Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ah no it's not - that's Premier Sports. It's subscription sister.

My bad, it’s on Eir Sports 2 and I assumed they were still showing all the Premier Sports content. Still, it’s on Eir Sports 2 for anyone who has that, never heard of Freesports before tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Freesports is on Sky (dunno channel number) and Freesat (252) and is due to go HD very soon.

Freesports is on Sky (dunno channel number) and Freesat (252) and is due to go HD very soon.

It’s not on Sky. At least not yet anyway, not sure if there are plans for it down the line.

EDIT: I see you can manually tune it in on Sky though, but it isn’t a part of the Sky Ireland EPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Freesports is on Other Channels on sky boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Liverpool supposed to have had a bid of 20million accepted for vida who besiktas signed on a free in january,they must think lovren will be more focused with his teammate being his teammate.

Liverpool supposed to have had a bid of 20million accepted for vida who besiktas signed on a free in january,they must think lovren will be more focused with his teammate being his teammate.

That story has been going on since the World Cup final, nowhere reliable reporting it yet so it’s dubious IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also he scored an excellent goal in the Europa League final to serve as more evidence of his footballing talent.

The problem is his body and his mentality. His injury record over the years is appalling and I'm not sure all of them were genuine and I'm sure he could have played through many of them but he doesn't have the mentality for it.
    He also scored 6 goals in 8 league appearances in the run up to the end of the 2015/16 season. Klopp got him in the right frame of mind for that run and the team benefited.

Now the manager has a team that don't need to rely upon Sturridge for goals and that plays a role in the psychology of the situation. After the West Brom loan, Sturridge needs to prove himself again. Given the way Klopp has selected the preseason teams he is giving the player the opportunity to do so.

Since we are in America and playing BVB tomorrow of course Klopp was asked.
    Klopp on Pulisic: "He has a contract with Dortmund. That's a problem, hey? It's deserved that people think highly of him. He's in a really good club for his development."

https://twitter.com/jamespearceecho/status/1020756376644128768?s=21

Klopp on being a hypocrite ;)
    Klopp on spending big £££: "I couldn't imagine that the world would change completely a few years ago. My responsibility is for this club to be as successful as possible."

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1020757618653003776

Klopp: "Did I change my opinion? Yes. It's better to change your opinion than not have one at all."

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1020757967480729600

• Advertisement

That’ll send the United thread into oblivion again. :D

I’ve been following it on and off this summer and they’ve spoken more about Klopp than their own transfer dealings (or lack thereof). And when someone calls them out on it, they call us obsessed. :pac:

martyos121 wrote: »
    That’ll send the United thread into oblivion again. :D

I’ve been following it on and off this summer and they’ve spoken more about Klopp than their own transfer dealings (or lack thereof). And when someone calls them out on it, they call us obsessed. :pac:

Short memories
    "We're not like other clubs who can spend fortunes on proven goods"

Fergie 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

For me any one of original,sturridge,solanke and ings are for there own reasons handy to have as backup. The only one I could see pushing on is Solanke, none the rest I can see being any more temporary backup until we get better. I can't see the other three ever pushing for first tem at Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Clyne off to palace apparently doing the rounds

Hope not. I like Clyne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sounds like a bad move, unless he's had problems with his recovery. He's looked fit and mobile since he came back through...

Really wouldn't like to be relying on TAA and Gomez for right back... I know Fabinho can play there too, but he's likely going to be first and foremost a midfielder, with all his work in training based around that.

Clyne is the only out and out right back at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Be a pity to see clyne go but I'm not sure klopp has ever been mad on him. Fabinho also plays right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

As part of a swap for zaha,cheeky way to make sure united get screwed over on their share of the fee,only joking obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nothing about it on Reddit.

Would he be on the tour if a transfer was imminent? Ings was apparently left behind for that reason.

Would hate to see him go unless last season out has really had a bad impact on him. Gomez isn’t up to it, and I don’t think Alexander Arnold’s mistakes will be brushed aside as easily this season.

Clyne a target for Palace is the story.

I’d sell them Gomez before I’d sell them Clyne.

Gomez & Ings for Zaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Fabinho still no number. Waiting on No.2 is a possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Wouldn't sell him unless a mad offer came in and I doubt it's a crazy fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Clyne in a deal to bring Zaha the other way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Watched a couple of clips of Fabinho earlier and have to say I'm very impressed, he actually reminded me a little of Patrick Viera.

Clyne to Palace for Zaha or Mig to Barca for Dembele, hmmm :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Fromvert wrote: »
    Fabinho still no number. Waiting on No.2 is a possibility

Has he tried any laxatives?

Has he tried any laxatives?

Ba dum tss;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Ba dum tss;)

Bad bum or piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

There really ought to be some sort of automatic sanction for posts that go beyond the call of stupid duty.

Yet you post anyway........ haha just kidding.

Of course sturridge needs to go. But origi is not the solution.

Yawns wrote: »
    Bad bum or piss

Bad bum in this case....
    Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Really wouldn't like to be relying on TAA and Gomez for right back... I know Fabinho can play there too, but he's likely going to be first and foremost a midfielder, with all his work in training based around that.

They did get us to a champions league final

Mr.H wrote: »
    They did get us to a champions league final

So did karius ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

No, Lovren brought us to the CL final....Don't believe me? Just ask him.

Selling Clyne would be smart business IMO. He’s probably at his peak transfer value right now, whatever that may be, and we have first class cover for TAA in the shape of Fabinho, as well as good cover for him in midfield when he has to fill in for Trent. The benefit of signing a versatile player like Fabinho is that you can afford to sell other players and use the funds to strengthen other areas of the team.

Selling Clyne would be smart business IMO. He’s probably at his peak transfer value right now, whatever that may be, and we have first class cover for TAA in the shape of Fabinho, as well as good cover for him in midfield when he has to fill in for Trent. The benefit of signing a versatile player like Fabinho is that you can afford to sell other players and use the funds to strengthen other areas of the team.

Yes to an extent, but we've already seen that Klopp doesn't really operate like that... when Milner is a midfielder, he trains as a midfielder, and plays as a midfielder. He's not considered a fullback. And when he played as a fullback, he trained as a fullback, and wasn't considered a midfield option.

Which makes sense, as so much of the work they do in training is personally tailored to what they'll be doing on the field... it's not as simple as just giving a lad a run out in another position. Sure, it's a short term solution in a pinch, but Klopp clearly likes to have players with fairly well defined tasks.

So i can't see us selling Clyne unless another full back is coming in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I don't see the point in selling Clyne. We had issues with a depleted squad at the end of last season, and if we are to be making a title challenge, a good CL run and possibly a good cup run we will need a deep squad for this.

I wouldn't like to see a situation like when Salah came off in the CL final and the only replacement was a not match fit Adam Lallana.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yes to an extent, but we've already seen that Klopp doesn't really operate like that... when Milner is a midfielder, he trains as a midfielder, and plays as a midfielder. He's not considered a fullback. And when he played as a fullback, he trained as a fullback, and wasn't considered a midfield option.

Which makes sense, as so much of the work they do in training is personally tailored to what they'll be doing on the field... it's not as simple as just giving a lad a run out in another position. Sure, it's a short term solution in a pinch, but Klopp clearly likes to have players with fairly well defined tasks.

So i can't see us selling Clyne unless another full back is coming in.

Klopp said this about Fabinho after he was unveiled:
    ”He has ability and mentality to play at the highest level in a number of positions. He can play ‘6’, ‘8’ and ‘2’. This is cool.”

That suggests to me that he’s willing to move him around a bit if the situation requires it. I don’t believe he sees him as a rotation right back just to be clear, but a lot depends on how Gomez is used this coming season. My preference would be TAA starting, Clyne sold if the proceeds are reinvested in this window or the next, Gomez operating at centre back full time if he actually does have the ability to compete with Lovren, and Fabinho filling in at right back when needed.

He’s an absolutely terrific right back by the way, I’ve seen him play there for Monaco a couple of seasons ago and anyone else who also has will tell you how well he plays that role. It’s actually his natural position and where he started out in his career, so to put it as “giving a lad a run out in another position” is very dismissive of what he can do there. It’s a lot more than a “short term solution in a pinch” to be fair. I know what you mean about Klopp and defined roles and agree to an extent, but he’s not as rigid as you’re making out. He played Gini at centre back against Brighton for gods sake! :D

He’s an absolutely terrific right back by the way, I’ve seen him play there for Monaco a couple of seasons ago and anyone else who also has will tell you how well he plays that role. It’s actually his natural position and where he started out in his career, so to put it as “giving a lad a run out in another position” is very dismissive of what he can do there. It’s a lot more than a “short term solution in a pinch” to be fair. I know what you mean about Klopp and defined roles and agree to an extent, but he’s not as rigid as you’re making out. He played Gini at centre back against Brighton for gods sake! :D

You're pretty much ignoring the context of my comments... his ability in that position is irrelevant to my point (just as Milner being brilliant at LB doesn't change the fact that when he's training as a CM, he's only seen as a CM). I'm not dismissing his quality as a right back, i'm saying that, as with Milner, he will be training day in day out in one role, with the expectation of playing in that role primarily.

And your example of Gini at CB is a perfect example of what i'm saying - he used him there in a pinch as a solution to a problem. I would not be at all surprised to see Fabinho play at RB at times under the same circumstances, but that's a different thing to him actually being seen as a RB in the squad. And if he does end up playing regularly at RB, then he won't be seen as a CM anymore for that time - which leaves us light there once more.

I would just be surprised and disappointed if Klopp left the squad with only TAA as specialized RB, needing to move players who don't train in that position day in day out to take over if something goes wrong.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    You're pretty much ignoring the context of my comments... his ability in that position is irrelevant to my point (just as Milner being brilliant at LB doesn't change the fact that when he's training as a CM, he's only seen as a CM). I'm not dismissing his quality as a right back, i'm saying that, as with Milner, he will be training day in day out in one role, with the expectation of playing in that role primarily.

And your example of Gini at CB is a perfect example of what i'm saying - he used him there in a pinch as a solution to a problem. I would not be at all surprised to see Fabinho play at RB at times under the same circumstances, but that's a different thing to him actually being seen as a RB in the squad. And if he does end up playing regularly at RB, then he won't be seen as a CM anymore for that time - which leaves us light there once more.

I would just be surprised and disappointed if Klopp left the squad with only TAA as specialized RB, needing to move players who don't train in that position day in day out to take over if something goes wrong.

I’m not ignoring your comments or the context in which they were posted, I’m simply disagreeing with some of them. If you go back to the quote from Klopp I posted, it suggests that Fabinho will be used in various roles regardless of what position he trains in primarily. All we can do is wait and see how he’s deployed during the season. If Clyne does leave, I’d be shocked if we don’t see Fabinho in at right back on at least a few occasions. As much as I think selling Clyne wouldn’t be a huge mistake, I think it’s still very likely he’ll stay put anyway.

Just on the bolded part, I strongly agree with a good portion of that. I also don’t think he’s going to be seen primarily as a right back, nor do I think he’s going to be playing at right back regularly (barring an injury crisis). I’m not worried about us being light in midfield though, it was proven last season we can cope with limited options in midfield as long as the forward line stays intact. Worst case scenario (if Clyne leaves); TAA and Gomez are injured, Fabinho fills in at RB, but Keita and Lallana are also injured. We can still make up a very good midfield three in Milner, Wijnaldum and Hendo (as long as either Hendo or Gini are fit at any point, we can field a functioning middle three). It’d have to be a full on injury crisis for any more players to be ruled out for any one match. We’ll be fine, and if we aren’t, such an injury crisis isn’t something you can prepare for. Then the likes of Curtis Jones and Rafa Camacho are looked at, depending on how they get on in the next few weeks.

Again, I’d only want to see Clyne moved on if Klopp could afford to do so, as well as using the funds generated (I’d like to think between £18-30m at least given he’s English and a solid defender) to go some way towards a talented, versatile attacker/number 10. Basically, I’d let go of Clyne if it meant signing Fekir or a player of similar quality. I think as a whole, the squad would benefit from a change like that. I’ll trust Klopp with whatever ins and outs he sanctions though, I’m done with doubting anything he does. :)

• Advertisement

I lived in Manchester for about 10 years in the early 2000’s and had a season ticket (at city) for most of those years. My first season at City was in Maine road and iirc they were in the second tier and won it by a street. Ali Benarbia is my main memory.

