Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree cutting

Options
  • 29-05-2018 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi

Does anyone know anyone in the Westmeath area that they can recommend to cut back/trim a row of Leylandii fir trees. They're about 40ft tall, it's not the height so much that bothers but they're protruding too much into the garden and need to be cut back.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

AMFitz wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know anyone in the Westmeath area that they can recommend to cut back/trim a row of Leylandii fir trees. They're about 40ft tall, it's not the height so much that bothers but they're protruding too much into the garden and need to be cut back.

Thanks

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They'll look permanently terrible if you cut them back. Lleylandii don't regrow except on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Lumen wrote: »
    They'll look permanently terrible if you cut them back. Lleylandii don't regrow except on top.

This only applies if all green growth is removed.

+1

Any good tree surgeon type will know how to cut it back so that minimises the bad look. However, if its been allowed to get totally out of control, may have gone too far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how deep would the green growth be on a 40 foot tree? it's possible the OP was hoping for more than a few feet to be taken off the sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    +1

Any good tree surgeon type will know how to cut it back so that minimises the bad look. However, if its been allowed to get totally out of control, may have gone too far.
    The tree surgeons and arborists I've spoken to would advise to trim Lleylandii to ground level to minimize the bad look. :D

The tree surgeons and arborists I've spoken to would advise to trim Lleylandii to ground level to minimize the bad look. :D

I PM'd a name to the OP. That tree surgeon did a massive job on my terribly overgrown Leylandiis around 5 years ago. Cut them way down and also cut them back in hugely. Now, 5 years later I have a lovely green hedge facing the road. On the backside, not so much!

The point is, a good one will tell you what is possible,and indeed they may have gone too far...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's the approach i took. though it was a suburban garden so possibly dominating the garden much more.

Advertisement