Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fieldog wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/1vrom

Welcome to LFC Becker...

;)

Ha! Was only half paying attention, got some land when the lyrics kicked in!

Strongest spine of a team since Rafa early days.

Impressive signings over the past 12 months it must be said. Addressing all the weaknesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ah well, it’ll be nice watching our goalie make a save.

It’s been a while.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Ah well, it’ll be nice watching our goalie make a save.

It’s been a while.

It'll be nice expecting our goalie to make a save.

It had gotten to the stage where every ball that ended up safe was treated like the keeper had just pulled off a miracle. Expectations so low that your average save looked world class out of pure relief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Klopp "pretty sure" there will be no more signings.

Kinda feel like we are one attacker short given that Shaqiri is basically replacing the Ox. Maybe banking/hoping/praying for Sturridge and Lallana to be available more regularly this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reckon the only way Fekir is coming is if Aulas blinks first and gives into the clubs demands.

If not i reckon he will join in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Capture.jpg

Wife's a keeper too. Win Win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

First Team

Alisson, TAA, Lovern, VVD, Robertson, Fabihno, Kieta, Henderson, Salah, Bobby, Mane.

Second Team

Karius, Clyne, Matip, Klaven, Moreno, Milner, Gini, Lalana, Ojo (Ox), Sturridge, Shaqiri.

In fairness that's probably the two best teams on Merseyside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Tremendous summer of transfers, all wrapped up nice and early too. Possible outgoings to come, though maybe nothing else coming in. Seems like as of right now we are by far the happiest transferwise in the top 6.

Lot of doom and gloom "over the wall", the stadium works for Spurs has pretty much killed them stone dead financially. Arsenal are rebuilding. Mahrez a good signing for City but they didn't really need him. God knows what will happen at Chelsea, anything.

Let's see what the next 3 weeks bring, Liverpool can kinda relax I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

TitianGerm wrote: »
    First Team

Alisson, TAA, Lovern, VVD, Robertson, Fabihno, Kieta, Henderson, Salah, Bobby, Mane.

Second Team

Karius, Clyne, Matip, Klaven, Moreno, Milner, Gini, Lalana, Ojo (Ox), Sturridge, Ings.

In fairness that's probably the two best teams on Merseyside.

I'd have Shaqiri and Gomez in the 2nd team.

We got him for a very reasonable price in the end. The sale of Ward has already put a huge dent in the price we paid.

joe_99 wrote: »
    I'd have Shaqiri and Gomez in the 2nd team.

Forgot about Shaqiri. I'd stick with Klaven and Matip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fabinho has said MmmmBop is buzzing about the transfer Business Liverpool are doing this summer.

Let’s break another world record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Actually smiling about that signing. Been a while since I did that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Best summer since we signed Barnes & Beardsley.

Best since Big Andy and Stewie D for me

Forget that Big Andy and was a January signing.

Stewie D and Chucky Adam was the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

murpho999 wrote: »
    Best summer since we signed Barnes & Beardsley.

I liked the one where we got Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In other news I hardly ever watch any pre season games but caught most of the Blackburn game this evening.

Keita by a mile the best player on the pitch. Looked top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Hopefully he turns out to be a bargain.
    All we need to do now is spend some of the Coutinho money and we're sorted.

• Advertisement

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/19/liverpool-fabinho-pedigree-kylian-mbappe

“mbappe has already said he will remain at PSG for the next season but I will try slowly to convince him to come to Liverpool,” says Fabinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Fair play to the owners for backing their manager again in this window with spending around 180M.:eek:

Keita... Well he just looks the business.

Fabinho... Never heard of him before he signed.

Shaqiri... Grand squad player on the cheap.

Alisson... Lot of money for a Keeper and going by the games I've seen him play, I certainly wouldn't be signing him(in Fifa) but I trust Klopp and the scouts, so fingers crossed he lives up to his reputation. Anyways cant be any worse than the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I liked the one where we got Torres

Me too but Barnes and Beardsley won more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I refuse to believe that Klopp doesn't want another forward - even if Markovic stays! :)

Agent Fabinho is on the case for next year! :pac:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/19/liverpool-fabinho-pedigree-kylian-mbappe

Best since Big Andy and Stewie D for me

Forget that Big Andy and was a January signing.

Stewie D and Chucky Adam was the one.

Our last fab four with a Brazilian keeper.

0b17afe75af3f44abc3570bcd3b7594e.jpg

Roma released the price.

£56m with add-ons of £9m bringing it to a total of roughly depending on exchange rates £65m./€72.5m

The Brazilian goalkeeper goes to the English club for a fixed sum of 62.5 million euros, and variable, up to a maximum of 10 million euros, for bonuses linked to the achievement by the club and the player of certain sports objectives .

Alisson, who arrived in Rome in July 2016, has played 64 times in the Giallorossi between league and cups.

http://www.asroma.com/it/notizie/2018/07/alisson-ceduto-a-titolo-definitivo-al-liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Absolutely delighted that we now have a proper keeper its going to make a big difference.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Fair play to the owners for backing their manager again in this window with spending around 180M.:eek:

Keita... Well he just looks the business.

Fabinho... Never heard of him before he signed.

Shaqiri... Grand squad player on the cheap.

Alisson... Lot of money for a Keeper and going by the games I've seen him play, I certainly wouldn't be signing him(in Fifa) but I trust Klopp and the scouts, so fingers crossed he lives up to his reputation. Anyways cant be any worse than the other two.

How had you never hear of Fabhino?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    How had you never hear of Fabhino?

Dont watch french football and dont read the utd thread that often:D

He probably played a couple of CL games for Monaco but that team had many star players that he was probably overlooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Just caught up with the goals tonight, nice assist from Keita for Sturridge, lovely finish from Dan The Man, definitely still the most natural finisher at the club and in England!

Regards Alisson I think most people agreed he didn't stand out in the matches against us or for Brazil at the World Cup but having read more about him since and seeing gushing praise about him and his style of play I'm really hopeful that we might have solved the GK crisis, looking forward to his first attempt at taking on an attacker and getting serious heart palpitations!

Charlie19 wrote: »

He probably played a couple of CL games for Monaco but that team had many star players that he was probably overlooked.

Bit like that that Porto team from 2004... a bunch of players who were really good that year, but individually largely become much more famous after they left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Delighted with the big spend on a keeper. Time and Time again Klopp chases the player he really wants and the club don't hold back and get him.

Fantastic summer spend in a world cup year going head to head with other big spenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Roma Redditor with this post
    For people wondering what Liverpool're getting:

The perfect keeper, in all senses. Pretty much literally. I’d hardly be exaggerating if I said that anything that a human could have stopped last season, he did, while he's great at running out, at passing, and even pulling out random ridiculous skills under pressure on the ball.

Two things I’d comment specifically on: his handling, and his ball-control.

People for some reason have come up with some narrative that he can’t hold shots, that he always parries or spills them. It’s a load of rubbish; in fact it’s one of his strengths: I’ve seem him regularly hold shots that basically no other keeper would hold.

The other thing: the first few times, you’ll get scared when he tries something ridiculous on the ball under pressure from an opposition player: trying to dribble around them, feint, backheel it past them, he does it all. And we've all got in our mind at the moment even more than normal just how badly it can go after that World Cup final. But when you see him do it each time and always, always pull it off, the fear completely disappears. I had complete confidence in him to never **** up, no matter how dodgy the situation looked; and he never did.

The only time he didn’t look quite at that level was in the CL matches against Barcelona and against Liverpool. This was where the spilling shots thing came from. I remember it really standing out to me against Barcelona, because I’d never seen Alisson not be effectively perfect. Not that he had a shocker in any of the games, but he looked human there (and only there).For Brazil he’s looked at times like that as well. At the same time, in none of the massive Serie A games did he do anything other than smash it.

So I reckon it does seem like he could have a slight problem with getting overawed by truly massive occasions, when the whole footballing world is watching him, but only there. And I would stress that it is just slight.

In sum, people talking about whether he’s overrated are chatting completely out of their arses and I can only conclude they saw at most, I don't know, 10 games of his with Roma last year.

The big question is not his ability, it’s whether last season will be a one off. I don’t think so, considering he was

a. Brazil’s first keeper and playing so well at Internacional that we spent ~11m on him (maybe today and for most people here that seems like nothing, but for Roma and even more so for Roma 3 yrs ago that was very far from an insignificant fee)

b. great also in the Europa League, when he had a chance to show it, in his first season. When we didn’t buy Szczesny, I was pretty much completely fine with giving Alisson a shot as our first keeper last season because of how he’d played when he did play. And, to be clear, no keeper in the world was benching Szczesny that year.

c. I genuinely can’t remember a keeper ever having a completely world class season all throughout only to prove a one season wonder. I don’t know why, but it doesn’t seem like it happens too much with keepers. Partly, maybe, due to the way keepers are judged compared to outfield players: a striker misses two chances and scores one, and the two misses are basically eliminated in people's memory of how he played; a keeper makes two errors but makes one great save, and no one remembers anything but the mistakes.

My thoughts as a Roma fan

Personally, I’m not happy we’ve sold him for so little. Most people will maybe think that sounds ridiculous, but I really think it. There’s no doubt in my mind that:

a. if it weren’t for Alisson we wouldn’t have finished top 4

b. if it weren’t for Alisson we wouldn’t have got where we did in the Champions League

c. Alisson will be a top 5 keeper in the world for the next decade, there or thereabouts.

Yeah, it’s a record fee for a keeper by some way, and yeah, keepers go for way less, but for me we should only have sold him for a truly ridiculous fee (for any player) in today’s market. Especially since we were selling to a Prem team. If we didn’t sell him this year, we’d be able to get more for him next year; I’m sure of it.

We’ve sold him instead for little more (assuming addons are fulfilled) than the price we paid combined for Patrick Schick and Gregoire Defrel, than we got for Rudiger and Paredes combined last year

I can understand it: we’re Roma, not Real Madrid, Man City, PSG, and besides any of that we can’t compete with Prem wages; anything could have happened if he’d stayed, from him never reaching his form of last year to him suddenly discovering he has a brain injury (as happened with Leandro Castán); it could well be that he really, really wanted to go, and so we barely had a choice (though Monchi has said to the contrary); it’s simply Monchi’s way of doing things, and at least if there’s someone you’d trust to unearth some proper gems with €75m., he’d be up there.

Still though, I personally can’t feel too happy about it. It’s not soul-crushing, obviously, (any Roma fan has had time by now to get used to the feeling of selling great players, and he’s not one of those, either, who you feel really, really bleed Roma), but I am sad. Now let's see who we get to replace him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/909oln/official_liverpool_sign_alisson_becker/e2oschw/?utm_content=permalink&utm_medium=front&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You'd almost feel bad for Gerrard being born 10 years too early. Imagine him in his prime with this team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Knex. wrote: »
    You'd almost feel bad for Gerrard being born 10 years too early. Imagine him in his prime with this team?

Insert Randy Marsh jizzing gif

Knex. wrote: »

He did alright still though, with the best of Houllier and Rafa winning him everything in the game aside from the league.

Would really love to have seen what a peak Gerrard could have done playing in behind Salah, Mane and Firmino though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kinda feel like we are one attacker short given that Shaqiri is basically replacing the Ox. Maybe banking/hoping/praying for Sturridge and Lallana to be available more regularly this season.

A little bummed out about Fekir.

It's a good window. We've made progress as is.

I don't think our squad can win this league.

Progress is the key, and if we get another season like 3 years ago, where all the other top teams are ****e, we wont do an Arsenal and let the likes of Leicester win the league, but another trophyless season would kinda make you wonder what's the point.

Defences don't win championships. Attacks do. But I definitely think defences win you cup competitions, so hopefully, we can snag one of those, maybe even the CL, get a lot closer to first and have a ****ing blast watching this team while we're doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Hopefully that's just Klopp trying to keep a lid on the excitement. Someone pointed out before that we may still need another midfielder considering that since last summer we’ve lost Coutinho, Can and Ox (effectively) and replaced them with Keita, Fabinho and Shaqhiri. We actually have the same numbers, and last year we looked short in terms of midfielders. Milner’s a year older too (even though it still looks like he’s got a full tank, in fairness), so it could be that Klopp is relying on Lallana to stay fit this season to give us some extra depth.

Or does he still have an eye on Fekir, that’s the question.

If the Fekir knee stories are true it would be hard for the club to take that risk signing a player for £50/60m who may be finished as a player if he does his knee and with the Sturridge, Ings & Lallana being pretty much full time sick notes that wouldn't be worth the risk.

Now get Sturridge & Ings off the books that may change that risk wage wise.

If the Fekir knee stories are true it would be hard for the club to take that risk signing a player for £50/60m who may be finished as a player if he does his knee and with the Sturridge, Ings & Lallana being pretty much full time sick notes that wouldn't be worth the risk.

Now get Sturridge & Ings off the books that may change that risk wage wise.

Wasn't there some alleged insider who posted elsewhere a few days ago, that Liverpool feel that Fekir’s last Op was slightly botched and basically they wanted him to have corrective surgery (putting him out for a month), which he agreed to, but also wanted to re-negotiate the deal with Lyon to be more appearance based? This is where Lyon pulled out, hoping Fekir would have a stormer of a WC to invite other offers. He’s obviously a WC winner now, but didn’t really get to play much, so his valuation hasn’t really changed. I think Lyon will sell to Liverpool but the negotiations will be very interesting on this one!

You're right though - if we get a few high earners off the pay-roll it may lower the risk of signing someone like Fekir.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Wasn't there some alleged insider who posted elsewhere a few days ago, that Liverpool feel that Fekir’s last Op was slightly botched and basically they wanted him to have corrective surgery (putting him out for a month), which he agreed to, but also wanted to re-negotiate the deal with Lyon to be more appearance based? This is where Lyon pulled out, hoping Fekir would have a stormer of a WC to invite other offers. He’s obviously a WC winner now, but didn’t really get to play much, so his valuation hasn’t really changed. I think Lyon will sell to Liverpool but the negotiations will be very interesting on this one!

You're right though - if we get a few high earners off the pay-roll it may lower the risk of signing someone like Fekir.

Still hard to sign a lad and then take the risk of having an OP before he even plays.

What happens if that op is botched after you outlay £50/60m and £120k a week for 5 years.

Maybe the club wanted Lyon to take that risk before we signed him and they refused to take that risk themselves.

Well, if Lyon take the advice and give him the corrective surgery, then it would open up a January deal, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

brilliant news, it can never be underestimated how important a great keeper is, backbone of the whole team. Personally i would like another defender over a striker, Sturridge when fit is up there with the top strikers in the world, he can be quite clinical. However, now the midfield is also strengthened, maybe the defenders we have may be alright, Lovern makes me nervous though!

• Advertisement

Hopefully a few clubs will all fall for the Daniel Sturridge looks sharp again that some fans fall for over and over again whenever he puts in a couple of games back to back without picking up an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Anyone know what squad number Alisson will get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Apart from Ward which keeper is to go? Mignolet? I thought someone had interest in him previously? Leave Karius as second choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

We have the best manager in the world to suit us....

When your first LFC.TV interview gets interrupted by the boss man, doesn't seem like they met in Blackpool in fairness :

https://mobile.twitter.com/LFC/status/1020063557726220288/video/1

His English seems pretty good while talking with Klopp.

Interview done in Portuguese thought.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement