Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you boycott watching the TDF?

Options
  • 29-05-2018 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭

I love the TDF as a spectacle but if Froome participates this year I will have to give it a miss. If he is allowed to compete the sport is getting dirtier at a pro level and will lose all credibility.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'll watch it for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No of course I won’t boycott it and to be honest I hope he’s in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I'll continue my defacto boycott of almost all racing by virtue of not being arsed about watching sport on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No - I'll be watching out for Dan anyway.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Absolutely I'll watch it. I'll also watch the Olympics when they're on, a bit of baseball when I'm in the States. All synonymous with drug use.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

no will watch as per usual , it still a spectacle to enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

billyhead wrote: »
    I love the TDF as a spectacle but if Froome participates this year I will have to give it a miss. If he is allowed to compete the sport is getting dirtier at a pro level and will lose all credibility.

"Getting dirtier at a pro level'.

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

yes. there is no way I am racing it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

I will watch it and i hope Froome rides and wins it

then i hope he is stripped of vuelta/giro and tour

this will highlight the joke the uci is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

No

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'll watch it, but the same as last year, I wont be cheering Froome or Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

For the scenery and helicopter shots with the various field arts that are made up by the local people in various areas, it is worth watching. The coverage on itv4 has been very good the last couple of years with snippets of info on the regions and their history.
    The cycling itself is a bit ****e.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I didn't watch the Giro but felt there were grounds for that. No reason to boycott the TdF. Where is it starting this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Hell no.

You accept the tour and all the ****e that goes with it. That's the point.

All the moaning about Froome will have be out in full sky kit by July rolls round.

Alp d'Huez is back this year!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nope. If I didn’t boycott it in the EPO era, I’m hardly going to be boycotting it in the Ventolin era.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Markx

I'll watch for the scenery and the pageantry and the feeling of summer it gives me. When they were in Corsica it looked amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭denismc

I refused to watch "Breaking Bad", sure tis full of drugs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Come to the dark side; follow the UCI DH on redbull TV instead. There may or may not also be cookies *

Less drama, more excitement.

* your mileage may vary

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

No. I don't watch the tour just for froome....Although he is by far the best GC cyclist in the world. No one even close or near his level....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

lennymc wrote: »
    yes. there is no way I am racing it this year.
    You're just afraid of me kicking your arse;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I will watch the Tour. Hopefully Froome doesn't win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'll certainly be watching it, sure the drugs speculation is half the fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I'll be watching, if only for Carlton's great commentary and will hope our mutual hero, Froomey, inches ever closer to Lance's 7 titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

RobFowl wrote: »
    You're just afraid of me kicking your arse;)

Oh dear...RobFowl saw Froome running up that hill last year and got all excited/confused that he couldn't find the swim part anywhere! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Tour de France organisers are planning to deny Chris Froome a place in this year’s race if his salbutamol case has not been resolved.

The president of world cycling’s governing body the UCI, David Lappartient, wants such major events to refrain from making such big decisions, and expressed hope that Froome’s case would be resolved “quickly”.

The urgency has been highlighted after two senior cycling sources said that ASO, the French company that runs the Tour, has no intention of letting a rider compete with a potential anti-doping violation hanging over them."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

I was loving the Giro, watching the highlights every evening & listening to the Cycling Podcast's daily updates. Then once Froome came back into the picture I just lost interest.

Yes I will follow the tour, but if it is the annual Froome/Sky show I can see myself losing interest.

The sport has a reputation for being dirty, now a guy who is under investigation for being dirty is winning. How can cycling expect to have credibility in the eyes of the non cyclists? Either sort it out or adapt the approach of other sports & ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

If their was anything worth boycotting, it was the first 3 stages of the Giro, and i done that but it was hard trying not too tune into see what was going on.

Doing that for 3 weeks,i think the telly would have to been thrown out the window so i wouldn't watch it and the thing is just breathing a sigh of relief that it survived the champions league final the other night without been smashed up.

Advertisement