana

I’ve ignored senior players I think will move on / be on loan and the kids. Who do people think have a realistic part to play above?

I think we’d make do with what we have tbh, though Fekir / Allison or equivalents would be lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Going by that interview it's safe to say Shaqiri wants to win titles at Liverpool, he mentioned it about 20 times!

That looks about the size of it as of now. The test for me is this - if the first XI all died in a tragic Carpool incident could Klopp field another proper 11? If by the end of the window he can then it's been a good summer. Obviously the keeper situation is the real tester.

Back up centre forward is the big gap. Although I think Origi could hang around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im still holding out hope that lazar will come good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

retalivity wrote: »

ha! Well, at least he appeared in the last pre-season training video, so he's alive anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Are the club going to buy everyone they were linked with under Rodgers but didn't get? Salah, shaqiri and next up Dempsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

TitianGerm wrote: »

Loved this - "ya can't see his nay's" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Are the club going to buy everyone they were linked with under Rodgers but didn't get? Salah, shaqiri and next up Dempsey.

Also means we’re getting Willian and Saul Niguez though. :)

‘Welcome to Liverpool Ashley Williams.’

• Advertisement

Reports in Italy that Roma have lowered the asking price for Alisson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Good bit of business that, 13M is a nothing fee in the current climate, have to back Klopp to make him a better player too.......at worse we'll have depth in the wide area's this season and sell on for similar or more, at best we'll have a tidy player that adds a something little different going forward.

An argument could be made that we currently have the best squad we ever had in the EPL era but add a GK and an AM/Attacker and there would be no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Reports in Italy that Roma have lowered the asking price for Alisson.

70M apparently......worth the risk IMO, mega money but he looks a top GK even if he didn't impress against us in the CL and WC too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Should have went in for Reina and brought him home on a free:D

All jokes aside but I'd be happy with an Experienced GK like that for a season or two, until we can sort out something more long term.

Maybe even the three keepers we have could benefit from that type of scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

retalivity wrote: »

I think Lazarus has a better chance of making another comeback...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That looks about the size of it as of now. The test for me is this - if the first XI all died in a tragic Carpool incident could Klopp field another proper 11? If by the end of the window he can then it's been a good summer. Obviously the keeper situation is the real tester.

FSG skimping on the transport now? FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Wonder what he is thinking here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Manager Klopp believes Liverpool are the "perfect" club for his new signing.

"I think the English phrase to explain the decision to sign Xherdan is a 'no-brainer'. When someone like him becomes available in this way you have to react if you are smart - and we have," said the German.

"He has speed and ability, has the right amount of arrogance on the football pitch, real bravery to want the ball and influence things. To play for us these are mandatory requirements.

"We are the perfect move for him in this moment as well I think, because he needs to push himself and challenge himself and our environment encourages that.

"I know him well from his time in Switzerland and especially Germany - I have been a long-time admirer. But the added bonus now is that he knows the Premier League and what it takes to perform in this uniquely intense environment."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Official interview on horrible streamable site :)

https://streamable.com/03ept

Whats horrible about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What’s the depth chart at this point?

GK: Karius, Mignolet, Ward

RB: AA, Clyne, Gomez
    CB: The Man, Lovren, Matip, Klavan, Gomez
    LB: Robertson, Moreno

CM: Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Ox, Milner, Wijnaldum, Lallana

Attackers: Salah, Firminho, Mane, Ox, Shaqiri, Lallana

I’ve ignored senior players I think will move on / be on loan and the kids. Who do people think have a realistic part to play above?

I think we’d make do with what we have tbh, though Fekir / Allison or equivalents would be lovely

I did the same earlier, we've a strong 23 man squad there. Perfect scenario is the two in as you said (or similar and we're definitely in the market for those players, Fekir deal stuttering and the keeper links) and a possible Matip upgrade (for me anyway) not required but would be brilliant. Those two/three players and if one of Wilson, Brewster, Solanke etc stepped up it would tip our preseason expectations up to the highest I think I've ever had it. As long as no big player leaves and I don't think we'd let that happen right now the season ahead looks like it'll be enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Whats horrible about it?

It worked for me too but you have to take into consideration that Harry is probably using the first web browser ever made for an old Commodore 64 or Atari 2600.

Some say he still uses an abacus to do basic subtraction:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

We could sign Messi and all I would think about is when are we getting in a decent keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Jebus Mike.....Harchester United stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

Jebus Mike.....Harchester United stuff!
    It happened most seasons there if i remember correctly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Some nonsense column here in the Echo about the goalkeeping situation if anyone is interested: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-ward-should-feel-no-14907533

Ward 'deserves' to be number one, apparently. James Pearce maintaining he's used to pressure from his Championship season and at 25, shouldn't be considered a gamble.

Honestly can't say one thing or another about Ward as, like most people, I've barely seen him play. He may be talented, he might actually be the solution, but to suggest it's not a gamble is ridiculous. The guy has played 21 top flight games in his entire career - at Aberdeen in the SPL. He's hardly a proven solution.

Play him in the friendlies in the US and see what he's about but I can't say that I wouldn't be absolutely bricking it if we started the season with Ward as number 1 and Karius as number 2 (or vice-versa!).

I know Mignolet is currently away with Belgium but is there much talk on his future? I remember interviews a few months ago talking about needing regular football so I presumed he'd be on his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Some nonsense column here in the Echo about the goalkeeping situation if anyone is interested: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-ward-should-feel-no-14907533

Ward 'deserves' to be number one, apparently. James Pearce maintaining he's used to pressure from his Championship season and at 25, shouldn't be considered a gamble.

Honestly can't say one thing or another about Ward as, like most people, I've barely seen him play. He may be talented, he might actually be the solution, but to suggest it's not a gamble is ridiculous. The guy has played 21 top flight games in his entire career - at Aberdeen in the SPL. He's hardly a proven solution.

Play him in the friendlies in the US and see what he's about but I can't say that I wouldn't be absolutely bricking it if we started the season with Ward as number 1 and Karius as number 2 (or vice-versa!).

I know Mignolet is currently away with Belgium but is there much talk on his future? I remember interviews a few months ago talking about needing regular football so I presumed he'd be on his way.

Why are you only counting his time at Aberdeen and not Huddersfield? He seemed to do very well with them and helped them get promotion to the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

murpho999 wrote: »

If what Bascombe is saying is true, and we're not looking for another attacker other than a 10, then it's not about who he is, it's who he isn't.

Anyone who says they're more excited about Shaqiri than a £50m winger, like Lemar, Pulisic, or another wunderkind of that sort of profile, is lying.

It's not worth rioting over, but I was getting hugely excited about the potential of the business we were going to do and the state of our squad. This is a bit of a damp squib.

I think we're currently two top class attackers and a keeper short of a 95pt title challenge. Progress is fine, but the longer it takes, the more likely it is to be disrupted.

Gbear wrote: »

Anyone who says they're more excited about Shaqiri than a £50m winger, like Lemar, Pulisic, or another wunderkind of that sort of profile, is lying.

Do these people even exist? Doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why are you only counting his time at Aberdeen and not Huddersfield? He seemed to do very well with them and helped them get promotion to the PL.

Well, I said top flight. His time at Huddersfield wasn't that.

But, even taking Huddersfield into account, he's still very inexperienced.

He's 25 and has played fewer than 100 games in his entire career for club and country. He may be talented, like I said, but it is a massive, massive gamble to decide he's the one.

I'd love to be sitting here in October and have people quoting these posts at me saying how wrong I was but I can't pretend to not be a little nervous about Ward potentially starting at number 1.

Especially if it is a situation that has only arrived as a result of Karius' errors and confidence issues rather than Klopp looking at him in training and thinking that Ward was better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement