Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One larger monitor or two medium size once

Options
  • 29-05-2018 7:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, here's the dilemma; I'm used to a 2x 24" monitor set up which I've used for years. One of the monitors have now died and I now need to consider my options. On the one hand going over to a 40" monitor (most likely curved) for games etc. would be nice for obvious reasons. On the other and I'm used to surfing on one monitor and work/watch videos etc. on the second monitor and on occasions I need to work with two or more excel files open and check numbers between them etc. (though this can be done on one monitor as well relatively easy).

I'm also space constrained on the table that around 50" wide is about the limit of what I can fit so I can't go 2x 40" or something crazy. I've looked up a few monitors that let you split your monitor in 4 etc. but between crazy expensive and poor reaction times it does not really look like an option.

So what are people's experience from going dual monitor back to one large one again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Nody wrote: »
    Ok, here's the dilemma; I'm used to a 2x 24" monitor set up which I've used for years. One of the monitors have now died and I now need to consider my options. On the one hand going over to a 40" monitor (most likely curved) for games etc. would be nice for obvious reasons. On the other and I'm used to surfing on one monitor and work/watch videos etc. on the second monitor and on occasions I need to work with two or more excel files open and check numbers between them etc. (though this can be done on one monitor as well relatively easy).

I'm also space constrained on the table that around 50" wide is about the limit of what I can fit so I can't go 2x 40" or something crazy. I've looked up a few monitors that let you split your monitor in 4 etc. but between crazy expensive and poor reaction times it does not really look like an option.

So what are people's experience from going dual monitor back to one large one again?

I use two at work, and a single ultrawide at home. I would go with the single monitor, find it more useful for document reviews and working in excel, GIS and CAD. That said I reckon a 40" would be too big, especially if it is standard wide-screen. If you have a big budget you could look at the 34-38" ultrawide screens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unless you have a monster desk, anything over 32" is too big really. I even had a 32" monitor and I had to get rid of it as for playing games it was horrible, even with a deep desk I was sort of scanning the screen while playing FPS titles.

Given you had 2 24" 1080P monitors, I would say a decent 27" 1440P or 4K monitor would be a good investment. Maybe 32", but again, that size can have have major downfalls unless you have a very deep desk/mostly play games sitting back with a controller or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I love my 34" UW and would even think of going wider in future to something like this which is the equivalent of 2 x 27" side by side

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Got a 24inch 1920x1200 and 34inch ultrawide 3840x1440p sitting on my desk. The 24inch side monitor is at a 30degree angle relative to the front of the desk and its just under 50 inches total. I could also turn it portrait to save on space.

Not sure if I could work solely on the 34 inch alone, doesn't seem right. I like the side monitor too during gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

+1 on a 34" UW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lads how close are ye to the desk? I mean guy above saying he's considering a 50" monitor?! Surely you can't be actually sitting directly in front of that? I could barely play games sitting in front of a 32" monitor in competitive FPS games. My flippin' TV is a 55" and I sometimes wonder if I'm still too close with the couch a few feet away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Lads how close are ye to the desk? I mean guy above saying he's considering a 50" monitor?! Surely you can't be actually sitting directly in front of that? I could barely play games sitting in front of a 32" monitor in competitive FPS games. My flippin' TV is a 55" and I sometimes wonder if I'm still too close with the couch a few feet away.
    Not considering a 50" monitor; only bringing it up as a space constraint in terms of size for a dual / extra wide set up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If desk space is a issue get a adjustable monitor arm or 2.

I got one as it was on sale and thought it'd be nice but it's insane how much desk space you save, it completely opens up your desk and that's before you move screens out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Have a single 32" at home and like it, and have 2 x 24" at work. The single big screen is great except for anything like webex, sharing a single large screen isn't as convenient as sharing one 24" screen and having the other for email/web/files/whatever. Depends if you do a lot of conferencing I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thank you to all; I've ordered a curved 32" so let's see how this plays out :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement