Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock - Jellyfish?

Options
  • 29-05-2018 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

Heard via my son's friend there's jellyfish down at blackrock?

Just kids trying to keep the spot to themselves or are there really a few jellyfish about? Figure there's bound to be someone in the know on here what the diving is like today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Heard via my son's friend there's jellyfish down at blackrock?

Just kids trying to keep the spot to themselves or are there really a few jellyfish about? Figure there's bound to be someone in the know on here what the diving is like today.

The 'purple ring' ones were there a couple of weeks ago. They don't have tentacles and apparently don't sting. Yesterday when I was in I spotted different ones. Small, dark purple kind of clusters, but with tentacles. I am fairly sure they sting. I kept away. Only saw a few but the warmer it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes, we've been informed by the authorities of nature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Thankfully didn't seem to be too many out yesterday evening. Loads of swimmers and jumpers at blackrock. Can't think of the last time I saw the place so mobbed with people.

Looks like we're getting all the sunny days out of the way before the long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

zell12 wrote: »
    Yes, we've been informed by the authorities of nature
    In case link breaks
    Fri 25 May, 2018
    Galway City Council is warning swimmers to be aware of the dangerous Lion’s Mane jellyfish, which have been spotted along the west coast in recent days.

The jellyfish’s sting is much stronger than those of other species found in Irish waters and can cause anaphylactic reactions in people who are allergic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Does there be much crime in blackrock? Between the tri clubs and casual swimmers there must have been close to a 1000 people down there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Those lions mane jellyfish aren't too bad. Got stung a few times by them.
    I find if I stay in the water for a while the sting goes away.

I got stung by a blue bottle jellyfish near Sydney once. Nasty business! I had the scars for 3 months.

The pink/purple ones don't sting but shoals of them aren't very nice.

Those lions mane jellyfish aren't too bad. Got stung a few times by them.
    I find if I stay in the water for a while the sting goes away.

I got stung by a blue bottle jellyfish near Sydney once. Nasty business! I had the scars for 3 months.

The pink/purple ones don't sting but shoals of them aren't very nice.

You might be in the minority with the reaction to the Lion's Mane, I know a couple of people who got sore stings. You can also have a reaction to them.

The pink/purple (ring) ones can sting. I've never been stung by one but they can give a mild one.

The purple/blue ones definitely sting and while rare enough there were at least 3 or 4 near me at Black Rock the other day.

Didn't see any today but here's a link with pics for people to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

biko wrote: »
    In case you get stung :D

^^ Very surprising, seeing as Friends is a very scientifically accurate show, but that's BS.

Haven't encountered a jelly yet this year. Galway Bay is like a bath at the moment. Gorgeous to swim these evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yeah was out in Spiddle on Monday - no jellyfish, and water is pleasant considering it is only June.

topper75 wrote: »
    Yeah was out in Spiddle on Monday - no jellyfish, and water is pleasant considering it is only June.

Yep, haven't seen one for a week or so!

topper75 wrote: »
    hmm, yes pleasant

Anyone know why there was a red flag out in blackrock today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

hmm, yes pleasant

Spiddal beach closed until further notice today due to bacteria found in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Spiddal is a cess pool. Has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Lions Mane jelly fish saw seen around the tower so life guards put up red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

hmm, yes pleasant

Apt lyrics? :pac:

Anyone know what effect the "high levels of bacteria" would have, or even what type it is?
    Local authorities are stingy and vague with information

Anyone know why there was a red flag out in blackrock today?

Lions Mane(s?) in the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Did 2km swim from Blackrock today only couple of jellys. All about two metres down, saw three large ones. Main body slightly larger than football.

One of which looked like a lions mane to me. Was at the time 500metres from tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Tribune’s FB page have posted a video of a massive Lion’s Mane jelly in Blackrock. Hate the fu*kers!

Edit: now with added link - https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/videos/1800673639988870/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

http://connachttribune.ie/swimmers-hospitalised-following-invasion-of-lions-mane-jellyfish-101/
    I know "hospitalised" could mean a trip to casualty, but these guys sting can be nasty, hope this is not the start of a regular infestation of Galway Bay by Lions Mane. 
    I'd imagine swimming into one of these in open water could result in quite a fright and maybe swallowing water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Most encounters cause temporary pain and localized redness. In normal circumstances, and in healthy individuals, their stings are not known to be fatal. Vinegar can be used to deactivate the nematocysts, but due to the large number of tentacles medical attention is recommended after exposure.
    There may be a significant difference between touching a few tentacles with finger tips at a beach, compared to an accidental swimming into one. The initial sensation is more strange than painful, it feels like swimming in to a bit warmer and somewhat effervescent water. Some minor pains will though soon follow. It's not a pleasant feeling, and especially not for children. Normally there is no real danger to humans (with exception of people suffering from special allergies). But in cases when someone has been stung over large parts of their body by not just the longest tentacles but the entire jellyfish (including the inner tentacles, of which there are around 1200), a visit to a health care centre or similar is recommendable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion%27s_mane_jellyfish

Are the jelly’s back with the sunshine?

A couple of Lion's Mane spotted near Ladies' beach yesterday apparently.

Anyone in swimming today? Want to go in later, and still frightened of Jellyfish :(
    Any non-purple ones about?

Anyone in swimming today? Want to go in later, and still frightened of Jellyfish :(
    Any non-purple ones about?

Was in yesterday in Blackrock (as was most of Galway!) :)

Loads of the 'less stinging' clear with purple rings, and spotted a few very small lions mane.

Heard the lifeguard talking to a woman about them and said they are not much of a 'bad' sting risk as so small.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Was in yesterday in Blackrock (as was most of Galway!) :)

Loads of the 'less stinging' clear with purple rings, and spotted a few very small lions mane.

Heard the lifeguard talking to a woman about them and said they are not much of a 'bad' sting risk as so small.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, the purple ones are grand. Grabbed a couple by accident on Tuesday when swimming. Going to try to get in again this evening so

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks. Yeah, the purple ones are grand. Grabbed a couple by accident on Tuesday when swimming. Going to try to get in again this evening so

Cool.

By purple, I mean the moon ones with rings. There are purpleish lions mane, and a variety called 'blue' that are 'clumps' of purple. The former 'moon' ones are mostly harmless but the latter can sting. Just to say there were a few stings yesterday, but nothing dangerous as the ones there (Lion's Mane) were small. But it's worth the risk ;)

Advertisement