Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveillance in work

Options
  • 30-05-2018 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

gistered User

Part of my job involves walking down a public road taking samples. Lately i noticed the boss parks out the back with his car in view of the road (theres a field between his car and the road but you can see the road from a distance from there). I suspect there is a camera on his car for the road to watch me. Is this legal. The workplace does have cctv for the entrances etc which are obvs ok but is what hes doing legal with the cam on the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sabrielle wrote:
    Part of my job involves walking down a public road taking samples. Lately i noticed the boss parks out the back with his car in view of the road (theres a field between his car and the road but you can see the road from a distance from there). I suspect there is a camera on his car for the road to watch me. Is this legal. The workplace does have cctv for the entrances etc which are obvs ok but is what hes doing legal with the cam on the car?

This is extremely unlikely.

Many cars are being fitted with dash cams to aid with insurance claims.

The resolution of you in doing your job on a dashcam across a field is likely so bad he couldn't make out who you are.

Relax. Do your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I agree with Tell_me_how.

I will add the following:

When you suspect things like this are happening, try to turn it into a positive.

a) You are doing your job, you're not skiving off (right?!), so you have nothing to worry about.
    b) This is a lovely opportunity to prove you are reliable, trustworthy.

But honestly I find it a bit odd your brain went all the way to thinking your boss is secretly filming you in public. I'm being genuine here. Do you suffer from a little bit of paranoia? It might be good to see if you can solve that, as I can't imagine it causes happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Sabrielle

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I agree with Tell_me_how.

I will add the following:

When you suspect things like this are happening, try to turn it into a positive.

a) You are doing your job, you're not skiving off (right?!), so you have nothing to worry about.
    b) This is a lovely opportunity to prove you are reliable, trustworthy.

But honestly I find it a bit odd your brain went all the way to thinking your boss is secretly filming you in public. I'm being genuine here. Do you suffer from a little bit of paranoia? It might be good to see if you can solve that, as I can't imagine it causes happiness.

Yaaas, I do get the sillyness factor of my question but I was more asking from a legal point of view on hidden cameras in the workplace not judgement (although I do admit to being super nosy).

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

Sabrielle wrote: »
    Yaaas, I do get the sillyness factor of my question but I was more asking from a legal point of view on hidden cameras in the workplace not judgement (although I do admit to being super nosy).[/QUO

from recent experience, my understanding is that if there is CCTV in a workplace and the appropriate notices are in place the employer can then add further cameras without having to notify staff etc.
    But him filming you on the road... is the public road considered your workplace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Recording staff in the workplace is acceptable but they need to be informed that recording is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Sabrielle

_Brian wrote: »
    Recording staff in the workplace is acceptable but they need to be informed that recording is happening.

Thanks Brian! That's what citizens information page implied but it didn't exactly say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Indeed.

Advertisement