Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house: Maps and boundaries

Options
  • 30-05-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a new build (which is finally approaching completion). My solicitor is on holidays at the moment, so hoping someone will have some knowledge of this.

The seller has provided a "map" of the boundaries, which has no scale, no compass - it's pretty much just a sales brochure style map with a red box around "my" house and garden.

My solicitor asked me to get my engineer to confirm the boundaries.
    The engineer did the snagging (very thorough list) and said "the boundaries look fine to me at a glance, and the seller has to provide a certificate of identity at closing"
    My solicitor wants my engineer to give written confirmation, but he's adamant that the seller must provide this certificate of identity. He can do a survey, tying in with ordnance survey maps etc (presumably for a fee), but I can't figure out if he just doesn't want to do it, or if he's right that in that it's something that would always be provided by the seller, and is trying to save me money.

As a new build, there is no existing land registry for the property, and I (my solicitor) will be registering the property for the first time.

Do I go ahead and ask my engineer to do the ordnance survey survey anyway and issue a certificate of identity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Red boxy thing on a ****ey map was exactly what I had to deal with, it's the folio map (wrong terminology I'm sure). The solicitor was happy enough with me saying yeah it's grand.

Advertisement