Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignorant Git - AirCoach 171-D-2634 May 29th 2018

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

On the first clip, I can see how the bus might might have been unable to merge into the right hand lane if it stopped up the road and traffic was backed up.
    In that case, can't see much difference between merging at the last minute and merging further back... would only block the turn off to woodies as well if the driver did.

In the second case, you've barely entered the right hand turning lane, and there's no bus stop on that road, so I can't think of any reason to do that.

The two in combination makes me think the driver might do the same even without stopping on Burton Road...

I've made a complaint to AirCoach before over email, after being a passenger on a coach with a very aggressive driver (aggressive to other traffic, delightful to passengers). Got a quick response and apology, and have to assume it was followed up. Never saw another driver try the same at least... and never saw that driver again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That is really bad driving from the Aircoach driver. Say for example while making a right turn heading from Blackthorn Avenue onto Kilmacud Road via the Stillorgan LUAS stop; The important rule of making that right turn at this location is currently applied to Dublin Bus routes like the 11, 47, 75 & 116. I hope that you will complain to Aircoach to see any resolution OP. While I have been on the 75 sometimes going through Sandyford Business District while the driver goes around his/her loop route around that area; they always stay on the right lane to make the turn back towards Kilmacud to either Dun Laoghaire or Tallaght.

The speeding issue is another one that I would highlight with the Aircoach drivers myself. When I walk along Monkstown Road onto Temple Hill while I wait or get off a 7 or 7a bus; there a few Aircoach drivers along that stretch of road that can be very aggressive with high speeding which can be very dangerous for other drivers or pedestrians either going up or down Temple Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Ginger83

BenEadir wrote: »
    This twat really got on my nerves this evening. We're all keen to get on and not be stuck in traffic but the driver of this AirCoach seems to think that his time is more valuable than everyone else's and just skips queues at will in order to cut in and save time at other peoples expense.

Not really sure why I'm posting this here TBH. I guess I'd like to get the thoughts of users in a relevant forum and perhaps to start a thread where others can post similar instances in case it is a common occurrence by drivers working for this company.

Did you follow it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Did you follow it up?

Yes, AirCoach saw the video and confirmed they were going to follow up internally.

I don't expect them to revert to me with whatever action, if any, they take. That's private between then and the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

I hope you're at peace now

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »
    I hope you're at peace now

I've always been at peace McCrack, thanks for your concern. :confused: I actually reached maximum peacefulness when Aircoach contacted me to confirm they were thankful I had brought this to their attention and would be dealing with it directly with the driver.

Years ago if someone cut me up like that, twice, I'd have seen red and probably done something stupid which would have ended up drawing more attention to me than the original offender but maturity is a great thing. Instead of rushing in it's so much more effective and rewarding to take your time and do it right.

Bit like the old bull young bull scenario :-)

I did lose a lot of sleep worrying about s8n and other internet strangers possibly calling me some sort of dashcam w@nker but I eventually managed to get over that, it was touch and go though for a while - ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

I've always been at peace McCrack, thanks for your concern. :confused: I actually reached maximum peacefulness when Aircoach contacted me to confirm they were thankful I had brought this to their attention and would be dealing with it directly with the driver.

Years ago if someone cut me up like that, twice, I'd have seen red and probably done something stupid which would have ended up drawing more attention to me than the original offender but maturity is a great thing. Instead of rushing in it's so much more effective and rewarding to take your time and do it right.

Bit like the old bull young bull scenario :-)

I did lose a lot of sleep worrying about s8n and other internet strangers possibly calling me some sort of dashcam w@nker but I eventually managed to get over that, it was touch and go though for a while - ;)

Did anyone say “heads should roll” on thread yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Glad to hear I didnt upset you too much & you have found the peace you deserve

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

s8n wrote: »
    Glad to hear I didnt upset you too much & you have found the peace you deserve

:)

:-) Never lost the peace, always be chillin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Yes, AirCoach saw the video and confirmed they were going to follow up internally.

I don't expect them to revert to me with whatever action, if any, they take. That's private between then and the driver.

In fairness to Aircoach I reported a driver last year as he was hammering along and driving on his brakes. Didn't have footage but a few of us regulars emailed. got a similar response thanking me for bringing it to their attention but then a follow up email a few weeks later to say the matter had been address and offering a free return ticket.

I was fairly impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

and driving on his brakes..
    :confused: Did you mean driving on his breaks when he should have been resting?

I see buses of all types do this on a daily basis, they try to bully their way into lanes because they are much bigger than other vehicles. It is not really appropriate. They feel a sense of entitlement as they drive all day long, sorry but that is not how the rules of the road work lads.

It is correct for OP the report this kind of behaviour, the driver of this Aircoach is a "professional" and should act like one.

You're right there Billy, an equally ignorant Dublin Bus driver did more or less the same thing today. He stays in the straight ahead only lane on Blackthorn Avenue in Sandyford to skip past queuing traffic in the right hand filter lane then passes the right turn red light white line to the top of the queue and parks in the middle of the junction ready to turn right. The time was 17:45 not 16:45 per the camera which hadn't updated to BST.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

You're right there Billy, an equally ignorant Dublin Bus driver did more or less the same thing today. He stays in the straight ahead only lane on Blackthorn Avenue in Sandyford (where there isn't a bus stop) to skip past queuing traffic in the right hand filter lane then passes the right turn red light white line to the top of the queue and parks in the middle of the junction ready to turn right. The time was 17:45 not 16:45 per the camera which hadn't updated to BST.]

That light seemed to be red for a very long time.

Tarabuses wrote: »
    That light seemed to be red for a very long time.

Yes, that phase depends on the Luas traffic and can take a couple of minutes at peak periods which is probably why impatient drivers decide to skip the queue!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Personally in favour of this behaviour, and would argue it should be accomodated in rules of the road. They are carrying more passengers and should be afforded priority at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ah yeah, why not. Sure don't mind the safety issues that come with such a move, and the potential to block traffic elsewhere and cause further chaos in the area.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Personally in favour of this behaviour, and would argue it should be accomodated in rules of the road. They are carrying move passengers and should be afforded priority at every opportunity.

Wouldn't be in favour of the behaviour, but the intent is reasonable.
    It could be achieved via some form of right hook bus gate with prioritised lights.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah yeah, why not. Sure don't mind the safety issues that come with such a move, and the potential to block traffic elsewhere and cause further chaos in the area.

The second example posted creates no safety issues that I can see.

What second example, the Dublin Bus one? There's a whole rake of safety issues with that.

Hurrache wrote: »
    What second example, the Dublin Bus one? There's a whole rake of safety issues with that.

The Dublin Bus example posted yesterday evening.

• Advertisement

Personally in favour of this behaviour, and would argue it should be accomodated in rules of the road. They are carrying move passengers and should be afforded priority at every opportunity.

I don't disagree with the sentiment and if there was a law change to facilitate it along with adjustments to the road markings/infrastructure e.g. a "box" at the front of such filters reserved for buses to hop into then it'd actually be a sensible thing to do for the reasons you have stated.

The guy in the video executed it quite well in that he managed to get in front in a manner which didn't block the straight ahead lane to the left but if he'd arrived at the lights to find some cyclists sitting in the spot he ended up occupying whilst they waited for the right hand filter to turn green he wouldn't have had the space to move into and would have ended up blocking the lane on the left thus delaying journeys for as many or more people in cars as he was likely to speed up journeys for people on the bus.

Also, anyone who has been to the US and driven there will be familiar with their Turn on Red which is absolutely a solid concept we should incorporate into the rules of the road here (along with the pre green "amber" signal used in the UK) but that doesn't make it ok to jump red lights!!

The Dublin Bus example posted yesterday evening.

Could have been cyclists/motorcyclists at the head of the traffic queue for the right turn the bus wouldn't see from way back. What happens then, forces the cyclists/motorcyclists out of the way, either further into the junction or to the right to allow the bus come in.

If the bus couldn't get in, what does it do, sit there and block for an inordinate amount of time the traffic trying to go straight?

If he tries to move out of the way of the traffic trying to go straight, it can end up blocking the junction.

And then there's the number of visibility issues it would cause to other traffic as a result of all the above.

There's no excuses, it was a completely dumb move.

(edit: as I was typing BenEadir made some of the same points.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You're right there Billy, an equally ignorant Dublin Bus driver did more or less the same thing today. He stays in the straight ahead only lane on Blackthorn Avenue in Sandyford to skip past queuing traffic in the right hand filter lane then passes the right turn red light white line to the top of the queue and parks in the middle of the junction ready to turn right. The time was 17:45 not 16:45 per the camera which hadn't updated to BST.

There is a bus stop on this road, and during peak times it may not be viable for the bus to move into the right lane due to traffic already in there. I think it's best in that scenario for the bus to continue on and try and merge at the front, rather than sitting back and waiting for a gap to open up, causing delays for those wanting to continue straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It appears bus drivers are taking the law into their own hands shows the shear lack of bus priority measures in this city which please god bus connects sorts out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pelvis wrote: »
    There is a bus stop on this road, and during peak times it may not be viable for the bus to move into the right lane due to traffic already in there. I think it's best in that scenario for the bus to continue on and try and merge at the front, rather than sitting back and waiting for a gap to open up, causing delays for those wanting to continue straight.

My dad is a bus driver. If he's stuck he waits till he can get out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Personally in favour of this behaviour, and would argue it should be accomodated in rules of the road. They are carrying more passengers and should be afforded priority at every opportunity.

More passengers... some would rather they complain about waiting then getting hurt. But by all means...

Advertisement