Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rid off,
    Origi , Ings , Sturridge , Klavan,
    Get in 
    Allison ,Fekir CB and Forward,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

MD1990 wrote: »
    I would keep Sturridge.
    Not going to get much money for him & he could get 6-10 goals in all comps.bad
    Shaqiri should get 5-8 goals in all comps too so it is not bad cover for the front 3. Fekir signed would be brillant.

Only pre season but both Solanke & Origi not looking too sharp against on league opposition. I think Origi will be sold.

Origi only has a year left I think so really has to be sold. He's too one dimensional, hasn't progressed since we signed him. Run fast, kick hard. No guile in him.

Ojo has looked very good, I think he stays as a rotation option for Mane or Salah, along with Shaq. I see Lallana and Ox as more central, we need proper pacy wide options.

Dickerty wrote: »
    I would keep Sturridge.
    Shaqiri should get 5-8 goals in all comps too so it is not bad cover for the front 3.  Fekir signed would be brillant.

Only pre season but both Solanke & Origi not looking too sharp against on league opposition. I think Origi will be sold.

Origi only has a year left I think so really has to be sold. He's too one dimensional, hasn't progressed since we signed him. Run fast, kick hard. No guile in him.

Ojo has looked very good, I think he stays as a rotation option for Mane or Salah, along with Shaq. I see Lallana and Ox as more central, we need proper pacy wide options.
    No one wants to see Adam as a winger ever again , he just isn't able for it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

5starpool wrote: »
    Obviously the world cup distracted things there.

All conjecture and we don't know what has been said, but he could have been told that he's done, and he leaves. He could have decided that regardless of what he has been told he wants to leave, or if Ward is the new number one, he might sense a chance to reestablish himself and decide to stay.

I'm glad I could clear things up for you!

Lol clear as mud 5starpool :D

From Migs point of view he was dropped by Klopp and hasnt played first team football in nearly 6 months, he also missed out on getting selected for the Belgium squad too. To compound all that he is going to be looking at Karius hold the no.1 jersey on August 11th despite the CL debacle. And it could get even worse if Ward is on the bench and Migs gets relegated to third choice keeper. He would want to be mad not to seek a move under those conditions and especially as it seems pretty clear that there is no way back for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

giphy.gif

Here's to an injury free season for Sturridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I would keep Sturridge.
    Shaqiri should get 5-8 goals in all comps too so it is not bad cover for the front 3. Fekir signed would be brillant.

Think the club will be actively looking to sell sturridge for the wages he's on but I'd agree if he stayed he'd certainly bag a few goals throughout the season. Didn't realise origi only had a year left too so if imagine they'd be considering any approaches. Solanke probably needs a loan and ings is looking to leave but needless to say all 4 can't go, bit of an awkward situation when all 4 probably want to leave but we can't really afford to. I'm sure brewster will get a look when he's back fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Why do people want Klavan gone? Great squad player to have and hasnt left us down when called upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I can only assume it's to justify recent claims that we need another CB.
    As you say, he has been nothing but a solid squad player for us.
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Why do people want Klavan gone? Great squad player to have and hasnt left us down when called upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tyler's comments are interesting precisely because he said it and not someone obvious. As mentioned above he'll know any number of people who are actually in the know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Fekir would be an outstanding signing, and pretty much fully enable us to rotate our front 3 in a way that will not significantly downgrade our threat.

that is massive.

bringing in Shaqiri and Fekir is so different to bringing on Solanke and Ings it's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    Fekir would be an outstanding signing, and pretty much fully enable us to rotate our front 3 in a way that will not significantly downgrade our threat.

that is massive.

bringing in Shaqiri and Fekir is so different to bringing on Solanke and Ings it's ridiculous.
    Is it really that outstanding ? Is he really that good ,
    He looked bang average any time he played for France in the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Is it really that outstanding ? Is he really that good ,
    He looked bang average any time he played for France in the world cup.

I reckon he got less than 30 minutes all in all at the world cup. Hard to judge any player on that. Fekir would start for us instead of one of the midfield 3.

Hopefully we will finally have options on the bench rather than the dross that is solanke and ings.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lol clear as mud 5starpool :D

From Migs point of view he was dropped by Klopp and hasnt played first team football in nearly 6 months, he also missed out on getting selected for the Belgium squad too. To compound all that he is going to be looking at Karius hold the no.1 jersey on August 11th despite the CL debacle. And it could get even worse if Ward is on the bench and Migs gets relegated to third choice keeper. He would want to be mad not to seek a move under those conditions and especially as it seems pretty clear that there is no way back for him.

He was in the Belgium squad, not sure if that bit was a typo or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yet Fekir looked sh1t don't sign him lets give Markovic and Sturridge a 2nd 3rd 4th 5th chance.

Save some money for next summer.

Getting someone who could be a reasonably effective replacement for Firmino when needed is much easier said than done. They'd need to be flexible enough to play in other positions, but good enough to actually make a difference when they play up front and allow our style of play to not have to change too much. They'd also need to be ok with not being a regular starter. That's a very rare and difficult combination to find I'd say.

I'd say Salah could be used as the #9 at times this season if we had Fekir or similar to provide proper cover wide if needed (not saying he'd be signed as cover, but he could play one of the wide slots if needed). Lallana can be good, but hasn't been for a while due to injury, so who knows. Sturridge, Ings, Solanke, Origi are not the answer to any question we should be asking unfortunately. It's a pity Brewster is still injured as this could have been a chance to see if he could offer much, even at his young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Getting someone who could be a reasonably effective replacement for Firmino when needed is much easier said than done. They'd need to be flexible enough to play in other positions, but good enough to actually make a difference when they play up front and allow our style of play to not have to change too much. They'd also need to be ok with not being a regular starter. That's a very rare and difficult combination to find I'd say.

I'd say Salah could be used as the #9 at times this season if we had Fekir or similar to provide proper cover wide if needed (not saying he'd be signed as cover, but he could play one of the wide slots if needed). Lallana can be good, but hasn't been for a while due to injury, so who knows. Sturridge, Ings, Solanke, Origi are not the answer to any question we should be asking unfortunately. It's a pity Brewster is still injured as this could have been a chance to see if he could offer much, even at his young age.

Salah through the middle is an option now given that we have Shaqiri to play wide, also i think fekir can play the false nine position if needed without changing the team too much

Wouldn't get too bothered about positions really, Klopp has the attack drilled so it finds the shape needed at any given moment. Mane and Firmino often come quite deep, not because they are ill-disciplined or desperate for the ball but because it's part of the tactics.

Fekir could be the "Coutinho" from the inside left or be the number 8 and a half (Lallana two seasons ago who was not a real No 8 but nor was he a No 10).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Salah through the middle is an option now given that we have Shaqiri to play wide, also i think fekir can play the false nine position if needed without changing the team too much

Yep this is a big point. We lack a good Firmino backup.

We can also play a 4231 system

Having a player like Solanke or Origi in the 1 position if Fun Bobby is injured or rested just drawing defenders all over the shop as the 3 attack.

I too would rather have a better option than those two however finding that player is going to be hard.

That 3 can be any of Salah, Mane, Shaqiri, Lallana, Ox, Gini, Fekir if he joins or even Keita.

The two can be made up of Fabinho, Keita, Milner, Gini or Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Those Tyler comments strike me as him repeating something as fact that he half-read or heard 2nd hand. He says "They will take him but payments would have to be in stages." Not "will be" or "will have to be". Conditional. He's just parroting the persistent rumour that Liverpool want Fekir but first they want to restructure the deal. It's no confirmation.

• Advertisement

Tyler is mindful of his audience, folk who gorge themselves on summer transfer gossip lap it up. The last page of two in here and folk seem to think Fekir is in the bag now :)

Is Fekir any use ?
    He seems slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is Fekir any use ?
    He seems slow

Broken record!

Options, sexy options.

Yep cos we're quoting Tyler all the time on this thread and in the transfer thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Is Fekir any use ?
    He seems slow

Coutinho was not quick.

We dont really need another speedster. Chamberlain can play on the wings when fit again if we have injuries.

That said I would love Zaha at Liverpool.

noodler wrote: »
    Is Fekir any use ?
    He seems slow

Broken record!

Options, sexy options.
    What are his strong parts of his game, I never seen him play outside of the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

What are his strong parts of his game, I never seen him play outside of the world cup

The guy who did the Twitter thread on Allison also did one on Fekir:

https://twitter.com/WC_LFC_Torres/status/1018768641196724229?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement

I reckon once the Ronaldo move is sealed today Madrid will have the check book out and the transfer merry go round starts remember it close before the season starts so only 4 weeks to go ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Great to see the wondow closed before the start of the season. Made no sense the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Great to see the wondow closed before the start of the season. Made no sense the other way.

Well, it's closed for premier league with incomings but I think players can still leave for other leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Nerdlingr wrote: »

no need for him to go imo.... good servant to the club...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Bill Shankly Documentary on BBC2 on Sunday
    I think it was on BBC Scotland last year, but not on the full BBC Network

Sunday BBC2 10pm - Shankly: Nature's Fire (2017)
    Profile of football manager Bill Shankly, examining his success during two periods running Liverpool and the influence his Ayrshire roots had on his career. The film examines Shankly's down-to-Earth relationship with fans, and follows members of a supporters' group on a pilgrimage to the former mining community where he grew up. With contributions from Ian St John, Kevin Keegan, Denis Law and Roger Hunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I assume if the Fekir deal is resurrected that his medical from before the WC will still be valid so it's just a question of Lyon and LFC agreeing terms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

murpho999 wrote: »
    I assume if the Fekir deal is resurrected that his medical from before the WC will still be valid so it's just a question of Lyon and LFC agreeing terms?

Or the player will now have time to see a doctor of the clubs choice for a detailed second opinion, with all tests the owners/insurance companies require. I would imagine that the couldnt be done when the player was in the French camp before the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Yeah i heard its the payment structure holding it up , heard we are also going to go in for alisson but as the birds in the street know he's holding out for real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dont know if Madrid will have the cash for a new keeper if they are to go for Hazard and Neymar although Courtois has been linked with them also

Done deal Alisson just liked Salah on Instagram.

ricero wrote: »
    Dont know if Madrid will have the cash for a new keeper if they are to go for Hazard and Neymar although Courtois has been linked with them also

Twitter now saying that Real are out of the race for Allisson and it's now between Chelsea and Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Twitter now saying that Real are out of the race for Allisson and it's now between Chelsea and Liverpool.

Which infers Real set on Courtois, who is the better keeper of the two I think. Chelsea may be desperate and pay over the odds / big wages to replace Courtois, partic as no CL to offer. Could be silly money here.

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Which infers Real set on Courtois, who is the better keeper of the two I think. Chelsea may be desperate and pay over the odds / big wages to replace Courtois, partic as no CL to offer. Could be silly money here.

If Liverpool want him and are willing to pay the money then they just need to move fast.

I think having CL to offer is a big plus for us.

I'm not 100% convinced by Allisson but have not seen a lot of him.

Think something has to happen as pre-season has confirmed that Karuis is broken and is being laughed at which is horrible and it just can't continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

James Pallotta (owner of AS Roma) made a joke about Madrid being as close to signing the player as the pizza that he eating was to the size of the moon - news headline reads "Real Madrid close to signing Allisson".

A month ago Florentino Perez said the player was over priced and Real Madrid would be happy for Liverpool to spend the quoted money on him.

Those two pieces of information would suggest that the speculation regarding the player has been based upon BS. Somebody has been angling for a club to make a bid for the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Done deal Alisson just liked Salah on Instagram.

Alissons agent like a photo of him in a Liverpool kit. Definitely done deal now!!;)

https://i.redd.it/n4vw0xl84ea11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

If Liverpool want him and are willing to pay the money then they just need to move fast.

I think having CL to offer is a big plus for us.

I'm not 100% convinced by Allisson but have not seen a lot of him.

Think something has to happen as pre-season has confirmed that Karuis is broken and is being laughed at which is horrible and it just can't continue.

This was being said about our centre-half position at the start of last season. Klopp bided his time, the sky didn't fall in on the club, we got our man and it's happy ever after. Eaten bread is soon forgotten.

If, and it is still a big if, we sign Fekir and Alisson this summer, then on top of our other signings, surely this creates massive expectation? No one is entitled to win the league, but spending 350m or so, in the last 3 windows, adds pressure to win things, and I don't just mean a league or FA cup, welcome as they would be.

Even without those 2 mooted signings, it is exciting times, and I hope we can properly compete for (and win) the big prizes. I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to get at to be honest, but there is something, somewhere trying to get out (not a toffee crisp). By the end of the 19/20 season if we haven't won much, or anything, questions will likely be asked. However, with Klopp it doesn't just feel like we have to win or else. I'm being overly sentimental here, but it feels like more, and context is key. If we didn't win anything in the next 2 seasons, I'd be disappointed, but it is about context, and I'm more emotionally willing to take that into account for a Klopp managed Liverpool than I normally would be with managers, and won't care much what the non LFC fans (and some of our own) will be bleating on about.

Then again it may be disappointing, and despite it being Klopp, feel that it is best to change things up. I hope not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Alissons agent like a photo of him in a Liverpool kit. Definitely done deal now!!;)

https://i.redd.it/n4vw0xl84ea11.jpg

Agent likes transfer fee shocker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If, and it is still a big if, we sign Fekir and Alisson this summer, then on top of our other signings, surely this creates massive expectation? No one is entitled to win the league, but spending 350m or so, in the last 3 windows, adds pressure to win things, and I don't just mean a league or FA cup, welcome as they would be.

Even without those 2 mooted signings, it is exciting times, and I hope we can properly compete for (and win) the big prizes. I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to get at to be honest, but there is something, somewhere trying to get out (not a toffee crisp). By the end of the 19/20 season if we haven't won much, or anything, questions will likely be asked. However, with Klopp it doesn't just feel like we have to win or else. I'm being overly sentimental here, but it feels like more, and context is key. If we didn't win anything in the next 2 seasons, I'd be disappointed, but it is about context, and I'm more emotionally willing to take that into account for a Klopp managed Liverpool than I normally would be with managers, and won't care much what the non LFC fans (and some of our own) will be bleating on about.

Then again it may be disappointing, and despite it being Klopp, feel that it is best to change things up. I hope not though.

The difference is we will have spent 350m but we have still lost Couthino (obviously we could still lose our important players in the future as well)

To me though players must see what's being built at Liverpool and be willing to move to be part of that or stay and help the club get back to winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

On the other hand though this is the prime time to be bolstering a squad, we've had many weak seasons where it may have been hard to convince the top player to come to Liverpool over other top teams.
    We've had several windows where we've signed a lot of player who had the possibility of being good and many of them never lived up to it. This is the time to spend the budget, Klopp improves the majority of his players so even if we don't win something we should be left with a much stronger squad and be in the mix for winning things on a more regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It's a shame we're not in a position to be scouting goalkeepers and are paying top dollar instead. Oblak began as 2nd choice at Benfica the season Atletico spotted him. Alisson was only made first choice at Roma because they sold Sczezny. Ederson only got a chance at Benfica when Julio Cesar got injured. Pope and Pickford are similar examples closer to home.

That said, we've known Mignolet is sub standard for 4 years and have spent less than £5m trying to address it. If this lad is actually a top keeper, I don't care what we pay for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement