Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinball in Limerick?

• 29-05-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just moved to Limerick. Does anyone know of any Pinball machines I could play in the area?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

Not that i know of, but doesnt mean one isnt tucked away in some corner of some pub somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

http://funworld.ie/contact/

I don't know if they have pinball, but probably it's your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

According to the pinside map there's none in limerick. But that doesn't mean there isn't one around somewhere.

There a few pinball owners on here, including myself. We have an Irish league. Meets are usually in Naas, Belfast and Waterford though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

Cordell wrote: »
    http://funworld.ie/contact/

I don't know if they have pinball, but probably it's your best bet.

no ,none in there(well that ive ever seen anyway ). also had some of the worst maintained games over the years, a bit better these days and a few newer machines but nothing of much interest .Its funny it was the arcade with the worst maintained and games selection wise bitd and it is the one that lasted !! cant deny kiddies parties keeping a place going !:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Barcade in Cork or Token in Dublin are the nearest half decent pinball places.

Seapoint in Galway used have a couple but I haven't been there in a while.

Barcade in Cork or Token in Dublin are the nearest half decent pinball places.

Seapoint in Galway used have a couple but I haven't been there in a while.

Calling Token half decent for pinball is a bit of a stretch,
    Their pins are in absolute ****e,such a shame as they have a serious line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

For the last 20 years outside of Dr. Quirkies half broken machines were the only thing available! The ones in Token are alright, assuming you're not a home collector.

I've been in there and 3 of the tables aren't working right. Next time another 3 weren't working right. Last day I was in there a month and a half ago everything was pretty solid. They've added the glorious TNG as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

For the last 20 years outside of Dr. Quirkies half broken machines were the only thing available! The ones in Token are alright, assuming you're not a home collector.

I've been in there and 3 of the tables aren't working right. Next time another 3 weren't working right. Last day I was in there a month and a half ago everything was pretty solid. They've added the glorious TNG as well.
    I have to disagree, I was there less than 2 weeks ago, here was my experience.
      Tales of the arabian nights has a major fault and its not playable, the ball goes missing and your only option is to restart the machine, this happened 3 times while I watched/played. The ball also gets stuck on the apron/plastics all the time. This is probably their most valuable machine:eek:
      The General Illumination is completely out on The Adams Family, its impossible to see the ball, I'd class as unplayable.
      The GI on Funhouse is the same although it is more playable and I did have a couple of games. The gate on the left lane doesn't always engage properly but not a major issue.
      The GI on Roadshow is the same as Funhouse, most the playfield is out but the game is pretty playable
      The cannon on the left on STNG is weak and not firing correctly.
    There was issues with the Simpsons too but I can't remember what they were, it's not a game I'd be too familiar with.

None of the games look like they've ever seen Novus cleaner, all the playfields and ramps are manky, it'd literally take 2-5minutes/machine to clean them weekly.
    They've removed the tilt bobs from all the pins so when the balls get stuck, the users just pick them up and drop them back down. This is just a lazy fix so they don't get hassled that the balls stuck every 5minutes, if the machines were looked after this wouldn't happen.
    The GI needs to be fixed on all the machines, it looks to me like they’ve replaced all the other lighting with LEDs but never bothered with the GI because you’ve to remove a lot of playfield parts in order to do this and either A. They don’t have the time or B. They don’t have the skill set.

They’ve over €30k with of pinballs down there and it’s a real shame they are in such bad shape when the place is only opened a year if even.
    If they decide to fix them up my advice would be to move them upstairs in view of the bar where they won’t get the abuse they’re getting if not they at least need to light the area a little better and possibly install a camera or 2 in there.
    There is plenty of people out there in Ireland who I’m sure wouldn’t mind helping them out once/week for a small fee, I’d imagine they know who these people are, 5mins on any of the pinball sites could help them out a lot.

I won't mention the issues with the cabs as its OT and I don’t mean to slate the place as I really like it, it’s just a shame the machines are looked after so poorly.

Following on from the post above, here is a couple of photos of how dark and dirty the playfields are, there really is no excuse for this, I know my machines are home use only but I don't think I've cleaned my whirlwind in over a year and its not like this, LEDs have a couple of years life in them so GI could be just changed to LED for less maintenance like the rest of the lighting. I'm sorry I didnt take a photo of the ramps on TOTAN, I actually thought the ramp on the upper left may have been replaced with a black one.

Roadshow:
    8bvQwbV.jpg
    QJwZ88L.jpg
    WJ0OAqE.jpg
    UiPZAjt.jpg
    Hggevk6.jpg

Family Guy:
    m5NiRou.jpg
    lAQ38Yx.jpg
    z1g9AlB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I was in there for the first time last night and for the most part thought the machines were in good nick, though I'm no expert.

Addams Family was the only one I had major issues with; either the field is tilted or the magnet is playing up as the ball will literally sit on the right flipper from time to time.

I was wondering why I was able to shake the machines without activating tilt when my ball got stuck. I saw one guy leave after his ball disappeared in MM but later the machine was working again. In general I would say Token have bitten off a bit more than they can chew but hopefully with time they'll improve.

Addams family and Star trek use magnets and the balls get magnetized.

I use carbon balls to reduce this but it still tends to happen.

The balls just need to be replaced. Pretty sure a pinball is £2 so literally no excuse.

If Token would pay me I'd go up for a few days and sort them out!

Where's the magnet in Star Trek?
    If Token would pay me I'd go up for a few days and sort them out!

Maybe you could offer to train the staff up on basic maintenance. Teach a man to fish and all that.

But seriously, paying people to do any sort of pinball work is pretty hefty. It's the same as paying someone to restore a vintage car for you. It's going to be really expensive, and restoring them yourself is part of the fun!

I would take a pin from token back to my garage and work on it and then bring it back in top notch. But parts, travel expenses and then price of labor, on one machine would be huge. Time is money and unfortunately pinballs take a lot of time to work on

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Where's the magnet in Star Trek?

Maybe you could offer to train the staff up on basic maintenance. Teach a man to fish and all that.

That's like asking an electrician to show you how to wire a building ,
    if they have an interest/skills to fix Pinball's they would have showed it by now.

All the info is on the web and they parts are all available.

Even if they rebuilt all the flippers and fixed the lighting.
    Cleaned them,fresh rubber,balls and bulbs.its not rocket science to fix that stuff.
    Just takes time And patience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Well said Jack and Brown, if they were interested they would at least google it.
    They are happy enough for the casual amateur player to pay money and whack some balls around .

That being said they obviously paid a lot of money for these pins so they should be looking after their investment.

eddhorse wrote: »
    They are happy enough for the casual amateur player to pay money and whack some balls around .
    Unfortunately they won't get many returning customers there for the pins. Some really basic maintenance as Brownfinger mentioned, Bulbs, rubbers and a clean. Also location, I would bet they would stay in better overall condition if they were all in a row beside the bar, move DDR and some of the more durable machines down there, people treating them like **** down there out of sight certainly isn't helping.

But seriously, paying people to do any sort of pinball work is pretty hefty. It's the same as paying someone to restore a vintage car for you. It's going to be really expensive, and restoring them yourself is part of the fun!

I would take a pin from token back to my garage and work on it and then bring it back in top notch. But parts, travel expenses and then price of labor, on one machine would be huge. Time is money and unfortunately pinballs take a lot of time to work on

My assumption, perhaps incorrect, was that when Token bought these machines they had them refurbished and that all that was needed was a clean and some new pinballs, you know, very basic stuff.

If you're talking about taking the machine apart and replacing lots of pieces that's a different story and not what I was getting at.
    That's like asking an electrician to show you how to wire a building ,
    if they have an interest/skills to fix Pinball's they would have showed it by now.

All the info is on the web and they parts are all available.

Even if they rebuilt all the flippers and fixed the lighting.
    Cleaned them,fresh rubber,balls and bulbs.its not rocket science to fix that stuff.
    Just takes time And patience

I don't think it's a question of interest but more, as I said before, Token have bitten off more than they can chew. Staff probably just have other responsibilities that come first and they don't get around to this kind of stuff.
    Unfortunately they won't get many returning customers there for the pins. Some really basic maintenance as Brownfinger mentioned, Bulbs, rubbers and a clean. Also location, I would bet they would stay in better overall condition if they were all in a row beside the bar, move DDR and some of the more durable machines down there, people treating them like **** down there out of sight certainly isn't helping.

When I was there on a Saturday the machines were doing their fair share of business. I actually like the location of the pins, away from everything, but in general I think they haven't made the best use of space throughout the venue. That's a separate topic though.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    My assumption, perhaps incorrect, was that when Token bought these machines they had them refurbished and that all that was needed was a clean and some new pinballs, you know, very basic stuff.

If you're talking about taking the machine apart and replacing lots of pieces that's a different story and not what I was getting at.

When it comes to pins it's never straight forward:D

Advertisement