Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Europa League

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

fullstop wrote: »
    Who's that?

Milner jk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If Spurs finish 4th, lose to Liverpool in the CL final, and Arsenal win the Europa League, does that mean Spurs would miss out on CL football next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

fullstop wrote: »
    Who's that?

Graham Alexander. Who else? He took a million of them throughout his career and very rarely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

If Spurs finish 4th, lose to Liverpool in the CL final, and Arsenal win the Europa League, does that mean Spurs would miss out on CL football next season?

No 5 teams in the CL from England then, no team can miss out, only Arsenal if they lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Nope, only way 4th can lose out is if both the CL and EL winners finish outside the Top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

No, the top 4 are guaranteed CL football. The Premier League will have 5 teams featuring next season if Arsenal win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Kirby wrote: »
    Graham Alexander. Who else? He took a million of them throughout his career and very rarely missed.

Oh yes, he of the straight run up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Best result of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Bad for football.

Bad for the UEFA bods in Switzerland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

If UEFA want to fix this "issue", then stop messing with both the group stages and the last 16 draw. If you keep teams apart, it's more likely they meet in the latter stages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Feel sorry for Frankfurt. They've had a great season but now relying on finishing fourth to get CL football and still have to play Bayern before the season's out. Will be tough.

I would feel sorry for Bayern as they have to play Leipzig before that game as well.

That's their title under risk if Dortmund wins their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

jacool wrote: »
    If UEFA want to fix this "issue", then stop messing with both the group stages and the last 16 draw. If you keep teams apart, it's more likely they meet in the latter stages!

Yeah, but they don't want Real Madrid v Barcelona early on and one of them getting knocked out!

Methinks UEFA might just look at what they can do to try and fix the 'issue' though!

I don't think there is an issue. Apart from Arsenal in the semis, three other English teams could have been kicked out and there would be four teams from 4 different European leagues. If it wasn't for outstanding CL games from Liverpool and Spurs in the second leg and a bit of luck (penalty experience more like) in the Chelsea game we wouldnt even discussed it.

I have no much issue with it although I would prefer more mixed pairs. Still derby game brought to the European area sounds good to me.

Fair play to all teams for providing outstanding entertainment in the semi finals. Extra time in Chelsea game was a good drama too.

I enjoyed all the games. Let's hope the finals will reach that level of joy regardless of who you support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If Liverpool win the champions league and arsenal Win the EL does that mean united qualify for the champions league?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If Liverpool win the champions league and arsenal Win the EL does that mean united qualify for the champions league?

United will get Europa League.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/champions-league/how-many-english-teams-will-play-in-2019-20-champions-league-1.3886788

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

We need a sticky explaining the various permutations of English teams winning both European competitions.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

UEFA have allocated just 6,000 tickets for the fans of Arsenal and Chelsea in a stadium of 68,000. Really looking out for the fans as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Stephen15 wrote: »
    UEFA have allocated just 6,000 tickets for the fans of Arsenal and Chelsea in a stadium of 68,000. Really looking out for the fans as usual.

I got 2 tickets through the UEFA portal a few weeks ago went about booking flights and they were about €1,000 return each.

Wasnt worth it in the end so I declined the tickets.

Having it in Baku which is pretty much Asia, is a bit of a bo**ocks for anyone travelling but giving fans that allocation is a joke.

I think when it was on in Amsterdam when we beat Benfica, the fans got 13.5k allocation and the rest went to the UEFA portal.

UEFA, have done well to ensure that the real fans cant get tickets to either final this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Clubs and imo also the governments must step in to stop the advantage that is being taken of football fans.

The minute Liverpool qualified for the final the price for tickets to Madrid went up at least threefold. And it's still rising I believe.

From 150 to 500 pounds IIRC.
    If this would happen to normal tourists the media would be full of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So I wonder how we see the finals going due to the fact it's 2 EPL games.

Will they be different cos they are euro finals, or just like games we often get served up on Super Sunday, when it's anything but super?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

NIMAN wrote: »

Will they be different cos they are euro finals, or just like games we often get served up on Super Sunday, when it's anything but super?

European refs make it different along with VAR there maybe better refs than what we have seen this season in the PL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

NIMAN wrote: »

Arsenal - Chelsea imo will be a borefest.

However Liverpool - Spurs ? That's gonna be a cracker.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

European refs make it different along with VAR there maybe better refs than what we have seen this season in the PL

Plenty of rubbish refs in Europe too.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I got 2 tickets through the UEFA portal a few weeks ago went about booking flights and they were about €1,000 return each.

Wasnt worth it in the end so I declined the tickets.

Having it in Baku which is pretty much Asia, is a bit of a bo**ocks for anyone travelling but giving fans that allocation is a joke.

I think when it was on in Amsterdam when we beat Benfica, the fans got 13.5k allocation and the rest went to the UEFA portal.

UEFA, have done well to ensure that the real fans cant get tickets to either final this year.

Agreed it's a joke having it in Baku next step will be to have it in Doha or Beijing.

Is this the first time there have been two European finals contested by four sides from the one countries. It's been mentioned that it's the time both finals are all English affairs for the first time but is it the first time ever this has happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Stephen15 wrote:
    Is this the first time there have been two European finals contested by four sides from the one countries. It's been mentioned that it's the time both finals are all English affairs for the first time but is it the first time ever this has happened?

Defo the 1st time that 1 city provided 3/4 finalists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yep.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1126604527069794305

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I got 2 tickets through the UEFA portal a few weeks ago went about booking flights and they were about €1,000 return each. Wasnt worth it in the end so I declined the tickets.

6,000 tickets is an absolute disgrace and you need a visa also. The visa requirement has not been waived, as of this morning. The cost of flights is a joke also. Just like yourself, I declined my tickets. Just couldn't justify spending €1K+ for a few days in Baku. I've been to a few EL finals, including our final in Manchester, the Chelsea one in Amsterdam and they were affordable trips. Was looking at going to the Super cup final is in Istanbul in August. Flights for that are €360 at the moment. Reckon it'd be like a training game given the weather over there in August and the date of the game though.

Advertisement