Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl self propelled lawnmower

Options
  • 30-05-2018 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Yes, I know, another lawnmower thread!
    But my ancient B&S hit a snag 2 weeks ago when the handle broke off from the chassis. Lower mower repair guy told me it would cost more to fix than buying a new one.

So just in time, Lidl have this on sale from tomorrow but not cheap at €300

FLORABEST Electronic-Start, Self Propelled, Petrol Lawn Mower
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=9476
    Engine Power 2.19kW (3.0hp) at 2800rpm
    Cubic capacity 150cc
    Tank volume 0.8L
    Collection box 60L
    -Reliable “Instant Start” electrical start system with long-life Li-Ion battery
    -Self Propelled
    -Easy-to-remove 60 litre collection box with carry handle
    -OHV 4 stroke petrol engine Briggs & Stratton 575 iS Series™

There's the 3yr guarantee also which to me makes it mroe attractive than buying from my local lawnmower shop where it's usually just 1 year.

I see in previous posts that people have said that Florabest mowers were actually McCullochs or Einhells.

Any thoughts on this one from the experts on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't know anything about this, but it looks a decent spec. I haven't seen any other similarly priced mowers with button start, hose cleaning.

But as you say, €300 is dear enough, it would buy you a decent used mower. I guess this 3yr warranty helps too.

Will be interesting to see if anyone has any opinions on this.

Edit: just checked the Great Big Lawnmower Thread, and theres some comments about it on there:
    Check out posts #2332 and 2333, and a few others after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Brilliant, thanks for that. How did that thread not show when I searched boards.ie yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

3hp seems low & there is the extra complication of the electric start & no pull cord if it goes wrong.

Over on that main lawnmower thread, Deezel seems to be saying that the battery option is better than pull cord if either were to go wrong on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pipitypippip

Aldi also have lawnmowers in stock from a few weeks back seen them in my local,think they are under 200.

• Advertisement

Just picked up that mower in Lidl. It's a big boy and took 2 of us to lift it into the back of the car.
    Need to get oil and fuel for it and will then report back on it later

Yeah, keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Got one also , Was at the store @ 8 , Think there were 8 on the pallet and one other guy was getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

TimHorton wrote: »
    Got one also , Was at the store @ 8 , Think there were 8 on the pallet and one other guy was getting one.

So thats at least two reviews we'll be getting :D

Where, oh where, can I get SAE 30 oil?
    Doesn't seem to be the most highly stocked item around the country! Even Halfords don't have it, neither do they have 10W/30.

edit- looks like 5w/30 will work just as good so going to opt for that. Should be easier found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Motor factors generally would have it. Surprised halfords not having 10w30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

SAE 30 - anywhere that sells lawn mowers including, Woodies, Glambia, Homebase and most Builders Merchants.

Just gave the lawn 2 cuts there as it'd been a while.

Impressed by the overall look of the mower out of the box. I'm no petrol head or DIY guy so it took me a while to put together even the few pieces that needed assembling. The grass box itself took me an hour :o

The push button start is the business. A few times it started on the first touch. A couple of times it needed the 3 or 4 seconds advised in the manual.
    The drive on it is good but not like I'd imagined it would be. It seems slow. I would definitely push the mower at a faster pace but perhaps I go too fast. But it goes along nicely, a bit of getting used too with the take off initially,

Very impressed so far and the 3yr guarantee provides the peace of mind needed in case anything goes wrong in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

i also got one of these today. Im in 2 minds on this. Firstly the grey plastic cover was missing from one of the large rear wheels. There were also some scuff marks on the body. Nothing to get in a heap over tbh. I added the oil and some petrol and fired her up without issue. However the self propelled function is playing up It engages fine but when i release the handle the self propelled function stays on intermittently which is a nuisance but also dangerous. Ill ring customer care tomorrow and let ye know how i get on

The self drive seems to run for a couple of feet after the release I noticed. So I just allowed for that as I approached walls/trees.
    Mine had a few marks too and I got the feeling it had been repackaged i.e. the mulcher was already in place in the mower and 2 of the clips on the grass box were broken off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

My one was immaculate with no sign of scuff or damage - Had to peel off sellaphane from engine etc.. , I also have the intermittent disengagement of the drive. But overall it looks like it is a good buy.

jay0109 wrote: »
    The self drive seems to run for a couple of feet after the release I noticed. So I just allowed for that as I approached walls/trees.
    Mine had a few marks too and I got the feeling it had been repackaged i.e. the mulcher was already in place in the mower and 2 of the clips on the grass box were broken off

I also had a clip broken but was able to build the ox otherwise.I'd take a replacement tbh as the self propelled thing would frustrate me.

steps_3314 wrote: »
    i also got one of these today. Im in 2 minds on this. Firstly the grey plastic cover was missing from one of the large rear wheels. There were also some scuff marks on the body. Nothing to get in a heap over tbh. I added the oil and some petrol and fired her up without issue. However the self propelled function is playing up It engages fine but when i release the handle the self propelled function stays on intermittently which is a nuisance but also dangerous. Ill ring customer care tomorrow and let ye know how i get on

If mine was like this, I'd be taking it back to get another one.

It sounds like it was clearly out to someone else and returned. since you have no idea what they did with it, I'd prefer a fresh one, untouched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

every body is taken back by the electric start no pull cord as some say here self drive problems and clips broken off grass box etc time will tell with these mowers at the end of the day its a lidl mower b and q are doing an electric start mower for 380 euro two year warrenty 338 euro on wednesday and thursday with over sixty.s b and q card same engine as the lidl one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭brevity

jay0109 wrote: »
    The grass box itself took me an hour :o

I can't put mine together, it's missing the screws. Very frustrating. Were yours just in the plastic bag?

I rang them today and the Lidl team were lovely but whoever they transferred me to was ignorant as ****. Talking over me, not listening and shouting down the phone.

Any chance you know what type of screws they are, I'll pick some up when I'm getting the oil.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    I can't put mine together, it's missing the screws. Very frustrating. Were yours just in the plastic bag?

I rang them today and the Lidl team were lovely but whoever they transferred me to was ignorant as ****. Talking over me, not listening and shouting down the phone.

Any chance you know what type of screws they are, I'll pick some up when I'm getting the oil.

some self tapping screws will do the job thats the thing with lidl is if apart is missing who cares a hardware should have some screws even bring the box with ye

brevity wrote: »

Aye, I had a bag of screws, no idea what size/type they are I'm afraid. A screw's a screw to me!

Anyone notice that the petrol consumption is a bit high. find myself topping up more often than with old lawnmower..perhaps the older one simply uses more. tbf Lidl have come back and gave me the details for a Service Partner so I can still call them out to have a look which I now think I will as the self propelled issue is not great

i see a lot stores still have a good few of them some of the boxes look worse for were some like being open and re sealed

I defo felt that the box mine came in had been opened and resealed.
    A bit shoddy from Lidl, not their usual form

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

These lawnmowers are cheap for a reason folks... cos they're crap. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.. save up and buy once and buy right, I'd recommend a honda but opt for the plastic frame and you'll not need to worry about corrosion. I got gifted a nearly new Hyundai lawnmower.. It would take 10 hard pulls to start it. The honda goes on the first attempt. And it well worthwhile changing the oil every year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Had a coupe of these before, only lasted 1-2yrs.

These days it's a wee cheap qualcast twin battery thing (free strimmer came with it),
    it'll probably going to save 150 notes easy in petrol alone, just over the summer.
    Then there's the maintence factor, i.e. these isn't any.

Narrower cut yes, but does the job far faster (put runners on, not boots).
    When done, the wee thing can be lifted into storage using two fingers.

*Will never buy a petrol machine ever again.*

Likely in 5yrs it'll all be robotic auto-bots that cut the lawn.

Had a coupe of these before, only lasted 1-2yrs.

These days it's a wee cheap qualcast twin battery thing (free strimmer came with it),
    it'll probably going to save 150 notes easy in petrol alone, just over the summer.
    Then there's the maintence factor, i.e. these isn't any.

Narrower cut yes, but does the job far faster (put runners on, not boots).
    When done, the wee thing can be lifted into storage using two fingers.

*Will never buy a petrol machine ever again.*

Likely in 5yrs it'll all be robotic auto-bots that cut the lawn.

sorry but cant follow your message. what r u recommending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

steps_3314 wrote: »
    sorry but cant follow your message. what r u recommending

Unless you're cutting an acre, a wee cordless e-mower can be faster/better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Very pleased with mine. Can't fault it in any aspect. Great value for Eur300.

Advertisement