Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

tinpib wrote: »

We’ll just have to start calling him Ian then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If they really are £4m short of the asking price, I hope we don't get gazumped by Chelsea as a result of this lowballing caper we seem to love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can't believe in this day and age there hasn't been a Brewster's Millions meme made since he signed the contract last night.

If they really are £4m short of the asking price, I hope we don't get gazumped by Chelsea as a result of this lowballing caper we seem to love.

To be fair we a low balling by almost doubling the World Record price for a keeper that's some class low balling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Lowballing? A world record fee ,he ain't worth half if it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dickerty wrote: »
    He's still not a weak link. And if you think about the position, we also have Clyne and Gomez. In fact, if we fix the keeper, we really don't have a weak position in the starting XI...

Cb or attacking midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think you have answered your own concerns!

For me, Lovren is first choice alongside VVD. He did look a lot better beside a dominant talker, he can just do his job. And I think Matip, Klavan and Gomez is plenty of cover. It's the best CB options of any team in the league.

So definitely not where we need to focus...
    I actually laughed when you said we have the best CB options in the league and thought yeah right but when I actually thought about it there is certainly a strong case to be made.

Liverpool
    VVD, Lovren, Matip, Gomez, Klavan

Man City
    Otamendi, Kompany, Stones, Laporte, Mangala

Man Utd
    Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo

Chelsea
    Cahill, Luiz, Rudiger, Christensen, Azpilicueta

Spurs
    Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Dier, Foyth

Arsenal
    Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers, 2 new Greek fellas

I don't think there is much difference between all the above and I'm sure opinions as to who would have the best options would greatly differ. I would argue that Spurs would currently have the best (at least if just looking at top 3) but nothing much between the rest. Man Utd fans would no doubt say theirs is but they play so defensively it helps them. Arsenal will hope that the 2 new Greek lads will be solid and so push them up. Chelsea will surely buy a CB as their options dont look great. Man City, with Kompany so unreliable, surprisingly look weak, just shows how good their attack was last year.

So, whilst as I said not the most immediate area to focus on, if FSG did have the funds to go again after hopefully Allison and Fekir I would still be targeting another CB to strongly compete with Lovren to partner VVD. Then we would have Matip as back up. Let Gomez go out on loan and keep Klavan as 5th choice if necessary for a year. We would definitely have the best options then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Cb or attacking midfield?

Not CB, and I think they'd like Fekir as at attacking midfielder, like Ox, but I think midfield works differently with Fabinho, Henderson and Keita. None are outright AMs, Fabinho in particular will sit between the CBs and the other two will be pushing on.
    But we have two attacking FBs and two attacking wide men, that's where the threat comes from. It won't be a replication of Coutinho, where everything went through him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you want a car you like, you still don't offer the asking straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Left back was a bit of a weird one this tournament, and it looks like they're only picking from the final four teams.

The one that stood out for me though was Laxalt at Uruguay, even though he's normally a left winger I think. Was brilliant both defending and attacking down the left for Uruguay.

Hernandez wa sgood for france i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

rob316 wrote: »

You never pay sticker price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The extreme defender was convinced by Klopp and national teammate Firmino to choose the Reds, good at burning Chelsea .

https://www.pagineromaniste.com/mercato-roma-trovato-laccordo-con-il-liverpool-per-alisson-65-milioni-piu-10-di-bonus-il-portiere-e-pronto-a-firmare/

Actual translation: It's a done deal. Other outlets in Italy saying the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I can't believe in this day and age there hasn't been a Brewster's Millions meme made since he signed the contract last night.

Anyone young enough to make memes would be not old enough to remember Brewster's Millions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liverpool

Man City

Man Utd

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

I don't think there is much difference between all the above and I'm sure opinions as to who would have the best options would greatly differ. I would argue that Spurs would currently have the best (at least if just looking at top 3) but nothing much between the rest.

Spurs definitely have the best. Sanchez is very underrated. Then I'd have Chelsea, especially as it looks as though they'll get Rugani. After that I'd say it's a toss up between ourselves and City, and then same with United and Arsenal after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i don't blame Roma holding out for a huge fee.

we absolutely destroyed them on Salah, so they're welcome to a few extra million worth of a 'pity fee'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's a negotiation, that's how it works.

Chelsea don't appear to be in the mix.

Also, a transfer involves three parties, not two , so the player has to agree too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

8-10 wrote: »

Liverpool

Man City

Man Utd

Chelsea

Spurs

Arsenal

I don't think there is much difference between all the above and I'm sure opinions as to who would have the best options would greatly differ. I would argue that Spurs would currently have the best (at least if just looking at top 3) but nothing much between the rest.

Spurs definitely have the best. Sanchez is very underrated. Then I'd have Chelsea, especially as it looks as though they'll get Rugani. After that I'd say it's a toss up between ourselves and City, and then same with United and Arsenal after that.
    Alderweireld looks like he's leaving ,
    Sanchez is rate how he should be good when he's on it but makes more mistake than our very own Dejan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SlickRic wrote: »

we absolutely destroyed them on Salah, so they're welcome to a few extra million worth of a 'pity fee'.

€125 for Salah and Alisson.

If I remember correctly Salah cost us €90m and was cheap at that. Alisson is a bargain at €35m ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

In fairness it only became apparent subsequently that we had robbed them. It wasn't that a bad price at the time. If we're factoring hindsight into it Newcastle owe us a whooping refund on Carroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sky sources had previously indicated Liverpool had no plans to bid for Alisson this summer, but that was earlier in the window when the Premier League club believed the Brazil international was going to Real Madrid.

the alternative version is sky sources didn't have a clue when they reported it last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Did we get him cheap at the time? It's all well and good saying hes worth 200m now but he wasn't when we did. I remember seen plenty of bits that we broke our transfer record for a Chelsea flop.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Left back was a bit of a weird one this tournament, and it looks like they're only picking from the final four teams.

The one that stood out for me though was Laxalt at Uruguay, even though he's normally a left winger I think. Was brilliant both defending and attacking down the left for Uruguay.

Left midfield for Genoa. Spectacular on a good day, but is a bit non consistent - some times he disappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

TitianGerm wrote: »

If I remember correctly Salah cost us €90m and was cheap at that. Alisson is a bargain at €35m ;)

If you put it in that perspective then in very happy with how things may work out with alisson haah

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Paul Joyce is running it. Its go time folks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Nobody else worried by lack of actual Strikers if Ings/Divok/Sturridge/Solanke are gone/loaned/useless? Only Bobby up front, maybe could do with another defender??

gimli2112 wrote: »
    In fairness it only became apparent subsequently that we had robbed them. It wasn't that a bad price at the time. If we're factoring hindsight into it Newcastle owe us a whooping refund on Carroll.
    Did we get him cheap at the time? It's all well and good saying hes worth 200m now but he wasn't when we did. I remember seen plenty of bits that we broke our transfer record for a Chelsea flop.

lads, relax. I'm obviously making a bit of a joke based on the fact Salah has turned into a bargain.

NOTE TO SELF: make humour 100% obvious when online.

lads, relax. I'm obviously making a bit of a joke based on the fact Salah has turned into a bargain.

NOTE TO SELF: make humour 100% obvious when online.

That doesn't work in this thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Nobody else worried by lack of actual Strikers if Ings/Divok/Sturridge/Solanke are gone/loaned/useless? Only Bobby up front, maybe could do with another defender??

No. I trust the club to either bring in somebody under the radar - even if it gets to the stage of denial. Or Klopp to work his magic on somebody to fill in, even Lovern.

I think we could see Salah being used more as CF if that was the case with plenty of movement with other forward players. Thats why Shaqiri and hopefully Fekir are signed to give more options in the front three with them interchanging positions.

But lets just hope Bobby stays being an iron man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great to see the club finally spending the big bucks to make us compete.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

With the addition of Shaqiri, we could move Salah to the Fun Bobby slot and Shaq can play wide. Mane could probably do a similar job.

We also have Ox that can play in the wider slots as well.
    I'd still say that Fekir will be sorted out and he can fit in anywhere across the front 3 as well.

Sturridge is also talking a good game at the moment, it he stays fit (we've heard this before) I'm sure that he could sit up top and let the other lads do the backtracking.

To be fair we a low balling by almost doubling the World Record price for a keeper that's some class low balling.
    Lowballing? A world record fee ,he ain't worth half if it imo

It's still lowballing, lads
    xabi wrote: »
    You never pay sticker price

You do if you need the car, badly want it, but a lad with more money is standing behind you, ready to offer more.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    It's a negotiation, that's how it works.

Chelsea don't appear to be in the mix.

Also, a transfer involves three parties, not two , so the player has to agree too.

Chelsea have shafted us for players we thought wanted to come to us before. West London or Merseyside for a 25 year old millionaire?? Gee, I dunno!

The point is, we were/are gonna pay what Roma want to get him. Just stop messing around and get it done.

In fairness you have to admire Klopp and his determination to only go for the player he really wants. Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and maybe he would have settled for someone else but from his words I fully expected him to stick with Karius/Ward unless he got exactly who wanted rather than panic buy.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

BBC has it, top story in football section

You do if you need the car, badly want it, but a lad with more money is standing behind you, ready to offer more.

Chelsea have shafted us for players we thought wanted to come to us before. West London or Merseyside for a 25 year old millionaire?? Gee, I dunno!

The point is, we were/are gonna pay what Roma want to get him. Just stop messing around and get it done.

Yeah but now we have Klopp, Chelsea and the others don't. Who wouldn't want to play for him??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

It's called a negotiation. Pay full price straight up and every other team will demand extortionate fees for any other player we try buy.

We don't know that the lad with more money is actually willing to spend it on this particular 'car'

Chelsea did that when they were winning leagues and qualifying for the CL each season. They have missed CL 2 of the last 3 years. That factors in too.

You do understand that the price Roma want (and are willing to accept) and the price they would like are two different things?

TL: DR: I'm glad you aren't Liverpools Chief Negotiator!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    With the addition of Shaqiri, we could move Salah to the Fun Bobby slot and Shaq can play wide. Mane could probably do a similar job.

We also have Ox that can play in the wider slots as well.
    I'd still say that Fekir will be sorted out and he can fit in anywhere across the front 3 as well.

Sturridge is also talking a good game at the moment, it he stays fit (we've heard this before) I'm sure that he could sit up top and let the other lads do the backtracking.

A big part of the reason Bobby is so important is his energy and huge work rate. Massively contributed to Salah's amazing season by taking that workload off him with his selflessness, we cant afford to leave Sturridge just sit up front waiting for the chance for him just to finish (which there probably isn't anyone better in the squad at doing in fairness)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pearce is doing a FB live thing now about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

TitianGerm wrote: »

Yep, and we sold Torres for Andy Carroll + £15m ;)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Pearce is doing a FB live thing now about it.

Not really saying anything though other than we are now free to to to Allison, he's a #1 target and we have pulling power in the transfer market.
    Now that teams know the asking price, they are free to come in and counter now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'd take Cahill as a bench cb if he's willing and not looking for insane money,perfect for backup

one thing about this Alisson deal is it needs to be done now.

Courtois seems to be being shipped off now, so who knows what Chelsea are doing. hopefully we can convince Alisson before others get too involved.

Do your thing Fun Bobby :)

Benimar wrote: »
    TL: DR: I'm glad you aren't Liverpools Chief Negotiator!!

Smart lad!

I understand the concept of negotiating a price. I was just saying that I hoped Liverpool wouldn't have their eye wiped by another club over 4 poxy million when they were offering that high a fee in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Pearce just confirmed allison fee agreed 66.8M I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

Liverpool agree deal worth £67m with Roma for goalkeeper Alisson

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/liverpool-agree-deal-worth-67m-with-roma-for-goalkeeper-alisson-37131218.html

"It is now up to the 25-year-old to join Jurgen Klopp or wait to see if Chelsea match the Kop bid. "

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement