Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black screen with cursor on startup

Options
  • 30-05-2018 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭

Windows 10 updated automatically for me yesterday and now on start up I get a black screen with a cursor when I boot up. I can ctrl, alt and delete into options but if I click on task manager the box will not appear. Any help online seems to suggests fixing through task manager but I cant access. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Do you have a usb/cd with Windows 10 on it? If so boot from it and try startup repair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only have an old Windows 7 disc. Windows updated online to 10 last year I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

If you press the Windows Key + R and type explorer.exe do your windows appear?

You can always download an iso (legit) from windows if you know your key to do a repair.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Windows Key & R does nothing.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

No idea what my product keys are, cant find any info that I might have kept..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Can you boot into safe mode?

• Advertisement

Got sorted. I had forgotten that you can used shift and restart to enter an options mode which allowed to to roll back to a previous version of Windows. All working again. Thanks for help guys.

Advertisement