Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC Coming to and end - Can I stay as a tourist?

• 30-05-2018 7:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

My two year working holiday visa is coming to an end in August and I'm trying to see what my options are. I've applied for the BC PNP but no decision has been made yet. If I don't have an answer by the time my current visa expires, am I able to transfer to a tourist visa and stay (without working) for a few months? Or can I drive to the US and come back into Canada as a tourist? Or will they force me to leave for a certain period before coming back as a tourist?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

My two year working holiday visa is coming to an end in August and I'm trying to see what my options are. I've applied for the BC PNP but no decision has been made yet. If I don't have an answer by the time my current visa expires, am I able to transfer to a tourist visa and stay (without working) for a few months? Or can I drive to the US and come back into Canada as a tourist? Or will they force me to leave for a certain period before coming back as a tourist?

Did you work the entire time of the 2 years? What is BC PNP and could you not have applied for permanent residency?

I ask because I am heading over to start IEC next month and would like to have the option to stay on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

jme2010 wrote: »
    Did you work the entire time of the 2 years? What is BC PNP and could you not have applied for permanent residency?

Yes, I worked pretty much the entire two years. BC PNP is a step towards PR but I'm still waiting for a decision to be made. I'm just wondering if I can stay in Canada as a tourist while that decision is being made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Yes, I worked pretty much the entire two years. BC PNP is a step towards PR but I'm still waiting for a decision to be made. I'm just wondering if I can stay in Canada as a tourist while that decision is being made

Yes you can stay as a tourist. Apply online for an extension as a visitor, do not go to the border as there's always a risk they won't let you back in.

One thing to be sure of is if PNP is approved that you can get a new work permit. I'm not sure of the rules around that.

Yes, I worked pretty much the entire two years. BC PNP is a step towards PR

Could you not apply directly for PR? I thought after 1 full year of experience that would boost your chances. It'd be great if you could describe your situation on PR. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

jme2010 wrote: »
    Could you not apply directly for PR? I thought after 1 full year of experience that would boost your chances. It'd be great if you could describe your situation on PR. Thanks

Yes, I already have applied for pr but I'm still waiting for a decision from immigration so I'm just sussing out my options because a decision may not be made before my current visa expires

• Advertisement

Yes, I already have applied for pr but I'm still waiting for a decision from immigration so I'm just sussing out my options because a decision may not be made before my current visa expires

Thanks...did you have to take an English exam? What documents did you need to gather and do you have a current offer of employment?

Sorry for all the questions...might help me in a year or two's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Who nominated you for the PNP? Usually if you are nominated it is pretty much a sure thing, as long as the nominating company knew what they were doing (IE: Nominated a candidate for a position that they cannot fill locally etc).

Advertisement