Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerator after silage

• 29-05-2018 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

We are picking around 20 acres tomorrow (bales). The fields will be closed straight away for second cut. it will be getting slurry via dribble bar from an umbilical system within the next 10 days, depending on when the contractor is free. Is it worth running over the fields with the aerator before the slurry is applied?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We are picking around 20 acres tomorrow (bales). The fields will be closed straight away for second cut. it will be getting slurry via dribble bar from an umbilical system within the next 10 days, depending on when the contractor is free. Is it worth running over the fields with the aerator before the slurry is applied?
    Would the field get too dry if it was to get anotjer spell of dry weather

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Would the field get too dry if it was to get anotjer spell of dry weather

There would be a fair weight in the ones that are filled with water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It's a great idea. See a lad near here doing it. Go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭valtra2

Do half of it and you will know if it was worth it in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Try half the field as and experiment and see how it works out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭valtra2

Snap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Odelay wrote: »
    Try half the field as and experiment and see how it works out?

Or leave a smaller patch without the aerator? It would be interesting to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

Do you know what would be a great idea, try half of the field and not the other half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭mengele

Why not do half the field and leave the other half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Or do two quarters and leave two quarters as an experiment.

Edit: if your soil is high in iron an aeration is supposed to oxidize some of that iron and get more aerobic bacteria into the soil. All food for plants eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What you'd need to watch for is that it doesn't turn up and earth that may end up in the second cut. Dunno if they do or not just if you do keep and eye on how it's going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Mooooo wrote: »
    What you'd need to watch for is that it doesn't turn up and earth that may end up in the second cut. Dunno if they do or not just if you do keep and eye on how it's going

He could do half the field with the aerator and the other half for the second cut - boom 💥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Was research done in teagasc's research farm
    In solo head a good many years ago and it seen no benefit from the aerator to grass growth at all.
    Brilliant for weeds though I'm told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I've an idea, maybe I'll just to half the land :)

around 10 acres is boggy, and doesn't get grazed. Normally just 2 cuts of silage a year. The other 10 acres is much better land, and gets grazed. I may do the better land first, as I might not have time to do both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I've an idea, maybe I'll just to half the land :)

around 10 acres is boggy, and doesn't get grazed. Normally just 2 cuts of silage a year. The other 10 acres is much better land, and gets grazed. I may do the better land first, as I might not have time to do both.
    Could you get your hands on a mole plough in the autumn? It would do a much better job imo over the aerator. The aerator wouldn't go deep enough

Could you get your hands on a mole plough in the autumn? It would do a much better job imo over the aerator. The aerator wouldn't go deep enough

the mole plough would be the right job, however all this land has drainage pipes going through it, so we would run the risk of ripping them all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Was research done in teagasc's research farm
    In solo head a good many years ago and it seen no benefit from the aerator to grass growth at all.
    Brilliant for weeds though I'm told

weeds? :rolleyes:

Aerator are a good job especially if using more than 2k gallons of slurry per acre

Aerator are a good job especially if using more than 2k gallons of slurry per acre

thats what I've heard alright. this land will be getting slurry soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

thats what I've heard alright. this land will be getting slurry soon.

1995, experiments were conducted at Kilmaley and Knockbeg under grazing
    and silage conservation conditions and on a previously compacted site at
    Kilmaley. Spiking treatments were carried out at both sites in Spring 1995.
    Treatments were replicated three or four times at each site. The recorded dry
    matter yields for Kilmaley (total of 6 harvests on the grazing area and 3 cuts on
    the silage area) and Knockbeg (one cut only) are given in Table 2. Only one cut
    was taken at Knockbeg because grass growth in Summer 1995 was very poor due
    to very dry soil conditions.

There was no significant difference between treatments at the grazed site in
    Kilmaley. The spiking treatment significantly reduced yield at the conservation
    site. Spiking also tended to reduce yield at the Knockbeg sites, although a
    significant difference was only recorded at the conservation site. The tendency to
    reduce yield may be associated with physical damage caused to the plant root
    structure, thereby inhibiting water and nutrient uptake, particularly in dry
    conditions. At Kilmaley, where yields were recorded over the entire season, there
    was a tendency for the spiked plots to give a higher yield than the control plots at
    the later cuts.
    The treatments imposed on the previous compaction trial showed similar trends
    (Table 3). Spiking reduced grass dry matter yield on the first harvest after
    treatment regardless of previous compaction treatment. While the effects of the
    previous compaction were evident, the percentage yield reduction was similar
    whether the plots had received conventional, low ground-pressure or no previous
    traffic
    ....from teagasc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

matter yields for Kilmaley (total of 6 harvests on the grazing area and 3 cuts on

significant difference was only recorded at the conservation site. The tendency to
    conditions. At Kilmaley, where yields were recorded over the entire season, there
    was a tendency for the spiked plots to give a higher yield than the control plots at
    the later cuts.
    traffic
    ....from teagasc
    So Kilmaley was up on recorded yield.
    Knockbeg was too dry after and down in yield.

So we're back to it being site and soil and weather dependent.

I tell ye lads the biggest inhibition of growth of cereal or grass or whatever in dry conditions is boron availability. The drier the ground the less it's available and then growth slows down. Either a little bit from slurry or fert if it's not in excess in the soil already is a help.

I see a question asked on another forum about cows being fussy and bawling going into paddocks. That could be down to too much nitrogen, boron, aluminium or manganese in the soil and plant. Ye may laugh but seawater sprayed as a once off treatment at 4 or 5litres/ac but diluted with non treated well water at 19:1 would help that and make the cows graze it to the ground. So 5 would make 100 litres of ready to use. Alternatively you could use any marine based product, seaweed spray, physolith, etc to balance out your problem minerals or alternatively a bit of sodium in fertilizer helps content cows in trouble paddocks too. It also helps paddocks that go 'sour' from too much slurry.

So now... there's a bit of trivia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

One years test in 2 site locations over 23 years ago hardly is much proof now in fairness.

You want a 5 year experiment using 2/3 different type of aerators.

Sure if teagasc only tested grass seed once or milk performance once and quarter of a century later someone came up with a new idea would most people still rely on there advice.

the later cuts.
    traffic
    ....from teagasc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

On top of the year it probably depends what you're trying to improve ( I know it's grass growth) but is it compaction from machinery,?
    From large amounts of slurry?
    Oxidising iron or breaking an iron pan?
    Letting water drain quicker?
    Or airating/ loosening the soil on reseeded ground with no deep rooted plants... There may be better ways of achieving that particular result.. Or not..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

the mole plough would be the right job, however all this land has drainage pipes going through it, so we would run the risk of ripping them all up.

Would you not be going parallel to the drainage pipes tho? I'd be all for the mole plough has turned ground inside out here.

raypallas wrote: »
    Would you not be going parallel to the drainage pipes tho? I'd be all for the mole plough has turned ground inside out here.

can't remember exactly where they are, the land has been reseeded since the drainage pipes went in, so you cant see the marks any more.

Advertisement