Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Sturridge scored 50 goals in 87 matches

Quicker to the 50 mark than Owen, Fowler, Suarez, Aldridge, Dalglish among others.

He never took penalties or free kicks

Not bad for a one season wonder riding on the Suarez effect.

Serious amnesia going on alright! The lad is a natural born predator in front of goal.

His talent is undeniable. His injury record is also undeniable. A real shame but it is what it is. If you dont play you are of no use as harsh as that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If fit and I know it's a big if,sturridge is in top 5 strikers in the LGE imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

NukaCola wrote: »
    His talent is undeniable. His injury record is also undeniable. A real shame but it is what it is. If you dont play you are of no use as harsh as that is.

Some people deny his talent, one season wonder and only played well because of Suarez etc...

Obv his injuries are a major problem but 10 games a season is better than having Ings, Solanke etc... Until we sign a replacement then I see no point in getting rid of him.

The West Brom move damaged him further, it was a great chance to play and maybe make a better move this summer if it worked out, but he got injured again.....no-one will touch him at this point so he'll be here for the season, any contribution he makes will be a bonus but I dont think we can even rely on him as a backup.

Sturridge is with Liverpool 6 and a half seasons. He has yet to hit 50 league goals. Speaks volumes.

17 league goals in the last 4 seasons

• Advertisement

Some people deny his talent, one season wonder and only played well because of Suarez etc...

Obv his injuries are a major problem but 10 games a season is better than having Ings, Solanke etc... Until we sign a replacement then I see no point in getting rid of him.

I wouldn't take anyone who says that seriously, probably trying to get in a needless dig. I'd keep him if no serious offer comes in, but I'm not sure we could rely on him even as a backup, any contribution is a bonus.

I wouldn't take anyone who says that seriously, probably trying to get in a needless dig. I'd keep him if no serious offer comes in, but I'm not sure we could rely on him even as a backup, any contribution is a bonus.

Fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sturridge has one year let on his deal so will probably sit tight and see out his contract now. If he can produce the odd goal off the bench I think we'd take that at this stage. First game he started with West Brom last season he went off injured after 3 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Klopp's system revolves around having a fluid attack, if one player is injured or needs a rest then anyone in the attack can play that position, we seen this at Dortmund and we're seeing it again in his Liverpool team.
    If Firmino is out then Salah will play through the middle(as he did towards the end of last season) and the same goes for Mane.
    Shaquri(sp), Ox, Lallana, Hendo are all comfortable playing in the Salah/Mane role.

Our strength comes from having players that can play in several positions, and crucially can play in those positions just as well as their natural positions, the obvious issues are the fitness of Lannana, Ox and Hendo.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sturridge goals by season

League Total
    2012–13 10 11
    2013–14 21 24
    2014–15 4 5
    2015–16 8 13
    2016–17 3 7
    2017–18 2 3

The one season wonder quip might seem harsh but in terms of goals he hasn't come close to matching it.

You're talking a lot about his goals for someone who's not talking about his goals.

• Advertisement

Point proven.

Sturridge total goals by season, league goals in brackets

2012–13 11(10)
    2013–14 24(21)
    2014–15 5(4)
    2015–16 13(8)
    2016–17 7(3)
    2017–18 3(2)

The one season wonder quip might seem harsh but in terms of goals he hasn't come close to matching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sturridge will find it difficult to score this season what with the goalposts being moved every few minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sturridge will find it difficult to score this season what with the goalposts being moved every few minutes.

The answer is simple so. Let's move the goalposts to the treatment room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

For anyone on here that are fans of the youtube channel redmen tv, they are having a live show in Murrays bar the Friday night before the Lfc v Napoli game in the Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How has Fabinho looked. Every pass seems to be back, and every forward pass gives away possession. That was case against Blackburn at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sturridge has one year let on his deal so will probably sit tight and see out his contract now. If he can produce the odd goal off the bench I think we'd take that at this stage. First game he started with West Brom last season he went off injured after 3 minutes.

One year to prove himself. If he wants to get another contract - anywhere - he's going to have to do something to justify it. Especially on his wages.

Otherwise, he have to lower his expectations kinda drastically.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OwaynOTT wrote: »

They used to love throwing out his goal scoring figures, then how he was a 1 in 2 striker, then goals to minutes became a thing, then there was the possibility of him having a ‘Van Persie’ season. The current argument of keeping him because he’s the most natural finisher at the club is probably the most ridiculous though...kinda like advocating a post accident Christopher Reeves for the role cos he was the most natural Superman.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The current argument of keeping him because he’s the most natural finisher at the club is probably the most ridiculous though.

Turty says hold my beer.....
    kinda like advocating a post accident Christopher Reeves for the role cos he was the most natural Superman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To think Sturridge the most naturally gifted goal scorer at the club and the fastest player ever to get to 50 goals might just have that record smashed by a overpriced winger.

It took Sturridge 87 games over 3.5 seasons to do it.

Salah could do it in less than a season and half He has already played 52 games and scored 44 goals in one season.

I think I might dispute now who is the most naturally gifted goal scorer at the club as well.

Actually the 87 games over 3.5 seasons to 52 games in 1 season say a lot too.

• Advertisement

Danny Ward to be sold, Ryan Kent off to Rangers v2

USA jamboree Liverpool squad:

First team - Clyne, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita, Mane, Salah, Gomez,
    Klavan, Moreno, Lallana, Shaqiri, Robertson, Solanke, Matip,

Loan/Sale candidates - Karius, Origi, Sturridge, Markovic, Ojo, Grujic, Chirivella

Academy - Phillips, Jones, Woodburn, Kelleher, Camacho, Grabara,

I'd like to see this team in action over the tour.

Goalkeeper

Clyne
    Gomez
    Van Dijk
    Robertson

Fabinho

Wijnaldum
    Ketia

Shaqiri
    Mane

Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Getting texts from very happy Liverpool fans. On paper some very good business done and problem areas addressed.

How is squad size strength and where do you think are the chinks in the armor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What's the craic with this preseason Champions cup thingy? I searched for fixtures and it looks like there is games on spread across the globe including the states, Munich, Singapore and others.

Are these separate cup competitions or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Not sure if posted before, but just light hearted stuff. His Mourinho is probably better than Klopp or Wenger

With Sturridge even the lads on here who love to get digs in about him would say he's a cracking talent IF he gets fit and on a roll.
    Miles better than Origi and Solanke.

However, from seeing him play a few minutes here and there last season he looks like he's not really the sort of player to come in and play well when used sporadically.

I think he needs to be playing a few games in a row to get his sharpness and that seldom happens.

I'm a fan of his, I think he's a massive talent but at this stage I'm thinking he wont even play much when he is fit, and coming in for the odd game doesnt seem to work with him.

So unfortunately I think he's best moving on, for both parties. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Since the beginning of the 15/16 season when Origi joined.

Sturridge has played in 66 games and scored 23 and had 8 assists in all competitions.

Origi has played in 77 games and scored 21 goals and had 7 assists in all competitions.

Not much between them to be honest and Origi also probably offers more due to his work rate if we are all being honest.

Sturridge has played in 66 games and scored 23 and had 8 assists in all competitions.

Origi has played in 77 games and scored 21 goals and had 7 assists in all competitions.

Not much between them to be honest and Origi also probably offers more due to his work rate if we are all being honest.

Origi played 11 games more and scored 2 fewer? Seems a big difference to me.

I dont think Origi is good enough personally. I think a fit Sturridge is, but he's never fit.

Also even when he is fit, Klopp wont pick him too often so he's just not going to get back to his best for us either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Is that maybe the point behind some of the skepticism regarding Sturridge making a 'come-back' - that injuries aside or assuming full fitness, he doesn't fit Klopp's style. The full-on press, tracking back when possession is lost etc., so if he was to play - as in start a full 90 and not a Hail Mary last 15min sub - it would mean having to change the formation/style to accommodate the fact that Studge dosen't commit the same way the current front 3 can to what Klopp expects from everyone? He played best when he was coupled with Suarez, feeding off each other as 2 out and out strikers and that's not a formation that I can remember Klopp using much, if at all?

Origi played 11 games more and scored 2 fewer? Seems a big difference to me.

I dont think Origi is good enough personally. I think a fit Sturridge is, but he's never fit.

Also even when he is fit, Klopp wont pick him too often so he's just not going to get back to his best for us either way.

That's games played in however if you do it by actual minutes on the pitch.

Sturridge 3407 = 38 games played

Origi 3715 = 41 games played .

So 2 goals over 3 games separating the best and most natural goal scorer in England and an average striker at Liverpool.

Not really a big difference there for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Obv his injuries are a major problem but 10 games a season is better than having Ings, Solanke etc...

Absolutely, but only if he's available for the ten games we actually need him. Coming on when we're already winning is no use to us.

That's games played in however if you do it by actual minutes on the pitch.

Sturridge 3407 = 38 games played

Origi 3715 = 41 games played .

So 2 goals over 3 games separating the best and most natural goal scorer in England and an average striker at Liverpool.

Not really a big difference there for me.

Wow, you really enjoy those digs don't you?

Weird that a Liverpool fan gets such a buzz out of slagging off a Liverpool player repeatedly.

But anyway.... I already said a fit Sturridge is a far better player than Origi, I'd stand firmly by that. I think both should move on, and both inevitably will, either this season or next.

God knows what you'll moan about when Sturridge leaves though.

Weird that a Liverpool fan gets such a buzz out of slagging off a Liverpool player repeatedly.

Whats the dig?

Plenty of post here today alone saying Sturridge is the best natural goal scorer in England

Since when is using stats slagging off?

Slagging off is every Liverpool fan in here that has destroyed Karius and Lovren over the years using stats to prove something isn't slagging off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

But anyway.... I already said a fit Sturridge is a far better player than Origi, I'd stand firmly by that. I think both should move on, and both inevitably will, either this season or next.

God knows what you'll moan about when Sturridge leaves though.

I cant see how anyone could argue with this. Origi stayed fit last season and did nothing in Germany. Sturridge injured is better than Origi fit

The lad knows how to take a penalty.

A 1 - 4 goal scorer from rightback/defensive midfield not bad at all.

• Advertisement

Now all that needs to happen is for a ref to actually award Liverpool one. Bring back the Penaltypool days :pac:

Mr.H wrote: »
    I cant see how anyone could argue with this. Origi stayed fit last season and did nothing in Germany. Sturridge injured is better than Origi fit

West Brom would probably disagree.....

Mr.H wrote: »

There really ought to be some sort of automatic sanction for posts that go beyond the call of stupid duty.

Origi is very under rated here, I think he's an ideal backup and scores when needed. I'd have him over Solanke/Ings/Sturridge no bother.

People pointing out he was rubbish in Germany, well thats what happens when you get loaned to a club that plays poor football and is one of the worst in the division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Most definitely underrated. Has had two really good spells where he demonstrated what he could bring to the team. His main problem has been doing it consistently.

He also has room to improve where as it’s clear Sturridge peaked with Suarez and has been on the decline since.

• Advertisement

I fully expect klopp to make the correct decisions with the forwards not currently in the "starting 11" :)

I do hope salah continues last seasons scoring etc too,invaluable to us.

Augeo wrote: »

I do hope salah continues last seasons scoring etc too,invaluable to us.

He probably wont, it was a mental amount of goals. But we should have a good balanced side this time with more chipping in from midfield than we're used to.
    Keeping Bobby free of injuries is more important than anyone else imo, he makes it all tick.
    If Salah hits 2/3rd of last season's figures I'd be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Origi is very under rated here, I think he's an ideal backup and scores when needed. I'd have him over Solanke/Ings/Sturridge no bother.

People pointing out he was rubbish in Germany, well thats what happens when you get loaned to a club that plays poor football and is one of the worst in the division.

I like Origi but he hasn't been as good since the Funes takcle in the Derby. He was flying before that and looked like he was really going to push on. Whether he's lost a bit of movement/speed or is afraid of being hurt again it's hard to know.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I like Origi but he hasn't been as good since the Funes takcle in the Derby. He was flying before that and looked like he was really going to push on. Whether he's lost a bit of movement/speed or is afraid of being hurt again it's hard to know.

Absolutely, he was in great form and that injury really set him back but I still think as a backup he can do the job. He probably wont be happy with that though.

Freesports are showing full delayed coverage of the ICC game v Dortmund on Monday evening - 7PM handy for anyone who misses it live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

TitianGerm wrote: »

He was also rushed back for the Europa League final which might not have helped in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully he can make an impact in preseason and come back into the first team squad, the stats he was putting up for a young player were really impressive at the time, he just needs to continue his development and he could become a fantastic squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Freesports are showing full delayed coverage of the ICC game v Dortmund on Monday evening - 7PM handy for anyone who misses it live.

It’s on the same channel live at 9pm tomorrow, not too late for a match in the states thankfully.

The game is also live on eir Sports 2 from 8.55pm tomorrow night.

martyos121 wrote: »
    It’s on the same channel live at 9pm tomorrow, not too late for a match in the states thankfully.

Ah no it's not - that's Premier Sports. It's subscription sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Most definitely underrated. Has had two really good spells where he demonstrated what he could bring to the team. His main problem has been doing it consistently.

He also has room to improve where as it’s clear Sturridge peaked with Suarez and has been on the decline since.

I don't buy this at all.

Sturridge was excellent in 13/14 and showed great ability. You can't give all the benefit to Suarez. Maybe Suarez created some extra space and time for him but you can't deny that Sturridge played some good games for us and he had some quality finishes that showed real talent. His goals against Arsenal and Everton spring to mind as examples.

Also he scored an excellent goal in the Europa League final to serve as more evidence of his footballing talent.

The problem is his body and his mentality. His injury record over the years is appalling and I'm not sure all of them were genuine and I'm sure he could have played through many of them but he doesn't have the mentality for it.

This is what would make me doubt him and not trust him as back up to the front three and I would prefer an upgrade.

However, it's Klopp's call and I'd love for Sturridge to prove all doubters wrong.

I don't get why some posters here just seem to have a campaign against him to the extent that they deny what he achieved in 13/14.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement