Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well, I said top flight. His time at Huddersfield wasn't that.

But, even taking Huddersfield into account, he's still very inexperienced.

He's 25 and has played fewer than 100 games in his entire career for club and country. He may be talented, like I said, but it is a massive, massive gamble to decide he's the one.

I'd love to be sitting here in October and have people quoting these posts at me saying how wrong I was but I can't pretend to not be a little nervous about Ward potentially starting at number 1.

Especially if it is a situation that has only arrived as a result of Karius' errors and confidence issues rather than Klopp looking at him in training and thinking that Ward was better.

You did say top flight but you counted his time at Aberdeen so I was confused. Championship is probably a higher standard than SPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A goalkeeper and Fekir to come in and it would be a great window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gbear wrote: »
    If what Bascombe is saying is true, and we're not looking for another attacker other than a 10, then it's not about who he is, it's who he isn't.

Anyone who says they're more excited about Shaqiri than a £50m winger, like Lemar, Pulisic, or another wunderkind of that sort of profile, is lying.

It's not worth rioting over, but I was getting hugely excited about the potential of the business we were going to do and the state of our squad. This is a bit of a damp squib.

I think we're currently two top class attackers and a keeper short of a 95pt title challenge. Progress is fine, but the longer it takes, the more likely it is to be disrupted.

People weren't that excited by a lot of our signings under Klopp. Salah, Mane, Robertson, Ox etc. Klopp is looking at getting the right player and Shaqiri is that. His experience and attributes/stats are obviously what Klopp wants whether people are excited by it or not. The money spent and fanbase excitement is irrelevant really.

I get your point though. If this is our business done and dusted then we are probably short of pushing through 70/80 points next season but I'm not sure we are finished, we'll look to add the right players.

If our aim is to compete for the EPL then we need to look at the GK situation. Sticking with any of them will probably mean we need our forwards to continue to score a phenomenal amount while also being almost flawless at the back. Both are not sustainable long term I dont think.

We can compete with Karius but to push up another level and compete with City in the EPL we need a GK to sometimes win us games and save us an extra 10 points over a season. None of our GK's currently have that level in them.

Especially if it is a situation that has only arrived as a result of Karius' errors and confidence issues rather than Klopp looking at him in training and thinking that Ward was better.

I think klopp really rated karius very highly and was quite sure he was going to be our #1 for the future.

It's progress that this might no longer be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Team set up for the Bury game...

Starting XI: Karius, Clyne, Van Dijk, Matip, Moreno, Milner, Fabinho, Ojo, Jones, Origi, Sturridge.
    Subs: Grabara, Keita, Gomez, Klavan, Lallana, Robertson, Solanke, Kent, Phillips, Woodburn, Camacho, Chirivella.

Sofa Spud wrote: »

Starting XI: Karius, Clyne, Van Dijk, Matip, Moreno, Milner, Fabinho, Ojo, Jones, Origi, Sturridge.
    Subs: Grabara, Keita, Gomez, Klavan, Lallana, Robertson, Solanke, Kent, Phillips, Woodburn, Camacho, Chirivella.

Does the Liverpool channel have it?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Does the Liverpool channel have it?

Yep, so should be plenty of water based viewing options available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Still no sign of gini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wonder if there’s anything to the rumours.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Wonder if there’s anything to the rumours.

Christ, I hope not - could just be he's not ready, was moaning about pre-season in one of the vids this week, find it hard to believe he'd want to leave for Turkey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wouldn’t put much stock in it myself, and was just throwing it out there. I would be disappointed to see him go without even trying to battle it out for a spot in the team. Probably the most underrated player in the squad among fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Wouldn’t put much stock in it myself, and was just throwing it out there. I would be disappointed to see him go without even trying to battle it out for a spot in the team. Probably the most underrated player in the squad among fans.

Henderson by a long shot

Trent must be a bit pissed of - Trippier is starting despite his groin injury during the week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gini has a muscle strain apparently (obviously that's just a cover story and he is on the plane to Fenebahce)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Big question is where does Gini fit into the package??? Hendo, Milner, Fab, Keita plus the youths.....could understand why he wants a move. Probably doesnt see himself ahead of the other above named four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Big question is where does Gini fit into the package??? Hendo, Milner, Fab, Keita plus the youths.....could understand why he wants a move. Probably doesnt see himself ahead of the other above named four.

Love Gini. Consummate professional - came in and did above and beyond what might have been expected of him on several occasions over the past two seasons. Touch of class about him also. He doesn't do those blockbuster things that many fans seem to want a midfielder to do but does all of those things a really excellent midfielder should do.

I'd be thrilled if he was still a squad member come the end of the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I think it was Gbear that said it most recently but there won't be a first 11. There will be matches when, for example, Gini is the better option to use and not one of Henderson/Keita/Fab etc and I'd expect Klopp to cut his cloth accordingly. This will also come to pass when players are out of form, returning from, or nursing an injury etc. I think it would be remiss to sell Gini if he's not being replaced. I like our midfield options now.

The point about a proper squad is that good players will be sat on the bench.

I have a river of reliable nature if anyone needs one - edit. It's died :( It's back (it's died, it's back etc for the next 2 hours)

Sofa Spud wrote: »

Ings out? Injured?

• Advertisement

Indeed - will be interesting to see how Klopp develops/changes formations once the newbies are settled in and a hopefully fully fit squad - we stuck with the 4-3-3 last season, could we now see that change more often to suit opposition/player availablity considering we have, in theory, a lot more options?

NukaCola wrote: »
    Ings out? Injured?

He's having a double training session at Melwood after recovering from his blisters and Ward is staying back too at Melwood for a full training session

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have a river of reliable nature if anyone needs one - edit. It's died :( It's back (it's died, it's back etc for the next 2 hours)

Worth the fiver to sub for the month, work on my PS4 but not my smart TV, what is that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Would hate to see Gini leave he is the perfect first team squad player he doesn't weaken the first 11 when playing in any way that is the type of squad player we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Apres match's take on Henderson just now was very apt.

Would hate to see Gini leave he is the perfect first team squad player he doesn't weaken the first 11 when playing in any way that is the type of squad player we need.

True, but conversely you could argue that he doesn't improve the first 11 in any way when playing.

Apres match's take on Henderson just now was very apt.

Transcript:
    Jordan Henderson is is the "slurry carrier" but I think he has really grown in this tournament. This lad. If you look at him here, he's got..., I think he's like the English Modric! Look at that ball there, now it's just a little long. But I think he's got the vision, he sees that ball into the opponents half... but he didn't make the run! And again here, he wins the ball, plays it down the wing and he's got the vision not necessarily the technique to get the ball to where he wants it to go but it doesn't stop him trying... And I think he's going to be crucial today. And if he wasn't playing for England they'd need 3 players to replace him Peter!

So. 3 players to replace him? Fabby, Nabby and Flabby (shaqi)

Every time I hear Fabinho I think it's Firmino :o

Every time I hear Fabinho I think it's Firmino :o

I keep singing in me head 'It's the Nabby and Fabby Show!' to the tune of the Itchy and Scratchy theme from the Simpsons - don't try it, it'll stick for hours in your head....

• Advertisement

Curtis Jones has excellent speed of thought/foot in tight situations.

Curtis Jones has excellent speed of thought/foot in tight situations.

He's been very good. Looks like an extra out of Narcos with the moustache :pac:

Moreno still Moreno-ing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone else think Spurs might be screwed for the first few weeks of the season? It appears nearly their entire first team is still playing in the world cup...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

How did the match go?

Anyone else think Spurs might be screwed for the first few weeks of the season? It appears nearly their entire first team is still playing in the world cup...

Would be nice if we could give them a nice welcome home in their first game in the new stadium and put the memory of last year to bed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Son will also be missing but rumours Liverpool are in for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

No way Spurs would let him go and especially not to Liverpool.

cracking player and scored some vital goals for them towards the end of the season.

Will anyone take a risk on him with his two years Military service to come in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He just turned 26. A five year contract at a knock down rate could be an excellent gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Son qualifies for a German passport. Question is if he would have to give up international football and surrender his Korean one to avoid military service. Also is he willing to do it.....I know this isnt new...same topic came up when he was playing in Germany

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    How did the match go?

0 - 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I don't want anyone to panic too much but while we drew 0-0 against Bury, Everton scored 22 against a 7th tier Austrian side...

Pre-season, eh?

I don't want anyone to panic too much but while we drew 0-0 against Bury, Everton scored 22 against a 7th tier Austrian side...

Pre-season, eh?

I wonder will Richard Keys make any bold predictions via twitter.

I'd do a little wee dance if Son was signed - always wanted him and Firmino in the same team. But it sounds highly unlikely to say the least. Korea can win the Asian Games footie (two weeks in late August) to avoid service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Pre-season, eh?

Early call they finish above Liverpool this season:D:D

Damn beaten to it

Looks like Klopp feels the same way about Loveren but quickly puts a nice a little spin on it.

https://twitter.com/_ChrisBascombe/status/1018171516998037504

Looks like Barca are accepting bids for Mina.

What I saw of him at the World Cup I wouldn't mind seeing us put a bid in for him.

Looks like £30m could get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Wasn't Mina the name of the girl Dracula had a crush on?

Pre-season, eh?

Their best result in 23 years.

Not bad for a small out of shape fat man who can't run.

77 – Only six players created more chances than Xherdan Shaqiri in the Premier League last season, while the Swiss created 15 more than any Liverpool player (Mo Salah, 62). Artistry.
    https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1018056986041176064

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement