Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job for landscaper or painter???

Options
  • 30-05-2018 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all, 
    I have a large deck in my back garden which needs a complete over haul, power hose, algae removal, stain etc. I also need the garden fence to be stained and I’d like to get a portion of the wall painted.  I genuinely don’t know if this is something that a garden maintenance service would do or a painter/decorator?
    As there is no actual gardening involved I was leaning towards a painter but not sure if they do decks?
    Before you all shout “just ring one” I thought I’d ask for some pearls of wisdom here :)
     Thanks, 
    DD 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I also need the garden fence to be stained
    If it's not stained/painted already, just leave it. Treated wood ages gracefully, whereas stained wood looks crap after a while, so as soon as you stain it you're creating regular maintenance for yourself.

Just my opinion....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

Thanks Lumen, the fence was stained previously and does indeed look crap so needs to be done again  :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Yeah it’s definitely a job for a painter decorator although you would get it done cheaper if you know a local handyman.all painters would have a power washer and they would do that washing fungicide spray and painting no bother.just have a quote got and if you are happy with the price all good.its definitely a job for a painter decorator as opposed to a gardener if you had to choose between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just to add to the confusion I am a gardener and it's certainly on my cv, so don't be embarrassed to ring any of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

A power-hose will deteriorate your deck, washing out the softer material from between the harder grain lines creating deeper fissures for the algae to establish. The best way is to scrub across the grain with a proprietary teak cleaner, as is practiced by the owners of yachts with teak decks. Follow up with a spray of Patio Magic from your local hardware. If you re-apply it every year you will never have green algae on it again. It doesn't show results immediately, but takes a week or two.
    Regarding the work, it's not worth while paying the rate for a tradesman to do such an undemanding job as putting on Fencelife or painting a garden wall, and you can just buy a seven-litre pressure sprayer in your hardware or garden centre for the annual application of Patio Magic.
    (N.B. I have no connection with the suppliers of the above named fungicide, just a satisfied user.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement