Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pure Joy of Summer Golf

Options
  • 29-05-2018 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭

Lads what a bizarre winter of golf.

This week has been a gift and a reminder of what golf can be like.

The heat , short sleeves, that roll on the course, the dirt no longer on the ball , the plugged lie gone, the sun cream, the shorts, the shades, the sun set, the sea, the sandals, the soft sand, the bright sky after sun set, the scoop after, the smell of summer , the softening sand.

The overuse of alliteration :D

So have been on the course near 10 pm last few times. The ball is getting to a place on the course you haven't been all year - the par 5s are suddenly a hope. A birdie chance, a flukey eagle hope.

I don't know if I'm mad ( well I am ) - but I can see the ball carry that little bit more in the air - the time the ball travels is noticeable. I hit an 8 iron today about 165 yards - and that is a good club longer.

It must be in the head golf - because in the nice weather I've played 3 - 9s and went 1 under , level and 1 over. I've had 3 eagle putts and suddenly after 9 months of muck you think you can play this bizarre brilliant game.

Anyone getting out enjoying it at present ?
    Any reflection on the last year - weather wise - impact on course etc

I genuinely think the weather has been brutal for our golf - you were hitting May with basically no short game work done in real conditions

Anyway lads - enjoy , the days will be getting shorter in 23 days - (lol) :D:P

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I hit a 289 yard drive on Friday! Not sure how much carry and lots of roll!! Have had a lot well over the 250 mark the last 3 rounds. That and no muck on shoes or trousers. No balls lost under leaves, I love summer golf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Yeah its great to be out in a t shirt and playing the full length of the course again.

Heading out the back nine on your own at about half 8 in the warm evenings is really nice too. Very relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I've hit 312, 301 and 290 yards on drives this past few weeks. Mental stuff.

Scores are still shocking but can't complain when you're playing in shorts and t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

There is probably no better sight when playing golf than teeing off and watching the ball right on target against a cloudless , azure sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Of course got an injury after writing a positive post.

Sick.

• Advertisement

Of course got an injury after writing a positive post.

Sick.

no way? What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Glebee

Been out every day for the last four days. Might chance a few holes later on.. :) This weather sure is brill. Courses are looking great as well. If we get the rain we are promised tomorrow the grass will burst up.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    no way? What happened?

neck shoulder

Using a saw awkwardly. I think .

neck shoulder

Using a saw awkwardly. I think .

ouch,

you timed that well with having all your matchplay games done!!:D:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Fix - Sandals????? :'(
    Thoughts on the course after the last 8 months of weather - Ophelia has really damaged some of the holes on my home place - trees that were over 100 years old were felled by that Storm.... The amount of rain that has fallen too the course really needed this week to get back to where it should be.
    If only I could make more use of the good weather - it's hard to find the balance - work/career/family/home/pub/golf :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

i actually think the poor weather has an impact on my mental health. Things are way more positive with the recent good weather and good golfing conditions!

Am due to play at 5:34 today, glorious sunshine here at the moment but according to forecast - I think I'll be heading home instead. Fingers crossed its not too bad, I don't mind rain, it the lightening that would put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Am due to play at 5:34 today, glorious sunshine here at the moment but according to forecast - I think I'll be heading home instead. Fingers crossed its not too bad, I don't mind rain, it the lightening that would put me off.

Me too in a 9 hole charity event that I play in every year, but I think its just going to be showers but if there's thunder it might be called off! Looking out the window at good weather all week! I'll snap.. Id even play in the thunder if I was allowed.. :D

I dont know if its the lessons & work I put in over the winter but played a few holes last night and I was hitting the ball a mile! I played off the blues (which even though I think its frowned upon I always do when practising) I was hitting the ball way further then I do off the whites even running out of fairway on some holes :eek:

Playing the PGA in Naas Sunday in a open and cant wait! its of the back sticks as well (black Sunday) so will be a monster! Haven't played it in a few years so really looking forward to it! Meant to be in great shape! Open is €40 for visitors if anyone is interested..

PGA is some beast off the back sticks, even off the silvers its tough!!

Ill be playing every hole as a par 5 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

PGA is some beast off the back sticks, even off the silvers its tough!!
    It's the walk between the holes is the toughest bit!! Great course though can't wait to get back there.
    Benny watch out for the bunkers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

benny79 wrote: »
    Ill be playing every hole as a par 5 :D

Any space on the time sheet left? I'm thinking of playing that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Just back from st margarets.Cracking morning and ive never been happier to be caught in a shower for a few holes to cool.down

No rain here yet thankfully.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Any space on the time sheet left? I'm thinking of playing that.

Yeah as far as I know Im playing at 12.30 the Sunday just me & a mate if you want to stick your name down beside us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

What is it, around 7,500 yards off the back tees? I know one of the guys on here was a member there for a year or two, when they re-opened & had the cheaper subs. He said that they pretty much never played club comps off the very back sticks because a lot of the members couldn't even reach the fairways on a number of holes

What is it, around 7,500 yards off the back tees? I know one of the guys on here was a member there for a year or two, when they re-opened & had the cheaper subs. He said that they pretty much never played club comps off the very back sticks because a lot of the members couldn't even reach the fairways on a number of holes

No pressure then :D I haven't a clue! been years since I played it.. Sure Ill report back next week after..

benny79 wrote: »
    Yeah as far as I know Im playing at 12.30 the Sunday just me & a mate if you want to stick your name down beside us.

Cheers, just noticed you're playing Sunday, I'm gonna play the open in the morning. Will let you know how the course is stacking up. Never played it before, looking forward to it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

First time in palmerstown House today and what a fantastic course. Plenty of sand and water everywhere. Ended with 33 points off the whites, 20 on the back, just took on a few foolish shots on the front 9 and got punished. Course in great condition.

Benny, best of luck off the blacks tomorrow, it'll be tough going. If its any consolation the ball is absolutely flying through the air so shouldn't be too bad.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Played ashbourne this morning. Some great holes and tight pins.

The good weather must make golf twice as enjoyable.

Cheers Tyson can't wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Woke up as usual time for work, grabbed a piece of fruit and out the door.

Golf course to myself in glorious sunshine.

Back home by 9.15.

Doesn't get better than this ðŸ˜

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Woke up as usual time for work, grabbed a piece of fruit and out the door.

Golf course to myself in glorious sunshine.

Back home by 9.15.

Doesn't get better than this ðŸ˜

Cool

What day of week - obviously not today.

Yes golf before or after work - you can't beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Yes, today. Just awake at stupid o' clock, as normal, but ran out and got there and back before the rest of the house decided to get in to full swing for Sunday, which is family day in my house.

Might escape at 8.30 tonight for another 9 too.

• Advertisement

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Yes, today. Just awake at stupid o' clock, as normal, but ran out and got there and back before the rest of the house decided to get in to full swing for Sunday, which is family day in my house.

Might escape at 8.30 tonight for another 9 too.

was just surprised you go the place to yourself on a Sunday

What time were you there :confused::D

Advertisement