Disclaimer - I love Sturridge.

Of all the players that I seen make their early starts I rated him from day one. I used to text friends about him and remember being distraught he went to Chelsea on a free instead of us.

He’s in the top 3 strikers I’ve ever seen live. He’s poetry.

All that said - I also creamed myself when I seen Micah Richards and a guy called Michael Johnson making their initial starts for City.

They all had the world at their feet but none of them really made it happen. Shaun Wright Phillips was another that shone very bright at that time.

I’ve no real point to make really but if we do win the league next season I’d ‘fcukin love it’ if Daniel had a part to play. Love it.

ps, I had a season ticket for Anfield in the year that Fowler returned to the club in January. Some guy that worked with my then girlfriend had bought a house, had a kid, and needed double glazing so sold his ticket to me for a season. I got to see his first goal against Fulham and I’ll never ever forget that night (and season) for the rest of my life.

pps, I’m always very quiet at games. Never sing. Never shout. Just sit there swaying and kicking and twitching like a Tourette’s mo fo. But. But Danny Murphy was the only player that ever made me shout ‘ how much fcuking time do you want on that fcuking ball’. Still love him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have to love Klopp and the players in this video.

Pearce reporting this morning that Pep Linders is the new number 2 as Buvac won’t be returning to the club ending his 17 year working relationship with Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pearce reporting this morning that Pep Linders is the new number 2 as Buvac won’t be returning to the club ending his 17 year working relationship with Klopp.

Isn't that the guy who's left once or twice already?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Isn't that the guy who's left once or twice already?

He left in January to be manager of NEC and that didn't work out so he is back.

He is one of the most highly regarded coaches in the world and a great asset to the club.

Michael Beale is the other one who has now left twice he was the underage coach who left to manage in Brazil and then came back before leaving again to join Gerrard at Rangers.

That's brilliant, the shouts from the supportes.

"Can I get a hug"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wonderful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I like my fullbacks to defend first and on the score I think Clyne is the best we have on the right.

Ryan Kent gone on a season long loan to Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I lived in Manchester for about 10 years in the early 2000’s and had a season ticket (at city) for most of those years. My first season at City was in Maine road and iirc they were in the second tier and won it by a street. Ali Benarbia is my main memory.

Disclaimer - I love Sturridge.

Of all the players that I seen make their early starts I rated him from day one. I used to text friends about him and remember being distraught he went to Chelsea on a free instead of us.

He’s in the top 3 strikers I’ve ever seen live. He’s poetry.

All that said - I also creamed myself when I seen Micah Richards and a guy called Michael Johnson making their initial starts for City.

They all had the world at their feet but none of them really made it happen. Shaun Wright Phillips was another that shone very bright at that time.

I’ve no real point to make really but if we do win the league next season I’d ‘fcukin love it’ if Daniel had a part to play. Love it.

ps, I had a season ticket for Anfield in the year that Fowler returned to the club in January. Some guy that worked with my then girlfriend had bought a house, had a kid, and needed double glazing so sold his ticket to me for a season. I got to see his first goal against Fulham and I’ll never ever forget that night (and season) for the rest of my life.

pps, I’m always very quiet at games. Never sing. Never shout. Just sit there swaying and kicking and twitching like a Tourette’s mo fo. But. But Danny Murphy was the only player that ever made me shout ‘ how much fcuking time do you want on that fcuking ball’. Still love him though.

You don't shout or sing at games your well suited to city so,btw how can you be a Liverpool fan if you had a season ticket at city for 10 yrs,I'm confused

Harry Wilson played his first game for Derby Co v Soton last evening, the Rams ran out 3-0 winners. Wilson and another loanee, from Man Utd both rated highly on the match thread. They also have brilliantly named Mason Mount from Chelsea so Lampard seems to have an eye for good football still.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement