Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Fieldog wrote: »
    We have the best manager in the world to suit us....

When your first LFC.TV interview gets interrupted by the boss man, doesn't seem like they met in Blackpool in fairness :

https://mobile.twitter.com/LFC/status/1020063557726220288/video/1

Alisson's has English as a language too it seems, all good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

His English seems pretty good while talking with Klopp.

Interview done in Portuguese thought.

The Pochetino Gambit.

When your first LFC.TV interview gets interrupted by the boss man, doesn't seem like they met in Blackpool in fairness :

Sakho will feel hard done by watching that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Poor Karius. He must've had such hopes.

He can't even go now. He'd be better off geting a midtable club in France or Germany on loan, but Mignolet really does need to go, and if Ward's gone as well, Karius will have to stay put, constantly reminded of how it's all gone wrong.

The club really needs to support him. I worry for his health.

Gbear wrote: »
    He'd be better off geting a midtable club in France or Germany on loan,

For his own sake, he really, really needs this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

His English seems pretty good while talking with Klopp.

Interview done in Portuguese thought.

Yes, always a bonus. His level of English seemingly being decent along with Bobby and Fabinho there will be a huge help in settling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

corwill wrote: »
    Sakho will feel hard done by watching that.

:pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brilliant news, it can never be underestimated how important a great keeper is, backbone of the whole team. Personally i would like another defender over a striker, Sturridge when fit is up there with the top strikers in the world, he can be quite clinical. However, now the midfield is also strengthened, maybe the defenders we have may be alright, Lovern makes me nervous though!

Sturridge when fit.

Its like a unicorn or big foot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

noodler wrote: »
    Sturridge when fit.

Its like a unicorn or big foot though.

It's better when we are not waiting for him to be fit though. He's just available, or he's not. I'm not the physio, I no longer care. Better option to have when chasing a goal than Solanke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

Lovely moment captured there. Allison comes across well, can see why Roma players say he will be a big loss to their dressing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

He can't even go now. He'd be better off geting a midtable club in France or Germany on loan, but Mignolet really does need to go, and if Ward's gone as well, Karius will have to stay put, constantly reminded of how it's all gone wrong.

Yup he needs to leave to restart his career. That was crystal clear as soon as the final whistle blew in Kiev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I think we'll end up with Mig as #2, he's one of the least ambitious Liverpool players I've seen in recent years. He'll be happy to warm the bench for the next few seasons and see his contract out.

We bought Karius for very little and he's on tiny wages, he put in a decent shift for us for half of last season. No doubt Virgil and Robertson helped but still he was part of a defensive unit that was very solid.

If Ward is off and Mig' isn't going anywhere (just signed an extension last season) then it would be easy enough for the club to loan out Karius for the season IMO. Mig' is better than a seemingly broken (temporarily hopefully) Karius as a bench keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Augeo wrote: »
    We bought Karius for very little and he's on tiny wages, he put in a decent shift for us for half of last season. No doubt Virgil and Robertson helped but still he was part of a defensive unit that was very solid.

If Ward is off and Mig' isn't going anywhere (just signed an extension last season) then it would be easy enough for the club to loan out Karius for the season IMO. Mig' is better than a seemingly broken (temporarily hopefully) Karius as a bench keeper.

Well, I'd argue we need to have three keepers on the books - so Allison, Karius, Mignolet. Unless Kelleher can usurp one of the later two.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I think we'll end up with Mig as #2, he's one of the least ambitious Liverpool players I've seen in recent years. He'll be happy to warm the bench for the next few seasons and see his contract out.

I would take that. He'd be a good number 2, I'd have more confidence in him these days than Karius.

I know this debate has been had over and over about him before but right now there's no argument anymore for Mig to be number 1 which is what the main issue with him previously was. We're not going to get anyone else in. Ward is leaving, Karius is broken and the drop after that to the youngsters is far too much. There's better goalkeepers than Mignolet across Europe right now that are number 2 at their clubs.

We shouldn't need to use our backup keeper this season, but if that situation arises I'd be fine with Mig

Well, I'd argue we need to have three keepers on the books - so Allison, Karius, Mignolet. Unless Kelleher can usurp one of the later two.

That's true too I suppose.
    I don't think remaining on the bench will help Karius though and all considered (wages, what he cost us and his participation in a very decent season) the club should facilitate him getting first team football somewhere if that's what's best for him.

I dunno, maybe he wants to stay and battle it out with Mig' for bench or domestic cup time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Feel sorry for the guy, he seems like a decent bloke and I'd like to see him move to the continent, and get his confidence back and rebuild his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mignolet seems happy enough trying to funny on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

A little bummed out about Fekir.

It's a good window. We've made progress as is.

I don't think our squad can win this league.

Progress is the key, and if we get another season like 3 years ago, where all the other top teams are ****e, we wont do an Arsenal and let the likes of Leicester win the league, but another trophyless season would kinda make you wonder what's the point.

Defences don't win championships. Attacks do. But I definitely think defences win you cup competitions, so hopefully, we can snag one of those, maybe even the CL, get a lot closer to first and have a ****ing blast watching this team while we're doing it.

Are you having a laugh? We have a tremendous squad now and can very much challenge for the league.

Personally, im sick of hearing about Fekir. We had a chance to buy him and decided not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Defences don't win championships. Attacks do.

No but a great defense certainly helps. Look at Leicster. Look at City. Concede less last season and we would have had a few more points on the board to compete better.

United had a good defense and were not great up front but still came in second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Madness, one of them has to go and will, why would Mig want to be third choice anywhere when he can be first choice at most clubs? Grabara is the keeper to keep an eye on rather than Kelleher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

He's been making noises about moving on since he lost his place to Karius.
    We'll have to see if he has any follow through on that.
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh? We have a tremendous squad now and can very much challenge for the league.

Personally, im sick of hearing about Fekir. We had a chance to buy him and decided not to.

Can this squad get 95 points? That's what I think the goal needs to be, and even then it might not be enough. I'm not convinced. It's not impossible, but I don't think we will have that level of consistency.

That isn't really a criticism, because the level City have reached is very difficult to match.

It mightn't be reasonable to expect any more signings on a financial level, and it mightn't even be desirable in terms of integrating them into the side at once.

That said, I don't think we have the depth in attack. We were lucky last season in terms of injuries to the front 3. We need that at a minimum again. If any of them get a long term injury...

If our opponents stumble I think we can take advantage, and that needs to be the minimum expectation of this club every season, but I don't think we'll be the ones setting the standard.

I don't think Migs will stay, in fact it as understood that he spoke to Klopp when he lost the #1 spot saying he couldn't stay to sit on the bench.
    He'll have interested clubs in for him. I think Leicester could have done worse than him as first choice is Kasper goes, but let's see where the moves happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dickerty wrote: »
    I don't think Migs will stay, in fact it as understood that he spoke to Klopp when he lost the #1 spot saying he couldn't stay to sit on the bench.
    He'll have interested clubs in for him. I think Leicester could have done worse than him as first choice is Kasper goes, but let's see where the moves happen...

Statistically he's the worst of our keepers so no problem seen him go. Before the CL final I don't think anyone would of had a problem with Karius been no.2

Probably not great for Karius brand though 1LK, been no.2

Can this squad get 95 points? That's what I think the goal needs to be, and even then it might not be enough. I'm not convinced. It's not impossible, but I don't think we will have that level of consistency.

That isn't really a criticism, because the level City have reached is very difficult to match.

That said, I don't think we have the depth in attack. We were lucky last season in terms of injuries to the front 3. We need that at a minimum again. If any of them get a long term injury...

If our opponents stumble I think we can take advantage, and that needs to be the minimum expectation of this club every season, but I don't think we'll be the ones setting the standard.

I don't see City having the same run they had last season, that was exceptional. We also won't have to wait 5/6 games for Salah to bed in. We will have Allison and VVD for the full season, and I don't think Keita will take long to settle. Robertson and VVD both came into their best only after Jan, that's when we were at our best.

We absolutely have the first XI to score tons of goals and be very scabby at the back. If we can keep them fit, and support them well from the bench (Matip, Clyne, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri et al), there is nothing stopping us from winning the large majority of our games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

From what I've seen so far, the players that we have signed seem genuinely delighted to be a LFC player now and are in somewhat awe of Klopp when they get the first half hug and back slap combo.
    I think that Becker was disappointed that he didn't get the full bear hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    From what I've seen so far, the players that we have signed seem genuinely delighted to be a LFC player now and are in somewhat awe of Klopp when they get the first half hug and back slap combo.
    I think that Becker was disappointed that he didn't get the full bear hug.

Can we nickname him Boris? I keep spelling his name wrong - Allison, Alisson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If the club could sell Mig and send Karius out on a loan for a season or two to rebuild his career maybe they should try and sign someone like Begovic as a number 2.

He is experienced enough to deal with being thrown in if needed and I'd say he would be happy enough at his age to be a number 2 at a top club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I still feel we are about one attacker short.

Ings not good enough and a sick note, solanke not good enough, origi not good enough and sturridge a sick note.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Can we nickname him Boris? I keep spelling his name wrong - Allison, Alisson?

That's why I'm going with safer option of Becker.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »

Ings not good enough and a sick note, solanke not good enough, origi not good enough and sturridge a sick note.

For this reason I think we're still interested in Fekir - predominately an attacking mid but can also fit into a forward line if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Alisson seems start struck in that

ricero wrote: »

But all of Firmino, Salah and Mane can play central, and Shaqiri can come in wide, so I'm not obsessed with another #9.
    The talk a few weeks back was that they had agreed to let Ings go, Southampton being mentioned.

Aside from us, not many clubs have been active. City, Chelsea and United have made one big signing each, Spurs none. Arsenal have done a bit, but no really big deals. And they only have 4 more weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No need to buy a striker save the money for next summer for when Fab has convinced MmmBop to join us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

pgyc1yxq92b11.jpg

I love the memes and shítposting on Reddit...

Dickerty wrote: »
    I don't see City having the same run they had last season, that was exceptional. We also won't have to wait 5/6 games for Salah to bed in. We will have Allison and VVD for the full season, and I don't think Keita will take long to settle. Robertson and VVD both came into their best only after Jan, that's when we were at our best.

Do you expect salah to score as much?
    Can our front 3 & Co better last year's performance?

City mightn't be as good next season but there's a gulf to close 15 pts ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i fúcking love this club.

the salt dripping from Utd fans around me in work, and my friends, is fúcking laughable. all annoyed at José for being so fúcking miserable, and telling the fans that pre-season has been 'very bad'.

whereas our lads are just getting on with what needs to be done. like a big club. it's about time we acted like one. the rivals aren't used to it, and just want us to 'stay in our place'. we were knocked off our perch many years ago, and we've no right to even threaten to come back. fúck that. we've one of the best managers in the world, a now proven draw for top players, who now has a squad capable of challenging on all fronts.

and yet I have to listen to Utd fans in here moaning about the fee; genuinely believing that if we win anything it's tarnished. they're also still calling Klopp a hyprocrite.

fúck off.

there is pressure on Klopp to get a trophy very soon. the squad is good enough. getting to a Champions League final is a fantastic start, but we need to get to the next level soon. our signings this window have been spot on. I'd like Fekir, but I agree with Klopp, it won't be a complete disaster if we don't.

fúck the critics.
    fúck the begrudgers.
    fúck the killjoys.

i don't remember looking forward to a season so much.

bring it on.

Augeo wrote: »
    Do you expect salah to score as much?
    Can our front 3 & Co better last year's performance?

City mightn't be as good next season but there's a gulf to close 15 pts ish.

I don't think the front 3 will need to be better. In fact, their numbers don't need to be even as good as last season, I think, as our defense and defensive midfield options have improved MASSIVELY since January, when half of last season had already been completed....

Robertson cementing his place in the team after being on the bench (or not even in the squad) for a long time, VVD coming in January and shoring things up big time with no pre-season behind him, Alison and Fabinho arriving in this window. To have all these players available for a full season is huge and can help overhaul a 15 point swing between us and City - and that's assuming City match their performance of last season.

I love how the comments Klopp made about spending big are being dragged out rather than the more recent comments where he talks about having to compete with market prices.

Also, back when the comments where made, we were in somewhat of a development phase, we've steadied out since then and are now in a growth phase.

Times change, people's opinions change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think we are all getting excited a bit prematurely.
    We have lost Cou and Can recently are Keita and Fabhino really that much better ?
    We have no idea how Alisson will turn out but iagree surely he can't be worse than Karius and the other player we bought is Sharqi who will be on the bench and a good squad player ,
    At right back is still weak Trent is still very raw, We are one injury at LB or CB or CF from scraping the barrel to replace them ,
    I think we serious need to bring in Fekir or a player like him ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

Finally FSG are doing what is needed to give Klopp the best possibly opportunity to challenge. We had a wonderfully promising season last year and there are doing exactly what is needed now.

I think they learned from their mistakes in the past and are now doing exactly what many of us thought was needed. If you don’t spend you fall behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We have lost Cou and Can recently are Keita and Fabhino really that much better ?

We have no idea how Alisson will turn out but iagree surely he can't be worse than Karius and the other player we bought is Sharqi who will be on the bench and a good squad player ,
    At right back is still weak Trent is still very raw, We are one injury at LB or CB or CF from scraping the barrel to replace them ,

If you are asking that question you are asking the wrong question, why would they need to be that much better than Coutinho? First neither was bought to replace him and both are better than Can even at his best - Fabinho was the anchor of Monaco which allowed the attack to be so good while Keita is a one man football army. That you don't seem to know much about him is disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

regardless of weaknesses that still exist, this is the best shape our squad has been in in so long.

Can is barely a loss. we basically didn't have him for our end of season run.
    Coutinho is, obviously, but Klopp has tweaked the system to adapt to it. Keita is basically filling that role, but in a style that's more direct.
    Fabinho is a better DM than Henderson. And that signing could actually free Henderson up to do what he does best - hassle the shít out of the opposition and win the ball back higher.
    Alisson is fúcking class. Anything I've read from Roma fans is that they're gutted. I've a mate who is a Lazio fan (from the city!), who couldn't be happier. obviously it could go wrong, like all signings, but it's an exciting one.

i know we're Liverpool fans, and we're now conditioned to be a little pessimistic, but if we can't be excited by this team for this season, then i don't know what to say.

this doesn't mean I expect to win all before us. but it's so fúcking refreshing to be going in the right direction, and for owners, supporters, manager and players all on the same page. not every club can say that right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

doc_17 wrote: »
    Finally FSG are doing what is needed to give Klopp the best possibly opportunity to challenge.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Careful now - there are some that get agitated with people voicing such concerns. :)

Keita is a much better fit than Coutinho although he's not a like for like replacement.

Fabinho seems a much more mature player than Can and that is what we need in midfield.

Left back is a concern for me - Robertson can't play every game and Moreno has proved to be an unacceptable replacement.

A centre back we have Van Dijk and Lovren - Gomez and Klavan are fine for backups. Lovren played a lot of minutes at the World Cup so he will need to be rested during this season. I would gladly see the back of Matip and replace him with a utility player that could fill in across the back line.

Right back is covered - Clyne, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez and Fabinho can cover the position.

The backup for Firminio is a concern - the options are a mismatch in terms of suitability for the role or experience. Ings, Origi and Solanke need regular playing time to prove themselves, Sturridge has the quality but lacks the energy and fitness levels required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I fail to see how people can argue that Can is a big loss, I think he's been overrated by many here.

I'm not just saying that because he's gone. He disappeared in far too many games for my liking.

Clearly for Klopp too as he would have made sure we kept him if he was that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

SlickRic wrote: »
    i know we're Liverpool fans, and we're now conditioned to be a little pessimistic, but if we can't be excited by this team for this season, then i don't know what to say.

this doesn't mean I expect to win all before us. but it's so fúcking refreshing to be going in the right direction, and for owners, supporter, manager and players all on the same page. not every club can say that right now.
    Did you think we weren't going in the right direction before? Not looking to snipe at you, just find it a curious phrase to use in relation to Liverpool given the progress the club has made since Klopp was appointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

doc_17 wrote: »
    Finally FSG are doing what is needed to give Klopp the best possibly opportunity to challenge. We had a wonderfully promising season last year and there are doing exactly what is needed now.

I think they learned from their mistakes in the past and are now doing exactly what many of us thought was needed. If you don’t spend you fall behind.

Totally agree. I have been very critical of FSG in the past but they seem to of finally "gotten it" and trust Klopp.

To be a top club, you must act like a top club.

I believe that FSG have just been sticking to the business model of stabalising the club, turning a profit, planning for the future and now we are reaping the rewards of this with a growth/challenging period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If you are asking that question you are asking the wrong question, why would they need to be that much better than Coutinho? First neither was bought to replace him and both are better than Can even at his best - Fabinho was the anchor of Monaco which allowed the attack to be so good while Keita is a one man football army. That you don't seem to know much about him is disappointing.
    I think its disappointing that in all your years watching football you've yet to realise that players often come from poor leagues looking like world beater to fail in the Prem,
    Fabhino could be great but he could also be a failure and I doubt it would surprise people as it happens time and time again like Di Maria, Falco , Ballack, Shev, Veron , Pogba (so far)  so many top players have failed in the prem
    Phil was our best player for 3 season so is obviously a huge loss, Can I believe is very undervalued by Liverpool fans and there's a reason he ended up at Juve,
    I think Keita looks odds on to be a proper player but we don't know till we see him in the Prem,
    I just think people are getting excited a little early,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement