Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some exciting televised matches on offer tomorrow.

Salzburg vs Leipzig, Rosenborg vs Celtic and Betis vs Olympiacos interest me the most out of the early ones; Rangers vs Villarreal and Eintracht vs Marseille out of the evening offerings.

Decided to watch Rosenborg vs Celtic and Salzburg vs Leipzig out of the early games. Team news:
    Rosenborg XI: Hansen; Hedenstad, Hovland, Reginiussen, Meling; Jensen, Trondsen, Konradsen; De Lanlay, Bendtner, Adegbenro.

Celtic XI: Gordon; Lustig, Boyata, Benkovic, Tierney; McGregor, Christie, Rogic; Sinclair, Forrest; Edouard.
    Salzburg XI: Walke; Lainer, Ramalho, Pongracic, Ulmer; Schlager, Wolf, Samassekou, Junuzovic; Dabbur, Gulbrandsen.

Leipzig XI: Mvogo; Mukiele, Orban, Upamecano, Saracchi; Laimer, Ilsanker, Bruma; Cunha, Augustin, Werner.

Pretty much a must-win game for Celtic to keep their hopes of advancing alive. I hope they do it.

The reverse fixture of Salzburg/Leipzig was a great game that the Austrians won 3-2. Hoping for more of the same. Dabbur is an exciting striker for them and has been linked with Premier League clubs. I also rate their RB Lainer. Have a feeling Leipzig might edge this though as I like their front players a lot.

Early games yesterday were disappointing but expecting the ones here to deliver good action.

1-0 Celtic as Sinclair heads in from a nice Forrest cross. It was coming. Forrest has had a good half and went close a few minutes earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Finally Celtic get the breakthrough. Have been in total control but couldn’t put the ball in the net.

James Forrest is in some form

Goalless in Austria. Salzburg have had the better of things but Werner missed a good chance for Leipzig just before half-time when defender Ramalho slipped and let him through on goal only for him to shoot wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Betis up 1-0 against Olympiakos. Good goal by Canales and we also missed a penalty. However, Olympiakos are playing well and have had their chances as well.

Oh my goodness. Milan are 2-1 down at home to bottom of the group Dudelange (of Luxembourg).

Oh my goodness. Milan are 2-1 down at home to bottom of the group Dudelange (of Luxembourg).

Hahaha WTF

William Carvalho is playing terrible, Olympiakos are going to score.

• Advertisement

Milan have equalised as Cutrone gets his second. Scratch that, think it's an O.G. rather than Cutrone's second. 2-2 anyway.

Update: And now 3-2 Milan as Calhanoglu strikes from outside the box. Guess no upset coming.

Salzburg lead Leipzig though Gulbrandsen. They've been knocking on the door and have the breakthrough.

Betis won 1-0 in the end. Made extremely hard work of It though.

Full-Time and Salzburg have beaten Leipzig by a goal for the second time in the group. Such an impressive side and were very close to making last season's Europa League final. I can see why Hoffenheim reportedly want their coach Marco Rose to take over from Nagelsmann next summer.

Celtic have won 1-0 away in Norway meaning a point against Salzburg next month should see them through.

Milan won comfortably 5-2 in the end.

Teams for Rangers vs Villarreal:
    Rangers XI: McGregor; Tavernier, Goldson, Worrall, Flanagan; Coulibaly, Jack, Arfield; Candeias, Middleton, Morelos.

Villarreal XI: Fernandez; Mario, Alvaro, Funes Mori, Jaume Costa; Caseres, Morlanes, Trigueros, Fornals; Ekambi, Bacca.

Hoping for a few goals from Toko Ekambi.

Was going to keep an eye on Eintracht vs Marseille too but I see Marseille have picked a B team since they're out so I won't bother.

Good chance for Rangers as the CB Goldson fires over.

At the other end, Toko Ekambi was one on one with McGregor and the keeper saved well.

Good game threatening to break out here.

Update: McGregor denies Toko Ekambi again with a great stop. Can't pass up these chances.

• Advertisement

Candeias has been sent off for Rangers. Ref gave him a yellow and then the linesman appeared to have to remind him that it was in fact a second yellow for the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Candeias has been sent off for Rangers. Ref gave him a yellow and then the linesman appeared to have to remind him that it was a second yellow for the player.

Well deserved.

Despite his childish nonsense

La Liga leaders Sevilla are a goal down away to Standard Liege.

Update: And to make matters worse for the Spanish side, substitute Sarabia has been sent off for a stamp.

Sevilla's final game is at home to group-topping Krasnodar. They'd likely have to beat them to be sure of going through. Wouldn't be easy as Sevilla were beaten by them 2-1 in Russia in the reverse fixture.

Marseille's Luiz Gustavo showing off his finishing skills, unfortunately in the wrong net.

https://twitter.com/VMSportIE/status/1068256127241125890

And his teammate Bouna Sarr gets in on the act with an O.G. of his own...

https://twitter.com/lightmo_ve/status/1068256177983762435

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Allan McGregor is absolutely unbeatable tonight. Could be 3 or 4 nil to Villareal without him.

• Advertisement

Incredible sequence of play at the end of Standard Liege vs Sevilla. Need to find a gif of that as it was hilarious. Don't know how Liege didn't add a second.

Full-Time at Ibrox. Very creditable draw for Rangers. Wanted Toko Ekambi to get a goal but he disappointed me. Missed the big chances and I thought his link-up play was poor. I was impressed with their midfielder Morlanes. Only 19 apparently and I thought his passing was excellent. McGregor crucial for Rangers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Match Day 5 Results
    Group A

Zürich (SUI) 1 V 2 AEK Larnaca (CYP)
    Bayer Leverkusen (GER) 1 V 1 Ludogorets (BUL)

Group B
    Salzburg (AUT) 1 V 0 RB Leipzig (GER)
    Rosenborg (NOR) 0 V 1 Celtic (SCO)

Group C
    Zenit (RUS) 1 V 0 København (DEN)
    Bordeaux (FRA) 2 V 0 Slavia Praha (CZE)

Group D
    Anderlecht (BEL) 0 V 0 Spartak Trnava (SVK)
    Fenerbahçe (TUR) 0 V 0 Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)

Group E
    Qarabağ (AZE) 1 V 6 Sporting CP (POR)
    Vorskla Poltava (UKR) 0 V 3 Arsenal (ENG)

Group F
    AC Milan (ITA) 5 V 2 Dudelange (LUX)
    Real Betis (ESP) 1 V 0 Olympiacos (GRE)

Group G
    Rangers (SCO) 0 V 0 Villarreal (ESP)
    Spartak Moskva (RUS) 1 V 2 Rapid Wien (AUT)

Group H
    Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) 4 V 0 Marseille (FRA)
    Apollon (CYP) 2 V 0 Lazio (ITA)

Group I
    Sarpsborg (NOR) 2 V 3 Beşiktaş (TUR)
    Malmö (SWE) 2 V 2 Genk (BEL)

Group J
    Krasnodar (RUS) 2 V 1 Akhisar Belediyespor (TUR)
    Standard Liège (BEL) 1 V 0 Sevilla (ESP)

Group K
    Astana (KAZ) 0 V 1 Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
    Jablonec (CZE) 0 V 1 Rennes (FRA)

Group L
    BATE Borisov (BLR) 2 V 0 Vidi (HUN)
    Chelsea (ENG) 4 V 0 PAOK (GRE)

On to the Last 32
    Group A

Bayer Leverkusen (GER)
    Zürich (SUI)

Group B
    Salzburg (AUT)

Group C
    Zenit (RUS)

Group D
    Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
    Fenerbahçe (TUR)

Group E
    Arsenal (ENG)
    Sporting CP (POR)

Group F
    Real Betis (ESP)
    AC Milan (ITA)

Group G

Group H
    Eintracht Frankfurt (GER)
    Lazio (ITA)

Group I

Group J

Group K
    Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)

Group L
    Chelsea (ENG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Celtic have done well in their group considering there are two Red Bull-owned teams in it.

I'm going for both Celtic and Rangers to break through to the knockout stage.

Incredible sequence of play at the end of Standard Liege vs Sevilla. Need to find a gif of that as it was hilarious. Don't know how Liege didn't add a second.

Best I can find:

https://twitter.com/HotHandGambling/status/1068262632057200640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Celtic just need a point against Salzburg to qualify. I wonder will Salzburg pull out all the stocks to help their sister club qualify. If Celtic lose and Leipzig win, Celtic are gone.

Rangers' group is too close to call, but I hope both teams get dumped out so Arsenal won't have to share our market pool with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Full-Time at Ibrox. Very creditable draw for Rangers. Wanted Toko Ekambi to get a goal but he disappointed me. Missed the big chances and I thought his link-up play was poor. I was impressed with their midfielder Morlanes. Only 19 apparently and I thought his passing was excellent. McGregor crucial for Rangers too.
    That Toko Ekambi could still be there and he wouldn't have scored, should've been hauled off early in the game. An excuse of a footballer.

Who Needs what on last game
    Group A

Ludogorets (BUL) V Zürich (SUI)
    AEK Larnaca (CYP) V Bayer Leverkusen (GER)

Bayer Leverkusen (GER) - are through and will top the group with a win or if Zürich (SUI) do not win
    Zürich (SUI) - are through and will top the group with a win and Bayer Leverkusen (GER) do not win
    Ludogorets (BUL) & AEK Larnaca (CYP) are out.

Group B
    Celtic (SCO) V Salzburg (AUT)
    RB Leipzig (GER) V Rosenborg (NOR)

Salzburg (AUT) - have won the group
    Celtic (SCO) - need a point to go through
    RB Leipzig (GER) - must win and hope Celtic (SCO) lose
    Rosenborg (NOR) - are out

Group C
    Slavia Praha (CZE) V Zenit (RUS)
    København (DEN) V Bordeaux (FRA)

Zenit (RUS) - have won the group
    Slavia Praha (CZE) - will go through with a draw or if København (DEN) do not win
    København (DEN) - must win and hope Slavia Praha (CZE) lose
    Bordeaux (FRA) - must win and hope Slavia Praha (CZE) lose

Group D
    Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) V Anderlecht (BEL)
    Spartak Trnava (SVK) V Fenerbahçe (TUR)

Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) - have won the group
    Fenerbahçe (TUR) - groun runners-up
    Spartak Trnava (SVK) & Anderlecht (BEL) are out

Group E
    Arsenal (ENG) V Qarabağ (AZE)
    Sporting CP (POR) V Vorskla Poltava (UKR)

Arsenal (ENG) - have won the group
    Sporting CP (POR) - group runners-up
    Qarabağ (AZE) & Vorskla Poltava (UKR) are out

Group F
    Olympiacos (GRE) V AC Milan (ITA)
    Dudelange (LUX) V Real Betis (ESP)

Real Betis (ESP) - are through and will finish 1st with a win or if AC Milan (ITA) do not win
    AC Milan (ITA) - will be through with a draw with Olympiacos (GRE) or if they lose by one goal or by any two goal margin apart from 2-0 & 3-1. They will finish first with a win and Real Betis (ESP) do not
    Olympiacos (GRE) - must beat AC Milan (ITA) 2-0, 3-1 or by three goals to progress
    Dudelange (LUX) - are out

Group G
    Rapid Wien (AUT) V Rangers (SCO)
    Villarreal (ESP) V Spartak Moskva (RUS)

Villarreal (ESP) - will go through with a draw will finish top with a win
    Rapid Wien (AUT) - will be through with a win or a draw, will finish top if they win and Villarreal (ESP) do not
    Rangers (SCO) - must win to go through
    Spartak Moskva (RUS) - must win to go through

Group H
    Lazio (ITA) V Eintracht Frankfurt (GER)
    Marseille (FRA) V Apollon (CYP)

Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) - group winners
    Lazio (ITA) - group runners-up
    Marseille (FRA) & Apollon (CYP) are out

Group I
    Genk (BEL) V Sarpsborg (NOR)
    Beşiktaş (TUR) V Malmö (SWE)

Genk (BEL) - will be through if they avoid defeat, but out if they lose (as they would lose out either in a two-way head-to-head with Sarpsborg (NOR) or a three-way tie-break also involving Beşiktaş (TUR))
    Beşiktaş (TUR) - will be through if they avoid defeat (if they draw and Sarpsborg (NOR) win, in the three-way head-to-head Beşiktaş (TUR) would be top and Sarpsborg second ahead of Genk (BEL)). Beşiktaş (TUR) are out if they lose.
    Malmö (SWE) - must win to go through
    Sarpsborg (NOR) - must win to go through

Group J
    Sevilla (ESP) V Krasnodar (RUS)
    Akhisar Belediyespor (TUR) V Standard Liège (BEL)

Krasnodar (RUS) - need a point to go through as winners but will be through with a loss by four goals or less or any defeat if Standard Liège (BEL) do not win.
    Sevilla (ESP) - will be through if they win or at least match Standard Liège (BEL) result
    Standard Liège (BEL) - must pick up more points than Sevilla (ESP) or win and hope Krasnodar (RUS) lost by five or more goals
    Akhisar Belediyespor (TUR) - are out

Group K
    Rennes (FRA) V Astana (KAZ)
    Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) V Jablonec (CZE)

Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) - are group winners
    Astana (KAZ) - will go through they avoid defeat at Rennes (FRA)
    Rennes (FRA) - must win to go through
    Jablonec (CZE) - are out

Group L
    PAOK (GRE) V BATE Borisov (BLR)
    Vidi (HUN) V Chelsea (ENG)

Chelsea (ENG) - are group winners
    BATE Borisov (BLR) - will be through if they win or if they and Vidi (HUN) draw
    Vidi (HUN) - will be through if they pick up more points than BATE Borisov (BLR)
    PAOK (GRE) - will finish 2nd if they win and Vidi (HUN) lose

Match Day 6
    17:55 Kick-Offs
    Group G

Rapid Wien (AUT) V Rangers (SCO) - Live on BT Sport 3
    Villarreal (ESP) V Spartak Moskva (RUS) - Live on BT Sport ESPN

Group H
    Lazio (ITA) V Eintracht Frankfurt (GER)
    Marseille (FRA) V Apollon (CYP)

Group I
    Genk (BEL) V Sarpsborg (NOR)
    Beşiktaş (TUR) V Malmö (SWE) - Live on BT Sport 1

Group J
    Sevilla (ESP) V Krasnodar (RUS)
    Akhisar Belediyespor (TUR) V Standard Liège (BEL)

Group K
    Rennes (FRA) V Astana (KAZ)
    Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) V Jablonec (CZE)

Group L
    PAOK (GRE) V BATE Borisov (BLR)
    Vidi (HUN) V Chelsea (ENG) - Live on BT Sport 2

20:00 Kick-Offs
    Group A

Ludogorets (BUL) V Zürich (SUI)
    AEK Larnaca (CYP) V Bayer Leverkusen (GER)

Group B
    Celtic (SCO) V Salzburg (AUT) - Live on BT Sport 3
    RB Leipzig (GER) V Rosenborg (NOR) - Live on BT Sport ESPN

Group C
    Slavia Praha (CZE) V Zenit (RUS)
    København (DEN) V Bordeaux (FRA)

Group D
    Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) V Anderlecht (BEL)
    Spartak Trnava (SVK) V Fenerbahçe (TUR)

Group E
    Arsenal (ENG) V Qarabağ (AZE) - Live on BT Sport 2
    Sporting CP (POR) V Vorskla Poltava (UKR)

Group F
    Olympiacos (GRE) V AC Milan (ITA) - Live on BT Sport 1
    Dudelange (LUX) V Real Betis (ESP)

Some exciting choices of games on offer, especially in the evening games. Big contrast to the Champions League where most of the groups were decided by the time we got to the final day.

Not sure what to watch for the late games but going to check out Villarreal vs Spartak and Sevilla vs Krasnodar for the early kick-offs. Both Spanish sides need to win to be sure of a place in the next round.
    Villarreal XI: Andres Fernandez; Mario, Alvaro, Vor Ruiz, Jaume Costa; Fornals, Caseres, Javi Fuego; Chukwueze; Gerard Moreno, Toko Ekambi.

Spartak XI: Maksimenko; Rasskazov, Dzhikia, Kutepov, Melgarejo; Lomovitski, Popov, Glushakov, Hanni; Luiz Adriano, Ze Luis.
    Sevilla XI: Vaclik; Promes, Mercado, Carrico, Sergi Gomez, Escudero; Vazquez, Banega, Roque Mesa; Ben Yedder, Andre Silva.

Krasnodar XI: Kritsyuk; Petrov, Fjoluson, Martynovich, Ramirez; Gazinskiy, Kabore, Pereyra; Ignatyev, Wanderson, Claesson.

Want to see Toko Ekambi do better after his disappointing showing last time against Rangers. Hope to see Andre Silva get a goal as well.

Think the competition will be more interesting with the La Liga sides continuing so I won't be backing the underdogs on this occasion.

1-0 Sevilla. Ben Yedder with a nice finish with the outside of his boot after poor defending.

Almost an equaliser but Ignatyev puts it wide. Great chance.

2-0 Sevilla. Ben Yedder gets another one.

And Chukwueze has given Villarreal the lead against Spartak. Going well for the La Liga sides.

Half-Time. Villarreal keeper Andres had to make a good save from a powerful shot by Hanni.

2-0 Villarreal. Toko Ekambi gets on the scoresheet.

3-0 Sevilla via Banega's penalty. Krasnodar down to ten men. That should be that. Going to switch to the Rangers game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Quaresma sent off for being a waste of space....oh sorry it was for a bad stamp.
    Besiktas going out at home to Malmo & down to 10 men. What a difference a year makes, think they topped a CL group last season.

Vienna have scored. Looks like Rangers are heading out. Six minutes left and they need two goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Goodnight, Vienna...says to Rangers:P

I see Ismaila Sarr has two goals for Rennes to send them through. One of them was another stunner. One of Ligue 1's most exciting prospects.

https://twitter.com/RoazhonSpart/status/1073302438877257729

Full-Time and confirmation that Rangers are out.
    Celtic XI: Gordon; Lustig, Simunovic, Benkovic, Tierney; McGregor, Rogic, Christie; Forrest, Sinclair, Edouard.

Salzburg XI: Walke; Lainer, Ramalho, Onguene, Ulmer; Mwepu, Samassekou, Wolf, Junuzovic; Minamino, Dabour.

Surprised Salzburg have picked such a strong side. Think it will be tough for Celtic to win but a draw I could see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I

Surprised Salzburg have picked such a strong side. Think it will be tough for Celtic to win but a draw I could see.

That is unusual. On an entirely separate point, I'm sure Red Bull Leipzig will be happy to see Red Bull Salzburg put out a strong side given they need Red Bull Salzburg to beat Celtic in order to qualify themselves

LiamoSail wrote: »
    That is unusual. On an entirely separate point, I'm sure Red Bull Leipzig will be happy to see Red Bull Salzburg put out a strong side given they need Red Bull Salzburg to beat Celtic in order to qualify themselves

Salzburg went all out to beat Leipzig in the previous round when a draw would have been sufficient for them to win the group.

I looked up their domestic league position and they're 14 points clear at the top of the table so I think that explains why they didn't rest anyone. They don't need to.

Samassekou went close there with an effort that hit the post.

Gordon with a big save as Wolf was through one on one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Salzburg went all out to beat Leipzig in the previous round when a draw would have been sufficient for them to win the group.

I looked up their domestic league position and they're 14 points clear at the top of the table so I think that explains why they didn't rest anyone. They don't need to.

Samassekou went close there with an effort that hit the post.

Gordon with a big save as Wolf was through one on one.

Yea, the issue is though that in having two Red Bull sides in the same group, there is scope there for collusion of sorts.

Ironically enough, the sporting thing to do is for Salzburg to put out a full straight side, so any collision would aid sporting integrity

Leipzig have the lead. Cunha with a deflected shot.

Update: Celtic's Ryan Christie stretchered off after hurting himself making a good block. All Celtic's subs made now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

davycc wrote: »

You sound surprised.....

Milan 1 down & on the ropes. When I consider Cahlanoglu a shyte Ozil does that stress how little I rate him??
    Strikers have had a hatfull of chances they've made a mess of too.

Dabbur scores for Salzburg with a header. A little over twenty minutes for Celtic to save themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Salzburg a goal up on Celtic. Austria taking revenge on Scotland tonight for...some historical wrong...

Roque Junior sorry Zapata scores an og for Olympiakos who are going through on this scoreline.

Just switched over to the Milan game to see Olympiakos now lead 2-0.

And as soon as I write that Milan instantly hit back. 2-1. Zapata's goal. Milan with the advantage now.

• Advertisement

The embarrassment gets a goal but there is more goals in this game tho.

Gordon keeps Celtic in it with a close range save from Dabbur.

Seems like Salzburg's Ramalho was struck by an object thrown from the stands when celebrating Dabbur's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A Salzburg player hit by something thrown from the crowd.

Calamity for Celtic!

Gordon with a howler as he throws the ball into the path of Gulbrandsen for a tap in. 2-0. Surely all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Gordon just did a Karius!!! Disaster

• Advertisement
Advertisement